Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Not to mention that they're probably most sad they can't hype up what is basically a lottery system now, which I find it really hard to sympathize with. It would be like if Valve released a blog post about how sad they were that some guy figured out how to permanently break their digital items economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
here's a post not about spoilers: why is every Kozilek brood card red in BFZ when his card steals from blue mechanics

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mandatory lesbian posted:

here's a post not about spoilers: why is every Kozilek brood card red in BFZ when his card steals from blue mechanics

maybe they're just moving away from us really fast

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i am so not proud of getting that joke

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

He's blue also, see Herald of Kozilek

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh yeah, i forgot about him, i was just thinking of the Sentinel

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Fiction posted:

This post would be correct if WOTC didn't just serve up a real stinker of a set due to a change in their development methods.

Honestly, outside of the internet I've not really heard that opinion. I know it's not shared at stores I've gone to. And even here in the thread lots of folks think it's a great set to draft.

It's like the people seemingly going out of their way to be obtuse about the new colorless symbol-things get poo poo on online because that's just how it is. I'd love to see how annihilator would be received as a "new" mechanic (to compare to original Zendikar), or the drafts that were whoever pulled the most geopedes, etc.

That said, that article was largely tone-deaf and went about the point from almost the entirely wrong direction. They'd probably be better off ignoring most of the bullshit on the internet, rather than post some whiny RIAA-inspired response to the leaks.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Did Tiny Leaders implode and if so was it because it sucked or because the one guy was insane

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Did Tiny Leaders implode and if so was it because it sucked or because the one guy was insane

it sucked and also the guy who made it copyrighted it so Wizards couldn't make any money off it anyway

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

For anyone who's worried about Han Solo, that FYAD title is a joke based on a post from like 10 years ago about George Lucas dreamcrushing a young fan by telling him Han and Chewie died after the sixth movie. Lowtax did not get to preview Star Wars VII to help him own goons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Han Solo didn't die because Touch of the Void exiles instead.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

kizudarake posted:

a man using a name like trick professionally in tyool 2015 told us that its a dick move to leak poo poo like this

he might as well have just written a five thousand word essay that is just the sentence 'I am so far up my own rear end that im playing james deen in 'bad choices: the farrah abraham story''

I just legit spit coffee on my monitor. :lol:

Also, where did all these people come from expecting hard-hitting, on-topic posting in the Something Awful Comedy Forums? Half the dudes who post in this thread get mad when people debate whether specific Magic cards are good. Or any other stimulus, really.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 16, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

stinkles1112 posted:

He's blue also, see Herald of Kozilek

I really like the idea that somehow, Kozilek is to the Eldrazi what the Izzet are to normal beings.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Angry Grimace posted:

Also, where did all these people come from expecting hard-hitting, on-topic posting in the Something Awful Comedy Forums? Half the dudes who post in this thread get mad when people debate whether specific Magic cards are good. Or any other stimulus, really.

All magic cards are bad.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Glad to be of service.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cactrot posted:

All magic cards are bad.

because they require money, and money is capitalism, and capitalism should be destroyed. full communism now

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

Post of the year. Also post of next year because let's be honest there aren't going to be any good posts next year anyway.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
ok can we get the ban for the toxx now tho

http://tinyurl.com/BANWHEN

because they require money, and money is capitalism, and capitalism should be destroyed. full communism now

this unironically

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 16, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Hellsau posted:

I appreciated this joke.

Also, for the guy who didn't know Han dies: Luke is dying, Leia's got cancer, and [insert vader analogue name here] is actually Boba Fett spray painted black.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kozilek has Menace, which is a red mechanic. Also I'd say draw mechanics that encourage you to go hellbent before using them are fairly red too. It's kindof reminiscent of a wheel.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 17, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

I recall a goon whom I won't name making the literal argument that people have as much of a right to legacy cards as they do healthcare and that if you support the reserve list you are anti obamacare so while I think this is supposed to be hyperbole I can't tell any more.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sigma-X posted:

I recall a goon whom I won't name making the literal argument that people have as much of a right to legacy cards as they do healthcare and that if you support the reserve list you are anti obamacare so while I think this is supposed to be hyperbole I can't tell any more.

Name and shame, coward.

Eat the loving eggs. You made a toxx. Live up to it.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 17, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Please see Zoness' post and make a Ban Me thread

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
forgot about the toxx, gimme a sec

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

alansmithee posted:

Honestly, outside of the internet I've not really heard that opinion. I know it's not shared at stores I've gone to. And even here in the thread lots of folks think it's a great set to draft.

It's like the people seemingly going out of their way to be obtuse about the new colorless symbol-things get poo poo on online because that's just how it is. I'd love to see how annihilator would be received as a "new" mechanic (to compare to original Zendikar), or the drafts that were whoever pulled the most geopedes, etc.

That said, that article was largely tone-deaf and went about the point from almost the entirely wrong direction. They'd probably be better off ignoring most of the bullshit on the internet, rather than post some whiny RIAA-inspired response to the leaks.

BFZ isn't awful. It is good even. Khans was much better imo, and I think it just felt like watered down Zendikar/ROE mashed together to most people. The aggro creatures aren't as aggressive, the Eldrazi are more "regular" than they were. I think ingest/process ended up being an OK mechanic, but I think WOTC felt it was going to feel ELDRAZI WEIRD to move a card from exile to the GY. I don't think that impressed very well. It is fun to draft for a lot of people, but it is also not a good draft because green is not very playable. It is hard to say a set is good when one of your 5 colors just stinks and is a very weak support color best case. Converge was a bust, because they obviously had some idea of a UGx converge deck that never made it. I think many people who find it good and fun just like it because blue is super deep. UW fliers and UR devoid are the best decks I think. Allies RW, BW, or RWg are also good decks. Landfall sometimes gets there, but it can be outclassed quickly sometimes.

I don't think BFZ comes close to top sets to draft, its solidly in the middle of the pack somewhere.

As for standard, BFZ didn't do much for standard which is a valid complaint. The rare lands were impactful, and eldrazi decks are something, but this standard is to much like Theros/Khans and that is a major downside.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Kozilek has Menace, which is a red mechanic. Also I'd say draw mechanics that encourage you to go hellbent before using them are fairly red too. It's kindof reminscent of a wheel.

yeah i can agree with thatt, i wasn't really thinking too hard about it more just trying to get off the spoiler chat i was helping cause

Sigma-X posted:

capitalism is self-destructive and hurts everyone, and i don't have a clue what you're talking about but i don't agree with that guy

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

FYAD has been named "Han Solo Dies" for like 3 weeks; he almost certainly doesn't actually know.

Ha ha, this is what I get for checking the mod queue when I wake up. :hurr:

Not really gonna check whether spoilers are fake in the future though so

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

Eat the loving eggs. You made a toxx. Live up to it.

He tried and mandatory lesbian told him his toxx was too pathetic.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

jassi007 posted:

BFZ isn't awful. It is good even. Khans was much better imo, and I think it just felt like watered down Zendikar/ROE mashed together to most people. The aggro creatures aren't as aggressive, the Eldrazi are more "regular" than they were. I think ingest/process ended up being an OK mechanic, but I think WOTC felt it was going to feel ELDRAZI WEIRD to move a card from exile to the GY. I don't think that impressed very well. It is fun to draft for a lot of people, but it is also not a good draft because green is not very playable. It is hard to say a set is good when one of your 5 colors just stinks and is a very weak support color best case. Converge was a bust, because they obviously had some idea of a UGx converge deck that never made it. I think many people who find it good and fun just like it because blue is super deep. UW fliers and UR devoid are the best decks I think. Allies RW, BW, or RWg are also good decks. Landfall sometimes gets there, but it can be outclassed quickly sometimes.

I don't think BFZ comes close to top sets to draft, its solidly in the middle of the pack somewhere.

As for standard, BFZ didn't do much for standard which is a valid complaint. The rare lands were impactful, and eldrazi decks are something, but this standard is to much like Theros/Khans and that is a major downside.

idk BFZ cards are an intergral part of some of the funner decks like the rally deck and there is an eldrazi ramp deck

tho i guess yeah the big decks like abzan and jeskai didn't get much out of the non-fetchlands

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

idk BFZ cards are an intergral part of some of the funner decks like the rally deck and there is an eldrazi ramp deck

tho i guess yeah the big decks like abzan and jeskai didn't get much out of the non-fetchlands

Right. It did impact standard eventually, but the pro tour which I think Wizards has really banked on to showcase their new stuff, was a dud. New decks have emerged, and there are interesting things in BFZ but I think Maro hedging and what we've gotten from it match up. Draft wasn't as balanced/playable as it should have been, blue is to deep and green is to shallow, and standard hasn't been impacted enough for players satisfaction.

I think the big win from BFZ is that more cards are playable in modern/legacy/vintage than first appeared to be the case. Painful Truths is good, Wasteland Strangler is good along with Ulamog etc.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I just posted a banme, which apparently don't get displayed anywhere anymore?

we good now, I ate the eggs.

Also the goon I was referring to made the argument about 4 years ago and was the first guy I ever put on my ignore list as a result because I realized he was never going to contribute anything useful :v:

e: banmes go to the gas chamber automatically now it looks like

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

no what i said was that the mods don't really ban people for toxxes (as far as i've seen from my days of being a mod!) so the ban-me was the only way to go through with it

i mean i probably said it way meaner then that but that's cause i'm an rear end in a top hat

Sigma-X posted:

I just posted a banme, which apparently don't get displayed anywhere anymore?

we good now, I ate the eggs.

Also the goon I was referring to made the argument about 4 years ago and was the first guy I ever put on my ignore list as a result because I realized he was never going to contribute anything useful :v:

e: banmes go to the gas chamber automatically now it looks like

yeah its in the leper colony and on your rap-sheet, you're fine

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Right. It did impact standard eventually, but the pro tour which I think Wizards has really banked on to showcase their new stuff, was a dud. New decks have emerged, and there are interesting things in BFZ but I think Maro hedging and what we've gotten from it match up. Draft wasn't as balanced/playable as it should have been, blue is to deep and green is to shallow, and standard hasn't been impacted enough for players satisfaction.

I think the big win from BFZ is that more cards are playable in modern/legacy/vintage than first appeared to be the case. Painful Truths is good, Wasteland Strangler is good along with Ulamog etc.

ooooh okay, that makes more sense

at least it wasn't like Born of the Gods, where literally like none of the cards were played

actually i might be misremembering, i know there was another set where the pro tour was bad for the new set but it might not have been BOG

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

alansmithee posted:

You're ignoring the fact that this is the internet where everyone races to poo poo on everything more than the last dude. The leaks could've been $50 bills and free bjs and you'd get people bitching about $100 bills being way more powerful and free bjs being a WotC gimmick to try to get people to wash or something.

But if the cards were spoiled on the official Wizards of the Coast mothership online website, a cool place for gamers of all classes to come together as equals, then nobody would complain. They would see a clip art of kozilek wibbling awkwardly against a CGI background and their minds would be blown straight to their wallets.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Ettin posted:

Ha ha, this is what I get for checking the mod queue when I wake up. :hurr:

Not really gonna check whether spoilers are fake in the future though so

Wait he actually reported it

Holy poo poo

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
did han report first

Lottery of Babylon posted:

But if the cards were spoiled on the official Wizards of the Coast mothership online website, a cool place for gamers of all classes to come together as equals, then nobody would complain. They would see a clip art of kozilek wibbling awkwardly against a CGI background and their minds would be blown straight to their wallets.

I mean when they showed wrath of god turning into damnation that was dope as gently caress

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

is this something they did in an article? i wanna see the wibbling Kozi

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ooooh okay, that makes more sense

at least it wasn't like Born of the Gods, where literally like none of the cards were played

actually i might be misremembering, i know there was another set where the pro tour was bad for the new set but it might not have been BOG

Prophet of Kruphix was played in Jund for a little while there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

GoutPatrol posted:

Prophet of Kruphix was played in Jund for a little while there.

Prophet is a Theros card. :goonsay:

Also Blue Jund will never not be a hilarious pile to me.

• Locked thread