Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

can you score with the non-bladed area of the naganita? If you get a solid stomach shot with the staff end for example?

Yes and no. You can score on the shins with both ends. Don't think you can on the other target areas. (Which is top of the head, wrists, side of torso and thrust to the throat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Han Feizi
Jul 20, 2014

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yes and no. You can score on the shins with both ends. Don't think you can on the other target areas. (Which is top of the head, wrists, side of torso and thrust to the throat).

I was told that you could until recently, now all strikes with the butt end are disallowed. I'll have to check up on that though.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think the double ply (thor) would be too much for BJJ.

I have some Hercules and Thor stuff for powerlifting and the Thors are much stiffer, I think they would definitely restrict you movements whilst grappling.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Han Feizi posted:

The stance is also totally different from kendo the length of the weapon necessitates a side on stance, which allows for quick switching of dominant sides.

Why would standing side one allow you to switch stances faster? Are the stance switches executed in the middle of a technique?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I'm guessing it's because you have to move around the polearm

Han Feizi
Jul 20, 2014

Rabhadh posted:

I'm guessing it's because you have to move around the polearm

Exactly. It can be tricking trying to maneuver around a 6 foot weapon. It's also necessary to brace the weapon against the body, or else your opponent can exploit leverage and knock it clear to the side for a strike. Chudan, middle guard, has the back hand braced against the back leg with the weapon pointed at the opponents bellybutton. From here you can strike anywhere, head, wrist, shin, torso. It's extremely flexible.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Why would standing side one allow you to switch stances faster? Are the stance switches executed in the middle of a technique?

My own experience with long pole arms is limited to Katori shinto ryu and I haven't gotten to the naginata yet, but the mechanics of striking are completely different from kendo, simply due to the length. It would be near impossible to generate any kind of speed & power using a front facing stance like you do in kendo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It would be near impossible to generate any kind of speed & power using a front facing stance like you do in kendo.
Yeah, that makes total sense, and agrees with this part of the statement:
"the length of the weapon necessitates a side on stance"

But still not this part:
"which allows for quick switching of dominant sides."

Even if a side-on stance is necessary for generating power, does it actually enable faster switching?
Maybe I don't know what dominant sides means. Is it which foot stands forward? Which hand is forward? Or something to do with how the weapon is held?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eto-8UT5ZAQ

Here's a video of Demian Maia and Marcelo garcia rolling. An interesting part of the roll happens at 2:44. Demian gets Marcelo in a triangle from guard and marelo sits up and places his legs between him and his adversary. In effect it raises Demian's hips and seems to make the triangle much less effective as Demian has to pull him back down to squeeze and get the finish. Am I reading too much into this and should that be something I could try doing? I've got a hard time breaking the triangle besides making sure my arm doesn't get dragged across my partner's chest. Better sparring partners generally finish it if they know variations that don't require the arm across.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Odddzy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eto-8UT5ZAQ

Here's a video of Demian Maia and Marcelo garcia rolling. An interesting part of the roll happens at 2:44. Demian gets Marcelo in a triangle from guard and marelo sits up and places his legs between him and his adversary. In effect it raises Demian's hips and seems to make the triangle much less effective as Demian has to pull him back down to squeeze and get the finish. Am I reading too much into this and should that be something I could try doing? I've got a hard time breaking the triangle besides making sure my arm doesn't get dragged across my partner's chest. Better sparring partners generally finish it if they know variations that don't require the arm across.

If youre new-ish and having trouble with the triangle I wouldnt look too far into that, its sort of a positional awareness thing, there are some other more basic escapes to a triangle that you should try to master and then it might become apparent when it makes sense to sit back like that

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

manyak posted:

If youre new-ish and having trouble with the triangle I wouldnt look too far into that, its sort of a positional awareness thing, there are some other more basic escapes to a triangle that you should try to master and then it might become apparent when it makes sense to sit back like that

I'm new-ish I guess, I've been doing BJJ for a year and a half (barring some injuries but nothing that got me away for more than a month at a time). I'm generally good at avoiding the triangle at this point against other people that don't know tight setups but I screw up every once and again every week. I know the common answer to how to defend the triangle is ''look up'' but I find that it requires a huge amount of back strength that I simply don't have so i'm stuck tucking my inside arm in the partners back and stalling and it doesn't feel like proper defence.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

When in doubt, do whatever is in Jiu-jitsu University. The triangle escape he teaches is the one where you slide a knee up over their hips (on the side of the leg that locks you up, not the side of the leg that chokes you) then rotate your upper body to pop the triangle open.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

When in doubt, do whatever is in Jiu-jitsu University. The triangle escape he teaches is the one where you slide a knee up over their hips (on the side of the leg that locks you up, not the side of the leg that chokes you) then rotate your upper body to pop the triangle open.

Makes sense, I'll try it out tomorrow. Good advice man.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
I think Marcelo would consider that defense a little too 'last second' for his conservative approach these days. I almost never see him get caught in triangles from guard, because he's very careful to A: never reach too far out with one arm from inside guard, B: control the ankle so they can't bring their second leg up to lock in the triangle, and C: twist away into an omoplata escape if things get dicey.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I understand what you're saying but defending triangles seems to me like a pretty important skill considering it's something a beginner like me is gonna get stuck in for a while. Marcelo probably has a good plan and game that limits the opportunities an adversary gets to place a triangle on him in true sparring but I'm nowhere near that level yet (or ever even).

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
So sad most of the strikers are gone.

Now talk of defending the jab no more, really, sob.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ligur posted:

So sad most of the strikers are gone.

Now talk of defending the jab no more, really, sob.

It's been like that for a while. And to be honest, I find physicality to be a bigger factor in striking, making it hard to discuss things in general, instead of being able to see someone moving around in the ring and gauging what might and might not work for them.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I used to love striking (even though I was fairly poo poo) but then I got a job that required my face not be bruised or I don't work, and I'm not good enough to guarantee that won't happen, so it's BJJ for me (I know I could get a black eye still but I can limit the chances much better). It's a shame. I wonder how many other people are in the same boat?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

de la peche posted:

I used to love striking (even though I was fairly poo poo) but then I got a job that required my face not be bruised or I don't work, and I'm not good enough to guarantee that won't happen, so it's BJJ for me (I know I could get a black eye still but I can limit the chances much better). It's a shame. I wonder how many other people are in the same boat?

e. add concussions to the list.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

de la peche posted:

I spar semi-regularly with Mma rules and I rarely catch a mark. I just make it clear verbally and demonstrably to my partners that I'm not trying to get into a fight at the gym and they generally are cool enough to refrain from splitting my cheeks.

Of course, some guys are never going to sign a fight and go to the gym to feel like men. This type of person will answer a knee to the thigh with a superman elbow to the bridge of your nose.

I just avoid them. When someone is coming at me with bad intentions I just move and counter and clinch for the rest of the round. After that I won't spar with them anymore. I'll even tell the coAch I'm sitting one out because so and so was mean to me. I don't mind looking like a wuss.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It seems much harder to find striking gyms that offer training between professional athletes and boxercizers than when you look for grappling at the same level.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Xguard86 posted:

It seems much harder to find striking gyms that offer training between professional athletes and boxercizers than when you look for grappling at the same level.

I don't think that's necessarily true, pretty much any legit boxing or muay thai gym will train you seriously even if you don't have pro aspirations. Although there definitely is a lot more bullshit striking out there than bullshit grappling.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I don't think that's necessarily true, pretty much any legit boxing or muay thai gym will train you seriously even if you don't have pro aspirations. Although there definitely is a lot more bullshit striking out there than bullshit grappling.

Actually there are a ton of legit boxing gyms that will basically ignore you if they don't think you're gonna be a fighter. Making you "earn your coaching" is an unfortunate aspect of boxing culture that's less prevalent these days but still very present.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fatherdog posted:

Actually there are a ton of legit boxing gyms that will basically ignore you if they don't think you're gonna be a fighter. Making you "earn your coaching" is an unfortunate aspect of boxing culture that's less prevalent these days but still very present.

This. I had to push pretty hard at the gym I tried out boxing. It felt pretty cool once they did accept me as "the white guy that sucks but isn't a total pussy". Still, its frustrating when you have to pilot your own training and push the coaches to work with you when you've already got a life of responsibilities and just want a hobby. This gym had professionals and at least one olympian though, so they were really not loving around. I think 6 months there set me up with decent fundamentals for life.

Then when I tried MT/kickboxing at another gym it was the opposite problem. Classes were really well organized and coordinated but half the people would flinch holding pads or just drop their hands completely to their waist in a drill. I found some of their attitudes so frustrating, it was hard not to throw a body jab or light kick just to remind them this is real poo poo and you need to pay attention. The instructors and core serious guys were great though, just got swamped by the tourists.

I guess what I want is some kind of Judo-fication of striking where you go live enough for it to work and its structured and organized. Maybe thats Kykokushin?

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 16, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

I guess what I want is some kind of Judo-fication of striking where you go live enough for it to work and its structured and organized. Maybe thats Kykokushin?

I've found two gyms that meet that description now - one for boxing and one for MT. The MT one works because they share space with a boxercize group, and so people kinda migrate between the two crowds based on their interest. The boxing one was interesting because there was a big crowd for "Technical Boxing," which was variously a boxercize workout or a pretty good lower-level fight training class, based on who you partnered with. Then in the background there were other people working with coaches, and the teachers were competitors, so actual non-bullshit boxing was perpetually visible. The overall environment was happy to give more if you were working for it, but not in a "prove yourself, pussy!" kind of way.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So I guess if you had to classify training levels you'd have pro, amateur, hobbiest and striking doesn't have a dearth of hobbiest level?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Maybe it's more like a venn diagram in which the overlap set between recreational and competitive has very few examples

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

fatherdog posted:

Hm, that's a shame. I guess I've been lucky to have never run into that.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Id say most places are like that. So many join and leave after a few weeks its not worth getting invested in them until theyve proven themselves somewhat.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I need some help with boxing gloves mostly for padwork. I bought these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XZ60222/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1QLHZ6CNJDB8&coliid=ITNU0BL2VC1XG&psc=1 in large and my hands would begin to sting almost immediately after a few combinations. My coach looked at them and thought they were kids gloves so I need something a little bigger.

I'm 6'3 and 189 pound if that helps.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nierbo posted:

Id say most places are like that. So many join and leave after a few weeks its not worth getting invested in them until theyve proven themselves somewhat.

Feels like that would create a vicious cycle.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 17, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm starting back up in judo after a few years of being away, get hype

For fun, I signed up for the taekwondo club at my university, and it's WTF certified. Are any of you familiar taekwondo and the WTF style? What is a normal class like?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

I need some help with boxing gloves mostly for padwork. I bought these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XZ60222/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1QLHZ6CNJDB8&coliid=ITNU0BL2VC1XG&psc=1 in large and my hands would begin to sting almost immediately after a few combinations. My coach looked at them and thought they were kids gloves so I need something a little bigger.

I'm 6'3 and 189 pound if that helps.

Sting on the knuckles? How was your wrapping? I'm not a fan of the gel stuff, but I wouldn't think it'd be so hard and "watery" that it can sting.

For someone >160lbs, you'll prob want 16oz gloves for training. You started training in late Oct, right? It's possible that you're getting to the point where you can punch harder than your skin is used to.

Though punching on mitts, I'm kinda surprised that it's stinging right away.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
You barely need gloves at all for padwork, 12 oz gloves and wraps is overkill for hitting pads imo. Either work on your form, your wrapping technique, or get used to it i guess

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The coach not figuring out the problem right away is what concerns me the most. There can't be that many causes here.
If you take your wraps off, are your knuckles red? Are they slightly scuffed from loose wraps?

I don't think the difference between a 16oz bigger glove and that 12oz glove you have there is gonna make a fundamental difference.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

The coach not figuring out the problem right away is what concerns me the most. There can't be that many causes here.
If you take your wraps off, are your knuckles red? Are they slightly scuffed from loose wraps?

I don't think the difference between a 16oz bigger glove and that 12oz glove you have there is gonna make a fundamental difference.

My knuckles are still slightly red(except for the pinky which is pretty red). I'm pretty sure it's just the gloves are too small since I have trouble getting my right glove on.

e: In retrospect I should have phrased my original post better. I'm looking for recommendations on a pair to replace them with.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Do you have super large hands? What's your regular clothing glove size?

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm starting back up in judo after a few years of being away, get hype

For fun, I signed up for the taekwondo club at my university, and it's WTF certified. Are any of you familiar taekwondo and the WTF style? What is a normal class like?

The WTF is the organization that deals with the IOC, so if you're familiar with TKD in the Olympics then the club should be geared toward that style of sparring. Basically lots and lots of kicking and conditioning. WTF sparring is essentially foot tag where you get more points for spinning/jumping/head kicking, it's kind of dumb but tbh it's fun as hell when you're good at it.

The club might also do competition patterns training but I doubt it. WTF patterns boring as hell so be warned that you may hate it if they do that there.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Boxing coaches sometimes don't give you any time if they don't think you'll fight is a real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KildarX posted:

Feels like that would create a vicious cycle.

Well yeah it does, but it gives you faith in the ones that stay want it the most and will pay attention and listen. I've experienced the same thing at Judo. Took probably 6 months before half of them took me seriously and said more than a few words to me.Not that they weren't polite or wouldn't randori but I wasn't enough of a challenge I guess. But it was the highest level judo club in aus so I knew it would go that way. By the time I got my green I was best mates with everyone.

• Locked thread