Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

PT6A posted:

But what if the poor widdle guy has to drive to get to work? It would be so unfair to take his drivers' license away permanently and crush his car into a cube!

Drunk driving really pisses me off, especially as a fairly heavy drinker who has never, ever done it. It's really, really easy to avoid!

He won't be driving to work anymore, after two counts of vehicular manslaughter he will be walking to work at the prison cafeteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If I had to guess, cops hosed something up when obtaining the sample or there was a breach in the evidence chain of custody.

Unrelated but possibly relevant, there was a case in Indianapolis a few years ago where a drunk cop plowed into a bunch of stopped traffic and the responding officers deliberately had his blood drawn at an urgent care clinic rather than a hospital (as required by law) so the blood sample could later be suppressed in court. It's possible something similar happened in the case being discussed here, only as an actual gently caress up instead of deliberate evidence suppression.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Crotch Fruit posted:

He won't be driving to work anymore, after two counts of vehicular manslaughter he will be walking to work at the prison cafeteria.

Yeah, I'm saying he should've had his license revoked and car crushed sometime between his first DUI conviction and killing two people, so those two people wouldn't be dead.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

PT6A posted:

But what if the poor widdle guy has to drive to get to work? It would be so unfair to take his drivers' license away permanently and crush his car into a cube!

And that's why I want to move away from Sweden which does this on a regular basis, and the case I saw out my balcony two February months ago of letting a two-kite-high 23 year old with nothing but five years of automotive-crime drugs and no employment and a fat merchedes despite everything, go home and sleep after he made a solid sickening imprint of a young Utah mormon on his hood, with police saying "we'll contact you later for a police hearing about the incident", he flees to Germany to repeat his high speed crunk driving murder sprees and his parents cry out in the papers of how he was such a sweetheart who wouldn't hurt a fly. My grammar is shot but the country is worse off.

How about being allocated two traffic police for a region of 500k people? I'm not kidding about having to wear dashcams when going out for a walk.

But god forbid they force a guy to take the bus for 30 minutes or ride with somebody else to get to work.

e: hahaha the affluenza case is like most of the madness we go through every day with our criminals and how they're treated \/\/\/\/

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 17, 2015

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
The affluenza kid is done http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/17/us/ethan-couch-missing-texas-affluenza-case.html

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

:lol: if you think they'll do anything to him for violating the terms of his probation when they let him off the hook for literally killing two people and turning another into a potato because he didn't know it was wrong to do so.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Geoj posted:

:lol: if you think they'll do anything to him for violating the terms of his probation when they let him off the hook for literally killing two people and turning another into a potato because he didn't know it was wrong to do so.

Literally a case of "I'm sorry officer. I didn't know I couldn't do that." Unreal.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Geoj posted:

Other sources are mentioning an arrest warrant, so I think he's running out of rope.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Other sources are mentioning an arrest warrant, so I think he's running out of rope.

They arrested him after the initial incident too. Arrest means nothing until he appears in court, and people with money have a tendency of getting away with far worse than violating the terms of probation.

OTOH it's highly likely he's fled to a non-extradition country so I wouldn't hold your breath for any kind of justice regardless of how this goes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
haha yeah if that kid and his mother aren't out of country then they're boned hard

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

PT6A posted:

Drunk driving really pisses me off, especially as a fairly heavy drinker who has never, ever done it. It's really, really easy to avoid!

Are you me? As an auto tech, I see way too many interlocks to ever feel confident about the roads. People just keep confirming why humans are my least favorite species.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I suppose this isn't "sharing the road" as such, but I nearly got backed into in a grocery store with a mobility scooter (I had to actually dodge it, or I would have been hit). Like, gently caress, don't just back into a goddamn busy aisle without looking. I don't care how disabled you are, that's just stupid.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PT6A posted:

I suppose this isn't "sharing the road" as such, but I nearly got backed into in a grocery store with a mobility scooter (I had to actually dodge it, or I would have been hit). Like, gently caress, don't just back into a goddamn busy aisle without looking. I don't care how disabled you are, that's just stupid.

I don't care how biased it sounds, I don't trust a single driver with a disabled parking pass hanging from their rearviewmirror

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Geoj posted:

He got ten years of probation, meaning he goes to adult prison for violating it. The othe option was to lock him in juvie for a few years.

If the moron hasn't fled the country I'm gonna have the biggest justice boner. One of my friends works for a GC firm that uses Cleburne Sheet Metal for a supplier, they go to Cowboys games in the company's suite.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

BraveUlysses posted:

I don't care how biased it sounds, I don't trust a single driver with a disabled parking pass hanging from their rearviewmirror

I don't know if it's confirmation bias or just them being out front and obvious but it seems like it's always the disabled placard people who park like complete fucks in the designated spaces. It's like they just decide that the marked space + loading area next to it is theirs to use as they please so they go all diagonal or whatever.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Mandingo posted:

The othe option was to lock him in juvie for a few years.

If he wasn't white and from from a wealthy connected family they absolutely would have thrown the book at him and charged him as an adult. Four counts of vehicular homicide, manslaughter or even second degree murder (if the prosecution wanted to make a name for themselves) would have him not seeing the outside of prison until he was at least in his 40s.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

And that's why I want to move away from Sweden which does this on a regular basis, and the case I saw out my balcony two February months ago of letting a two-kite-high 23 year old with nothing but five years of automotive-crime drugs and no employment and a fat merchedes despite everything, go home and sleep after he made a solid sickening imprint of a young Utah mormon on his hood, with police saying "we'll contact you later for a police hearing about the incident", he flees to Germany to repeat his high speed crunk driving murder sprees and his parents cry out in the papers of how he was such a sweetheart who wouldn't hurt a fly. My grammar is shot but the country is worse off.

How about being allocated two traffic police for a region of 500k people? I'm not kidding about having to wear dashcams when going out for a walk.

But god forbid they force a guy to take the bus for 30 minutes or ride with somebody else to get to work.

e: hahaha the affluenza case is like most of the madness we go through every day with our criminals and how they're treated \/\/\/\/

Are you talking about the dude who ran over a young mom and her kid when trying to flee the police? Do you live where I think you live?

Also, learning car chat: 1st was my mom's Nissan Primera wagon (awful), then various TDIs (VW Golf, Audi A3) at the driving school and my mom's later car (Saab 9-5). I think I got my license after doing the test in a Jetta TDI as well.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

The Mandingo posted:

He got ten years of probation, meaning he goes to adult prison for violating it. The othe option was to lock him in juvie for a few years.

If the moron hasn't fled the country I'm gonna have the biggest justice boner. One of my friends works for a GC firm that uses Cleburne Sheet Metal for a supplier, they go to Cowboys games in the company's suite.

I can just imagine a similar defense to their affluenza one.

"Well, we all just wanted a nice Christmas vacation. We didn't realize his probation meant we couldn't take it abroad."

Part of hopes they did leave the county, and they get caught at customs in a country with an extradition treaty. Deportation to stand trial would be just what this story needs. :unsmigghh:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
apparently we share the road with Wile E. Coyote

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was in the suicide lane turning left into a restaurant for lunch. There was a blue car coming out of the driveway to make a left onto the main road in the direction I was going. There was also a white car coming at me on the main road in the opposite direction that has right of way over everyone.

I stopped before starting my turn because the white car was coming and I didn't want to cut them off. The blue car, however, started inching out of the driveway in front of the oncoming white car. So, the white car just stopped. I still didn't go because the white car has right of way, I still don't want to cut them off, and I'm a little uncertain as to why they are slowing down (are they stopping or planning on turning into the same driveway?). The blue car pulls out into the street to my side, blocks all of the traffic, and I see them yelling at me for not getting out of their way. Lady, you are the last person who gets to go in this situation, not the first.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

We did it, we found the worst driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n79IMpoIB_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m6jZMS611k&feature=youtu.be&t=2m36s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X3oHk_C56Y&feature=youtu.be&t=1m10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UasKtSZ_Eo&feature=youtu.be&t=34s

Just any video on his channel, really.
e: urgh https://youtu.be/rzp4YUDIMNM?t=27s

tuna fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 17, 2015

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

atomicthumbs posted:

apparently we share the road with Wile E. Coyote

Holy poo poo, roadrunner or no, that is an incredibly stupid thing to do. Why would you paint a road/tunnel on a wall with a street leading up to it? Why would you do this? Yeah, it might be funny if it were on a sidewalk or something and you go "haha, you walked into a wall" but a STREET?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Is that guy a cop?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

I can't wait for the video where he runs red lights, stop signs, nearly kills a person, and wraps his loving Corvette around a tree.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

He is literally the poster boy for Corvette owners

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
That Corvette guy has got to be a troll. No one can be that dense.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That first video was the first time I've ever cheered for the traffic vigilante dude who kept blocking him.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Haha, holy poo poo this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_dnZ7N4Qw
"Are your plates legal? You don't look legal, lets see your i.d."

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 17, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

go3 posted:

He is literally the poster boy for Corvette owners

Now you can't have it both ways. Either all Corvette owners are 55+ year old midlife crisis greyhairs who drive at or below the speed limit in their 450+hp track cars obeying all traffic laws or they're reckless douchebags who think they own the road.

-posted by someone who got a C5 at age 25 then ran exactly 0 red lights in the 12 years since.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

GutBomb posted:

The mass turnpike (main east west tollway through Boston and the surrounding area) is constantly under construction every night and Thursday night was no exception. 3 lanes go down to 2 in spots and in this particular spot it's the left lane that's dropped. All 3 lanes are jammed and moving at about 3-4 mph and it's about 10:30 at night. I was in the left lane.

I think I'm right in saying the following: when your lane is the one being dropped it's best to just stay in your lane until the end and "zipper merge" into the lane you're being forced into. Well the guy in the middle lane felt differently. I was planning on merging between a range Rover and a corolla but as the range Rover passed the corrola seemed glued to his back bumper and the driver wagged his finger at me as if to say "I'm not letting you cheat and get ahead of me"

In the interest of not stopping and waiting which causes a cascade effect behind me i laid on my horn, continued inching forward, and after almost hitting a cone was finally able to get this guy to concede his spot to me, all the while he is having this huge tantrum, waving his arms and pointing back at the left lane. He spent the next mile and a half flashing his high beams at me, and honking, until the left lane opened up again. At that point he had exhibited enough signs that he was unhinged so i sped off and built a buffer between my car and his and the incident was over.

It's 10:30 at night, dude. No one is having fun in this traffic. Don't make it worse for everyone else by loving up what little flow there is.

This is my life right now. I drive that horseshit every goddamn night, from the i95 junction to the i84 junction.

It, along with 140 miles of aggressively oblivious Mass drivers every day, is making me into an angry person again. I've determined that if you flick the high beams at a left lane hog and they don't react at all, sailing by them on the right while honking will result in:
- approximately 50% will move over after you pass, stay there for 500 feet, then catch up to someone, move left again, and cut off the guy who was behind you both, then hog the left lane again
- approximately 25% won't react at all because their head is so far up their rear end
- approximately 15% will move over after you finish your pass, and then angrily flick their high beams at you for several minutes in retaliation. Sure showed me, buddy, I hope the speedtrap on the other side of this next corner sees you being a raging wanker and does something about it.
- the remaining 10% rage out, ride your rear end, and keep the high beams on till you lose them in traffic. I've been very, very, very tempted to brakecheck many people, but haven't done so.

I don't give a gently caress anymore, loving inattentive assholes need someone to give them a wakeup call and I'm not really afraid of them so I guess it might as well be me. Productive? Probably not. Safe/sane? Probably not. Feels better than letting them continue to gently caress things up for everyone uncorrected? Hell yes it does.

I'm really starting to want a shorter commute. Only took two years.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Scruff McGruff posted:

Haha, holy poo poo this guy.

"Are your plates legal? You don't look legal, lets see your i.d."

The most shocking thing in that video is that he actually stops for red lights.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

I'm really starting to want a shorter commute. Only took two years.

I don't know how you've coped this long to be honest.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got frustrated when they closed a bridge for replacement along my commute, the detour added two minutes to my 11 minute drive.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Go figure, this loving piece of poo poo is apparently a loving cop. That video shows him modifying his pistol holster for "on duty carry."

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BraveUlysses posted:

Go figure, this loving piece of poo poo is apparently a loving cop. That video shows him modifying his pistol holster for "on duty carry."

I did a bit of internet detectivery and a forum account he has says he's in "security". I think (hope) he's one step above a mall cop.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wolrah posted:

I did a bit of internet detectivery and a forum account he has says he's in "security". I think (hope) he's one step above a mall cop.

Bummer, those videos could probably get him fired if he was actually an officer. But, this is America sooooooo maybe not.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I wonder if cheap dash cams will start producing more idiots like this. Guys who basically run a camera and then go looking for trouble. I'm sure many of them would drive like poo poo anyway, but I'm sure some are trying to act cool for the camera.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BraveUlysses posted:

Bummer, those videos could probably get him fired if he was actually an officer. But, this is America sooooooo maybe not.

Yeah, when cops can literally kill anyone at any time for any/no reason and get away with it as long as they claim to have been in fear for their lives nothing will happen to one caught on camera being a lovely driver.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
This is the first time I've enjoyed reading youtube comments.

Oh and for content, was on the highway coming home tonight, and it's snowing a little, but the road is dry and there is only a very light dusting. Catch up to the car ahead of me, they are doing 50 in a 75, with a bonus single rear fog/brake light lit up because it's a VW passat. Like, even if it was a bit slippery you could still go faster because the road is straight and wide and there are no other cars around.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Deeters posted:

I wonder if cheap dash cams will start producing more idiots like this. Guys who basically run a camera and then go looking for trouble. I'm sure many of them would drive like poo poo anyway, but I'm sure some are trying to act cool for the camera.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/terrifying-dashcam-footage-shows-moment-6938244

At first viewing, it looks like a poor motorist being attacked by an insane lorry driver.

Then you start to see oddities, despite the editing: such as why a car is only doing 54mph in the middle lane with the slow lane empty. Or why the 'terrified' driver continues along the road for another 14miles, passing two exits.

Then you learn that the car owner runs a dashcam company.

and has a history of being a bit nuts

And you realise that this looney caused the issue in the first place to drum up publicity.