Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Electromax posted:

Is an opportunity already missed if there are 2 more movies left to go?

Well it was Gwendoline Christie who 1. had like 10 lines, at most, 2. had the role of "low-rank henchman boss" from 1970s Bond flick, 3. was never shown doing anything that stood out and 4. disappeared from my recalling of the movie after Han casually suggested throwing her in a trash compactor. I bet she ran around later in the movie and I just missed her (edit: If she's confirmed in being in more movies I just missed something pretty drat obvious.)

Yeah, that important. There's a nameless stormtrooper that has more effect on a main character than she did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Sounds like she's the new Boba Fett.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
First thing I'll say is that you don't need to use spoiler tags in a thread explicitly titled "spoil-o-rama".

evilbastard posted:

We escaped and crashed on the planet ? Luckily we were just outside the town where the droid everyone is looking for is not even hiding.
Poe deliberately aimed for that spot because he needed that droid, against Finn's wishes.

evilbastard posted:

Tie fighters attack you on the ground ? Never mind, run around and look we are on the Millennium Falcon which is broken but not so broken we can't fix it in 30 seconds and take off and shoot the only two tie fighters chasing us after an extended sequence the suggests the Star Destroyers have more empty space in them then a honeycomb.
Scavengers have been gutting that star destroyer for years.

evilbastard posted:

We fly to see an old friend of Hans, oh look she has Luke's lightsabre in a box in the basement. And lightsabre now call out to people and send them visions.
Wasn't that lighstaber lost on Bespin? If it was recovered, wouldn't it have been the Empire? Did Luke find it in Vader's closet on Coruscant after the Empire was defeated? Oh, and I don't think the lightsaber itself was calling, it's more like psychometry. It was Luke's and is connected to some pretty big events.

evilbastard posted:

This planet is also in the same star system as the Rebel Senate and the Starkiller weapon, or else someone on the writing team really doesn't know how big space is.
The rebel base was in the same system but not the Starkiller weapon, whose shots were explicitly said to travel through hyperspace.

evilbastard posted:

Han and Leia's son captures Padme 2.0, but she escapes because she has force persuasion powers better than Ben Kenobi with no training, and the guy with enough force in him to stop a blaster bolt in mid flight can't sense her.

Padme 2.0 takes up the lightsabre she has never used and beats Vader 2.0, but the planet is falling apart around them so they are separated by a brand new lava canyon just before she kills him, lucky that otherwise we would need a new villain for him next episode. She is trapped on an exploding planet never mind the Millennium Falcon is behind her and Chewie parks it,which stops the planet exploding so he can run out to help them get on board the ship, after which the planet continues exploding
This is a bad thing, yes. The previous movies establish that you need training to pull off even the most basic tricks, never mind fight somebody in a duel who has actually had training.

evilbastard posted:

At last Artoo wakes up for no reason at all, and he has 90% of the map apart from a missing piece that matches no known stars and yet seems to be in the middle of the galaxy that everyone has already mapped. Yay, the mystery of the ages is solved lets go meet Luke.
This is the plot hole that stuck out the most for me. BB's map was a pretty large chunk of the galaxy. They ought to have been able to figure out where Luke's planet was by referencing all the adjacent stars. Why would they even need a complete map of the galaxy to pinpoint Luke at all? If I was living in New York and wanted to tell you where I was, I wouldn't need to send you a map of the entire Earth, just a map of New York. Or just an address. They could have used the name of the planet, then the latitude and longitude of Luke's island. That could have been written on a piece of paper. When Obi-Wan sent Luke to find the hidden Yoda, he didn't need to give Luke a map, he just had to say "Dagobah".

In conclusion: it's an Abrams film, so you must try, try, try not to sweat the fridge logic.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 16, 2015

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Didn't kylo mention something about extracting bits and pieces of the galaxy map from the imperial archives? Doesn't that mean the entire known mapped universe was lost for a time, or at least the big picture?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was disappointed when it turned out that Snoke wasn't actually a giant :sweatdrop:

Well, rather that he MIGHT not be a giant. Maybe in the next movie we'll meet him in person and he'll still be like 30 feet tall. That would be cool.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I hope not. Pretty much no way that the fight against him won't look like horrible video game poo poo if they go down that road

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I'd be pleased if it turns out that Snoke really is a giant.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Not going to lie. Everything you guys are saying is making me even more hyped to see this movie. Any complaint thus far raised sounds unimportant, intriguing, or amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I wouldn't want them to fight him, he looks old and hosed up anyway and it would be as ridiculous as giving Palpatine and Yoda lightsabers and having them flip about like they did in the prequels.

I just want him to be some giant, hosed up old guy who maybe doesn't even get out of his chair, but is still some imposing figure because holy hell, look how big that dude is!

thrawn527 posted:

Not going to lie. Everything you guys are saying is making me even more hyped to see this movie. Any complaint thus far raised sounds unimportant, intriguing, or amazing.

I loved the movie, if that makes you feel any better :)

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Oh yeah, the movie was enjoyable, even if the fridge logic makes my head spin. JJ has delivered.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I wouldn't want them to fight him, he looks old and hosed up anyway and it would be as ridiculous as giving Palpatine and Yoda lightsabers and having them flip about like they did in the prequels.

I just want him to be some giant, hosed up old guy who maybe doesn't even get out of his chair, but is still some imposing figure because holy hell, look how big that dude is!

What you're describing would be fine, but I suspect in the modern fanboy-satisfaction star wars era we seem to be entering there's next to zero chance he won't be in a fight. I'm trying to think of satisfying fights between a human and a CGI giant in any movie but nothing is really coming to mind, it always looks horrible and I can't imagine lightsabers would help matters.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I actually enjoyed seeing Palpatine fighting with a lightsaber. Back in the PT, he wasn't yet walking around with a cane, so it wasn't too implausible. Yoda, on the other hand...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just the notion of these old guys who were supposedly super-connected/immersed in the Force reducing themselves to crude physical fighting always rubbed me the wrong way. It didn't help that the prequels mistook rapid movement/flips/agility for skill. Obi Wan and Vader's fight in New Hope was great because it was two guys who knew each other so well that every single stroke was deliberate and careful because give the other guy one opening and you'd be dead (which Obi Wan ends up doing deliberately anyway). Luke and Vader's fights were great because they had such emotional resonance, Vader was holding back because he was trying to tempt/position Luke to the Dark Side, and Luke was jumping between struggling to compose himself and being overcome with rage.

I thought the saber fights in The Force Awakens were pretty good in that respect - the combatants all seemed fully aware of just how dangerous the weapons were and weren't just flipping about all over the place and swinging at super-speed.

Obi Wan vs Darth Maul is still pretty cool though :haw:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Jerusalem posted:

Obi Wan vs Darth Maul is still pretty cool though :haw:

Now go and wash your mouth with soap.

...hands and keyboard too.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

parara posted:

Kylo Ren roll call: who else loves the poo poo out of him? I'm so here for this weeaboo trembly manchild who can be scary in one scene and oddly hilarious in the next.

*raises hand* He was awful and hilarious and I kind of loved him.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
In a way he's more monstrous than Darth Vader because he doesn't want to be saved.

Also, seeing him throw violent tantrums whenever things didn't go his way is good evidence that the dark side of the Force is bad. The dark side turns you into a shithead. The light side represents emotional balance and self-control. I'll take that over lightning hands any day.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That scene where he's throwing a huge tantrum and two Stormtroopers walking down the corridor hear him, stop, turn around and casually walk the other way was hilarious.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Do we learn what Snoke's deal is, like why he's running the show, is he a force user, or is that something they're saving for future movies.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Cheesus posted:

https://vid.me/Yy7e

THIS is the reason for Andy Serkis's performance and a character that can only be rendered in CGI?

He looks more like a Star Trek Reman: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Reman

JJ Abrams: Makes Star Trek like Star Wars and Star Wars like Star Trek.

I think this is a good thing. I'm sure he'll appear a lot more in the next two films and this will keep it consistent. Better to use it even if it's sparingly the first time around than repeating puppet Yoda in TPM or Emperor Chimp Face from ESB.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 16, 2015

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
As much as I think the concept and execution of Snoke is pedestrian, this is straight up powerful: https://vid.me/wMPh

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Kurzon posted:

In a way he's more monstrous than Darth Vader because he doesn't want to be saved.

Also, seeing him throw violent tantrums whenever things didn't go his way is good evidence that the dark side of the Force is bad. The dark side turns you into a shithead. The light side represents emotional balance and self-control. I'll take that over lightning hands any day.

How well the light side works was shown in the Lucas sequels, when a whole council of Jedi couldn't figure out that their next superstar Jedi had a lot of unsolved anger and mommy issues. And they didn't do anything about it but sit in their ivory tower playing pocket snooker.

I will take some passion and lightning hands over being a cold fish any day.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

The movie had potential, but everything was just a bit too quick, easy and small. Space travel happens in seconds now, and training to become proficient with a lightsaber happens in zero seconds. The parts where things slowed down a bit were really good, like the early scenes with Rey.

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
Kylos character is really good. the whole emotionally messed up kid with awesome force power but not a very good handle on using it works really well. it makes sense that he shares a lot of personality traits with young Anakin.

He's such a huge wannabe and can't quite get it together. The comparison with Vader is interesting; in the OT Vader is a 50-60 year old sith lord whos had a lifetime of training and a stone cold bad rear end. Kylo is an angry kid with no finesse who desperately wants to be Vader.

NoDoorway fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 16, 2015

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

NoDoorway posted:

Kylo' s character is really good. the whole, emotionally messed up kid with awesome force power but not a very good handle on using it works really well. it makes sense that he shares a lot of personality traits with young Anakin.

He's such a huge wannabe and can't quite get it together. The comparison with Vader is interesting, in the OT Vader is a 50-60 year old sith lord who's had a lifetime of training and a stone cold bad rear end. Kylo is an angry kid with no finesse who desperately wants to be Vader.

So loving good. This is exactly what his character needed to be.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Has a beloved movie franchise ever been re-imagined in a fresh and unexpected way before ? I can't remember any examples.

Abrams seems to have made a good movie, but he never leaves the expected tracks for one second.

The Solo scene is probably the movie's hihglight, but even here the camera should have shown the face of father and son at the same time and it didn't.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Empire Strikes Back established that Jedi training takes about as long as a traffic stop by the Cloud City Police.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

evilbastard posted:

[spoiler]
You and the hotshot pilot are in a tie fighter crash and you never see the other guys body ? Bet you will be surprised when he comes back in an X-Wing in 30 minutes.
A hellish chunk of this criticism doesn't stick. Why imply it was 30 minutes when the movie explicitly moved time forward? Even Po says he woke up at night. Also, I'd wager it is a tv trope that characters are not obliged to have awareness of tropes like 'if you don't see the body'.

I feel the movie was cluttered like an old house. With a tight focus on a small group of characters but with so much furniture in the background. It was almost like a Harry Potter movie with how much they tried to fit in-the pace may have been too much for some people expecting another OT.

As a snake person/millennial I adored it. It was all I wanted and more. It was also the first Star Wars I watched as an adult.

The row in front of us dressed as sand people and did the sand people heckle when the movie started. It was. Perfect.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Who was the Scottish dude who wanted his money from Han? The actor, that is, mainly.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cheesus posted:

As much as I think the concept and execution of Snoke is pedestrian, this is straight up powerful: https://vid.me/wMPh

This is reeeeeal good.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Cheesus posted:

Indonesian subtitles. Is this thing out everywhere but the USA now?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kurzon posted:

he seems like an interesting counter to vader. vader was cold simmering rage below surface. he kept his poo poo in control only showing it once and while to kill a dumbass or two. kylo renn is a Shrieking White-Hot Sphere Of Pure Rage. he is early vader/anakin. a giant shithead who has temper tantrums and kills people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

This is reeeeeal good.

i know exactly what it shows and i cant bring myself to watch it. I want to expirence it first hand in theaters.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Wow emo/screamo Vader. How clever and unexpected.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Its 11:26 on the 17th December in New Zealand and it releases on the 17th there. So yeah, a lot of people will have seen it now.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

MrMojok posted:

It releases in UK in an hour. From what i understand they delayed it to friday in the US to say that it had the biggest opening weekend ever.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

thrawn527 posted:

It's enjoyable, I liked the characters, the slow parts are good, the movies tries to do some of the "show, don't tell storytelling" (not very successfully, but still), parts of it are just gorgeous, it's very fantastic in setting and other stuff that make for good sci-fi schlock. The teenage love aspect is kitschy and very self-aware, but endearing. It's not a bad movie, it's entertaining, and accomplishes what it tries to accomplish. I think you'll like it. However, the movie does have issues that are very similar to Star Trek 2009 film - it's cool, until you sit down and think about it, and then it makes you all confused and a bit angry.

The pacing is all over the place in that classic Abrams style. There's some parts where I would have much rather watched these people actually sit and talk but suddenly, three Shoggoths appear. Main characters embark on this odysseic journey to find the last of the Jedi knights who went into hiding, and instead of them talking about things and travelling the unknown space playing the space chess they just appear in Scottish isles in seconds. The male and female main characters meet and go from suspicious standoff to daring escape in maybe 2 minutes because explosions! The movie has at least 3 solid ending takes before it actually ends, but everyone understands why it drags on for those few extra minutes and wastes so many good sequel set-up shots (so we get to see Mark Hamill's face, that's why). Etc. etc.

The setting is so ridiculous I bet someone will write a complex treatise as to what the gently caress is going on in the galactic politics to come up with this mess. The enemy is Empire ReBranded, but with a weird "cheap knockoff" feeling. The Resistance is just color-switched Rebellion. The Rebels, aka the guys who brought back the Galactic Republic 30 or so years ago in movie's timeline. But Republic apparently 1) is covertly supporting these guys because their army is just doing... stuff? and simulatenously 2) just hosed off to not care the slightest 20 years ago or something. Great plan, right? Except their original saviours, including a war-hero princess, are now openly supporting this weirdo Resistance movement or just hosed off to break the law in galactic scale or meditate or whatever so the Empire has a free reign to... look for one dude, until they decide to casually destroy the Republic with their gigantic superweapon which apparently is in the same system as Republic seat of government or something. Or then just explain it with hyperspace. Whatever. I wasn't even drunk when I watched this. It's obviously meant as a handwavy way to bring back the imagery of A New Hope with a new cast but for gently caress's sake. Thank god it's not up and forefront, just the backdrop.

And then there's the question of needless circumreferentiality and endless wink-wink-nudge-nudge IT'S LIKE THAT OLD THING but hey it's a Star Wars sequel in 2015.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 16, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

El Perkele posted:

The setting is so ridiculous bet someone will write a complex treatise as to what the gently caress is going on in the galactic politics to come up with this mess. The enemy is Empire ReBranded, but with a weird "cheap knockoff" feeling. The Resistance is just color-switched Rebellion. The Rebels, aka the guys who brought back the Galactic Republic 30 or so years ago in movie's timeline. But Republic apparently 1) is covertly supporting these guys because their army is just doing... stuff? and simulatenously 2) just hosed off to not care the slightest 20 years ago or something. Great plan, right? Except their original saviours, including a war-hero princess, are now openly supporting this weirdo Resistance movement or just hosed off to break the law in galactic scale or meditate or whatever so the Empire has a free reign to... look for one dude, until they decide to casually destroy the Republic with their gigantic superweapon which apparently is in the same system as Republic seat of government or something. Or then just explain it with hyperspace. Whatever. I wasn't even drunk when I watched this. It's obviously meant as a handwavy way to bring back the imagery of A New Hope with a new cast but for gently caress's sake. Thank god it's not up and forefront, just the backdrop.

And then there's the question of needless circumreferentiality and endless wink-wink-nudge-nudge IT'S LIKE THAT OLD THING but hey it's a Star Wars sequel in 2015.

from what i understand, is that its sorta of a proxie war during the new galactic cold war. The new republic is funding the resistance and the imperial empire/remnant is funding the first order. the first order seem like the star wars equivalent of neo-nazis, a rebranding of the empires past and sith poo poo.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I don't really understand why the Republic supports the resistance covertly and not openly since the order is such a bag of dicks?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The whole Mega Death Star thing murdering hundreds of billions of people at once was extremely stupid, and the Mega Death Star Planet exploding in slow motion at the end was even worse, but I think it was well compensated for by the Oedipus Jedi plotlines being really, really good. Except that Kylo probably surviving will be disappointing, because that would've been a fantastic one-off performance, and again, the planet was literally exploding when he fell.

Another thing: this was much funnier than any of the earlier films, and the corny fun stuff was harmlessly corny and not like... funny looking aliens acting rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ShineDog posted:

I don't really understand why the Republic supports the resistance covertly and not openly since the order is such a bag of dicks?

"Yeah listen, we can't DIRECTLY support you, because that may seem like an act of war that could lead to hostilities"

(First Order blows up an entire planet)

"Tensions are really high right now"

• Locked thread