Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Death Bot posted:

We're going to find out that his dad was an overworked salaryman and him being lonely as a kid is why he cares so much about money. Redemption arc.

You're just saying that because every single antagonist has been Fairy Tail'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Death Bot posted:

We're going to find out that his dad was an overworked salaryman and him being lonely as a kid is why he cares so much about money. Redemption arc.

And ruin his entertainment value?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Mimisaka still has some pretty decent faces even in lieu of being on Soma's side now.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Does this mean Soma is in the Elite Ten now, or does it not work like that?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

korrandark posted:

It was just a Shokugeki to make them stop tearing down the dorm wasn't it?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

korrandark posted:

It wasn't a shokugeki for Eizan's position, so probably not. Especially with Azami in charge.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Is there an assistant dedicated to drawing the faces, because if so they need their own series

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The reaction expressions from just these gyoza along with the description in the dialogue makes me super hungry.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Compendium posted:

The reaction expressions from just these gyoza along with the description in the dialogue makes me super hungry.

If this is just the first time then I question what manga you're reading.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Neo_Crimson posted:

If this is just the first time then I question what manga you're reading.

Nah, there were another few highlights before this for me. Just to name a few: the Karaage Battle, Takumi's curry pasta, Bento Battle, Ramen Battle, and MEAT WONDERLAND

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is one of few times the food hasn't seemed appealing to me. Like, they explained why it apparently tastes good, but I still can't imagine parmesan cheese + that other stuff tasting good.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Once the secret ingredient was revealed, I just imagined like, a chicken parmesan with meat sauce, flavor wise. Clearly not exactly, but some similar flavors going on, whereas before that I agree, I wasn't really understanding the appeal.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Can't knock it until you've tried it.

I've made and eaten Napolitan spaghetti before and the ketchup and Parmesan cheese really do go stupidly well together.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Maybe it was way better than, say, Heinz ketchup since they made it themselves with produce and poo poo they grew at the dorm.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Grimace posted:

Maybe it was way better than, say, Heinz ketchup since they made it themselves with produce and poo poo they grew at the dorm.

One of my former co-workers was super finicky about her ketchups... which made it all the more hilarious due to the fact that she couldn't cook for poo poo.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Compendium posted:

Can't knock it until you've tried it.

I've made and eaten Napolitan spaghetti before and the ketchup and Parmesan cheese really do go stupidly well together.

I would eat my Parmesan coated trifle fries with ketchup and they were the bomb. Still can't see it in chicken gyoza though.

That being said it was really fun to see Erina starting to accept all the crazy bullshit the polar star dorm does.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I knew someone who ate white rice with ketchup.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Buschmaki posted:

If you add an egg that's literally just omurice.

Otherwise it ain't that uncommon, I have a few family members who did it when they were younger.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
When I have spare cooked rice and I don't feel like cooking because it's 2am then I just add some ketchup because rice is good and ketchup is good.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Like half the point of rice is that you just put whatever on it and it'll at least taste alright.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Isn't American ketchup sweeter than Japanese ketchup?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah japanese ketchup tastes different. i really dislike western ketchup while japanese ketchup just left me with an 'eh' taste. it could have just gotten overpowered by the rest of the food though

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
There is a simple joy and purity in eating plain, white rice.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kyte posted:

When I have spare cooked rice and I don't feel like cooking because it's 2am then I just add some ketchup because rice is good and ketchup is good.

Yo, sounds like you hella need to get some furikake.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'm south american, I have zero experience with japanese cuisine or its ingredients or even cooking styles. It's very rare to find it for sale, either, unless it's crap to make sushi.
Hell, even the rice is cooked different. (Boiling water, so it's not as sticky)

Also I've noticed that many of the ingredients mentioned in japanese cuisine fall in the range of stuff I really loving dislike.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you dislike fish, chicken, rice and pork? cause that's 90% of japanese cuisine

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
add breading to that and you have the five Japanese food groups

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Buschmaki posted:

that person is me

Also, I feel like linking the Wakako-zake thread because the OP post has a huge thing on Japanese cuisine and it's fun to read.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730580

Also watch Wakako-zake

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Buschmaki posted:

There is a simple joy and purity in eating plain, white rice.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Compendium posted:

Also watch Wakako-zake

But what if they don't have 40 minutes to watch an entire series?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

I have a cousin who*, if stories are to be believed, ate her salads with ketchup on it.

*It was a long time ago though so she was only like four or six or something.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Davincie posted:

you dislike fish, chicken, rice and pork? cause that's 90% of japanese cuisine

It's the choice of seasonings and flavors, really.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Compendium posted:

that person is me

Also, I feel like linking the Wakako-zake thread because the OP post has a huge thing on Japanese cuisine and it's fun to read.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730580

Also watch Wakako-zake

Well heck, if we're flogging other things with food, there's a 4koma called Nomi Joshi that's funny and cute and has booze and food.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
A little refresher on Kuga-sempai's style of cooking: Kuga specializes in Szechuan (aka Sichuan) cuisine, which is typified by the Ma La (numb and spicy) flavor profile. Mapo Tofu, a very popular stew and Kuga's signature dish, is supposed to have been invented long ago by a little old lady. The story goes that a traveler passing through the region arrived in town too late and all the inns were closed. Not wanting to sleep on the streets, he started knocking on doors to see if he could find someone to let him stay the night. The only person to take him in was an old woman on the outskirts of town. She lived a pretty reclusive life because her face was covered in pockmarks, and she was so overjoyed that she had a guest that she threw this dish together in gratitude using scraps of meat, some tofu, and chili bean paste.

The name Mapo Tofu is a bit of a pun. While "Ma" can refer to the numb tingling sensation from the szechuan peppercorns, Ma also can mean "Ma Tzi," or "pockmarks." "Po" is a general term for an older woman, like "Auntie" or "Grandmother."

And as promised, my homemade mapo tofu:

The pairing of numbing and spicy qualities in the dish is a pretty exquisite combo. The numbness helps hide the spiciness of the sauce, but when that fades the heat begins to burn your mouth, so you instinctively want to chow down on more tofu to get that numbness back. It's why you see Kuga's diners gorging themselves so rampantly when they're eating.

I made a double batch so this'll last me a few days grom nom nom.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 17, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Comic posted:

Once the secret ingredient was revealed, I just imagined like, a chicken parmesan with meat sauce, flavor wise. Clearly not exactly, but some similar flavors going on, whereas before that I agree, I wasn't really understanding the appeal.

Yeah, but I think it would be quite accurate to say that the flavor of the chicken in chicken parmesan is heavily overshadowed by the flavored of the cheese and sauce (which is basically the argument Eizan and peers were making against Souma's dish).

I'm pretty sure that the dish actually does taste good, considering that it exists in the first place; it's just the first one where I haven't thought "drat, that sounds/looks good" and am forced to just take their word for it.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Strange as it sounds, I'm almost never enticed by anything that Souma cooks. In fact, when it comes to shokugekis and other competitions I'm almost always more interested in tasting his opponents' dish:

Nikumi's meat blossom roti don with A5 beef seems way more exquisite than the Souma's Chaliapin steak don. Frankly I just want to try super expensive well-marbled aged beef.
Mimasaka's beef stew seems more refined than Souma's crazy beef amusement park stew... it seems like way too much and it strays a little too far from the western entree theme. Plus, I'm worried that Souma's cooking method for the tenderloin wouldn't suit it. That poo poo should be rare/mid-rare at the most.
Nakiri's sushi bento box... oh Jesus get in my mouf.
Aldini's Japanese-Italian fusion style seared duck breast... duck is one of my favorite meats so hell yeah.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ShadowCatboy posted:

Strange as it sounds, I'm almost never enticed by anything that Souma cooks. In fact, when it comes to shokugekis and other competitions I'm almost always more interested in tasting his opponents' dish:

Nikumi's meat blossom roti don with A5 beef seems way more exquisite than the Souma's Chaliapin steak don. Frankly I just want to try super expensive well-marbled aged beef.
Mimasaka's beef stew seems more refined than Souma's crazy beef amusement park stew... it seems like way too much and it strays a little too far from the western entree theme. Plus, I'm worried that Souma's cooking method for the tenderloin wouldn't suit it. That poo poo should be rare/mid-rare at the most.
Aldini's Japanese-Italian fusion style seared duck breast... duck is one of my favorite meats so hell yeah.

Birds > Mammals > Non-Fish Seafood > Fish

I don't like fish.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fish is really good and seafood is delicious. Which is why I hope Kurokiba gets more to do soon because i'd like to see more seafood recipes.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

ShadowCatboy posted:

Yeah, Souma's dishes aren't usually my top favorites (just like how it is in the manga badum psh), but I do wanna try the apple risotto and his chaplin steak don especially since the latter seems actually doable.

Megumi and Ryou's ramen dishes entice the hell out f me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Nakiri's sushi box is the best dish ever shown in the manga, really just remarkable variety and presentation. It really proves that the scientific approach to cooking isn't just overthinking things.