Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

I've liked pretty much every Abrams movie I've seen, so I'm not too worried. And if the new Star Wars movies are gonna be anything like the MCU movies then I'm actually pretty excited.

Although I read in one review that there aren't that many lens flares, so I wonder if JJ knows people make fun of him for those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
AOTC is frustrating because, of its two main plot threads, the mystery is superbly done, while the romance has a string of okay scenes interrupted by one or two really bad ones.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

For me, Abram's influences just make me think of how he's just a watered down version of the people he's emulating. He gets the praise of someone like Spielberg in their prime, but without the sheer talent to match.

He's like the blockbuster version of Paul Thomas Anderson.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I guess it's probably worth considering that the things that made the first two Star Wars movies so culture defining (special effects, production design, willingness to treat the secondary world absolutely straight, and a surprise twist) are unreproduceable today. They've diffused into everything.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
the guy who is good is actually bad

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I've just bought the TFA soundtrack. As people have said, Rey's opening theme is sweet. It's low key, which is why it didn't stick in my mind when I left the theater, but it's nice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kurzon posted:

I've just bought the TFA soundtrack. As people have said, Rey's opening theme is sweet. It's low key, which is why it didn't stick in my mind when I left the theater, but it's nice.

Yo how did you get it? It's not out until the 18th right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cargohills posted:

TV shows and games are EU as well. They aren't movies.

The capital city of Coruscant first appeared in Timothy Zahn's novel, matching (roughly) what is presented in Phantom Menace back in 1991. No amount of "it's not the same" will change the fact that the films did recognize the EU to some degree if just in that one specific way. Fans felt like, more or less, the movies and the EU were interconnected.

You're trying to make some point about how the EU wasn't the central focus of the films which is correct but also utterly meaningless to the people who actually care that the EU was revamped. There was over a decade where a sustained established EU was presented and people became fans of it. The fact that it was canonical (and it was canonical, there was a long stupid hierarchy of canon) was part of the appeal and also meant the EU kept going.

I don't personally care and I dislike the idea that films should be bound to the mindless bullshit established in a terrible tie-in novel or whatever but if someone enjoyed something it is understandable they are disappointed that it was cancelled and will no longer be recognized by material that used to recognize it. (Such as, again, games, comics, other books or the films themselves.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 16, 2015

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

porfiria posted:

I guess it's probably worth considering that the things that made the first two Star Wars movies so culture defining (special effects, production design, willingness to treat the secondary world absolutely straight, and a surprise twist) are unreproduceable today. They've diffused into everything.

Actually that's a good point. Kind of related but I've noticed that it seems like they run into that same sort of wall whenever they try to reboot the Twilight Zone franchise. The little surprise plot-reveals-into-moral punch-lines from the original stories are much more obvious to modern viewers due to them being more prevalent in the culture.

goons posted:

EU talk

I think the only thing I read from the EU was a few of those "Tales of/from" books, like Tales of the Bounty Hunters, which was pretty good as I remember. Anything I could do to get more Boba Fett.

Maybe they'll touch on more EU stuff in some of the films outside the main series. On the one hand I hope Disney doesn't just start throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks. What I mean is I hope the non-main series films maintain a certain level of quality and don't end up like AvP or something. But I'm glad they're actually doing something with the franchise instead of just sitting on it.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 16, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, this is how I felt also. And not just because of the recent blitz of bland generic actions movies with a <insert comic and/or childhood nostalgia franchise> re-skin but also because it's Stars Wars; probably the most popular film franchise in the history of film. If anything deserves a full court press to make sure that's it's something more than just "pretty good", it's this.

I really doubt Star Wars didn't get "a full court press" from JJ et al. They were just terrified of straying from the OT after how the prequels were received. Turns out that if A New Hope came out today, it wouldn't have innovative effects and art direction to offset the milquetoast story and dull dialogue. It would just be Another Bland Generic Action Movie. JJ doesn't get the benefit of the audience already being wowed at a flying spaceship that Lucas had in '77.

If you are that tired of 'just ok' then the best course of action would be to see fewer movies (no meanness intended). Most movies are probably just OK or bad. If a Mad Max had come out every year since 2000, Fury Road wouldn't be so special either.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Serf posted:

I've liked pretty much every Abrams movie I've seen, so I'm not too worried. And if the new Star Wars movies are gonna be anything like the MCU movies then I'm actually pretty excited.

Although I read in one review that there aren't that many lens flares, so I wonder if JJ knows people make fun of him for those.

Well I watched some Q&A that had some good insightful questions and then some loving dork for the very last question asked if the new movie would have lens flares and JJ told him no, at least not intentionally.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

iSheep posted:

Well I watched some Q&A that had some good insightful questions and then some loving dork for the very last question asked if the new movie would have lens flares and JJ told him no, at least not intentionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ekui0QWaCA&t=1876s

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If you're calling the ending of Star Wars, the part where a farmboy has to fly down a trench of doom while pursued by a black-clad personification of death that ghosted his mentor and said farmboy is only saved at the last moment by a formerly-amoral smuggler who realized that friends really are worth more than money and helps save the day by setting up the farmboy to take a one-in-a-million shot using the power of his father's legacy and said power blows up a symbol of imperial fascism seconds before it was set to annihilate the nascent rebellion that had taken both of them in and was literally symbolized by a beautiful young princess dressed all in white as a "milquetoast story" you can gently caress right off

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you're calling the ending of Star Wars, the part where a farmboy has to fly down a trench of doom while pursued by a black-clad personification of death that ghosted his mentor and said farmboy is only saved at the last moment by a formerly-amoral smuggler who realized that friends really are worth more than money and helps save the day by setting up the farmboy to take a one-in-a-million shot using the power of his father's legacy and said power blows up a symbol of imperial fascism seconds before it was set to annihilate the nascent rebellion that had taken both of them in and was literally symbolized by a beautiful young princess dressed all in white as a "milquetoast story" you can gently caress right off

Well, since you put it that way...

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
The biggest flaw of the movie is it doesn't set up the politics enough. It's a bit too not Lucas. Just the crawl isn't good enough. Also, it's basically "Ghostbusters 2"

I wasn't completely digging it but then at a point in the third act realised that all I really want out of Star Wars is Han Solo and Chewbacca trying to beat the odds while infiltrating imperial bases. So I really liked it from that.

Kylo Ren was really well done I thought. A good character and Driver did a great job. Loved seeing an incompetent Jedi.

Rey is the loving best.

Time to his the Kanja Club!

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

CelticPredator posted:

Yo how did you get it? It's not out until the 18th right?
I bought a CD from a music store next to the cinema. I guess the 18th release date applies to digital purchases, I dunno.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

The capital city of Coruscant first appeared in Timothy Zahn's novel, matching (roughly) what is presented in Phantom Menace back in 1991. No amount of "it's not the same" will change the fact that the films did recognize the EU to some degree if just in that one specific way. Fans felt like, more or less, the movies and the EU were interconnected.

You're trying to make some point about how the EU wasn't the central focus of the films which is correct but also utterly meaningless to the people who actually care that the EU was revamped. There was over a decade where a sustained established EU was presented and people became fans of it. The fact that it was canonical (and it was canonical, there was a long stupid hierarchy of canon) was part of the appeal and also meant the EU kept going.

I don't personally care and I dislike the idea that films should be bound to the mindless bullshit established in a terrible tie-in novel or whatever but if someone enjoyed something it is understandable they are disappointed that it was cancelled and will no longer be recognized by material that used to recognize it. (Such as, again, games, comics, other books or the films themselves.)

The EU still does get parts of it recognised by comics or the cartoon. There's been no meaningful difference.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Good guy destroys hidden fortress with help of wily rogue who turns out to have a heart of gold, while overcoming the evil samurai who killed his master. The rest as stated is style and art direction. I love Star Wars (even the prequels) but it isn't because a farmboy saving a princess and stopping the bad guy is unique.

It's because I like the music.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kurzon posted:

I bought a CD from a music store next to the cinema. I guess the 18th release date applies to digital purchases, I dunno.

I'm gonna go see if I can snag it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I like what people are saying about how this movie is not Star Wars in the essence of pushing cinematic boundaries and inspiring awe with effects 20 years ahead of time. Instead I feel it possess these qualities:
-heart warming
-clever funny
-scary
-dangerous
-sad.
-*****magical*****

So that's the ingredients of the star wars I watched as a kid. I suppose there is a difference in how we enjoy star wars based on where we first saw it. Fans who were awed by the spec. effects in cinema in the 70s vs. us dirty youngsters who first saw it on VHS at a sleepover in a rumpus room.

EDIT: despoiled it a little. Sorry about that guys.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 16, 2015

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Zoran posted:

AOTC is frustrating because, of its two main plot threads, the mystery is superbly done, while the romance has a string of okay scenes interrupted by one or two really bad ones.

I wouldn't say the mystery is superbly done but it still gets your attention and is easily the better of the two for sure. And that's the thing, for all these people trying to reassemble the prequel trilogy into a brand new story, you really don't need to. It's like buying a new car when all you need to do is change the breakpads on your old one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lampsacus posted:

I like what people are saying about how this movie is not Star Wars in the essence of pushing cinematic boundaries and inspiring awe with effects 20 years ahead of time. Instead I feel it possess these qualities:
-heart warming
-clever funny
-scary
-dangerous
-sad.
-*****magical*****

So that's the ingredients of the star wars I watched as a kid. I suppose there is a difference in how we enjoy star wars based on where we first saw it. Fans who were awed by the spec. effects in cinema in the 70s vs. us dirty youngsters who first saw it on VHS at a sleepover in a rumpus room.

People care very much about plot.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 17, 2015

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Are you flying dangerously close to spoilers with [what was removed from your post]?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 17, 2015

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

kiimo posted:

Are you flying dangerously close to spoilers with [what was removed from your post]?

I would certainly think so.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 17, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cargohills posted:

The EU still does get parts of it recognised by comics or the cartoon. There's been no meaningful difference.

Yes there is. The entirety of characters who were introduced in the post-RotJ EU are completely gone now. The next time a game comes out you can bet that Chewbacca wasn't crushed by a moon and Jaina and Jacen Solo won't exist. If you liked any of those characters or concepts like the Yuuzhan Vong or whatever they're gone and (thank god) not coming back. They are replaced by Starkiller Base and Kylo Ren and whatever other things the new films do. There's probably stuff that will trickle over if just through sheer fanboy desperation but yes, everything in the old EU is finished and it is never coming back.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 16, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Electromax posted:

Good guy destroys hidden fortress with help of wily rogue who turns out to have a heart of gold, while overcoming the evil samurai who killed his master. The rest as stated is style and art direction.

Connecting Luke Skywalker's chosen one status to a spritual power source from a fallen Avalon that represents his father's legacy: style and art direction.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

Confession: When I went to see "The Empire Strikes Back" I found myself glancing at my watch almost as often as I did when I was sitting through a truly terrible movie called "The Island."

The Empire Strikes Back" is not a truly terrible movie. It's a nice movie. It's not, by any means, as nice as "Star Wars." It's not as fresh and funny and surprising and witty, but it is nice and inoffensive and, in a way that no one associated with it need be ashamed of, it's also silly. Attending to it is a lot like reading the middle of a comic book. It is amusing in fitful patches but you're likely to find more beauty, suspense, discipline, craft and art when watching a New York harbor pilot bring the Queen Elizabeth 2 into her Hudson River berth, which is what "The Empire Strikes Back" most reminds me of. It's a big, expensive, time-consuming, essentially mechanical operation.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Connecting Luke Skywalker's chosen one status to a spritual power source from a fallen Avalon that represents his father's legacy: style and art direction.

I still like the movie, don't worry.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Electromax posted:

Good guy destroys hidden fortress with help of wily rogue who turns out to have a heart of gold, while overcoming the evil samurai who killed his master. The rest as stated is style and art direction. I love Star Wars (even the prequels) but it isn't because a farmboy saving a princess and stopping the bad guy is unique.

It's because I like the music.

And here it could have ended. But then it turned out that the farmboy is the son of the evil samurai and that the noble princess has a foul mouth and can handle a blaster. And that the evil samurai is struggling with his own duality. And this is when the magic happened.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I enjoyed all the Star Wars films.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Davros1 posted:

I enjoyed all the Star Wars films.

So did I. :):hf::)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Yes there is. The entirety of characters who were introduced in the post-RotJ EU are completely gone now. The next time a game comes out you can bet that Chewbacca wasn't crushed by a moon and Jaina and Jacen Solo won't exist. If you liked any of those characters or concepts like the Yuuzhan Vong or whatever they're gone and (thank god) not coming back. They are replaced by Starkiller Base and Kylo Ren and whatever other things the new films do. There's probably stuff that will trickle over if just through sheer fanboy desperation but yes, everything in the old EU is finished and it is never coming back.

They exist as much now as they did before. There was never any possibility of a sequel retaining of the EU stuff anyway.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zoran posted:

So did I. :):hf::)

Wow, get the gently caress out of here.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

ImpAtom posted:

We cannot thank Abrams enough for wiping out the poo poo stain of the EU in one swift superlaser blast.

Allow me to remind you:

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 17, 2015

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Han never punched out a 7 foot tall terrifying ferret lady with velociraptor claws and Leia never got her lady parts turned into a waterfall by a lizard-man's overpowering pheromones and Han was never followed into Mos Eisley by a vampire that feeds on "luck"?

:argh:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I have the Zahn novels and played the KOTOR games, is there any other decent EU stuff I should look at?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

And here it could have ended. But then it turned out that the farmboy is the son of the evil samurai and that the noble princess has a foul mouth and can handle a blaster. And that the evil samurai is struggling with his own duality. And this is when the magic happened.

Well some of that was in the sequels, which fits with not judging 7 alone against 4-5 in combination.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I have the Zahn novels and played the KOTOR games, is there any other decent EU stuff I should look at?

Yes but trust me, this is a much better question to ask in the Star Wars thread in The Book barn.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3338643

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Wha... What about Plif and the Hoojibs. They survived this purge didn't they..? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

kiimo posted:

Han never punched out a 7 foot tall terrifying ferret lady with velociraptor claws and Leia never got her lady parts turned into a waterfall by a lizard-man's overpowering pheromones and Han was never followed into Mos Eisley by a vampire that feeds on "luck"?

:argh:

What about that one dude carrying the ice-cream maker during the evacuation of Cloud City in Empire Strikes Back? Is he no longer the secret hero of the rebellion who behind the scenes saved the day and was responsible for all the main characters' victories? :ohdear:

• Locked thread