Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CelestialScribe posted:

He looks amazing already and filming starts next month.

After the years-long hype train finally pulls into the station, a brand new one starts boarding immediately afterwards? Hell loving yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Gonz posted:

After the years-long hype train finally pulls into the station, a brand new one starts boarding immediately afterwards? Hell loving yes.

In exactly one year we get Rogue One, the spin-off movie. And then I expect VIII to hit us exactly one year after that. Etc.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

CelestialScribe posted:

He looks amazing already and filming starts next month.

That grizzled Obi Wan look is awesome.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 17, 2015

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BigglesSWE posted:

In exactly one year we get Rogue One, the spin-off movie. And then I expect VIII to hit us exactly one year after that. Etc.

VIII is the summer of 2017.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

BigglesSWE posted:

Try six months. VIII is slated for May 2017.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

Oh, I knew about that, and i'm very excited for Rogue One. It's that I just didn't expect them to start filming VIII so quickly.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Hammerstein posted:

That grizzled Obi Wan looks is awesome.

Luke's got some serious Episode III Anakin hair goin' in that photo. Mark Hamill owns.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

CelestialScribe posted:

Huh. Did not know that.

I'd say it's early to tell right now though. They could very well reshuffle the release dates if it hits too close to some other major release.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

iSheep posted:

VIII is the summer of 2017.

Really? That soon? Oh christ, the production is going to be a mess. Its not like they pulled a Peter Jackson and filmed everything back2back2back in one giant production. They have a new director and everything! That's faster then the rate they are pumping Marvel movies out. If we can think of the Episodes like The Avengers movies then they should be every 3 years with all the side poo poo in between.

I guess the Harry Potter series did it to varying degrees of success. Three was with a new director and came out 1 1/2 years after 2. Four and Five both had new directors also and came out 1 1/2 year after the other.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 17, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Really? That soon? Oh christ, the production is going to be a mess. Its not like they pulled a Peter Jackson and filmed everything back2back2back in one giant production. They have a new director and everything! That's faster then the rate they are pumping Marvel movies out.

Even if. They could be making GBS threads out Star Wars movies from a cheap set in China and the fans would still lap them up. Ride this franchise into the ground and drain every cent from it. Disney could make billions before Star Wars is finally broken beyond repair and becomes box office poison.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jesus Christ but there is a lot of pessimism and teeth-gnashing in this thread

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm sure Rian Johnson and Colin Trevorrow will have every resource available to them to make sure production goes smoothly.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Anyone seen any MRA meltdowns yet? I'm thinking that the ending in which Rey is the upcoming Jedi and not Finn would blow some gaskets somewhere....

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Dunno what the gently caress you guys are worried about. Filming for force awakens started in what, April of 2014? That's 20 months. 18 months is fine considering the production process is now in swing.

Four-five months of filming with a year of post is plenty.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I recall reading somewhere that one of the Hobbit movies was basically finalised like a week before the premiere. I doubt Disney would ever risk such a close call.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MrMojok posted:

really? seems to it seems relatively positive/neutral to me.

BigglesSWE posted:

Anyone seen any MRA meltdowns yet? I'm thinking that the ending in which Rey is the upcoming Jedi and not Finn would blow some gaskets somewhere....

not yet. some /pol/ troll posting but thats about it so far.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

MrMojok posted:

Have you, by chance, been a fan of Star Wars anytime since the Special Editions released?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hamill has already filmed some of his Ep 8 scenes, because they weren't sure if they'd be able to come back to film at Mark Skellig, they filmed the stuff for ep 8 set there at the same time as they did the 90 second ending to TFA. Because once news got out some people were angry they filmed there, so I suppose it was wise to do it all at once incase a permit wouldn't be reissued.

Also principle photography on Rogue One wraps this weekend apparently. So ~360 days of post production to go.

BigglesSWE posted:

Huh. Did not know that.

I'd say it's early to tell right now though. They could very well reshuffle the release dates if it hits too close to some other major release.
It is in May for the 40th anniversary of A New Hope.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Filming in Skellig Michel is over, but they also scouted or shot area stuff at a nearby island a few weeks ago because of weather and some environmental stuff.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

MrMojok posted:

No, not really. It's the usual anti-hype when a popular franchise goes into it's next round.

Thing is that the spirit of the original trilogy is impossible to recapture or to live up to. And Lucas' prequels further damaged the goods with stupid poo poo like midichlorians. The financial success of the series stands without question of course, the real question is how brave the director and writers are. And Abrams took the safest route, by almost remaking the original movie, inclusive a ton of fan service and nostalgia.

I know the Abrams style, he makes good action movies and the movies will certainly be fun to watch. But it will be the same process with his Star Wars sequels as it was with the Star Trek reboot: Good movies, but uninspired, no real lows, a few highs, but never the cinema magic that we saw for example in Mos Eisley or in the Luke/Vader scene. Abrams will make the kind of movie that you enjoy watching 2-3 times, but that would never have sparked something like the Trekkie or Star Wars cult if he had been in charge in 77.

It's kinda funny, because in 2015 we also had the only movie, at least that I can remember, which ever managed to take an old and beloved franchise and bring it back to the big screen, but in a new, surprising and re-imagined way. while still staying true to the original vision. That movie was Mad Max.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 17, 2015

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hammerstein posted:

It's kinda funny, because in 2015 we also had the only movie, at least that I can remember, which ever managed to take an old and beloved franchise and bring it back to the big screen, but in a new, surprising and re-imagined way. while still staying true to the original vision. That movie was Mad Max.

Creed.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
So yeah, spoiler thread. I'll ask here.

Where were the Y-Wings? The rebels needed to bomb the thing (polarity reverser? generic scifi babble object) to blow up the D3athStar so they attack it with 10 X-Wings only? Why not bring along your dedicated bombing craft (or even some B-Wings) and ya know, get the job done in one go. First Order was also lacking bombers, but I suppose that is because it seems they don't have a fleet anymore, just the one star destroyer plus starkiller base guys.

Also, to start the attack Han hyperspaces close to the planet to bypass the shield (gee, should have done this for Endor too, I guess) so they can land and infiltrate the base. Why didn't the Xwings also just jump in that close to the base to avoid detection?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

drunkill posted:

So yeah, spoiler thread. I'll ask here.

Where were the Y-Wings? The rebels needed to bomb the thing (polarity reverser? generic scifi babble object) to blow up the D3athStar so they attack it with 10 X-Wings only? Why not bring along your dedicated bombing craft (or even some B-Wings) and ya know, get the job done in one go. First Order was also lacking bombers, but I suppose that is because it seems they don't have a fleet anymore, just the one star destroyer plus starkiller base guys.

Also, to start the attack Han hyperspaces close to the planet to bypass the shield (gee, should have done this for Endor too, I guess) so they can land and infiltrate the base. Why didn't the Xwings also just jump in that close to the base to avoid detection?

All the characteristics of the different fighters is old canon and pretty much in the garbage can, your nitpicking has been preempted entirely I'm so sorry :(

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Well, not really though, Y wings bombed stuff in ANH and ROTJ. The B-wing got a major upgrade in Rebels, but that could be explained as just the prototype and full production ones are the same as we saw in rotj. (clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98K3FIXogR4 )

I mean, it just seemed like throwing things in the garbage. I haven't read the new books but apparently one describes how the Republic got rid of their military, so that could explain some of it, but I mean, you'd still hang onto a y wing or three in the rebellion, you know the first order (and others?) are out there and that you'll need to fight them one day. The re-rehashing of a deathstar and the same thing to blow it up as the other two is weak and lazy but at least do your attack on it with a few different types of craft.

Edit: I've never read the xwing books and such, haven't read much (any?) EU and such, mainly the movies and knowledge of other stuff, so it isn't like I super like the y-wings, it just seems off to go off on a mission to bomb something without bombers, which you had 30 years ago and if you don't have any left probably should have had a replacement ship which could do a similar job.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CelestialScribe posted:

He looks amazing already

Seriously, I saw those recent photos of him (on the red carpet at the premiere I think?) and he looks absolutely incredible. Also he's aged really well into his face, I know he had the accident and all but it is still weird seeing the fresh-faced farm boy from New Hope become the kinda off-looking dude from Empire and RotJ. When he took the hood off at the end of Force Awakens, he looked like some wonderful cross between the Luke and Obi-Wan from New Hope.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

CelestialScribe posted:

Oh poo poo. Thats good since this is the first Star Wars movie that finished in a way that the next could kick off directly after it. I wonder if they will do that or come back after Rey has had a few years of training with Luke or something.

By the way, is no one talking about this because it is super obvious..? But Rey is Luke's daughter and stronger in the force than he.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

I want more of awesome grandpa Luke. He's also a good deal younger than Alec Guinness was in 77.

Although I hope that we won't get stupid poo poo again like the Yoda vs Darth Tyranus fight and instead just have Luke wrecking poo poo with the Force alone.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
People in the main Star Wars thread have started discussing plot points, ie they're posting spoilers. This thread doesn't really have a point anymore and should be closed.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kurzon posted:

People in the main Star Wars thread have started discussing plot points, ie they're posting spoilers. This thread doesn't really have a point anymore and should be closed.

Or the Mods could Fix Their poo poo???

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

So Han dies, for real? The thing I'm most curious about is how much the movie dwells on it. Seems like so much is going on in the movie that there's not much time for it, which would be pretty funny. "Oh, he's dead. Man."

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

So Han dies, for real? The thing I'm most curious about is how much the movie dwells on it. Seems like so much is going on in the movie that there's not much time for it, which would be pretty funny. "Oh, he's dead. Man."

Whole point of if was to be an emotional kicker to the audience, in the same that that Obi Wan died. And I guess it should cement that Kylo is now really Sith and no longer torn between light and dark.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

lol this movie has a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. We goons are so seasoned with moviedom that we pick things apart so well.

I'll be happy if it's as good as the Star Trek reboot.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I really, I really liked it, but they have some explaining to do in 8 and 9.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah I think Luke's journey is done. I don't think they can resist giving us the moneyshot of Mark Hamill lighting up the lightsaber, but it'll be purely for talking about Jedi/the force or maybe waxing nostalgic about holding his father's saber again. I don't think he'll use it in combat. There'll be a scene where it looks like we're going to see him draw his saber and kick rear end (Kylo catches up to him?) but instead he does something Forcey. Maybe mirroring the temptation at the end of ROTJ but instead of grabbing his lightsaber he flings Kylo's away.

I hope it's something like this.
Like, it may be fanservicey and dumb but I would hope for a callback to that scene in IV:
Luke and Ben are in Ben's home, Ben is explaining the Jedi and how Anakin was his father and about the Force while Luke activates Anakin's saber for the first time with a look like "oh wow".

I'd want something like Luke holding Anakin's saber in the present, explaining about Jedi and the Force much like Ben did for him, activating the saber, looking kind of sad, and then shutting it off and handing it back to whoever.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
lol if you guys think there isn't gonna be a scene where Luke uses a saber in a fight.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hammerstein posted:

I want more of awesome grandpa Luke. He's also a good deal younger than Alec Guinness was in 77.

:ssh: Mark Hamill is OLDER now than Alec Guinness was in 77.

Yeah I was surprised too.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

:ssh: Mark Hamill is OLDER now than Alec Guinness was in 77.

Yeah I was surprised too.

Holy poo poo you're right. I only took glance at the birth dates....

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Is Finn a force user?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

gohmak posted:

Is Finn a force user?

We don't really know.

But the established Saiyan power rankings are now Rey..............then nothing for a long time........then Kylo and Finn coming last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Hammerstein posted:

We don't really know.

But the established Saiyan power rankings are now Rey..............then nothing for a long time........then Kylo and Finn coming last.

So he is not shown doing any Jedi poo poo other than swing a lightsaber?

• Locked thread