Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Birds are so lucky, they can always escape.

UNLESS YOU TRAP IT IN A BEDROOM, MAX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

So is there some sort of theme between the choice of answers being on the left or the right? I haven't been paying enough attention to pick up on any.

There could be a pretty cool film or miniseries about being a friend to someone with Maxs powers but not knowing they have them; they'd seem brash, cocky and a hell of a risk taker but also incredibly insightful, knowledgeable and empathic to those around them, able to read the minds of others and judge their mood perfectly. Nothing would take them by surprise and they'd have ninja reflexes but there would be times when they'd suddenly undergo major mood swings (because they've just jumped back from something upsetting) and if anything bad actually happened to them they'd suddenly become incredibly angry, upset and tired (because they'd spent a lot of time trying to prevent it and then having to give up). It could be some sort of bait and switch with everyone just thinking they're bipolar but it's actually time manipulation, although I guess that might lack a little tact.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Don't call yourself a white knight you loving prick, NOT EVEN IRONICALLY

Also i'm 98% sure he just smeared shoe polish onto his eye, his lips aren't even bruised

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Panzer Skank posted:

There are some interesting contrasts in the Major polls, but I thought the funniest bit was that 25% of all players didn't make it into the closet??? How??

I don't know why, but I couldn't for the life of me actually get inside the closet. I don't remember if I tried to move the lamp away and couldn't or for some reason didn't realize that you were supposed to move the lamp away.

I looked around the rest of the room before getting into the closet and since I couldn't find any hiding spots beforehand, I thought the closet was a red herring anyway and that it was impossible to hide.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

SkinCrawling posted:

I don't know why, but I couldn't for the life of me actually get inside the closet. I don't remember if I tried to move the lamp away and couldn't or for some reason didn't realize that you were supposed to move the lamp away.

I looked around the rest of the room before getting into the closet and since I couldn't find any hiding spots beforehand, I thought the closet was a red herring anyway and that it was impossible to hide.

Ha! That makes sense though, since the room is full of red herrings and there's no real indication that there are two paths at all! I didn't even realize you were offered choices if you got caught, it figures that it works the other way as well.

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 14, 2015

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
I feel sort of bad for David because right now it really seems like all his behavior could be the result of a bad case of PTSD that he isn't getting any help for. Not that it excuses his behavior.

I eagerly await finding out in a later episode that he was never deployed and is just a huge dick for no reason.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I appreciate that the anonymous tree stump haiku follows the traditional principles of "cutting" and using a seasonal theme.

LaCelestina
Sep 28, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Panzer Skank posted:

There are some interesting contrasts in the Major polls, but I thought the funniest bit was that 25% of all players didn't make it into the closet??? How??
I didn't make it into the closet... I just panicked when David showed up and didn't have time to react. :derp: I did move the lamp, but maybe my time was too close and he busted in right after I dropped the lamp. I even tried to see if I could hide under the bed. No go.

Can't wait for episode 2! :neckbeard:

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Yessssss Max finally told someone about her time powers! Always bugs me when characters keep magic a secret, I know if I could reverse time I would never shut up about it.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

This is a very interesting game and a great LP! Well, that's all I got so far. thanks

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

KasaiAisu posted:

Yessssss Max finally told someone about her time powers! Always bugs me when characters keep magic a secret, I know if I could reverse time I would never shut up about it.

And you could tell people over and over again, for the first time!

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

I think the voice acting in this game is kind of hit and miss (I'm still not sure how to feel about Max's whispery tones), but Ashly Burch as Chloe in particular is superb.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Kaubocks posted:

threads keeping up its hot tradition of making all the wrong choices

I'm gonna play this on my own and not open the window for the bird :colbert:

Kaubocks is the real monster of the thread

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm the tornado swooping in to gently caress your poo poo up

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
I love that ending montage. I'm very excited as we're going into Ep 2 where, without saying more, I was pleasantly surprised my playstyle was encouraged :)

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

HenryEx posted:

Don't call yourself a white knight you loving prick, NOT EVEN IRONICALLY

Also i'm 98% sure he just smeared shoe polish onto his eye, his lips aren't even bruised

I don't know, Nathan looked like he was pummeling him pretty thoroughly. Dude is unhinged. That said, "white knight" is incredibly obnoxious. It'd be unforgivable if not for the fact that he did just take it to the face for us... and we actually DID need the help right then. It would be one thing if the help was unasked for and unneeded, but... see "unhinged" above.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
A tree haiku? How bare minimally pretentious.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

namesake posted:

There could be a pretty cool film or miniseries about being a friend to someone with Maxs powers but not knowing they have them; they'd seem brash, cocky and a hell of a risk taker but also incredibly insightful, knowledgeable and empathic to those around them, able to read the minds of others and judge their mood perfectly. Nothing would take them by surprise and they'd have ninja reflexes but there would be times when they'd suddenly undergo major mood swings (because they've just jumped back from something upsetting) and if anything bad actually happened to them they'd suddenly become incredibly angry, upset and tired (because they'd spent a lot of time trying to prevent it and then having to give up). It could be some sort of bait and switch with everyone just thinking they're bipolar but it's actually time manipulation, although I guess that might lack a little tact.

I don't know if I'm reading too much into things, but is anyone else getting this exact same vibe off of the descriptions we've been hearing for Rachel? She's friends with every conflicting group and seems to have something in common with everyone... just like Max after she learns something and shifts backwards.

Has this happened before? Is Max the new Rachel?

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

SageNytell posted:

I don't know if I'm reading too much into things, but is anyone else getting this exact same vibe off of the descriptions we've been hearing for Rachel? She's friends with every conflicting group and seems to have something in common with everyone... just like Max after she learns something and shifts backwards.

Has this happened before? Is Max the new Rachel?

I was actually thinking the exact same thing, the idea that Rachel was so well liked by everyone would seem just like random backstory (Like the characters part of the inciting incident of Twin Peaks or Deadly Premonition) if we weren't using our powers to do the exact same thing. And given how the Butterfly Effect works, I'm gonna hazard a guess and say this power kills more people than it helps in the long run.

Also this thread got me to buy the game for myself, so I'm gonna play along with the LP at least somewhat.

IBlameRoadSuess fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 16, 2015

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I'm not gonna go into too many details right now, but Rachel Amber is essentially Laura Palmer, known and loved by everyone but she has a secret, weird double life that we learn about as we go through the game. Right now we know that she was basically nice to everyone, but she also attended the vortex club's parties and there are rumors that she was sleeping with Mr. Jefferson. She was apparently really close friends (at least) with Chloe and Chloe seems to have thought of her as basically invincible, but when you're as down as Chloe seems to be basically anyone can look like that.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
So having just played through the first chapter on my own, I discovered that there's a conversation you can have with Chloe about the gun before leaving her house, if you took that path. It's mostly inconsequential, and only has two "choices" for Max to pick, neither of which do anything significant, but I think it's a neat touch that you can actually talk to Chloe about what she's doing with the gun.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Just caught up with this, so here's some thoughts!

I wonder if Max is actually from four days in the future and just projecting back REALLY hard. I mean her jump from Chloe getting shot back to before the lecture ended was definitely more than the 30 seconds or so she can go back normally, so it's evidently POSSIBLE, just... I dunno, this doesn't seem probably but it's a very Doctor Who twist.

Nathan seems like he's designed to be a prick with no redeeming features. I think he probably is exactly as deep as he looks.

David, though. There's probably something there? He has moments where he almost seems to calm down and become... really tired. Is he running from something? Evidently he has a reason for being so paranoid, is that what made him come and play happy families with Chloe's mother? Similarly, is Chloe's mother keeping him around for some sort of protection reason? And is he looking into Rachel's disappearance himself? Thinking that Kate "knows something"?

Chloe... This is probably going to go down not so well but I really don't like her at all and think Max telling her about her rewind power was a massive mistake. I think she's a bad person. I mean what happened to her was completely vile, don't get me wrong, but I can't shake the feeling she's going to end up using that gun on someone. David, or Nathan, or both. And she's going to try and drag Max along for the ride.

Kate is nice and we should help her when possible.

Victoria just seems like she wasn't hugged enough as a child. Like she was bought expensive things and told to shut up by parents who didn't have time for her so now that's all she knows. I bet she was raised by the maid.

I like the idea that Rachel was the proto-Max. Maybe she pushed it too hard and got flung way into the past.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm with you on not liking Chloe despite seeing her impossible situation. Thread won't agree and it's probably not even possible within the story (please don't tell me this ends up in romance because that just seems to be the most obvious course) but I'd keep as far away from her as possible and not just because guns and blackmail and completely irredeemable dipshit of a stepfather - mostly because she seems willing to go pretty drat far to achieve what she wants, over the dead body of anyone involved, including Max.

That last shot on the folders containing the names of disappeared women/girls was pretty interesting. It seems this has been going on for quite a while, maybe Rachel wasn't as unique as we (and she?) thought.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

David, though. There's probably something there? He has moments where he almost seems to calm down and become... really tired. Is he running from something? Evidently he has a reason for being so paranoid, is that what made him come and play happy families with Chloe's mother? Similarly, is Chloe's mother keeping him around for some sort of protection reason? And is he looking into Rachel's disappearance himself? Thinking that Kate "knows something"?

Chloe... This is probably going to go down not so well but I really don't like her at all and think Max telling her about her rewind power was a massive mistake. I think she's a bad person. I mean what happened to her was completely vile, don't get me wrong, but I can't shake the feeling she's going to end up using that gun on someone. David, or Nathan, or both. And she's going to try and drag Max along for the ride.

David is probably going to get more characterization if I don't miss my bet. My theory is that he has some pretty bad PTSD and got tossed out of the military, whether it be due to psych reasons or maybe a dishonorable discharge is another matter entirely, but it's easy to see he hasn't left his time in the military behind and actually still kind of thinks he is. I didn't notice it in the video, but when i went and played through it, while he's trying to get into Chloe's room, he slips up and calls her "soldier," realizes his mistake and then uses her name. He's got some hard mental issues to address, but they really have zero money for him to get the help he needs, and who knows where the nearest place to get counseling outside of a bottle is in this town.

As for Chloe? She's got some seriously lovely issues going on in her life and I think the death of her real father was just the start, and Max leaving was another big problem. She probably felt totally abandoned by everybody, and add in the fact that her mother chose David as a second husband, despite probably knowing the kind of dick he is, and Chloe's own concerns. I think it's safe to say that she needs serious mental help too.

I'm not sure if Arcadia Bay's inhabitants are going to get better or worse in the future, but as it stands there's only like two, maybe three people I would go out of my way to help out, not counting Chloe. If everyone's as big an rear end in a top hat as David or Nathan or Victoria? That tornado might be for the best to be honest.

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere here, though I admittedly did skim over most of the thread, but it's pretty clear that The Butterfly Effect was a big inspiration for this game on top of all the other stuff they looked to for inspiration. It's not an easy film to sit through, but it is a very good one in my opinion, and if LiS gives us anything resembling the things that go on in that movie, this is going to be a hell of a ride.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

:allears: I don't wanna touch the speculation in this thread or influence it in any way, just wanted to let yall know i love these posts they're great.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
I am very concerned about those gross filters that come up if you use rewind for too long. It's making me think that there is going to be a bad ending/game over condition where you rewind too often or too far and give Max an aneurysm or something.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

When did you get that gang tag? Never noticed that.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Air is lava! posted:

When did you get that gang tag? Never noticed that.

I was granted this w/ my amazing windwaker sex crab avatar. I think Geop did it? I'm gonna go with Geop did it.

Eldataluta posted:

I am very concerned about those gross filters that come up if you use rewind for too long. It's making me think that there is going to be a bad ending/game over condition where you rewind too often or too far and give Max an aneurysm or something.

They are pretty creepy and gross looking, and they're also thematically appropriate! Most of the graphic effects and overlays in this game are based on photography effects! When we rewind and can see both our rewinding selves and the moment we're rewinding, it's meant to look like a double exposure. The weird effect at the end of a rewind is film burning. There are more but I don't know enough about film or photography to identify them :shobon:

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
On the one hand the game does stuff like this and it's obvious they researched stuff about photography and then Max shakes her instant film and my immersion is crushed :colbert:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Junkozeyne posted:

On the one hand the game does stuff like this and it's obvious they researched stuff about photography and then Max shakes her instant film and my immersion is crushed :colbert:
Everyone does that. Yeah it's true that it doesn't actually do anything but we still do it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere here, though I admittedly did skim over most of the thread, but it's pretty clear that The Butterfly Effect was a big inspiration for this game on top of all the other stuff they looked to for inspiration. It's not an easy film to sit through, but it is a very good one in my opinion, and if LiS gives us anything resembling the things that go on in that movie, this is going to be a hell of a ride.

From the end of Chapter 1, it's pretty clear that Donnie Darko was an influence as well, and I'd highly recommend it. Although I do feel The Butterfly Effect gets maligned far more than it should be and is worth a watch. The comparison to Donnie Darko will be more appropriate if things get even stranger, but the storm imagery echoes this shot a bit:

And for those who may not follow the news around there, a very rare tornado hit the region where the game is set just last week.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 18, 2015

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Kangra posted:

From the end of Chapter 1, it's pretty clear that Donnie Darko was an influence as well, and I'd highly recommend it. Although I do feel The Butterfly Effect gets maligned far more than it should be and is worth a watch. The comparison to Donnie Darko will be more appropriate if things get even stranger, but the storm imagery echoes this shot a bit:

And for those who may not follow the news around there, a very rare tornado hit the region where the game is set just last week.

This game is basically Donnie Darko, Butterfly Effect, Twin Peaks, and TEEN DRAMA.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Not to go too far into movie chat, but Donnie Darko is a movie that everyone should watch, at least once, preferably twice. The differences between the Director's Cut version and the regular Theatrical Cut are enough that it makes the movie play out a bit differently, in my opinion at least, and neither version is "superior" they're both just really good in their own ways. Not getting too far into spoiler territory for it, I will say that a second watch of the movie does help the viewer pick up on things they might have otherwise missed in the first run through. Also how can you not watch a movie with a six foot tall bunny rabbit named Frank in it, what's wrong with you?

Stay away from S. Darko though, that poo poo is bad.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hello hello! I know it's a day early, but here's a :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:It's a brand new day at Blackwell! Let's get ready for some more adventure and take a drat shower.:siren:

The poll for today: closed!

SECRET POLL FOR TODAY: closed!!

Here is the new journal page! (My mistake in the video, we only got one new page.)

Our titlecard song for this episode is: Alt-J - Something Good [lyrics]

I thought I would throw this up a day early since it ran kind of long and the choice is kind of hard :shobon:

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 26, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I vote to keep Terry

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Acne Rain posted:

I vote to keep Terry

Im gonna kill terry and none of u can stop me, he is annoying !!!!!!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Leave the Terr Bear alone and crush Warren instead.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I vote to water the plant. And then look at it as it slowly drowns, while its soul seeps into the floor. Then rewind time and do it again. When you saved Chloe, you prevented a death, so you have to sacrifice a more important life to even it out. Otherwise you will anger the blood gods who fuel your powers.
I mean, that's why people buy plants, right?

Maximum causality run!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 20, 2015

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!

This is such a lovely situation, oh my god. While both choices could end badly I think that going to the police is the better option. I'm getting the feeling that Nathan has probably been drugging women for a while now, who knows how many victims there are? If we go to the police maybe other victims will hear about it and also tell the police what happened to them? It's kind of a stretch but if there are more voices surely somebody in a position of authority will have to do something about it. It also seems to make Kate feel better, even if only for now. Her life seems to be spiraling pretty badly so anything we can do to help her, even in detriment to ourselves, seems worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The first thing we need to do is watch Timecop and learn how Jean Claude Van Damme would deal with a poo poo like Nathan Prescott.

• Locked thread