Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Torrannor posted:

That's really curious. Was the Byzantine Emperor part of the war? He's apparently married to a close relative, did you call him to war and he actually joined the crusade?

The pope (who's a part of my dynasty) probably invited him to the war and he pretty much stole my siege scores out from under me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Vichan posted:

The pope (who's a part of my dynasty) probably invited him to the war and he pretty much stole my siege scores out from under me.

That's really odd, I never knew the Pope could accept non-Catholics into a Crusade.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Torrannor posted:

There's a difference between releasing a DLC in severe need of patching before going on holidays, and releasing a simple informative dev diary about a DLV and going on holidays.

Yes, what I meant is that they conclusively did not aim for a Christmas DLC release (even though it would have probably been pretty lucrative), which is an improvement even if it means we all have to suck it up and wait for our free previews.

Admittedly I am kind of annoyed that we clearly won't be getting any sort of patch for the game until the DLC drops but oh well.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
edit: double post, sigh.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I did think they said they were going to announce it before the end of the year. Maybe someone's going to sneak into the office on the 31st to post.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dallan Invictus posted:

Admittedly I am kind of annoyed that we clearly won't be getting any sort of patch for the game until the DLC drops but oh well.

Well, there are no outrageous bug at the moment, as far as I know.

The most pressing issue is the horde nerf, I think. But even that is not too urgent.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Sure, your Holiness. Whatever you say!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vichan posted:

Sure, your Holiness. Whatever you say!

Good luck crossing the entirety of the Abbasid realm to get to Baluchistan. It will be fun when all your guys die of insufficient supply along the way.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Torrannor posted:

Good luck crossing the entirety of the Abbasid realm to get to Baluchistan. It will be fun when all your guys die of insufficient supply along the way.

The Abbasid Empire collapsed a few centuries ago, the whole Middle East/Persian region is filled with its successor states. The Abbassid sultanate being the most eastern one.

The pope still lost almost all of his men trying to get to the place, what an idiot!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
In my Zorastrian Uyghur game, the high Priest called a crusade for Greece, which was not only really close to our lands but one of the best kingdoms to get.

The one I wanted to get was Egypt though, which would have been more politically useful. It really makes me miss being the Fylkir or Caliph, not even being able to tell the bastard where I want us to go next.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Now they're just being silly...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Vichan posted:

Now they're just being silly...

You've got the best Popes :allears:

I wish the follow up event to "Random distant relative wants a holding" couldn't fire when you're fighting an offensive war for territory. Like yeah, I'm happy to give you land, I'm not trying to keep you without power or anything, I just don't own it yet and am in the middle of killing thousands of people in order to get it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Mister Adequate posted:

You've got the best Popes :allears:

I wish the follow up event to "Random distant relative wants a holding" couldn't fire when you're fighting an offensive war for territory. Like yeah, I'm happy to give you land, I'm not trying to keep you without power or anything, I just don't own it yet and am in the middle of killing thousands of people in order to get it.

But I want it nowwww.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Question for the modders in the thread: is it possible to make it so for a given government type, any randomly-generated courtiers share the same dynasty as their demesne ruler? I'm thinking of trying to mod Tribal governments so that they're actually clan-based rather than a proto-feudal approximation like they are now, but I don't know if such a thing would be possible without lots of scripting events churning in the background.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Spiderfist Island posted:

Question for the modders in the thread: is it possible to make it so for a given government type, any randomly-generated courtiers share the same dynasty as their demesne ruler? I'm thinking of trying to mod Tribal governments so that they're actually clan-based rather than a proto-feudal approximation like they are now, but I don't know if such a thing would be possible without lots of scripting events churning in the background.

If you hook into the right event you could have it set the dynasty after they are created, though it at least used to have a bug where after you reload a game, it counts them as your children.
on_new_holder might work if you can detect whether the character is newly created.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I was doing so well, too! The 2nd Indian Crusade could've been a major victory for Christendom... :negative:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Vichan posted:

I was doing so well, too! The 2nd Indian Crusade could've been a major victory for Christendom... :negative:

..can't you just join with your heir and get all the war score & contribution back immediately?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Excelzior posted:

..can't you just join with your heir and get all the war score & contribution back immediately?

I did, I regained my contribution but lost my occupations which means there's a -123% modifier working against us...

My holy orders are decimating everything the Hindus are throwing at me, though! I might still win this!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
In case you're wondering, the reason that happens is that basically the Crusade weighting for everything outside of Europe and Jerusalem is the default 0, so if Catholics already hold all of that the pope seems to randomly pick from every other (coastal?) kingdom in the world.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

That makes sense, Christianity has done very well for itself while Islam pretty much crashed and burned early on.

Behold:

What to do now? Do I give the kingdom to a relative? Do I go for the empire of Italia?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Sindai posted:

In case you're wondering, the reason that happens is that basically the Crusade weighting for everything outside of Europe and Jerusalem is the default 0, so if Catholics already hold all of that the pope seems to randomly pick from every other (coastal?) kingdom in the world.

Didn't it use to be that religious heads would stop declaring crusades if there weren't any specifically weighted kingdoms left? I wonder when/why that changed.

Spiderfist Island posted:

Unfortunately this would probably have to be done after the fact because the game generates a lot of courtiers/characters in ways that scripting can't touch (also, you'd want to be able to catch event-generated courtiers as well so unless you wanted to modify every single create_character call in the game you'd be best off using a maintenance event to switch their dynasties.

Newly generated characters are usually either lowborn or have like one dynasty member (since even when generated dynasties have the same name they are considered separate by the game and, for example, have different random CoAs), both of which event script can check for.

This MIGHT do dumb things to the dynasty view screen, but I seem to remember it being possible to change a character's parents through event scripting even after birth so even that could be fixed if you cared..

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 17, 2015

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

My king just murdered his way through hostile Muslims lands (there's a Jihad going on) just so he could crush a minor revolt in the Indian territories! So silly yet so enormously badass!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Dallan Invictus posted:

Didn't it use to be that religious heads would stop declaring crusades if there weren't any specifically weighted kingdoms left? I wonder when/why that changed.

Yeah but why wouldn't the Pope try to liberate more heathans once they got all the historical places? This is Crusader Kings after all. :v:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its only fair, I guess. Jihads and other types of great holy wars are not limited to history neither.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I definitely think it's better that they continue to declare them, even when they run out of weighted kingdoms. It'd be nice if they considered adjacency to Christendom, though.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Strudel Man posted:

I definitely think it's better that they continue to declare them, even when they run out of weighted kingdoms. It'd be nice if they considered adjacency to Christendom, though.

The Indian kingdoms should at least have negative weight (if possible)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Eh, if Christianity somehow conquered their way there then I don't see why they wouldn't go for India - the issue is the distance and the giant hostile empire in the way for any usual setup. I think all that's necessary is some consideration of adjacency and distance - which is something that can already be modded in if you add additional restrictions (or ai_will_do factors, which might even be another way to weight targets) to the Crusade CB.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
It should be a bit better on picking its target though.... :stonklol:

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Groogy posted:

It should be a bit better on picking its target though.... :stonklol:

I have had the High Priest of my West African Empire declare Great Holy Wars twice for Indian Kingdoms when I was still making my way up through Spain. I mean, France is RIGHT THERE, for gently caress's sake. Or at least pick Egypt, maybe?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
It's probably just because there's so many of the drat things.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Coward posted:

I have had the High Priest of my West African Empire declare Great Holy Wars twice for Indian Kingdoms when I was still making my way up through Spain. I mean, France is RIGHT THERE, for gently caress's sake. Or at least pick Egypt, maybe?

During my last Rome game the Caliphs kept calling Jihads for India simply because they were convinced that any attack on me holding virtually all the important provinces (including Mecca) would have been bitchslapped down. Ironically a Jihad was pretty much the only thing that COULD have conceivably challenged me.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Coward posted:

Hey there West African buddy. :hfive:

I took all of west Africa and left the umayyads and Asturias to do what they please with Spain. I did take the duchy directly across the straits of Gibraltar though as a permanent beachhead against incursions from the north.

After that I crushed the Sultanate of Africa and snatched the title. Moved my capital to Tunis and established a trade republic in Tangier, switching my primary title to the Kingdom of Africa. After the holy wars with Muslims to get to that point, Islamic levies are pretty much constantly in battle because when I broke their armies all the Catholics and the Orthodox in the east starting pounding the big Islamic powers. I'm currently working my way though the abbasids so I can swallow Abyssinia and Egypt to turn all of Africa into a unified kingdom.

West Africans get a raw deal mechanically but I still like to play them. The good thing is I've got lucky with the high priest and he's called wars against only the abbasids and umayyads. I swallowed the Sultanate of Africa duchy by duchy.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
Have Paradox talked about nomad balance? Once I hit 15k troops no singular empire was a threat. Once I hit 30k I could declare wars without caring who else joined in. In a pretty short span I took most of the area between Crimea and England.

One of the more broken things seems to be being able to safely have infinite holdings as long as there are at least 2 buildings. I directly own over half of Europe and all of my nomadic vassals seem ok with that. This makes for a very stable empire.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Freakus posted:

Have Paradox talked about nomad balance? Once I hit 15k troops no singular empire was a threat. Once I hit 30k I could declare wars without caring who else joined in. In a pretty short span I took most of the area between Crimea and England.

Gorgy said in this thread that nomads have been heavily nerfed. Coming in the next patch, I guess.

Freakus posted:

One of the more broken things seems to be being able to safely have infinite holdings as long as there are at least 2 buildings. I directly own over half of Europe and all of my nomadic vassals seem ok with that. This makes for a very stable empire.

I dont know about this. In my nomad game I didnt see much advantage in having that many holdings.

In fact, I did the opposite, having as little as possible (just enough to have room to grown my pop). That's because max population depends on how many holdings you have in control, and its very good to be at 90% of max population at all times, since it allows you to use that kingdom-level CB, which is the best CB you can use.

So I would just have enough holdings to be at almost max pop. If you have too many of then, you will have a huge limit and population and will take a really long time to reach 90% of it.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 18, 2015

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000

Elias_Maluco posted:

Gorgy said in this thread that nomads have been heavily nerfed. Coming in the next patch, I guess.
Good to know.

Elias_Maluco posted:

In fact, I did the opposite, having as little as possible (just enough to have room to grown my pop). That's because max population depends on how many holdings you have in control, and its very good to be at 90% of max population at all times, since it allows you to use that kingdom-level CB, which is the best CB you can use.

So I would just have enough holdings to be at almost max pop. If you have too many of then, you will have a huge limit and population and will take a really long time to reach 90% of it.
I found the invasion CB mostly pointless. I just Holy War (reformed Tengri) everyone around me constantly. For the really large empires, such as the Abassids and Byzantine, I subjugated them then stripped them of everything once I could. Since I have no non-nomad vassals there is effectively no penalty to this.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well, holy wars are good and all, but its duke-level and can only be used against other religions. Subjugation is awesome but can only be used once in a lifetime.

Invasions are kingdom-level and as a nomad you can use it anytime against anyone, nothing can beat that.

I found it a lot more useful and fun than keeping perfect stability. Every once in a while I would have an independence revolt or a khan trying to overthrow me, but it is just a minor nuisance when you got and unbeatable stack of full cavalry ready.

In any case, no matter what strategy you choose, nomads are indeed very easy right now.

EDIT: vvvvvvvv oh, sorry man

In my experience nomad strength lies in several factors:

1- easy succession

2- loads of money, since you get full tax no matter how your vassals like you

3- excellent CBs

4- a standing army that's way better than retinues (bigger and stronger) and almost free

4 is the more decisive, I guess. Have a large nomad army and you can crush empires way bigger than you and no revolt has a realistic chance ever (so there inst much of a reason to worry too much about internal politics)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 18, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Elias_Maluco posted:

One, don't misspell my name :(
Second, I didn't say heavily nerfed I believe but rather we have done some tweaks. There strengths lies in how the core of combat works out in CK2 so it is quite hard to get a handle on it but done my best for the next patch but while at the same time also boosting the aggressiveness of the Mongol horde.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The risk is that you make them outright ineffectual. Their aggression means nothing if they've got no teeth.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
To be fair a player controlled horde should be a existential level threat since steppe hordes are always the most threatening when led by a strong leader with no thought of luxury or peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000

Elias_Maluco posted:

I found it a lot more useful and fun than keeping perfect stability.
I don't actually aim for perfect stability - I prefer to play my rulers as I think they would act. But given no negative consequences to stripping titles, why wouldn't an arbitrary zealot strip the titles of all heathens in their realm?

• Locked thread