Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

How much do fresh grads from UT or UBC make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
A new export market for us. CAD'll be booming again in no time: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/12051354/Chinese-buy-up-bottles-of-fresh-air-from-Canada.html

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Canadian company which started out bottling Rocky Mountains air as a joke has seen its product fly off the shelves in pollution-hit China, with first shipment selling out in four days

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im not sure if reading that makes me want to laugh or cry.

Oil appears to be having a bad morning. Alberta appears to be blaming Notley. Water appears to still be wet.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Cultural Imperial posted:

I hope you all get raped in the market today. gently caress all of you

Heh like we can even afford to invest

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
15 minutes to lift off
:gizz:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

15 minutes to lift off
:gizz:

Just go buy a Whopper anytime you want man, they sell them all day.

VVV JUST GIVE ME A HINT is it the US raising interest rates?

Oh Trudeau is giving the news how bad could it be? he handsome.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 16, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I hope you like being poor bro

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
We have liftoff

Get hosed all y'all assholes

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
R.I.P world economy

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Why don't people invest in the states instead of being sad?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
They are, that's why USD to cad is now 1.38

loving lol

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
The real big news is that the Fed has indicated they're planning to have 4 rate hikes in 2016.

That's much more aggressive than almost everyone was expecting - it would bring us to 1.375 percent.

What's the percent of principal these near interest only mortgages in B.C. are at? Like 2%? Bringing that to 3.3% is going to force some people out of their overpriced homes.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Myriarch posted:

The real big news is that the Fed has indicated they're planning to have 4 rate hikes in 2016.

That's much more aggressive than almost everyone was expecting - it would bring us to 1.375 percent.

What's the percent of principal these near interest only mortgages in B.C. are at? Like 2%? Bringing that to 3.3% is going to force some people out of their overpriced homes.

They might try to postpone eviction at renewal by switching over to a var rate assuming Canada continues to have bad growth numbers. It might be a case of having quite a wide gap between var and fixed mortgage rates. Now if we start pushing people to var rates, and Canada starts growing the foreclosures will be immediate instead of at renewal.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Oh nooo I might have to pay 60% of what renters do for the same thing instead of 50%.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 25, 2018

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

James Baud posted:

What are you going on about? It's way cheaper to rent than buy in Vancouver, etc, unless you crank the annual price appreciation dial way up on a rent vs buy calculator and also foolishly assume you won't move in roughly 3x as long as will actually prove true.
Cost of ownership = mortgage payment in exclusion

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Reverse Centaur posted:

Oh nooo I might have to pay 60% of what renters do for the same thing instead of 50%.

Filed under "has no idea what they're talking about." Renting has been cheaper than buying, at least in Toronto, for nearly a decade.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm paying $700 per month for a north shore condo (i.e. one of the most expensive parts of the most expensive city) that would rent for at least twice that. But yes I don't know what im talking about, clearly.

Edit: yes, maintenance, etc, brings it a little closer, but the point stands. Until your glorious market collapse happens, I didn't make a mistake by buying 10 years ago, and will probably still be better off after the crash.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 17, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Look you dumb fucks, I can put down enough down payment on a house in Vancouver that I would be paying less that I am currently paying in rent per month. You loving retards talk about housing costs vs renting like the principal amount owed doesn't factor into them. Shut the gently caress upppppppp

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just renewed my mortgage. My rate went down by 1 percent. Oh well. Sucks to be me.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

SpannerX posted:

Just renewed my mortgage. My rate went down by 1 percent. Oh well. Sucks to be me.

Talk about dodging a bullet by a hairs breadth.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Reverse Centaur posted:

I'm paying $700 per month for a north shore condo (i.e. one of the most expensive parts of the most expensive city) that would rent for at least twice that. But yes I don't know what im talking about, clearly.

Edit: yes, maintenance, etc, brings it a little closer, but the point stands. Until your glorious market collapse happens, I didn't make a mistake by buying 10 years ago, and will probably still be better off after the crash.

If, after reading this thread, you feel personally attacked about a condo you bought in 2005, you're really missing the point. The unprecedented credit expansion of 2008-9, in Canada, and the failure to unwind in any meaningful way over the following 7 years is the culprit.

If you're trying to argue that buying a condo in Toronto in the current market is less expensive than renting, I don't know what to say to you that hasn't already been said. You're wrong and the information is in front of you if you'd care to read it.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Unless you bought recently, doesn't the rate increase just force a few house poor people to liquidate for a loving enormous profit?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vehementi posted:

Unless you bought recently, doesn't the rate increase just force a few house poor people to liquidate for a loving enormous profit?

To whom?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Holy poo poo did the sa short bus just unload into this loving thread

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Failed to say in Vancouver, wherein the answer is "to all the people buying houses in Vancouver for hilarious amounts of money". Or do you also feel the rate increase will stop those sales? I'm just saying, if you bought 4 years ago your poo poo is worth 30%++ more now, so if you're forced to sell, big deal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you're forced to sell right now during the bubble it's probably for your own good (if you bought many years ago). Rates going up and forcing people to sell and then resort to humiliating renting for a few years while prices drop would probably be really good for them financially.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm fine with renting as long as it's not a basement or one of those horrid tenements from the 80s with the basement laundries, rat infestations, bed bugs and roaches.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
People that start to feel a pinch but sell immediately will do okay. It's the people that try to maintain the status quo for as long as possible, tapping ever single source of credit who will be hosed because when they are eventually forced out they will default on their mortgage or there wont be any buyers.

You have to know when to cut your losses and it turns out, most people don't. Which is why you end up with people keeping dead restaurants open way too long while bankrupting themselves and serving microwaved frozen food.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Toot toot all aboard.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

In keeping this with thread's Australian bent, here's an aussie site reporting on Canada's bubble:

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2015/12/canada-takes-action-against-liar-loans/

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Who, me? Maybe, but I'm not in some McMansion, 10 minutes to work by car (can't take a bus, too far to walk) and I'm better than half paid off on this thing with my mortgage being my only loan outstanding. Still making investments, and have a pension at the end of this permanent job. To rent what equals this house around here now I'd be paying more than the mortgage. Still have to live somewhere, and the wife likes the place. Though she could change her mind. That's what I have to avoid, her wanting to move into something more expensive further out of town.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Look you dumb fucks, I can put down enough down payment on a house in Vancouver that I would be paying less that I am currently paying in rent per month. You loving retards talk about housing costs vs renting like the principal amount owed doesn't factor into them. Shut the gently caress upppppppp

Lol this is his first post in the thread

Reverse Centaur posted:

My 1970s North Vancouver condo had a $10,000 per unit special assessment for new pipes (leaks all over every few months) and now everyone's trying to sell and no one can. It's a trendy area close to the ocean and downtown but new 500 sq foot condos go for $300,000 and anyone who bought in the last five years spent more than that. I paid $230k in 2005 and would be lucky to get my money back right now. Luckily I can afford to stay put, but I seem to be in the minority.

~pride of ownership~

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

blah_blah posted:

~pride of ownership~

That was 1.5 years ago. Now units sell for much more without any effort. But yeah I was freaking out a bit back then.

I'm not saying ownership is guaranteed better, but so far for me it has been despite almost everything going wrong since 2005. And I know it could still get worse.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Cad to USD is at an 11 year low

Lol get fuckedddddddd

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
More like USD to CAD is at an 11 year high, party time (for software companies that bill non-canadians in USD).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ikantski posted:

More like USD to CAD is at an 11 year high, party time (for software companies that bill non-canadians in USD).

No kidding. I can sell my US house for what I paid for it when the dollars were at parity and make $50,000+ in CAD when I come home.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

gently caress yoooooooooou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Reverse Centaur posted:

What are your condo fees?