Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Amarcarts posted:

How exactly does the terrain generation work if there are two people flying over it? Is the server actually generating the terrain and sending the info to the clients? Can you just pick a spot on the ground and land?

I know SC is faking it but how does it work with other games?

Randomly generated things (planets, Minecraft worlds, whatever) are typically given a 'seed'. If two clients have the same seed value, they will generate the same planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

G0RF posted:

Chris: "Anyone watching this. This chat interface, I promise you, is going get scrapped. This is the most awkward, ugly, unusable interface I've ever seen."

There's a bit of that Chris the Escapist told us about. He's just not yelling since he's live- but the bile is real.

This latter portion of the livestream is delivering some serious future Parp material. I'm glad I came back.

hahaha this is amazing

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I was not expecting this absolute treat of a thread to deliver so well today.

I'm at a loss for words at how perfect it all is.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The attitude in my previous response was due to your comment about wasting your time and getting yelled at. I appreciate you taking a second chance to talk about things again. Personally I don't have a lot of experience with CryEngine or this sort of thing.

So if I understand you correctly you are saying that because it was done in the editor, as opposed to the actual game engine, it's a pretty rudimentary demonstration that doesn't necessarily indicate anything about the level of development they've put in. You mentioned that there are examples of why that's evident in both the video and live demo, not the least of which being the scaling issue (I agree it seemed like they arrived on the planet far quicker than one would expect). Are there any examples beyond that you can point out? Something like this is a pretty compelling argument and I find it rather fascinating.

From what I understand, instead of using their own kernel from AC 1.0 / 2.0 / Star Marine, they used the default Cryengine Kernel (without their own additions). Then just used the Editor that comes along with it, used their own assets built the level then pieced it together in a hackathon fashion with relative 32*2 bit positioning so the maps felt like they were all seamless and a single piece.

I'm writing out of my rear end here.

Edit: They probably managed to incorporate their physics tech into the core kernel to get multicrew working.

no_recall fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 17, 2015

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Amarcarts posted:

How exactly does the terrain generation work if there are two people flying over it? Is the server actually generating the terrain and sending the info to the clients? Can you just pick a spot on the ground and land?

I know SC is faking it but how does it work with other games?

Its not random, it is done according to a 'procedure'. You have an equation that determines the shape of the Terrain that is same for everyone. For example - Mountainheight * sin(x), as you increase x you will oscillate between a mountain and a valley. It's a little more complicated than that though...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CrazyLoon posted:

Tell me SOMEONE is capturing this for a later upload, because cripes this kind of thing cannot be allowed to just be willy nilly deleted by CIG's later editing.

someone should be capturing every stream they do because these incompetent chucklefucks cant do anything

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

wow this stream just officially fell to pieces. they tried to cut away from crobberts but left the camera on him as he lost his poo poo.

oh god please

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3x4ray/star_citizen_vs_elite_dangerous_why_do_people/cy1th4y

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I love how hosed up this whole thing is. Its like just when its impossible to be worst they do it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3x4ryk/star_citizen_1st_seamless_procedural_planetary/cy1l80a

I love this community and their unceasing dedication towards taking the high road regardless of the circumstances.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Lol, the Cubs are way better than the Yankees right now.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

It's breathtaking. I've just never seen this dumb of a demographic outside of mobile and facebook games. I mean they're not even getting a game here, they're getting a fantasy of getting a game. Sociologists should start researching this insanity because it's some kind of thing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Lol, the Cubs are way better than the Yankees right now.

:ssh: don't tell them

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
The main issue I have always had is that multicrew ships aren't culled. Meaningful interactions between crewmates on multicrew ships SHOULDN'T BE broadcasted to everyone outside the ship. This is a waste of resources in nearly all areas. To be honest as a guy piloting a gladius, I don't need to know whats going on in the Constellation.

Derek, is there any chance for them to do the above?

tia.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Omi-Polari posted:

Someone has a nice Porsche in the background.

Looks like a Boxster Spyder. New goes for $82,100.

Edit: No... look at its reflection in the glass. Someone who knows more about cars can probably pinpoint it though.

Maybe a 911. About the same price.

WHAT THE HOLY gently caress!!! That is a goddamn 911 50th anniversary limited edition!!! You can tell by the rims. That thing starts at 125k USD, if you can even find one. Only like 1900 were made.

I wish I was lying:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3x4ryk/star_citizen_1st_seamless_procedural_planetary/cy1l80a

I love this community and their unceasing dedication towards taking the high road regardless of the circumstances.

quote:

[–]ShepardOF 2 points 2 hours ago
This imbecile turned his back on this community, so gently caress him.

NOT A CULT NOT A CULT NOT A CULT NOT A CULT NOT A CULT NOT A CULT

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bait and Swatch posted:

WHAT THE HOLY gently caress!!! That is a goddamn 911 50th anniversary limited edition!!! You can tell by the rims. That thing starts at 125k USD, if you can even find one. Only like 1900 were made.

I wish I was lying:

Hahahaha.... :five:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

Chris Roberts plays Star Citizen :allears:

19 minutes of pure "What the gently caress am I watching" courtesy of the livestream.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Bait and Swatch posted:

I wish I was lying:

CALM DOWN. IT'S OK. Crobbers is entitled to luxury cause he's building :gary: PAAARP. Everything is fine.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
To be fair for the car thing, maybe he got that with whatever money he made from other projects?

Did Top Gear ever review the 50th Anniversary Edition?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Bait and Swatch posted:

I wish I was lying:

It's honestly inspiring how optimistic shitizens are, even in the face of things like this. Kudos to Christ Roberts for what is the happiest cult I thiink I've ever seen. Scientology senpai, pls take notice.

:five:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Backers have been conditioned to treat the possibility of a feature as evidence that the feature has already been released. It doesn't matter how preliminary, how superfluous, or how irrelevant a feature is. Everything is possible and everything will happen.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

Chris Roberts plays Star Citizen :allears:

19 minutes of pure "What the gently caress am I watching" courtesy of the livestream.

Almost 4 years. 100 million dollars. And he can't even play the game for 20 minutes.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

To be fair for the car thing, maybe he got that with whatever money he made from other projects?

Did Top Gear ever review the 50th Anniversary Edition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNwNMgT-adc Here you go

quote:

0:23 - This wasn't so much a car, more a place where a fat balding middle aged man could go off and have his midlife Crysis.

Yep. Sounds like a winner.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

no_recall posted:

CALM DOWN. IT'S OK. Crobbers is entitled to luxury cause he's building :gary: PAAARP. Everything is fine.

Eh the car is fine. He had money before presumably. Now if he were driving am Aventador or something like that id call foul.

Didn't sandi have a z8 before star citizen? Seems they just like expensive cars

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bait and Swatch posted:

I wish I was lying:

ATTENTION

CHRIS ROBERTS CAR IDENTIFIED

ATTENTION

:gary:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Uh... Killzone 2, tyvm

did killzone 2 not deliver or something? because their e3 promo looked the same as the final product, if not slightly worse

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNwNMgT-adc Here you go

Yep. Sounds like a winner.

Literally StarCitizen the car

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

did killzone 2 not deliver or something? because their e3 promo looked the same as the final product, if not slightly worse

Teaser trailer: 2005

Release: 2009

See you in 4 years!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Bait and Swatch posted:

I wish I was lying:

This thread literally never stops being amazing

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3x4dvw/million_mile_high_club_and_new_eva_really_more/

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Romes128 posted:

Eh the car is fine. He had money before presumably. Now if he were driving am Aventador or something like that id call foul.

Didn't sandi have a z8 before star citizen? Seems they just like expensive cars

There is more Aventadors than the anniversary editions, I'm just surprised to see someone with one, let alone finding a window picture of one in this thread.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

This loving guy just posted a driveby shill post in the DCS reddit :barf:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Meanwhile, E:D is a game that is released, functional, playable, successful, and is being developed by a company that is actually interested in making a GAME rather than A loving MO-CAP MOVIE.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Literally StarCitizen the car

Explains the Phoenix, 890 Jump and all the limited edition sales.

"Sexy Ships"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

BMan posted:

This loving guy just posted a driveby shill post in the DCS reddit :barf:
Looks like Citizenslum:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/3x5tlk/my_ultimate_gameroom_portland_oregon/

http://imgur.com/gallery/nLhYh

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Bait and Swatch posted:

I wish I was lying:

Is this one of those 3 Porsches Chris and Sandi are allegedly leasing using backer funds? I'd given up hope we'd get a pic of those-- and yet Lando hooked us up.

I'm just going to go ahead and assume, then, the rumor was true. Seems safer than giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

$150,000. If that's true then... how?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Belated introduction. posted:

Hi everyone.
I've been hanging around here for a month or two (don't ask me how long exactly... No idea)
And it occurs to me I never introduced myself.

How rude of me.

My name is KuraIthys...
Or well, it is online anyway.

I'm kinda oldish sorta, and rather useless at life, but I get by I suppose.

If you have seen me around at all, you might have noticed my obsession with catgirls...
Perhaps worryingly so.
I'm honestly surprised I haven't driven my boyfriend completely insane yet.

When I'm not being useless I take flying lessons. Maybe some time in the next 3 years I'll have a pilot's licence of some kind.
Probably not though.

Once upon a time I was an undergraduate physics student. But, I failed at that catastrophically, so... there is that. XD
Still, there are things you don't forget, even if you did fail a subject...
Had to have some understanding of things to even get into a course like that, right?
Meanwhile I spent about 10 years of my life trying to learn about game design and programming.
My success rate with that is about the same as my physics degree. XD

Every so often I make videos on youtube (gaming, anime, whatever other random things I think of), but after a series of problems I ended up getting out of practice with it.
Once upon a time I did weekly videos... Now, my last one was 4 months or more ago.
I hope to get back to it at some point, but so far... Not managed it.

Ah, that's not important though
I joined Star Citizen because I love space games in general, and scifi...
And because even though the details might not be what I would do if I designed a game, but in some ways it's what I always wanted out of a game... The level of detail, and the ships having fully functional interiors is what drew me in.

I might be a bit strange, and awkward. I guess.
Trust me, I'm much worse in person. XD
I would probably get nervous talking to all of you if I had to do it in person.
So thankfully, I don't have to.

Anyway, see you around the verse.
Maybe.
When I'm not feeling all shy, or grumpy, or just plain antisocial. XD
Why do I attempt to play MMO's again? I forget... >_>

Anyway, enough being awkward. I have things to do!
... Probably.
... Possibly.

OK, probably not.
Oh. Whatever. >_<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't chris rent a mansion too?

Post evidence if he does.