Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I need to buy a bigger desk after I move in January so I have room for my HOTAS again. The 360 controls I'm using work pretty well but it's definitely not as good as having a proper throttle and stick.

I'd like some rudder pedals, too, and for one of the VR headsets to finally come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Failed a timed pirating mission ("kill this person and take their poo poo") because the person never loving spawned.

An auspicious start of this expansion for me.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I've concluded that the game is fun to me in the same way that Microsoft Flight Simulator X is to my dad. My old man is probably sitting in front of his computer right now with his dog on his lap; a Western on the TV; and a mug of hot cocoa flying a 747 from Detroit to Seattle in real time.

Your dad sounds cool. (sincere post)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I found a crashed navigation beacon?

Too bad I can't seem to get the datalink reader to work.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Oh looks like I don't even have the loving expansion installed because it won't let me land on planets

I have the key entered in Steam so I don't know what the hell

e: oh right, that launcher bullshit

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are you still using the Elite Dangerous client? By putting the key into Steam you should now have an Elite Dangerous Horizons 64-bit client.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I have no real idea about the whats or hows of driving the buggy around. Like what do I do, why would I want to do it? Is there a general guide anywhere? I am so lost.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Just did some testing to see how viable it is (after Horizons boot-up times) to toggle power between the KWS and your (secondary, heavier) guns. Interestingly, weapons do not have boot-up times at all. If you manually turn them off, they retract, but if you set them to a lower power priority and they are denied power as a result, they'll remain deployed but will not otherwise function when you press fire. So, when building your ships, leave the FSD at priority 1 but set your weaponry and KWS up such that you can press 4-space-space-4 to quickly turn the KWS on or off- I have my medium energy weapons and KWS as priority 3, with my heavier ammo-based weapons at priority 4.

The only delay with this method is the time it takes the KWS to deploy when you want to scan- the weapons on priority 4 can start firing the moment you toggle it off, even before it finishes retracting. You can use the power saved doing this to keep the FSD and other things active, or to just fit more power-hungry modules. The other benefit of this method is that you can assign your KWS and heavier guns to the same fire button, instead of maybe needing an extra grouping entirely; My first firegroup is guns/KWS/FSDI, and the second group is drones/honker.

Sard fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 17, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gonkish posted:

I have no real idea about the whats or hows of driving the buggy around. Like what do I do, why would I want to do it? Is there a general guide anywhere? I am so lost.

There are missions involving using it (to e.g. scan pylons or destroy generators), and it can gather materials for synthesis, which can give you temporary buffs to things like ship fuel efficiency

Someone posted a set of four videos a couple pages ago, look for those

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Gonkish posted:

Here you both go:

These explain basically everything about planetary landing, SRV operation, and the datalink scanner.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Well I'm assuming the Imp Fighter is cool but I guess no one will find out because no one is playing CQC -- which is a shame.

It's okay I guess. Like the Condor better.

Also forever lol at getting matched with max rank guys at low levels :thumbsup:

Edit: although paying attention to them teaches you tricks -- like no one will follow you into the buildings around the arena.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 17, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Shine posted:

Here you both go:

These explain basically everything about planetary landing, SRV operation, and the datalink scanner.

Don't forget the "must have auto deploy weapons" checked in the options for the srv data scanner to deploy (unless they have fixed this already)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

So earlier today some folks on reddit "leaked" a lucrative trade route originating on Achenar 3 here's the results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDebwFrQdeU

1.) that base doesn't have a commodities market 2.) Achenar 3 is something like a 6G planet

Amazing.

Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3x3zyf/25k_crthr_horizons_trade_route_from_eic/

And

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3x59vx/thanks_for_joining_us_on_achenar_guys_3/

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 17, 2015

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

So earlier today some folks on reddit "leaked" a lucrative trade route originating on Achenar 3 here's the results:

1.) that base doesn't have a commodities market 2.) Achenar 3 is something like a 6G planet

Amazing.

:drat:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Oh man the FA on the SRV is total loving trash, what's up with that

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Shine posted:

Here you both go:

Was doing that actually, but apparently because I have my set hardpoints to NOT deploy when I pull the trigger, the datalink scanner wasn't deploying, and there isn't a button to deploy it without that setting being on.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Amazing.

Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3x3zyf/25k_crthr_horizons_trade_route_from_eic/

And

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3x59vx/thanks_for_joining_us_on_achenar_guys_3/

This is the greatest

e: anyone noticing A SHITLOAD more interdictions if you have illicit cargo, after the patch? I'm at #10 just putzing around 63 G because I have a whopping 5 artifacts

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 17, 2015

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
They really need to boost mission rewards. It's just freaking ridiculous for the time investment. I mean, I'm not against gaming the system to earn money as quickly as possible, but once I'm in something I enjoy and doing something I enjoy, I like to have a reason for doing it and missions give that. But no matter how pointless it is to run the mission because I don't need the money/rep/whatever (I'm not at that point anyways) it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth to do all that work for a pathetic reward in general.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The bad news is that I'm not sure if these silly hauling missions for Federation factions are doing anything for my rank.

The good news is that I'm finding some interesting planets like this one which reminds me of a roasted marshmallow (cool planets are going into a .txt file on my desktop):

And I'm doing them in style with my murder yacht (which I think I'm going to go swap back to my Python for my next session since I can't remember the last time I've even seen a kill mission on the bulletin boards):

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

nessin posted:

They really need to boost mission rewards. It's just freaking ridiculous for the time investment. I mean, I'm not against gaming the system to earn money as quickly as possible, but once I'm in something I enjoy and doing something I enjoy, I like to have a reason for doing it and missions give that. But no matter how pointless it is to run the mission because I don't need the money/rep/whatever (I'm not at that point anyways) it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth to do all that work for a pathetic reward in general.

yeah pretty much every mission that isn't already being cheesed needs a payout increase from 5-10x

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Shine posted:

Here you both go:

You, sir, are a hero. Thanks! Helped me out a lot.

Meanwhile, is it just me having a lovely framerate when I'm on/near the surface, or is that a thing that is happening to a lot of you?

EDIT:

nessin posted:

This is true as gently caress. I know that they're putting more work into missions, but if X mission is still just "spend 30 mins. doing something to make 20,000 credits!" then it's stupid to even bother with it. I did see one "kill 76 pirates" mission for 3.3 million though (I took it, and murdered many pirates).

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 17, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Looks like salvage and turn in missions are still broken heh

Combined with the "kill this spawn and take their poo poo" that never actually spawned it was a few frustrating hours of game play

An Interdict and Kill mission worked fine, though

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I found a crashed navigation beacon?

I had to rebind a control specifically for the datalink.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I found him, guys!

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

IAmTheRad posted:

I found him, guys!

Are you sure it's really him? It does say 'competent'

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

DAYS SINCE LAST LOWTAX IN GAME MENTION: 0

:v:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Someone tell me about the jump boosting thing, all the details you can, so I can plan to break records again. TIA.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Once I redeem and install my Elite Dangerous Horizons key can I safely delete the old vanilla install? Thats a little bit weird/confusing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A Tartan Tory posted:

Someone tell me about the jump boosting thing, all the details you can, so I can plan to break records again. TIA.
Basically using the SRV you can mine materials for one of three different one-use jump range boosters, +25%, +50%, and +100% range. The materials seem rather rare. I've done two nights of light moon rovering and here is my collection so far. I've got decent amounts of some other materials but barely any of this stuff.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Reason posted:

Once I redeem and install my Elite Dangerous Horizons key can I safely delete the old vanilla install? Thats a little bit weird/confusing.

Yes. I am using only the horizons install and it's fine. Retweak your color setting and make sure you bind srv controls and you're good to go.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Gonkish posted:

Meanwhile, is it just me having a lovely framerate when I'm on/near the surface, or is that a thing that is happening to a lot of you?
Are you using Supersampling by any chance? Most people having bad FPS drops when switching to orbital cruise seem to have had it set to 1.5x or 2.0x.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Mercurius posted:

Are you using Supersampling by any chance? Most people having bad FPS drops when switching to orbital cruise seem to have had it set to 1.5x or 2.0x.

Nope. It's at 1.0x, haven't touched it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Failed a timed pirating mission ("kill this person and take their poo poo") because the person never loving spawned.

An auspicious start of this expansion for me.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that mission-critical NPCs simply don't spawn. Don't take these missions until it's patched!

Mission-annoying NPCs are, sadly, fully functional.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Some really great images from /r/elitedangerous:

And a couple more from the first player at http://imgur.com/a/q93k4

Sard fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 17, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Oh man the FA on the SRV is total loving trash, what's up with that

It's simply cruise control mode for people who are using a slide throttle instead of pedals/triggers.

If you are spinning out and crashing all over the place, then try driving slower.

Gonkish posted:

The planet surfaces are far more graphically demanding than outer space. I had to bump down the terrain quality (bottom of the graphics options) and then it ran fine.

Amazing.

Source:

And

:laffo:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
So with shadow smuggling, does this mean I have to do stuff like go into silent running when interdicted to somehow throw off a scan? Or it's time to figure out a new Robigo Run ship that somehow takes up to around 200T in cargo space and can outrun things....so an Orca?

BogDew fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 17, 2015

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

WebDog posted:

So with shadow smuggling, does this mean I have to do stuff like go into silent running when interdicted to somehow throw off a scan? Or it's time to figure out a new Robigo Run ship that somehow takes up to around 200T in cargo space and can outrun things....so an Orca?

I'm all for the Orca, but unfortunately its big rear end wont fit landing on outposts (unless they put a surface settlement in Robigo).

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Oh yeah forgot the Orca can't fit into outposts. I guess it's handy for doing the trade triangle if anything.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dabir posted:

Anecdotal evidence suggests that mission-critical NPCs simply don't spawn. Don't take these missions until it's patched!

Mission-annoying NPCs are, sadly, fully functional.

I was wondering about that. I took one of those "staying power" missions last night, dicked around for like an hour hunting pirates in the target system, then eventually abandoned the quest so I could go to bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
My experience with Horizons so far:

Outfitting a Viper IV for some exploration trips. (I just like the look of the ship.)

Flying over a random crater on my way to Maia.

Mountains! This of course means one thing...

Time to land!

Floating stones!

It's a magic planet! (Don't worry, I already filed a bug report.)

I really hope they either take that stupid beta-watermark out soon or I at least won't forget to edit it out.

My landed Viper, waiting for me on planet Magic.

And right after I came back from Maia, I had to sell my FAS because I needed the money to make my Python exploration-ready. Too bad, but I really don't like fighting enough to justify this things existence, my Federal Assault Ship was basically just a status symbol waiting around in my hangar.

So far Horizons has some rough edges, but landing on planets is surprisingly fun. Now if I just could find SRV-fuel or Jump-Boosterjuice. But nope, none of the five planets I landed on so far had that stuff. In about five hours of play-time, I found enough materials for a small AMF-refill. Of course my Viper IV didn't have one, so this was totally wasted. :shepface:

This experience taught me to have at least one SRV in reserve, so I put a medium hangar on my Python. Now I'm planning to explore the bubble, searching for some gems or weird places. :v:

• Locked thread