Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The removal of carrier SMS/MMS from Hangouts is going to be a huge bummer for me but I can see why they are doing it. It's confusing for normal people. My fiance had to wipe her N5 last night and over messaging I had to troubleshoot and walk he through how to merge Hangouts & SMS threads from the same person, figure out why it would only send from GV and not her carrier number which was tied to my contact being split in her Contacts app to make it work like a thing. Sure, how it works is readily understandable to me but for her it was extremely frustrating. I'd love a true Google version of iMessage that just works without any futzing and anyone can figure out but they just straight up couldn't do it.

Personally, I really should just switch to GV as my primary number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Google is offering $50 off both the 5X and 6P, with free overnight shipping.

https://store.google.com/category/holiday_promos

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So my free Star Wars cardboard viewer came yesterday and god drat, I immediately ordered a Gear VR.

Anyone have any experience with both? I understand the lenses are a lot better tuned with the Gear VR and the video latency is a lot better, I'm super excited.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Logikv9 posted:

Yeah? GV SMS functionality remains in the Hangouts app, which is trash.

I tried Textra for a few minutes yesterday and sweet jesus it's so fast and smooth. Seriously considering just moving everything to my native number.
I ported out of GVoice earlier this year. I'm glad I did.

Syrinxx posted:

The 5X has been at $329 for a while. The 6P is an actual discount.
I don't think I could sell my visor cracked 6P for the $450 it would take to make it worth it (tax being countered by the $50 play credit)

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 16, 2015

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Three Olives posted:

So my free Star Wars cardboard viewer came yesterday and god drat, I immediately ordered a Gear VR.

I'm tempted too.

It was really amazing to watch my kid use the cardboard viewer when it came in the mail. Running around the house, running into things, yelling OH MY GOD OH MY GOD. Absolutely blew his mind. I really wish I would have thought to buy a bunch of them in november or whatever as stocking stuffers for my friend's kids.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I got my cardboard thing, too and it absolutely blows away the plastic one I got on amazon for $20.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Moto X Pure is going to be $100 off on Amazon tomorrow

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, got mine yesterday too. It immediately strengthened my resolve to spam the hell out of the buy button as soon as oculus becomes available.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Get the cardboard camera if you haven't already.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.vr.cyclops&hl=en

Make your own view master photos.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

deong posted:

Get the cardboard camera if you haven't already.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.vr.cyclops&hl=en

Make your own view master photos.

Someone (you, perhaps?) mentioned this app here or in the app thread, and talked about being able to view Photospheres in this app. I grabbed Cardboard Camera, but can't see any way to view my existing Photospheres.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Just when I think I'm over being surprised by Google arbitrarily destroying good apps they manage to do it again. Good work, guys!

Why the gently caress would I want to use two apps to do the same thing one does perfectly well now? What magic extra features will make up for the convenience of having everything in one location, with merged conversations and a simple interface.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

When they first added SMS, the general consensus was "why bother if they aren't going full iMessage, this is useless.". Now people are upset about it going away when no new features were added since.

Google should be doing so much more in this space. Why is my local SMS db not part of my normal account syncs? Why not use cloud to phone push to allow carrier SMS anywhere from any browser? Why can I not delete an individual message in hangouts without trashing the whole conversation history?

If they aren't committed to truly converging the two messaging protocols, it's better to do the split and let each team focus on the core of their apps.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

it's better to do the split and let each team focus on the core of their apps.

It's not, because it takes away my single app/interface that combined both options that I use excessively. This is going to be a massive pain in the rear end and there's no real consumer friendly reason for it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hello android goons. I don't know if this is the right place for this question so I'm sorry in advance, I'm also sorry for not knowing any of the terms or how to even look for such a thing because I've never done this before.

In a few months I will (hopefully!) be starting a mobile business (mobile as in on the move, not related to cellphones). I need an android app that will let myself and my receptionist/girlfriend make appointments with fields for customer details etc using a phone and a tablet. Basically I want to be able to schedule appointments using my phone, and have her do the same thing, with the planner or whatever being updated on the go (I guess it'd have to be cloud based?) so that we can avoid having conflicting appointments or having to constantly call eachother to tee things up. Is there an app that does this?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Slavvy posted:

Hello android goons. I don't know if this is the right place for this question so I'm sorry in advance, I'm also sorry for not knowing any of the terms or how to even look for such a thing because I've never done this before.

In a few months I will (hopefully!) be starting a mobile business (mobile as in on the move, not related to cellphones). I need an android app that will let myself and my receptionist/girlfriend make appointments with fields for customer details etc using a phone and a tablet. Basically I want to be able to schedule appointments using my phone, and have her do the same thing, with the planner or whatever being updated on the go (I guess it'd have to be cloud based?) so that we can avoid having conflicting appointments or having to constantly call eachother to tee things up. Is there an app that does this?

Google Calendar

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

OK, so how would that work? Like if she makes an appointment how would it then appear on my calendar? I want a virtual ledger that both people can update remotely, does calendar do that? I'm on a nexus 5 and it doesn't appear to.

E: it's also very clumsy to use and nowhere near detailed enough, I need to have address details, work description etc not just a time and place written in ad hoc.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 16, 2015

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Slavvy posted:

OK, so how would that work? Like if she makes an appointment how would it then appear on my calendar? I want a virtual ledger that both people can update remotely, does calendar do that? I'm on a nexus 5 and it doesn't appear to.

Yeah you just need to make a new calendar called "work" or whatever and then share it

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Slavvy posted:

E: it's also very clumsy to use and nowhere near detailed enough, I need to have address details, work description etc not just a time and place written in ad hoc.

There is a Location field where you could put the address and a Notes field where you could put the work description.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, got mine yesterday too. It immediately strengthened my resolve to spam the hell out of the buy button as soon as oculus becomes available.

Yes to this.

bull3964 posted:

If they aren't committed to truly converging the two messaging protocols, it's better to do the split and let each team focus on the core of their apps.

No to this.

Also, AnandTech did their Nexus 6P review.

He's got weird and wrong opinions about stock Android, but it looks like the 6P does a better job about thermal throttling, but it's still not ideal:

quote:

Again, the 6P seems to be able to hold up at fairly high frequencies of 1.9-1.8GHz until the lower frequencies gain in prominence. After the 5 minute mark (~300 seconds) it looks like the device stabilized at 1344MHz, but then again starts to oscillate with the 960MHz state around the 12 minute mark which becomes the predominant frequency for the last half of the 25+ minute test.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Ever since my Nexus 6 updated to Marshmallow, my recommended stories on Google Now suck. They used to be fine, and now about 1/3rd of them are stories from ESPN. I loving hate sports, and I've never visited ESPN in my life, so I have no idea where Google is getting the idea that I want sports updates. It's also giving me recommended stories from Fox News, though those are less numerous than the ESPN stories. Any way to fix this?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mnemosyne posted:

Ever since my Nexus 6 updated to Marshmallow, my recommended stories on Google Now suck. They used to be fine, and now about 1/3rd of them are stories from ESPN. I loving hate sports, and I've never visited ESPN in my life, so I have no idea where Google is getting the idea that I want sports updates. It's also giving me recommended stories from Fox News, though those are less numerous than the ESPN stories. Any way to fix this?

I had that for a few days. I don't care about sports at all and all of a sudden it was giving me a bunch of ESPN stories. It eventually fixed itself.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to make it so that on stock Android the entire notification shade will open with just one swipe, instead of the stupid need to do it twice to actually see anything useful?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Rastor posted:

This morning my Moto X Pure (2014) received 6.0 Marshmallow.

Is this a soak test, or is it being pushed out slowly to everyone?

edit: from a brief glance at Reddit, it seems like it's every country but USA?

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 16, 2015

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
My cardboard was originally supposed to come the 16th (today), then I got a shipping update saying it was going to come the 15th (yesterday), and now for the past 24hrs it's been ???

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

Is there a way to make it so that on stock Android the entire notification shade will open with just one swipe, instead of the stupid need to do it twice to actually see anything useful?

The current way is the not-stupid way, the way you propose is the stupid way!

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thermopyle posted:

The current way is the not-stupid way, the way you propose is the stupid way!

yeah well it's like people want their phones to do different things. What the gently caress is the use of the first swipe only showing you what you already know from the notification bar?

Basically I want to be able to do with one finger what you can currently do with two. Is there a way?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The two swipe notification tray thing is the one feature I miss the most from stock when I moved to my Note 5, so I'll trade you :smith:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

My cardboard was originally supposed to come the 16th (today), then I got a shipping update saying it was going to come the 15th (yesterday), and now for the past 24hrs it's been ???

Mine shipped Monday saying it would be here yesterday, but was stuck on "shipping label created" until this morning. It arrived today. Fedex doesn't seem to be great at estimating delivery dates.

Daily Forecast posted:

What the gently caress is the use of the first swipe only showing you what you already know from the notification bar?
So you can click on your notifications? :confused:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Daily Forecast posted:

yeah well it's like people want their phones to do different things. What the gently caress is the use of the first swipe only showing you what you already know from the notification bar?

Basically I want to be able to do with one finger what you can currently do with two. Is there a way?

You have strange opinions about what you want to do with your notification bar (you know, the thing you interact with notifications with). That said, if you two finger swipe down from the top bar, it will do what you want it to do.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Mine shipped Monday saying it would be here yesterday, but was stuck on "shipping label created" until this morning. It arrived today. Fedex doesn't seem to be great at estimating delivery dates.

So you can click on your notifications? :confused:

Still a very easy thing to do when it's expanded? Everything important is always near the top anyway. I guess I don't keep a thousand goddamn things in my notifications like most soccer moms with their phones do.

Grumpwagon posted:

You have strange opinions about what you want to do with your notification bar (you know, the thing you interact with notifications with). That said, if you two finger swipe down from the top bar, it will do what you want it to do.

quote:

able to do with one finger what you can currently do with two.

yes thank you

I guess there's no way to do it, so, eh.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

yeah well it's like people want their phones to do different things.

Yes, that was my point. You implied that it was obviously and universally stupid...I was highlighting that it is not.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Daily Forecast posted:

Still a very easy thing to do when it's expanded? Everything important is always near the top anyway. I guess I don't keep a thousand goddamn things in my notifications like most soccer moms with their phones do.

yes thank you

I guess there's no way to do it, so, eh.

I was in too big of a hurry to insult you to properly read your post.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Daily Forecast posted:

Swipe it with two fingers

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Incredible.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I have joined Moto soak tests in the past, but never signed up for my Moto X Pure (2014).

I am in Chicago. I dunno why I got it. :shrug: :confused:

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Syrinxx posted:

Oh hey, now it's 200€ cheaper in the US than in Europe. This pricing scheme is so ridiculous. I really want this phone, but I do not 650€ want this phone. The Anandtech review says it best:

Anandtech posted:

For regions outside of North America, and Europe especially, the Nexus 6P just seems an unreasonable device. Starting at prices from 649€, you would expect a device without drawbacks, and it’s simply not worth the premium over other devices...

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Rastor posted:

I have joined Moto soak tests in the past, but never signed up for my Moto X Pure (2014).

I am in Chicago. I dunno why I got it. :shrug: :confused:

I just remembered, I had a warranty replacement once. So probably they sent me an international version and mystery solved.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Nova launcher can do this

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Nova launcher can do this

Launchers don't affect the notification tray?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Hi android thread, I've been looking for a budget phone to replace my dad's ancient and borderline unusable xperia ray and was wondering if any of you know any reasons to avoid the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6?

It looks pretty good on paper, and reviewed well from what I can tell, but I've never heard of it before and am curious if there's anything I'm overlooking. Thanks!