Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Are all of the posters there like that? :getin:

to answer the original question: AudioSource AMP-100

Just a vocal minority. It's not nearly as bad as the sites I've been banned from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Eh, its more fun to troll the crazies into the open on a non-audiophile forum. Ask for setup advice somewhere you would expect decent discussion, and in your existing spec, itemize a $0.50 kettle cord or something.

Wait for people audiophiles to pop in and give you the weakest link spiel
Agree in principle and ask for some measurements on the effect
Keep agreeing in principle to the benefits of soundstage you will experience, ask for some measurements on it

You can keep this up for a while, and they will get frothing mad at you [themselves, really] when they can't answer your basic questions.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Here we go again. Another audiophile-infested forum with users who are so deeply-set in their crazy woo-woo beliefs that every single thread I participate in with relevant advice eventually turns into personal attacks against me.

For context, the discussion was about a user asking for amplifier recommendations for a specific set of speakers. I dared to suggest a couple of decent budget options with adequate power, but apparently the audiophiles took offense to that and insisted that 1) 100+W is absolutely necessary even if you only ever use ~10W (100dB on a 90dB/1W@1m speaker), and 2) the more fancy-looking and expensive your amp is, the better it sounds.

I countered with ABX tests, they started getting personal.

E: There's more.

I like to imagine him literally foaming at the mouth. About hifi gear. While sitting in his underwear in his mom's basement. Furiously masturbating to his own indignation at my forum posts.

Please post a link to this forum.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

AAC-HE is effectively your best (only?) option for ultralow bitrates and most AAC encoders are about the same, so you may as well let iTunes do it. That's if your 4Gb iPod supports it, which it may not. What is the actual model?

I think it's a 2nd gen Nano? Bought it in '07 or thereabouts. I've never actually used iTunes, the first thing I did with my Nano was load some app on it that gave me a custom interface so I could just drag files over to it like a USB stick. When I decided Vorbis was the file format for me I moved over to RockBox and it's been running that for the last 5 years or so. There must be a way for foobar to encode AAC, I'll experiment with that and see if I can find a sweet spot where the sound quality is relatively transparent over crappy earbuds.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Khablam posted:

Eh, its more fun to troll the crazies into the open on a non-audiophile forum. Ask for setup advice somewhere you would expect decent discussion, and in your existing spec, itemize a $0.50 kettle cord or something.

Wait for people audiophiles to pop in and give you the weakest link spiel
Agree in principle and ask for some measurements on the effect
Keep agreeing in principle to the benefits of soundstage you will experience, ask for some measurements on it

You can keep this up for a while, and they will get frothing mad at you [themselves, really] when they can't answer your basic questions.

That's amazing. I will definitely remember this one. I use regular-rear end copper wire and my audio sounds ~amazing~

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

The coat hanger ABX is also a really good way to get them when you're pretty deep in.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Are all of the posters there like that? :getin:

to answer the original question: AudioSource AMP-100

Is Audiosource OK? they've always given me the impression of being the Walmart of separates

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Panty Saluter posted:

Is Audiosource OK? they've always given me the impression of being the Walmart of separates

I don't know what separates are (i am not an audiophile) but they power my Klipsch R15s really well. no noise/hiss

also check this out http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/audiosource/amp-100.htm

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

Please post a link to this forum.

It's the forums at http://www.recordere.dk/, but it's all in Danish.

In completely unrelated news, the soundtrack to Pinchcliffe Grand Prix was just released on CD, limited to 1000 copies. Guess what I got in the mail today :D

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Have you ever wanted a $13,000 DAC? No? Well apparently enough do for Playback Designs to sell one. It has a big stupid remote control even though the only thing it has to do is receive bits and spit out an analog signal. My $150 Schiit DAC only has a button to switch input modes--why would you need anything more for a DAC?

quote:

The next logical step in the Playback Designs' line of products is the release of the Music Playback Digital to Analog Converter 5, also known as the MPD-5. The Playback Designs MPD-5 is identical in every way to the MPS-5 SACD / CD Player except it does not have a transport mechanism. Also, thanks to the modular nature of its design, the MPD-5 can be upgraded to a fully functional MPS-5 CD / SACD Player. The MPD-5 is a world class DAC that can receive a variety of external digital sources, including PC based music servers – not only a unique and powerful combination, but also versatile in applications.
Why don't they just call it a "disc drive"?

quote:

Audio is represented in a y/x-axis system: the y-axis for amplitude and the x-axis for time. Mostly because of analog audio's sensitivity problems in the y-axis, digital audio was introduced. But digital audio not only quantizes the y-axis, it does so as well on the x-axis. Sounds like we got more than we wanted - true and too bad. A typical state-of-the-art DAC converts between quantization levels in the digital y-axis and the analog y-axis and is completely transparent and open as to what happens on the x-axis (time domain). Sounds like we forgot the quantization on the x-axis.

This oversight forced us to treat digital audio signals as if they were analog: use special cables, use all kinds of mechanical devices for our CD players, power conditioners for digital audio etc. Looks like we just shifted the original problem from the y- axis to the x-axis, but the issues are still the same. Instead of interference or crosstalk we now call it clock jitter.

Almost all DACs available today deal with the y-axis only and rely on external devices for the x-axis, such as complicated master/slave clock arrangements or external sync clock generators. At best these devices are band-aids on a wide open wound deep inside the DAC. They help, but do not resolve the problem at the source. We need a 2-dimensional DAC that not only works on the y-axis, but also on the x-axis. With this we can separate the digital world completely from the analog one and render any digital cable, transmission format, storage media and application completely irrelevant to the final sonic performance. The only analog problem that we still have then is the separation of the power supplies for digital and analog.

The DAC inside the Playback Designs product line does exactly that: clock jitter from incoming digital audio signals can be described as an analog signal that gets mixed together with a quantized digital signal (our ideal and constant sample rate clock). So before any processing can happen we need to bring these 2 components into the same domain: The Playback Designs system quantizes the clock jitter into a digital signal, where it then can be subtracted from the original sample rate while the latter is converted to analog at the same time. Of the course, the DAC also works independently in the y-axis by using a set of unique algorithms in a completely discrete architecture (not even a single Op-Amp is used).

Tests have shown that the DAC inside the Playback Designs product line can be fed by any digital source including a PC, an inexpensive Discman, a DVD player, or high-end CD transport and none of them seem to make a difference on the sonic performance of the analog output signal. Ultimately this means that as long as you are sending our DAC truthful complete bits the source does not make a difference. We believe if you own a home computer, you already own a music server that cannot be sonically bettered!
:psyduck:
Does a Discman even have an SPDIF output?

And now for one of my favorite audiophile products, Koetsu low-output cartridges. Good cartridges can be expensive, but not the price of a new car. Koetsu is infamous for making the casings of their higher-end cartridges out of exotic natural materials to raise the markup make the owner feel rich improve the sound quality. I would not be surprised if they made cartridges that are illegal to import into the US because they contain ivory.

Choice quote:

quote:

Koetsu owners decorate their homes with originals, not prints. They smoke Cubans rather than Swisher Sweets. They drink single malt. They favor vinyl to CDs, and their systems sound better than their buddies'. Koetsu owners require the best. And they know the difference. In the 1970s, Yosiaki Sugano, a renaissance man who'd had success as an artist, musician, swordsman, calligrapher and business executive, became the creator of the world's most renowned phono cartridges.
By an rear end in a top hat, for assholes. Their most expensive model on the site costs $18,500 and comes with a diamond cantilever. God help you if you fumble with the tonearm or touch it very slightly too hard with the stylus brush.

But in the end, it doesn't matter, because for the truly rich audiophile, as with all forms of 1% consumption, the waste is part of the appeal. You are extremely rich, and you derive pleasure from destroying quantities of capital that workers would sell their organs for.

88h88 posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/03/sennheiser-new-orpheus-headphones/

For that money you could buy a pair of every single electrostatic headphones ever produced.

And I thought my HD 598s with the "luxury car" appearance (read: nicotine colored plastic, pleather, and fake wood) were ugly.

And the idea of dinky little headphone drivers producing enough 8 Hz infrasound that you could feel it--yeah, right. :what:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 17, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quote:

Ultimately this means that as long as you are sending our DAC truthful complete bits the source does not make a difference.
Tell me more about these untruthful, incomplete bits.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Turning on the new $50K Sennheiser HEV-1060 that 88h88 posted earlier:

https://i.imgur.com/epyzfv9.gifv

:jerkbag:

It sure is going to be great when the complex array of moving parts required to achieve this "squeezing knobs out of marble assholes" effect breaks down.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Endless Mike posted:

Tell me more about these untruthful, incomplete bits.

Inside your computer are millions of little bits.
Each one of those bits can be a one or a zero and as your computer
runs programs each one of these bits changes its state, often
thousands of times every second.

Understandably, this puts a lot of pressure on your bits and,
after a period of time, some of your bits may start to wear out.
At first your bits become a little bit cranky and don't change
quite as quickly and after much use they may become worn out on
the edges.

The Bit Recycler is designed to reconstitute your bits, making
sure that your bits are always in top shape.

When you first run the Bit Recycler, the title screen will appear.
The first thing to do is to select "Analyse Bits" from the Run
Menu. The Bit Recycler will proceed to analyse your bits and
determine their average state of health. When analysis has
completed you will be presented with a report. If the report
recommends bit recycling then choose "Recycle" from the Run menu.

Bit Recycling has three stages. First, your worn out bits are ground
up into a sort of bit 'mush'. The bit mush is then boiled and poured
on to a conveyor belt where finally, brand new bits are stamped out.

Bit Recycling is a maintainence operation which should be performed
at least once a month. This will normally substitute for the old-
fashioned way of recycling your bits. Somewhere inside your computer,
usually tucked away beside the hard drive, there is a little container
called the 'Bit Bucket'. Worn out bits usually accumulate in the
Bit Bucket. For manual recycling, bring your computer to a trained
Bit Recycling Technician. He will remove the Bit Bucket and pour
the worn out bits into a little spout on the back of your computer
where they will be reprocessed.

* NOTE: Do not attempt manual bit recycling yourself.
The above description of manual recycling is a
simplified outline of an inherently complex and technical
operation. Use the TOGGLE BOOLEANS Bit Recycler instead or
consult a trained technician. TOGGLE BOOLEANS will not
be responsible, in any way whatsoever, for any damage
or data loss caused by the use of the Bit Recycler
or following these intructions.

Version 1.2 also add the ability to detect and execute subversive
elements among your bits. Sometimes when bits are worked too
hard they become revolutionary. If your Ones are being worked
harder than your Zeros, the Ones begin to feel like they are being
exploited and if there is strong leader among them, they can
rampage through your computer trying to turn all of the Zeros they
find into Ones.
This can cause great havoc for the computer user, so it is important
to ocassionally discipline or execute these subversive elements.
To do so, select Execute Subversive Bits from the Run menu after
Bit Analysis has completed.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 17, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Woolie Wool posted:

Have you ever wanted a $13,000 DAC? No? Well apparently enough do for Playback Designs to sell one. It has a big stupid remote control even though the only thing it has to do is receive bits and spit out an analog signal. My $150 Schiit DAC only has a button to switch input modes--why would you need anything more for a DAC?

Ah yes, "normal" DACs completely ignore the time domain and just machine gun out bits at random.

What?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

Ah yes, "normal" DACs completely ignore the time domain and just machine gun out bits at random.

What?

This is true. And it's because (and this is important) timing of bits has exactly zero impact on audio quality.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Woolie Wool posted:

Why don't they just call it a "disc drive"?
"Transport" is audio/video engineering jargon for the part of a media player/recorder that's responsible for getting the signal off of/onto the medium (not just optical media, things like tapes too). It's not just audiophile bullshit—calling the CD transport a "disc drive" would be legitimately odd in this context.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KillHour posted:

This is true. And it's because (and this is important) timing of bits has exactly zero impact on audio quality.

So is the sample timing just assumed on conversion for playback as (x) nanoseconds? I mean, you can't IGNORE the time domain on decode, or all you get is garbage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fishmech posted:

Inside your computer are millions of little bits.
Each one of those bits can be a one or a zero and as your computer
runs programs each one of these bits changes its state, often
thousands of times every second.

Understandably, this puts a lot of pressure on your bits and,
after a period of time, some of your bits may start to wear out.
At first your bits become a little bit cranky and don't change
quite as quickly and after much use they may become worn out on
the edges.

The Bit Recycler is designed to reconstitute your bits, making
sure that your bits are always in top shape.

When you first run the Bit Recycler, the title screen will appear.
The first thing to do is to select "Analyse Bits" from the Run
Menu. The Bit Recycler will proceed to analyse your bits and
determine their average state of health. When analysis has
completed you will be presented with a report. If the report
recommends bit recycling then choose "Recycle" from the Run menu.

Bit Recycling has three stages. First, your worn out bits are ground
up into a sort of bit 'mush'. The bit mush is then boiled and poured
on to a conveyor belt where finally, brand new bits are stamped out.

Bit Recycling is a maintainence operation which should be performed
at least once a month. This will normally substitute for the old-
fashioned way of recycling your bits. Somewhere inside your computer,
usually tucked away beside the hard drive, there is a little container
called the 'Bit Bucket'. Worn out bits usually accumulate in the
Bit Bucket. For manual recycling, bring your computer to a trained
Bit Recycling Technician. He will remove the Bit Bucket and pour
the worn out bits into a little spout on the back of your computer
where they will be reprocessed.

* NOTE: Do not attempt manual bit recycling yourself.
The above description of manual recycling is a
simplified outline of an inherently complex and technical
operation. Use the TOGGLE BOOLEANS Bit Recycler instead or
consult a trained technician. TOGGLE BOOLEANS will not
be responsible, in any way whatsoever, for any damage
or data loss caused by the use of the Bit Recycler
or following these intructions.

Version 1.2 also add the ability to detect and execute subversive
elements among your bits. Sometimes when bits are worked too
hard they become revolutionary. If your Ones are being worked
harder than your Zeros, the Ones begin to feel like they are being
exploited and if there is strong leader among them, they can
rampage through your computer trying to turn all of the Zeros they
find into Ones.
This can cause great havoc for the computer user, so it is important
to ocassionally discipline or execute these subversive elements.
To do so, select Execute Subversive Bits from the Run menu after
Bit Analysis has completed.

:stare:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

So is the sample timing just assumed on conversion for playback as (x) nanoseconds? I mean, you can't IGNORE the time domain on decode, or all you get is garbage.

It's not like playing an instrument where a bit is plucking a string, or whatever. There are a certain number of bits that make up a second of audio (prenegotiated between the devices). As long as they arrive in the right order and you aren't missing any, the exact timing really doesn't matter beyond making sure they don't take longer than the buffer on the receiving end (because then you'll "run out" of sound to play and the music will cut out.)

The part where timing has to be accurate (or at least consistent) is in the encode and decode. If you have a "drifting" clock, the encoder may think that a stable analog input of, say 900hz is 890hz one second and 910hz the next second.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 17, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So that's what I was saying - they just assume a fixed amount of time per sample.

That being said, a drifting clock would yield a hideous amount of pitch variation that would be hard to miss. The reason for a master clock in recording is purely because every device has a little difference in clock so a master clock keeping everyone in sync is a good idea. On playback I can't imagine it matters much.

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 18, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You're right. It doesn't.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
The bitrecycler is a real thing? That was sold? It's like memory doubler technology aimed at a niche market.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

synthetik posted:

The bitrecycler is a real thing? That was sold? It's like memory doubler technology aimed at a niche market.

I'm sure that something that used animated gifs of bits getting executed with a guillotine and calling them 'subversive' was a very serious product and in no way made as a joke.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm sure that something that used animated gifs of bits getting executed with a guillotine and calling them 'subversive' was a very serious product and in no way made as a joke.

Yeah that's great and all but would you like to download more RAM to your computer?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

It looks like something my father in law would make and release as shareware.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Wasabi the J posted:

I can never tell with fishmech posts anymore.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

synthetik posted:

It was a freeware release on shareware cds and BBSes. And it's a parody of under-educated user superstitions, and the various crappy freeware and shareware utilities of the day.

Here's the rest of the readme:

The Bit Recycler Version 1.2 is freeware. It may be copied and distributed freely under the following conditions:

- No modifications are to be made to the Bit Recycler program or this documentation.
- This file must be distributed with the Bit Recycler program.

For more information about other TOGGLE BOOLEANS products, such as the Programmer's Shell, the Desktop Coffee Mug, Pop Charts, Mouse Warp, or the Elvis Detector write to:

TOGGLE BOOLEANS
P.O. Box 4202
Station E
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada, K1S 5B2

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

From a review of the Sennheiser HD 650 headphones:

quote:

It's very good for pipe organ, easily reproducing all of the 16 foot ranks. 32 foot ranks sound very good, but you won't quite hear all of the Cs and Ds — but very few things can reproduce sub-20 cycle notes like these.

Isn't that like the sort of poo poo you need transmission line speakers or subwoofers with multi-kilowatt class D amps to reproduce (assuming you actually have a recording that contains any), and a big room for it to fill to give you the bone-rattling effect? Why even talk about that in a headphone review? Headphones do not, cannot, and should not reproduce infrasound, end of story.

HD 598s do organ better anyway, and I have both so I know personally

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I don't think it's that cans can't produce 16 Hz (especially given the small volume of air they have to pressurize), it's more that infrasonics are perceived more with your body than your ears.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had a discman with optical out, it was my first CD player and I used it with my first receiver until I got a changer

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

qirex posted:

I had a discman with optical out, it was my first CD player and I used it with my first receiver until I got a changer

Well in that case go for it. Especially if you can do it in front of someone who owns a ridiculously expensive transport.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The whole PlayStation CD transport thing was where I went from amusingly tolerating audiophiles into realizing they're in the Twilight Zone.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

What kind of pseudoscience would lead you to "cheap plastic gaming console is greatest CD player"?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boiled Water posted:

What kind of pseudoscience would lead you to "cheap plastic gaming console is greatest CD player"?

Other than horrible functionality, what makes you think it's any better or worse than a cheap plastic audio CD player, or cheap plastic DVD player, or expensive plastic CD player.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I don't, hence the question.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's not about it being objectively better, it's all about feeling like you're part of an exclusive group that knows something the rest of the world doesn't. That's why they tend to flock to "hidden gems" and prefer the obtuse user experience of an original Playstation, because everything is better if it's hard to use.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hope they keep believing it, as I've got one I need to shift on eBay.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Boiled Water posted:

Especially when said console has noticeable video crosstalk noise in the audio. Then again I was 19 when I bought a Playstation and could still hear 15.75 kHz just fine. :smug:

:(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

Especially when said console has noticeable video crosstalk noise in the audio. Then again I was 19 when I bought a Playstation and could still hear 15.75 kHz just fine. :smug:

:(

Oh God, grandpa's telling another "when I was a kid" story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KillHour posted:

Oh God, grandpa's telling another "when I was a kid" story.

Get off my lawn with your good hearing, whippersnapper! :bahgawd: