Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

shadok posted:

Love my light side female Inquisitor. For me, hands down, the funniest of the 8 storylines.

I have a LS male inquisitor -- I've just decided he's going to dress like a smuggler at all times. I'm going to surprise the enemies.

Plus, he'll get that motorcycle-looking speeder once he gets to Ziost. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
After putting this game down about 3 months after release I signed back up for it last night. What is leveling like these days? Should I just start over with some level 1s or is it worth it to pick up the 45 bounty hunter and 33 sith inquisitor that have been sitting around the last few years. I know I can get an instant 60 but I actually enjoyed the story lines when I played before so I'd like to see the expansion stories at least once.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

DarkRider09 posted:

After putting this game down about 3 months after release I signed back up for it last night. What is leveling like these days? Should I just start over with some level 1s or is it worth it to pick up the 45 bounty hunter and 33 sith inquisitor that have been sitting around the last few years. I know I can get an instant 60 but I actually enjoyed the story lines when I played before so I'd like to see the expansion stories at least once.

Leveling is easy as hell - you just need to do your class storyline and each planet's storyline to keep up. If you can still remember/care where you were at with your old characters then there's no reason not to just keep playing with them, but if you need a refresher it really won't take much time at all to get back to where you were, at least compared to the olden days.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DarkRider09 posted:

Leveling's cake now. I'd add that the heroics are now worth soloing for each planet on your way up--because they give you 5 common crystals apiece, as well as a box with two random pieces of blue gear.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alter Ego posted:

Leveling's cake now. I'd add that the heroics are now worth soloing for each planet on your way up--because they give you 5 common crystals apiece, as well as a box with two random pieces of blue gear.

And the blue gear is better than anything you'd buy with crystals, so you can save those for other purchases.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

prefect posted:

And the blue gear is better than anything you'd buy with crystals, so you can save those for other purchases.

Namely, gifts to roid up your companions.

On a related note, is there anything you can spend Glowing Crystals on besides gear?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Glowing crystals can be turned in for Exotic Isotope Stabilizers for crafting, which aren't worth much individually since they're a guaranteed drop from Heroic Star Fortress but I do tend to run out of them often. Glowing and radiant crystals can also be exchanged for some stronghold decorations from one of the Fleet stronghold vendors.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I have like 3-4 stacks of those Exotic Isotope things--perhaps I should see if there's any market for them.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

I have like 3-4 stacks of those Exotic Isotope things--perhaps I should see if there's any market for them.

If you're doing conquest every week, you can turn 8 of those + 1 of the purple things into a 216 item.

I've been selling 216 lightsabers for 1.75mil pretty easy. Individually the isotopes sell for 30-40k, so if you have the materials to craft instead, it seems like decent money with less undercutting. I tried selling the purple conquest thing on the GTN but it got undercut like crazy fast every time I did it. Lightsabers sold in under an hour every time.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Leveling is the bestest now. Literally just do what you want. Heroics are easily soloable, give great rewards, and give you magic teleporters to go in and out. I've been told time and time again that you can't level JUST on your class stories, and I guess that's true, but it's so close that it feels like if you do literally ANYTHING ELSE once or twice you can catch up.

I loved my female SI's voice actress. Went like, 80% DS - I thought she'd be against a few of the traditions like slavery since, you know, former slave. Pretty sure I got Darth Nox? It's been ages. I love the LS/Neutral/DS title given to you at the end. I actually have a question about post 50+ SI stuff - do they, in ANY way, make you feel like your apointment to the Dark Council was meaningful? I feel like being one of the 5-9 Sith ruling the Empire after the JK "kills" the Emperor should be a huge deal, but the reality of the game means you'd feel more like a grunt than a general. Do they even try and make that a factor? Or is it more like "oh you're so powerful that you're on the dark council, so clearly you can handle this new threat!" I'm not asking for choices about shaping the empire's policy (although: that would be loving awesome) or even anything tangible, I'm just wondering if they try at all to make you feel like one of the most politically powerful people in the galaxy, or if they just settle for making you feel like being one of the most physically powerful people in the galaxy like every other class.

edit: second question, actually - I haven't messed around at all with the dogfighting, and the OP makes it sound very hard. I'd love to get the "Wing Commander" title because I'm playing a trooper named Femmshep and that's the closest I can get to Commander Shepard - is this something I will never be able to achieve casually, or if I try messing around and find I like it is it something an idiot like myself might be able to manage?

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 16, 2015

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

There definitely is. I've been selling them very reliably for 40k each. Even if there are some up for less than that they still sell before the time is up.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Sometimes it's almost like I'm playing sto:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aleth posted:

You'd think bounty hunters would be able to stop the snowballs with their flamethrowers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I sat in a corner whipping snowballs at my Akk Dog, like a proper polite person.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Digital Osmosis posted:

edit: second question, actually - I haven't messed around at all with the dogfighting, and the OP makes it sound very hard. I'd love to get the "Wing Commander" title because I'm playing a trooper named Femmshep and that's the closest I can get to Commander Shepard - is this something I will never be able to achieve casually, or if I try messing around and find I like it is it something an idiot like myself might be able to manage?

Wing Commander is given for having all available GSF crew members. That means you have to get far enough in all 8 class stories, Empire and Republic both, to recruit all 5 of their companions. It's just a matter of playing through all the class stories to the appropriate point.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Nipponophile posted:

Wing Commander is given for having all available GSF crew members. That means you have to get far enough in all 8 class stories, Empire and Republic both, to recruit all 5 of their companions. It's just a matter of playing through all the class stories to the appropriate point.

YESSSSSS I'm in the middle of doing that anyway. Will it unlock if I never pop into GSF mode, or will I have to play one match or something? Either way, that made my day. (Wing) Commander Femmshep will happen!

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Medullah posted:

No, why would you think that?

Yeah sorry I read through the first few pages; the wording in one of the OPs made it sound that way.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
You'll have to do at least the intro tutorial on both factions because it gives you some generic crew that also count toward the requirement, but that's all.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Concurred posted:

Yeah sorry I read through the first few pages; the wording in one of the OPs made it sound that way.

You're locked out of your class story, companion conversations, and several other big questlines once you start the KotFE storyline, which requires level 60+, which is probably where your confusion came from. You don't have to start that quest at 60. You don't have to do it at all if you don't want to; it's easy to hit 65 without it. You'll have all the time in the world to do your other stuff before you run through it, and it's better if you see the other content first anyway, because KotFE will refer back to other stuff you have done.

You get several huge popup warnings when you start KotFE to make sure you're really ready for it. They did this because the story goes off on such a tangent once you start that quest, it wouldn't make narrative sense to jump back into your class story after it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
When I've reverse-engineered blue items I've made, there's generally a 60% chance of learning a new schematic. Is the percentage any better when it comes to 208 lightsabers? I'm not sure I want to drop a half a million bucks for a 60% chance to learn anything. :ohdear:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ughh I had an idea for an outfit and now I kinda want to make a male Gunslinger, someone talk me out of making yet another alt. At the rate I'm going I'll have one of each advanced class per faction before the new year :shepface:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Mercurius posted:

Ughh I had an idea for an outfit and now I kinda want to make a male Gunslinger, someone talk me out of making yet another alt. At the rate I'm going I'll have one of each advanced class per faction before the new year :shepface:

Working as intended.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

prefect posted:

When I've reverse-engineered blue items I've made, there's generally a 60% chance of learning a new schematic. Is the percentage any better when it comes to 208 lightsabers? I'm not sure I want to drop a half a million bucks for a 60% chance to learn anything. :ohdear:

I don't think you can learn the schematic for a 208, and the mats would likely be the same as a 216/220.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Aleth posted:

This happened in WoW when they allowed anyone to disenchant an item if there was an enchanter in the party. The amount of rage over this change was obscene. You had people comparing themselves to raped slaves because the game was allowing others to use their profession without their consent.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jedi posted:

This happened in WoW when they allowed anyone to disenchant an item if there was an enchanter in the party. The amount of rage over this change was obscene. You had people comparing themselves to raped slaves because the game was allowing others to use their profession without their consent.

I understand people being lovely about the Rakghoul event because that can genuinely be a pain in the rear end, but snowballs??? Come on

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

I understand people being lovely about the Rakghoul event because that can genuinely be a pain in the rear end, but snowballs??? Come on

It really conflicts with the ERP narrative they got going, you know?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Medullah posted:

Some people are so misanthropic that they refuse to help anyone. That dude is pissed because he's being forced to help someone when he doesn't want to. I agree with you completely - why bother playing an MMO if you don't want to deal with others?

(Not that this game is much of an MMO, but that's a different issue)

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

prefect posted:

You have a 60% chance to learn 216/220 mods (by REing ones ripped out from existing gear) and 100% chance to learn unmoddable 216/220 gear (RE base blue version to get 216, RE the 216 to get 220).

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

LOTRO's Halloween events had consumable items you could buy to do things like throw a jar of spiders on someone causing them to panic, or summoning a giant ghostly hand to smack them hard enough to knock them down. These were purely cosmetic animations, had no effect in combat, and lasted for about 2 seconds. Enough people bitched long and loud enough about these that a toggle was added to allow them to turn off emotes affecting their characters.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

LOTRO's Halloween events had consumable items you could buy to do things like throw a jar of spiders on someone causing them to panic, or summoning a giant ghostly hand to smack them hard enough to knock them down. These were purely cosmetic animations, had no effect in combat, and lasted for about 2 seconds. Enough people bitched long and loud enough about these that a toggle was added to allow them to turn off emotes affecting their characters.

Nothing compares to the WoW zombie plague event that pretty much made the cities in the games total absurd (but fun) wastelands for a day. You didn't even get to play your own character any more, you got turned into a total faction neutral zombie that was hostile to everyone and a new set of buttons and nobody was actually safe from zombies (duh) so all the people who avoid playing with people were forced to not only flee the cities, but if they stayed they got turned into zombies because who's gonna sit and spam a cleanse on a rando, when it's more fun to attack as a zombie?

So good. Such a great event that will never happen again because too many people whined.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Promethium posted:

You have a 60% chance to learn 216/220 mods (by REing ones ripped out from existing gear) and 100% chance to learn unmoddable 216/220 gear (RE base blue version to get 216, RE the 216 to get 220).

I think I've got it; thanks. Now I need to save up for a 216 saber. :)

Medullah posted:

In the words of Chewbacca, "Sir, I protest; I am not a merry man!"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

I think I've got it; thanks. Now I need to save up for a 216 saber. :)

In the words of Chewbacca, "Sir, I protest; I am not a merry man!"

I can make you a 220 hilt or barrel for 2 dark matter catalysts (1.3 million each generally) or a 220 non-moddable saber for 3 strategic resource matrix and 10 exotic isotopes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Big premium for getting to use your own weapon model, drat.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Medullah posted:

I can make you a 220 hilt or barrel for 2 dark matter catalysts (1.3 million each generally) or a 220 non-moddable saber for 3 strategic resource matrix and 10 exotic isotopes.
I should probably take you up on that for a barrel and hilt. Do you need anything else apart from the dark matter catalysts? I've still got a stack of the exotic isotope stabilisers so can provide those if the recipe requires that. Also, which of your alts should I send the mats to?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mercurius posted:

I should probably take you up on that for a barrel and hilt. Do you need anything else apart from the dark matter catalysts? I've still got a stack of the exotic isotope stabilisers so can provide those if the recipe requires that. Also, which of your alts should I send the mats to?

No, I'll eat the other mats on the chance that I crit making it. Send them to whoever. Blukakke is probably the easiest to spell since there's no special characters. :D

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So guild vote. I'm proposing a 3 day ban on spoiler talk in guild chat for Force Awakens, people can use a custom channel like tngspoilers to discuss until Monday. Anyone opposed ?

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
Who should I be whispering for a guild invite? I just started a new SI.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DarkRider09 posted:

Who should I be whispering for a guild invite? I just started a new SI.

Follow the instructions in one of the OP posts, there's detailed instructions.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

Medullah posted:

Follow the instructions in one of the OP posts, there's detailed instructions.

Searched for that's no goon and whispered a few people, but didn't get a response. Thought posting in the thread might get someone's attention who would be able to take care of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DarkRider09 posted:

Searched for that's no goon and whispered a few people, but didn't get a response. Thought posting in the thread might get someone's attention who would be able to take care of it.

Post your name and I'll invite you if you're on now.

• Locked thread