Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I heard about the TV and jukebox thing but I didn't realize that even the ones you DIDN'T build were a part of that glitch. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, it's been my experience that its ONLY the pre-build ones causing the issue as well. I have a jukebox playing nice classical music right next to my crafting stations and it hasn't caused a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

mackintosh posted:

Institute armor looks like it's made from PVC tubing and washroom accessories. It's bad. Heavy combat armor isn't all that good either. Makes you look like a plus sized model wrapped in a furnace.

Thick poo poo it may be, but at at least it looks like it could stop a bullet. But really the first DLC that hits should just bring more armor variants, power armor or otherwise.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm still amazed no one has done a Brotherhood Outcasts paint for the T-45 yet. For some reason I remember that being popular in FO3 (to the point that they reskinned all the other power armor to have that color scheme), yet nothing here.

Also, if they do add more power armor types I totally want Ashur's brahmin skull pauldron, god dammit.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

re: synth armor i can't help but think that it looks incredibly stupid on purpose- who wouldn't notice stuff like the solo neckbrace looking that dumb?
like it's actually done to make the institute's troops look pathetic as possible as to defuse their rep built up in the game as some powerful organization that's super advanced
like it was supposed to play into the twist in the last third of the game or something except you start getting it way earlier than that

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, it's been my experience that its ONLY the pre-build ones causing the issue as well. I have a jukebox playing nice classical music right next to my crafting stations and it hasn't caused a problem.

I've found that I have less instances of this miscounting-resources bug if I walk a little out of Sanctuary before using fast-travel. Just out of the buildable area, maybe across the little bridge halfway to the Red Rocket station.

I think the game gets confused somehow with fast-travel sometimes. Maybe something with fast-travel and the pre-built TVs and stuff? I have no idea, it's weird and finicky. Walking on foot out of Sanctuary has seemed to help for me, anyway, and I still have my TVs and stuff.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I'm inching towards 50, is there anything better than (shadowed, ultra-light) combat armor for stealth? (Plus the ballistic weave fatigues + GRRM hat, of course). It feels like I've been wearing it for 40 levels now.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

HJE-Cobra posted:

I've found that I have less instances of this miscounting-resources bug if I walk a little out of Sanctuary before using fast-travel. Just out of the buildable area, maybe across the little bridge halfway to the Red Rocket station.

I think the game gets confused somehow with fast-travel sometimes. Maybe something with fast-travel and the pre-built TVs and stuff? I have no idea, it's weird and finicky. Walking on foot out of Sanctuary has seemed to help for me, anyway, and I still have my TVs and stuff.

Yeah? Well, I guess I'll try that too. It's funny how in this day and age it's almost like we're walked back in time as far as gaming myths and rumors. Hold "up + B" for a better capture rate on pokemon. Walk out of Sanctuary before quick traveling so the game don't mess up your resources.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
So I finished the game and there's one nagging question I haven't found the answer to.

Why do Super Mutant suiciders exist? Is it explained anywhere? I'd kind of understand a Child of Atom doing it to spread the glory of Atom, but why are the mutants doing it? They clearly perish in the explosion and if I recall correctly they can't reproduce. Seems like a really weird weapon of choice.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Omi no Kami posted:

So I'm inching towards 50, is there anything better than (shadowed, ultra-light) combat armor for stealth? (Plus the ballistic weave fatigues + GRRM hat, of course). It feels like I've been wearing it for 40 levels now.

I'm like 68 and have been wearing the same combat armor for about 50 levels now, so we're on par here.

My bos officer uniform and hat are ballistic weave 5 tho so it really doesn't matter at all, even on survival I can facetank most guns now (tho deathclaws still gently caress me up if I fail to notice them)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lamquin posted:

Why do Super Mutant suiciders exist? Is it explained anywhere? I'd kind of understand a Child of Atom doing it to spread the glory of Atom, but why are the mutants doing it? They clearly perish in the explosion and if I recall correctly they can't reproduce. Seems like a really weird weapon of choice.
their inclusion is probably influenced by this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c71fJV8gyjM

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there any reason to not silence every gun capable of having one?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

BambooEarpick posted:

3. I never use companions because they always manage to blow my sneak and block off my exit. At least I can fix this one by just never taking anyone with me. I feel like I miss out on dialogue this way but hot having people go randomly charging into groups of enemies as I try to slink away to attack again is nice. But seriously, it's like Bethesda programmed the AI to be in your way as much as possible. Hey, you aiming at a Raider? Lemme pop up into your scope to look at you. *BANG* "Oh, I think we're not alone!"

Shoot you in the back once, shame on me. Shoot you in the back seven times, either I'm a Chicago police officer or you you just walked into my goddamn line of fire again, Piper.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Fereydun posted:

re: synth armor i can't help but think that it looks incredibly stupid on purpose- who wouldn't notice stuff like the solo neckbrace looking that dumb?
like it's actually done to make the institute's troops look pathetic as possible as to defuse their rep built up in the game as some powerful organization that's super advanced
like it was supposed to play into the twist in the last third of the game or something except you start getting it way earlier than that

I think the idea was that it was supposed to be that just like the Fallout world is what people in the 50s imagined the future would be, the "more advanced" institute is based off 60s and 70s scifi. The PVC aspect might be intentional since a lot of modern plastic technologies really expanded during that time and got used to represent "the future!".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Azhais posted:

I'm like 68 and have been wearing the same combat armor for about 50 levels now, so we're on par here.

My bos officer uniform and hat are ballistic weave 5 tho so it really doesn't matter at all, even on survival I can facetank most guns now (tho deathclaws still gently caress me up if I fail to notice them)

Super mutants aren't very smart.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

Is there any reason to not silence every gun capable of having one?

If you enjoy punching people that run up to you quickly with your weapon, it's not as good as a bayonet. Otherwise, no.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Oh God my kid wants to join BOS and wants a kid sized power armor. It's all good kiddo, just give me a few days to get rid of the top brass and we'll bring peace and stability to our new Empire.

Also, I'm seeing quite a few post-nuclear synth squads roving near the East Boston Police Station, they assaulted two of my provisioners and killed one of them - which was a surprise, I thought they were essential.

mackintosh fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 17, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Can we all agree that this rocket launcher is very very silly?

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
To the dude asking about nice looking dark outfits to wear underneath shadowed combat armor:

There are Brotherhood of Steel uniforms that are dark-colored and Paladin Brandis or Bandis has a pure black one.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

mackintosh posted:

Also, I'm seeing quite a few post-nuclear synth squads roving near the East Boston Police Station, they assaulted two of my provisioners and killed one of them - which was a surprise, I thought they were essential.

It might have been you that killed them. I stumbled into a crazy battle between a behemoth, ~20 feral ghouls, and a raider with a fat man outside the Super Duper Mart. I join in and start hacking wildly when out of nowhere a provisioner just calmly strolls through in front of my blade. The provisioner ended up being a synth though so it was OK.

Are the synth settler/provisioners essential? Your provisioner might have been a filthy synth!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

captainOrbital posted:

Shoot you in the back once, shame on me. Shoot you in the back seven times, either I'm a Chicago police officer or you you just walked into my goddamn line of fire again, Piper.

So that's pretty funny.

I main Curie, and I solved most of my Piper-esque problems by doing the quest that gets her a synth body. As a result she's bugged out, and will not draw her freakin' laser rifle under any circumstances. It fixes my line of sight issues, since she's always in the thick of things laying into behemoths with her bare hands, but more than once it's also led to my seeing a vague raider silhouette in the distance, pinging it with my murderous rifle of killing everything in one shot, and realizing it was her.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Omi no Kami posted:

So that's pretty funny.

I main Curie, and I solved most of my Piper-esque problems by doing the quest that gets her a synth body. As a result she's bugged out, and will not draw her freakin' laser rifle under any circumstances. It fixes my line of sight issues, since she's always in the thick of things laying into behemoths with her bare hands, but more than once it's also led to my seeing a vague raider silhouette in the distance, pinging it with my murderous rifle of killing everything in one shot, and realizing it was her.

Yeah, all you can do is give her a really good melee weapon and let her follow her dreams of clobbering people.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, all you can do is give her a really good melee weapon and let her follow her dreams of clobbering people.

It does make it kind of inadvertently hilarious, to hear her complaining about how unnecessarily dangerous the wasteland is while charging an army armed only with a rolling pin and an awesome accent.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Omi no Kami posted:

It does make it kind of inadvertently hilarious, to hear her complaining about how unnecessarily dangerous the wasteland is while charging an army armed only with a rolling pin and an awesome accent.

Bonus points if she's wearing a lab coat and glasses, for science.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Ooh that's a good idea. I've been dressing us both in identical army fatigues, press cap, combat armor. My thinking is that if nothing else, she'll confuse the enemies long enough to draw their fire :)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Mega64 posted:

You can GET her to wear a lab coat? She never put on the one I gave her.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Cleretic posted:

You can GET her to wear a lab coat? She never put on the one I gave her.

You have to hit "t" to equip things to followers/settlers. There's a little prompt at the bottom. This is so you can play pretty princess dressup without having to muck about with reverse pickpocketing clothes on to people and stuff.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I did so much stuff for the railroad including all of the drat radiant randolph missions, like 5 milas, and actually beating the drat game with them but they still won't give me any the quest for ballistic chips

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fonzarelli posted:

I did so much stuff for the railroad including all of the drat radiant randolph missions, like 5 milas, and actually beating the drat game with them but they still won't give me any the quest for ballistic chips

ballistic chips? The weave stuff? As long as you've done a jackpot quest it should be available, just talk to Tinker Tom when you've got no other quests and such for him, he'll give some blurb about "they had this cool armored weave stuff" and then you can make it

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Azhais posted:

ballistic chips? The weave stuff? As long as you've done a jackpot quest it should be available, just talk to Tinker Tom when you've got no other quests and such for him, he'll give some blurb about "they had this cool armored weave stuff" and then you can make it

Nah I'm definitely bugged out, then. Oh well, its not like it would make me any more invincible than my dude currently is.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Kimmalah posted:

Supply chains only link up your crafting resources in the workshops (stuff like wood, steel, springs, etc.). It does not link resources like water or food so you still have to build those up at each settlement.

And with the purified water thing you mentioned earlier, it's easiest to find it in the workshop if you tab over to the Aid section. And your industrial purifiers have to be hooked up to a generator first in order to function so that could be an issue. Otherwise maybe it needs more time or it's bugged.

rocketrobot posted:

If you enjoy punching people that run up to you quickly with your weapon, it's not as good as a bayonet. Otherwise, no.

IIRC if you shoot outside the gun's defined range the damage takes a big hit. Silencers drop the range a fair amount.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

7c Nickel posted:

You have to hit "t" to equip things to followers/settlers. There's a little prompt at the bottom. This is so you can play pretty princess dressup without having to muck about with reverse pickpocketing clothes on to people and stuff.

Also, if people don't know, you can have Codsworth wear bowler hats. Possibly other hats?

And Dogmeat can wear some goggles and scarf

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
end-game institute spoilers Went with Minutemen up to the 'inside-job' quest then switched to the institute. I've finished the game with the institute (took out the Railroad/BoS) but I still have inside-job available. What happens if I give the tape to Sturges now?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Omi no Kami posted:

So that's pretty funny.

Stupid question. Did you give her ammo?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Lamquin posted:

Why do Super Mutant suiciders exist?

I think you can attribute that to a lack of mental health facilities in the Commonwealth, but especially in the Super Mutant community. Strong gets this, the Milk of Human Kindness gives us a killing edge.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Fonzarelli posted:

Nah I'm definitely bugged out, then. Oh well, its not like it would make me any more invincible than my dude currently is.

There's like 2 quests you get from PAM. You probably don't remember getting the first one. I don't know what it is; I think it might be semi-random? I think PAM wants you to clear out a location and then set up a XXXXXXX. It might be defenses or a beacon or something, I dunno. Something about setting up a safehouse, probably.

When I was first trying to get ballistic fibre I did all of the MILA quests and then a bunch of dead drop ones but those don't count for poo poo (except like 100exp and some caps, maybe?). You have to do the one where you set up a safe house or clear out a safe house or something, then when you talk to PAM she'll talk about Jackpot something or other and give you an RFID chip to a random location. Go clear it out, take their poo poo, come back and after you turn it in Tinker Tom will tell you they found some good poo poo.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Is it just me, or would it be nice to have static upgrades to a settlement? Like, a special tab for pre-made upgrades/additions made specifically for that settlement. For example, an upgrade to the buildings in sanctuary which would seal up the walls and/or the roofs of the old houses, or something which would repair the bridge into it. This would be really helpful for prettying up the settlements without having to finagle so much, and if they don't do this in some settlement dlc, It would be something I hope gets modded in. What does the thread think?

Another example using sanctuary could be where the road would be partially restored using concrete to clear it and make it whole, but even specialized versions of preexisting items, like a prefabricated doctor's station, or something.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 17, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

That's referring to stuff in your workbench used for crafting like purified water and harvested crops, not the "Food" and "Water" stats for each of your settlements (which is what I assumed you were talking about). So if you have a bunch of corn in your workbench it will show up at another linked settlement for you to craft with, but that other settlement will still have 0 Food if you don't plant anything there.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So I had some spare power armor hanging around my settlement. Said settlement got attacked and now I have two settlers in power armor walking about. Do they get out on their own? Or is there something I gotta do?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
God drat. I walked into that town near the bottom of the map to bring that kid home. I don't think of ever aggroed so many enemies at once. I died like 5 times or something. Mostly from being nailed by grenades from ridiculous distances (using realistic survival damage mod here).

Zephyrine posted:

I don't think this sort of thing is for me. One of the purposes of carry limitations is to force you to prioritize what you grab (and so what you don't have to grab)
I realize I'm replying to this a week later, but one thing I do suggest is to stop using your companion's inventory, use the console to increase your carryweight by 150, and pretend that is a shared inventory.

Not having to shuffle items between myself and my companion has removed a major source of tedium without feeling like I'm cheating.

Stringbean posted:

So I had some spare power armor hanging around my settlement. Said settlement got attacked and now I have two settlers in power armor walking about. Do they get out on their own? Or is there something I gotta do?
AFAIK pickpocketing the fusion core forces the occupant to leave the armor.

khy posted:

IIRC if you shoot outside the gun's defined range the damage takes a big hit. Silencers drop the range a fair amount.
Would sure be nice if I had a rangefinder or something so the range wasn't just some arbitrary number on the screen with no context.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Successful Rosario Dawson?

Don't...don't worry about John Fallout. He'll be fine, he's just wrestling with his imminent death.

• Locked thread