Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

JcDent posted:

By the by, I was reading cold war/airpower thread yesterday (major backlog) and there was a link to Harrier crashes and holy poo poo :stonk: why did they keep it for so long when it seems to crash into birds/mountains/ground for no reason and lose control in clouds? It seems that it ate about three USCM pilots a year in 70s and 80s (wiki doesn't say much about British casualties), so why did they keep it? And what the hell is wrong with it, if most crashes had nothing to do with VTOL?

OORAH HENDERSON FIELD OORAH GUADALCANAL OORAH OORAH

Hope that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

JcDent posted:

Maybe your fake moustache and cod piece are extremely convincing?

I've seen enough bodies on the internet not to harbor any illusions about the beauty of the human body, so I'm happy not to see naked-people-who-are-not-my-girlfirend that often :stare:

I wonder how hosed up would be we look to early moderns, and how hosed up will we be to folks 300 years from now.

By the by, I was reading cold war/airpower thread yesterday (major backlog) and there was a link to Harrier crashes and holy poo poo :stonk: why did they keep it for so long when it seems to crash into birds/mountains/ground for no reason and lose control in clouds? It seems that it ate about three USCM pilots a year in 70s and 80s (wiki doesn't say much about British casualties), so why did they keep it? And what the hell is wrong with it, if most crashes had nothing to do with VTOL?

IIRC, the issue was the initial material they used with the jet nozzles, which had the alarming tendency to detach. Eventually they replaced that.

Otherwise it's a generally difficult plane to operate and maintain.

Why didn't they replace it? Because replacing a fleet of military jets is freaking hard, especially since the Harrier is the only plane that can operate off certain small carriers, so you'd have to replace *those* as well. Look at the F35 which is supposedly going to replace the Harrier, and ask whether the military could reasonably have inserted an additional generation of fighters between the Harrier and that. Ultimately how much money will the Pentagon spend to save the lives of a couple of dozen pilots? It apparently isn't $1.3 trillion and counting, not back in the 70s and 80s.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 16, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, yes, Cold War thread seems to be hitting F-35 every few pages. By their reasoning, seems there's no reason to have Harriers when you have helos and carrier air wings.

Similarly how you don't need VTSOL on F-35.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

I wonder how hosed up would be we look to early moderns
We don't defend ourselves when attacked, which means we're cowards

We don't defend ourselves when insulted, which means the allegations are probably true

We prefer a swift, painless death, which is probably immoral and definitely creepy: if someone dies suddenly of natural causes they have probably been carried off by demons, and if you don't know what's going on when you're dying you can't prepare your soul

For that matter, many of us aren't religious at all, nor do our governments promote the public welfare by trying to make us be

We let people die instead of helping them with food or medical care

Capitalism--not just "making money," which they do with vigor and a lack of self-consciousness (the Koch brothers hide from public view, Wallenstein builds a palace on all of his estates and covers the ceilings with artistic representations of weapons), but the whole capitalism...thing

The lack of corruption in government. Why wouldn't your sovereign give you and your family gifts...does this mean they don't like you :ohdear:

Edit: Oh yeah, we're not worried about witchcraft. How do you know someone isn't trying to attack you with magic right now

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 16, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

HEY GAL posted:

For that matter, many of us aren't religious at all, nor do our governments promote the public welfare by trying to make us be

On that note, was there a sense that lack of faith would lead directly into disaster? I.E. The early modern equivalent of those nutters going "God sends hurricanes because American abandoned God/because of gays" and the like. I know people would sometimes attribute their victories in battle to God, but did they attribute their defeats to insufficient devotion as well?

HEY GAL posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, we're not worried about witchcraft. How do you know someone isn't trying to attack you with magic right now

I don't know about the rest of the Internet, but we are protected, at least.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

On that note, was there a sense that lack of faith would lead directly into disaster? I.E. The early modern equivalent of those nutters going "God sends hurricanes because American abandoned God/because of gays" and the like. I know people would sometimes attribute their victories in battle to God, but did they attribute their defeats to insufficient devotion as well?
Yes to both.

The famous example is the Lisbon earthquake because that happened late enough that that attitude coincided with a bunch of people who did not agree, and started making fun of the idea.

People also attributed defeat in battle to divine judgement; Magdeburg was sacked as a reminder to Protestants to get their poo poo together, etc

Edit: Oh yeah, this wouldn't be "hosed up" to them, just odd and probably a little sad: when women dress up they're still elaborately decorated, but men are not. Men dress really drably, they all dress mostly the same, and most of them don't wear makeup. How disappointing.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 16, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

HEY GAL posted:

The famous example is the Lisbon earthquake because that happened late enough that that attitude coincided with a bunch of people who did not agree, and started making fun of the idea.

quote:

Theologians focused and speculated on the religious cause and message, seeing the earthquake as a manifestation of divine judgment.[19] Most philosophers rejected that on the grounds that the Alfama, Lisbon's red-light district, suffered only minor damage.

lol

I can imagine the cutting salon remarks already.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, this wouldn't be "hosed up" to them, just odd and probably a little sad: when women dress up they're still elaborately decorated, but men are not. Men dress really drably, they all dress mostly the same, and most of them don't wear makeup. How disappointing.

Bloody Victorians. (actual Puritans might well approve, but then they're the spiritual forefathers of the sort of Victorian who took us in this direction anyway)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Anyone else picture that Nelson Hark A Vagrant comic every time we blame the Victorians now or is it just me?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Anyone else picture that Nelson Hark A Vagrant comic every time we blame the Victorians now or is it just me?
which one was that?

also this speaks to me

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

which one was that?

also this speaks to me

Click "previous"

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

feedmegin posted:

Bloody Victorians. (actual Puritans might well approve, but then they're the spiritual forefathers of the sort of Victorian who took us in this direction anyway)

Blame it all on Brummel and Byron. Between them they pretty much created the idea that well-dressed men wear dark colours.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Unlike people like me, poorly-dressed men wearing dark colors. :v:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The French answer to William Le Queux, author, Army officer, and politician Lieutenant-Colonel Emile Driant, raises some serious strategic questions about the defence of Verdun. Sadly, General Joffre is not familiar with General Melchett's principles of effective command, and instead thoroughly pooh-poohs the poor man. Meanwhile, in London, the War Committee decides to introduce one Colonel Sir Tatton Benvenuto Mark Sykes, 6th Baronet, to a French diplomat, François Marie Denis Georges-Picot. The next time you want to try to wrap your head around the current situation in the Middle East, I advise starting with these two horrible arseholes fine fellows, and work your way forward. Finally, Private Flora Sandes is still on the retreat, up mountain and down crevasse, and short rations all the way.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

Yes to both.

People also attributed defeat in battle to divine judgement; Magdeburg was sacked as a reminder to Protestants to get their poo poo together, etc

One of the nobles fighting with the rebels said they fought so badly at White Mountain a divine intervention wouldn't have saved them. I can't imagine anyone saying that lightly in 1620.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Mr Enderby posted:

Blame it all on Brummel and Byron. Between them they pretty much created the idea that well-dressed men wear dark colours.

Black became fashionable already in the 17th century Spanish and Italian courts.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

HEY GAL posted:

The lack of corruption in government. Why wouldn't your sovereign give you and your family gifts...does this mean they don't like you :ohdear:

:allears: I love this. Both of these.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

Black became fashionable already in the 17th century Spanish and Italian courts.
Yeah but those dudes wear fucktons of lace and instead of playing with colors they do really interesting things with textures. They wear all black, but they are not drab.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

One of the nobles fighting with the rebels said they fought so badly at White Mountain a divine intervention wouldn't have saved them. I can't imagine anyone saying that lightly in 1620.
that's because they blew, op

edit: victory's still based on divine judgement here, "you're not real good at this" is a judgement

edit 2:

a scroll descends from the heavens, flanked with resplendent angels, it unrolls: "jeeze you're bad at war, l8rs"

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 16, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

edit: victory's still based on divine judgement here, "you're not real good at this" is a judgement

edit 2:

a scroll descends from the heavens, flanked with resplendent angels, it unrolls: "jeeze you're bad at war, l8rs"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Is the squeeze-bore principle at all related to the idea of the explosively-formed penetrator? To an outsider's eye they seem... vaguely related.

Nope. Explosively-formed penetrators like HEAT use a directed explosion to force a hunk of metal inside the warhead through the armor at high speeds upon impact.

Squeeze-bore guns rely on the fact that as the diameter of the tube decreases, the pressure coming out increases. Making the projectile smaller also helps with penetration (the force is directed onto a smaller point, the basic principal behind why bullets go through you and punches don't), but the basic advantage is that the tapered barrel increases pressure so the projectile flies faster and flatter. In this case, the projectile is made of a very hard penetrator like tungsten surrounded by softer metal that can be squeezed down the barrel; tungsten itself is so hard that it would just burst the barrel or get stuck.

The downsides to squeeze-bores are the necessity of a hardened penetrator (the Germans had to stop using them because of how much tungsten they used) and short barrel lives, as little as 500 to 600 rounds for anti-tank guns.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
How often did German AT gun formations lob non-AP shells at the enemy? I remember reading somewhere that Soviet AT batteries shot HE more than they did AP and I can't imagine that squeeze-bore guns would work well with any kind of explosive ammunition.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Malleum posted:

How often did German AT gun formations lob non-AP shells at the enemy? I remember reading somewhere that Soviet AT batteries shot HE more than they did AP and I can't imagine that squeeze-bore guns would work well with any kind of explosive ammunition.

The Germans had very few squeezebore AT gun, the overwhelming majority were conventional.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

I'll find the exact quote later, but the noble wrote a good few paragraphs on how it definitely wasn't his fault they lost.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Malleum posted:

Squeezebore guns don't work with other ammo, yes. This is why the Littlejohn adaptor was unpopular amongst its British users, despite its effectiveness.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The 2-pdr didn't have HE anyway.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
So I've got a lot of muster rolls from a lot of companies, listing in total about 30,000 dudes over a period of 30 years (?) and I want to learn how to take that data and make it so I can track:
1. where people are from
2. how much money they make
3. relationships among them (people with the same family name, who come from the same hometown, etc)
4. soldiers who show up in more than one roll, cycling from company to company. how many of these people are there? Are Saxon companies, as I suspect, filled by drawing upon one, relatively limited, pool of people who want to do this and who are relatively experienced?

5. whether any of this changes during the 30yw.

and eventually make visualizations of this, like this one:
http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jul/map-high-school-hookups
this is high schoolers hooking up with one another. something like this would be cool for the time that one of the companies in the mansfeld regiment shared a bunch of stolen fabric with one another. but how do i make something like this?

anyway, if someone knows how computers work to do this beyond "open a .doc, type," PM me.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've always found it odd that designers didn't look at the squeeze bore guns and immediately see that a sabot would be way more efficient. Or did they?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It sounds like you have masses of rather difficult OCR to do, unless you have this already all digitised?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
we talkin' dicks in the miliary thread? obligatory:

basically early modern zapp brannigan

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

It sounds like you have masses of rather difficult OCR to do, unless you have this already all digitised?
Not for German kurrentschrift, pretty sure that only works with latin script. All these muster rolls are scanned now. As far as I know I have all the non-militia rolls from this archive that track pay, place of origin, or both

Rabhadh posted:

yeah, where the hell were you? i also found two irish dudes.

anyway, it's obviously Cool And Good to train a bunch of religious fanatics to stick a thumb in the eye of the next superpower over

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, first step would be getting all these 30,000 soldiers in a table with names, hometowns,rates of pay, year of muster etc into tables. Unless you've copied all this data for every person out already, that would be alot of data entry, which only you could probably do (unless anyone esle cna read those musters rolls and feels like helping out).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

nothing to seehere posted:

Yea, first step would be getting all these 30,000 soldiers in a table with names, hometowns,rates of pay, year of muster etc into tables. Unless you've copied all this data for every person out already, that would be alot of data entry, which only you could probably do (unless anyone esle cna read those musters rolls and feels like helping out).
most other early modern german historians have better things to do with their lives

my problem is every muster roll is different, like depending on the musterschreiber's opinions about life the roll will be formatted differently. my other problem is i have no idea how excel works

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

How many sheets are there? Like do you have an idea how many words there are to transcribe?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A long-rear end time, one way or the other. I think she's just asking about how to format it all once she's done. :v:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Honestly I would take some time and learn excel. It's not super complicated for a fairly easy task like tracking that stuff. A week or two at a few hours a day would be enough to get you on your feet.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

A long-rear end time, one way or the other. I think she's just asking about how to format it all once she's done. :v:
Yeah, I'm comfortable with the life path that has led me to the part where I'll be putting this poo poo into a database all winter for 12 hours a day, and in fact I'm extremely hype to explore this data. I do not want to know about the part where I type all day. That ship has sailed. I want to know extremely basic things like: what computer program should I use? how do I go from "names in a table" to "sorting and searching those names" and then possibly even "cool graphics?"

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

HEY GAL posted:

Yeah, I'm comfortable with the life path that has led me to the part where I'll be putting this poo poo into a database all winter for 12 hours a day, and in fact I'm extremely hype to explore this data. I do not want to know about the part where I type all day. That ship has sailed. I want to know extremely basic things like: what computer program should I use? how do I go from "names in a table" to "sorting and searching those names" and then possibly even "cool graphics?"

The military history SH/SC thread is gonna be legit.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

HEY GAL posted:

If I was doing that my first step would be to put all that data into excel. Excel is convenient because there are utilities to port it and other csv files into most data visualization tools. The other nice thing is that you can almost certainly do everything you listed in excel. The downside is that it won't always be easy.

Matlab is also popular with academics.

Since you are working on your thesis I assume you have access to an advisor and other faculty. Definitely ask for their input. I would also talk to your librarian/archivist to see if they have any ideas about how to digitize the data. If they do you could save yourself months of typing. I would also take a day and track down at least one each of the psych/polsci/administration/math professors. People who are used to dealing with large datasets of people might have useful insights or a specialized tool to help find e.g. family members.

The tech support sub forum handles way less interesting question threads - I'd suggest asking over there. They'd probably be pretty happy to help with something like this. Database administration and to a lesser extent excel wizardry are specialized skill sets so there's probably someone over there with more experience in this area than me who can help you.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly I would take some time and learn excel. It's not super complicated for a fairly easy task like tracking that stuff. A week or two at a few hours a day would be enough to get you on your feet.
If anything this overstates how long it would take to get comfortable with Excel.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Rabhadh posted:

I've always liked to imagine him strutting around, not realising people were taking the piss out of him in Irish.

• Locked thread