Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zoness posted:

I mean when they showed wrath of god turning into damnation that was dope as gently caress

I actually knew a guy who said with a straight face "Have you seen the new 10th Ed Wrath of God art? It's just a white version of Damnation."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

is this something they did in an article? i wanna see the wibbling Kozi
I think he meant this: http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/396

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

oh my god

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

that animation was awesome in 2010 and it's still awesome today :colbert:

Plus, in context, that reveal also came with like these reactions:

"Holy poo poo a colorless non-artifact"
"Holy poo poo annihilator"
"Holy poo poo that's not etb"
"Haha that shits on mill players there goes that sometimes goon championed turbo fog deck jk real goons played goonflare trap"

I mean, rose tinted glasses might be possible but like man that was a sweet card to see spoiled that way.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 17, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
it was cheesy at the time but it was also awesome to see so many new things. Again, in comparison, our current ELdrazi overlords are boring as gently caress because nothing they do is that new.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
diamonds are new

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm pissed they don't do impactful style previews anymore like the fade from Wrath to Damnation, the Eldrazi animation, spoilers hidden in April Fools articles, or even the secret reveal of the infect reminder text.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
If I have to pick that reveal or dumb twitter posts, I'll take that reveal every time.

I agree with Trick.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm pissed they don't do impactful style previews anymore like the fade from Wrath to Damnation, the Eldrazi animation, spoilers hidden in April Fools articles, or even the secret reveal of the infect reminder text.

that eldrazi thing looks really cheesy to me but i guess in 201o no wait it would have looked bad to me even then

i don't know what the other stuff is, all before my time probably

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

is this something they did in an article? i wanna see the wibbling Kozi

I dunno but one of the "leaks are theft" article's complaints is that the leaks made Kozilek rising out of the sea not have as much of an impact, so I assumed that was on the stream or something.

Maybe there's no animation and their just upset that the plot twist of next week's uncharted realms was spoiled?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I hope that we get some white-devoid cards in the upcoming set.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I dunno but one of the "leaks are theft" article's complaints is that the leaks made Kozilek rising out of the sea not have as much of an impact, so I assumed that was on the stream or something.

Maybe there's no animation and their just upset that the plot twist of next week's uncharted realms was spoiled?

i think he was talking about the UR story in that case

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

i think he was talking about the UR story in that case

Didn't everyone guess Kozilek was going to be in the winter set over a month before the leaks?

Also, does anyone actually read UR?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
While I think that the arguments presented by Trick aren't presented in the best way, I think he's justified in saying "We really wish this wouldn't happen". Marketing is a thing for a reason, and there's a lot more hype that you can get out of carefully doling out the information over a period of time. Spoiler season is usually pretty exciting around here, with a lot of discussion going on, or speculation about what we might see. When we get all of the expeditions and most (all?) of the mythics unceremoniously leaked beforehand, sure we'll still discuss them, but it does take something out of it. I mean, it's natural to want it all NOW (I certainly looked despite what I'm saying here), it can be more fun to have it spread out.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Didn't everyone guess Kozilek was going to be in the winter set over a month before the leaks?

Also, does anyone actually read UR?

The set symbol was correctly assumed to be those floaty things behind all of his brood right when it was announced.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Kozilek was kind of obviously coming back? He is heralded after all.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Sickening posted:

Name and shame, coward.

I think I might be the one he's talking about because I know I've foolishly tried to deploy analogies in this thread on many occasions and I might have said that they reflect a similar sort of FYGM, better-we-all-suffer-than-my-inferiors-get-nice-things mentality, but I'm certain I never said that lack of healthcare is on the same map as lack of wizard cardboard in terms of scale or human suffering.

I have no problems believing that Sigma would have read that into my words, though, because goons have real (and possibly deliberate) problems understanding that when someone makes a rhetorical analogy, they're intending to demonstrate some sort of point and not necessarily to claim that the two things are identical or comparable in all particulars.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I can see how folks who's job it is to put together an announcement package might be disappointed that all the air was already let out well ahead of said event. And for a mechanic as interesting as the colorless mana now being symbolized, having an official explanation of it to go along would have been helpful.

It's not like anyone but the 0.1% of folks who care wayyy to much about this card game really benefit from knowing what's coming in the next set ahead of announcements outside of having more ample nerd water cooler chat topics. We want to know because it's fun thinking of what we can do with said cards, but when that is is kinda irrelevant to that.

I just hope he realizes how 'ehhh' that article is. He has a few ok points, but the tone is a tad on the dramatic side.

/WoTC Sympathizer, still avid spoiler reader

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

this is a pretty huge spoiler, though, i mean it's not like a bunch of random cards, it's the entire run of the incredibly hyped expeditions (and don't you think they'd have gotten serious mileage out of the Wasteland reveal?), the new mechanic, marquee mythic, plus a bunch of other mythics including both walkers.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Leaks are less exciting than official spoilers but every argument Trick made other than that was dumb as hell.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

that eldrazi thing looks really cheesy to me but i guess in 201o no wait it would have looked bad to me even then

i don't know what the other stuff is, all before my time probably

The most recent art for Wrath of God is very similar to the Planar Chaos art for Damnation. They had an animation where Wrath slowly faded into Damnation, and it blew peoples' minds.

There was a fake draft viewer around the time of Alara Reborn, which had crazy things like baseball cards and Unhinged cards but also showed the new reprinting of Terminate, among other things.

One of I think Maro's articles had a secret link to an image that just had Infect and its reminder text. It got people really speculating.

The Eldrazi animation was cheesy, but picture a time before Eldrazi existed and here was a giant monster that made your opponent sacrifice four things just when it attacked! Crazy poo poo.

I forgot that the new Lightning Bolt reprint was sent out to people in an oversized mailing. I thought it would have been cool if they posted the flavor text on the website and then revealed what card it was for and had people freak out that Lightning Bolt was coming back after so long.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

cheetah7071 posted:

Leaks are less exciting than official spoilers but every argument Trick made other than that was dumb as hell.

This is a legitimate point but their takeaway from that should be to make spoiler season longer, it seems like. Or just design good enough limited/Standard environments that people aren't quite as desperate for anything to get excited about, which I suspect is a noticeable factor in this case.

BJPaskoff posted:

One of I think Maro's articles had a secret link to an image that just had Infect and its reminder text. It got people really speculating.

This is the exact thing I was thinking of as far as how to do a pre-preview-season. I still don't think a teaser months out and then blueballs until the standard 2-3 spoiler weeks is a good balance to strike, but more of this would be a move in the right direction.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 17, 2015

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Kozilek coming back was fairly heavily foreshadowed on a bunch of cards, including ,as-previously-noted, Herald of Kozilek, but also Kozilek's channeler and Kozilek's sentinel.

The cards said "Kozilek's spawn are loving around underground and no one knows where Daddy K is". Meanwhile Emrakul's only named card said "On the other hand Emrakul's minions seem to be weaker in their master's absence".

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

This is a legitimate point but their takeaway from that should be to make spoiler season longer, it seems like. Or just design good enough limited/Standard environments that people aren't quite as desperate for anything to get excited about, which I suspect is a noticeable factor in this case.

This is the exact thing I was thinking of as far as how to do a pre-preview-season. I still don't think a teaser months out and then blueballs until the standard 2-3 spoiler weeks is a good balance to strike, but more of this would be a move in the right direction.

I'm not sure I should question that Hasbro/Wizards has market research saying how long a spoiler season should be in order to generate maximum hype and therefore money, but I'm going to anyway. When movies now release trailers for films over half a year in advance, maybe it's time to re-examine your audience's attention span. It's four months from BFZ to Oath.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

sarmhan posted:

Kozilek coming back was fairly heavily foreshadowed on a bunch of cards, including ,as-previously-noted, Herald of Kozilek, but also Kozilek's channeler and Kozilek's sentinel.

The cards said "Kozilek's spawn are loving around underground and no one knows where Daddy K is". Meanwhile Emrakul's only named card said "On the other hand Emrakul's minions seem to be weaker in their master's absence".

Im guessing Emrakul is for Zendikar 3 or it escaped and will attack some other plane.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Im guessing Emrakul is for Zendikar 3 or it escaped and will attack some other plane.

Emrakul would be the perfect Lovecraftian being to be the shadowy horror in Shadows Over Innistrad that corrupts the angels. I'm conflicted on how possible it is that they've done that though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the surge article actually went up before the leak.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

Emrakul would be the perfect Lovecraftian being to be the shadowy horror in Shadows Over Innistrad that corrupts the angels. I'm conflicted on how possible it is that they've done that though.

Emeria was the angel goddess, after all...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Maybe the white Mythic is Iona and it will explain why she's like 80 feet tall

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Posting to say I, too, got the red shift joke, haha

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

diamonds are new

Magic: The Gathering: Diamond Is Unspoilable

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

this is a pretty huge spoiler, though, i mean it's not like a bunch of random cards, it's the entire run of the incredibly hyped expeditions (and don't you think they'd have gotten serious mileage out of the Wasteland reveal?), the new mechanic, marquee mythic, plus a bunch of other mythics including both walkers.

The entire point of spoiler season is to "prime the pump" of hype just at the right time. People should care the most the week of the pre-release to get people into the store, buying sealed packs, and pre-ordering boxes that week based on hype. You have this release date, you want people to care the most that week. Their entire cycle is based on people buying stuff in that one month time frame of pre-release, release week, Game Day, and Pro Tour. They know that is when they sell the most packs and when suppliers move the most packs and singles. Spoiling all the Mythics, including Planeswalkers (usually the most cared about cards unless you're a super limited guy) and the Expeditions (a collection of must-have or must-see cards) made them shoot their wad one month early. By the time the pre-release comes people are gonna be tired talked about the cool cards they wanted/need for their deck and it lessens player demand for the product. They care about leaks because it ends up costing them money, either through wasted ad buys or less product being purchased on hype.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
It's pretty telling that people who run afoul of Wizards PR/marketing usually just get temporary DCI bans rather than anything more serious

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

dragon enthusiast posted:

It's pretty telling that people who run afoul of Wizards PR/marketing usually just get temporary DCI bans rather than anything more serious

Anything else is basically cost-ineffective, because you're paying a bunch of legal fees and generating a lot of bad PR to go after someone who makes $10/hour at a factory.

What will happen is that the printer will wind up having to pay out to WotC quietly after WotC makes a big deal about moving their printing somewhere else unless the printer is more secure in the future, and then it will be forgotten.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

There was a fake draft viewer around the time of Alara Reborn, which had crazy things like baseball cards and Unhinged cards but also showed the new reprinting of Terminate, among other things.

Okay so most of what you posted actually did sound kind of cool but this one seems like the most awesome thing

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Okay so most of what you posted actually did sound kind of cool but this one seems like the most awesome thing

it's still around too:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/magic/draftools/760KjI0g5M/draftviewer.html

my favorite cards are textless chains of mephistopheles and bro // ken fall

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ooooh okay, that makes more sense

at least it wasn't like Born of the Gods, where literally like none of the cards were played

actually i might be misremembering, i know there was another set where the pro tour was bad for the new set but it might not have been BOG

Brimaz, King of Kitties! :black101:

(And...uhhh, Courser of Kruphix?)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Zoness posted:

it's still around too:

This is also telling me that Pale Moon could be reprinted next set.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I defend mtgo all the time, but not being able to cube right loving now is inexcusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

it's still around too:

omg token black as a token card this is the best thing ever

• Locked thread