Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

iSheep posted:

I'm sure Rian Johnson and Colin Trevorrow will have every resource available to them to make sure production goes smoothly.

Salon(?) had a pretty in-depth interview with Abrams, and one thing that it brought up was that Rian Johnson was getting all the dailies from TFA, and even got Abrams to add in a few things to help set up stuff for VIII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

gohmak posted:

Is Finn a force user?
I think so? The importance that Ren placed on him may have just been a plot device, but I think he sensed a disturbance/awakening of the force in Finn (which i think he actually mentions).

If this proves to be the case I still think Finn will prove to be more of the sidekick character and develop specific force abilities to complement those of Rey, who's the more traditional hero here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

gohmak posted:

So he is not shown doing any Jedi poo poo other than swing a lightsaber?

When Finn and Rey escape Jakku (I really liked that planet, despite seeming like a Tatooine clone at first) they both do some pretty amazing things that surprise even themselves re: shooting and piloting respectively. To the point that afterwards they run to each other all :neckbeard: excited because they can't believe they just pulled this crazy poo poo off :3:

I like to think it was intended to be them both unknowingly using the Force. But then again there is the earlier scene where Finn and Poe escape the New Order ship and they're both doing the super-excited :hfive: bit over their escape. So maybe they're just a really enthusiastic bunch of characters!

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

We don't really know.

But the established Saiyan power rankings are now Rey..............then nothing for a long time........then Kylo and Finn coming last.

On Saiyan power rankings then Finn would be Yamcha?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

gohmak posted:

Is Finn a force user?

By all indications there's no solid evidence for it yet (beyond his affinity for flying and shooting and basic lightsaber skills), but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. Be a good opportunity to show Force users who do their own thing rather than following the Sith or Jedi ideological binary.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

Finn being able to fight with a lightsaber with no training would be a quite strong indication that he's very force sensitive, if not for the fact that never having wielded a lightsaber before seems to have become a non-issue. I guess either Luke was just horrible at lightsabers for needing some training, or Kylo Ren is utterly pathetic for failing to defeat two newbies.

Actually, Kylo Ren being a useless twat but the big bad keeping him around and stroking his ego to gently caress with Han and Leia would be quite awesome.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

CJ posted:

How was the music? Are there tracks that will be as iconic as Duel of the Fates or Binary Sunset?

Honestly, it's not great. Beyond the themes and motifs that are classic ones, I can't think of any parts where the soundtrack wowed me - and I usually love soundtracks. But I'm of the opinion that most of Williams' prequel soundtrack wasn't particularly good either.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I actually liked Han's death, where he takes that last moment to touch his son's face. I thought it was a nice touch. It'll be pretty boring if all the original cast all dies out in the film though by the end of the series.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

NoDoorway posted:

The comparison with Vader is interesting; in the OT Vader is a 50-60 year old sith lord whos had a lifetime of training and a stone cold bad rear end. Kylo is an angry kid with no finesse who desperately wants to be Vader.

Actually he's only 41/45 depending if you mean Vader in ANH or RotJ, but your point is correct, it's a nice contrast.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

lol this movie has a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. We goons are so seasoned with moviedom that we pick things apart so well.

I'll be happy if it's as good as the Star Trek reboot.

RT has two grades: Good or Not Good. I don't think most people here having issues with the movie would say Not Good overall, despite the issues, so I don't see a discrepancy here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nion posted:

Finn being able to fight with a lightsaber with no training would be a quite strong indication that he's very force sensitive, if not for the fact that never having wielded a lightsaber before seems to have become a non-issue. I guess either Luke was just horrible at lightsabers for needing some training, or Kylo Ren is utterly pathetic for failing to defeat two newbies.

Finn is a stormtrooper (albeit one who spent most of his career in sanitation!) so he'll have combat training, as we see in the battle where he faces another stormtrooper who is using a melee weapon too - so stormtroopers are clearly taught at least some basics. Luke was a moisture farmer with absolutely no combat training beyond shooting space-rats when he was bored and couldn't find anybody to tool around on speeders with or get high on some "power converters".

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Nion posted:

Actually, Kylo Ren being a useless twat but the big bad keeping him around and stroking his ego to gently caress with Han and Leia would be quite awesome.

I think that you are not far off with that, cause I believe that Snoke wants either Finn or Rey as apprentice.

In all past Star Wars movies force users always gravitate to each other and I guess Snoke sees the badly trained Kylo as useful bait to get a more powerful force user within his grasp.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Nion posted:

In his defense though, Kylo Ren had just been shot in the gut by Cheewie's super powerful crossbow blaster, the same weapon that had been hyped hard by Solo throughout the movie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Krowley posted:

the same weapon that had been hyped hard by Solo throughout the movie.

I loved that you could clearly see Han constantly thinking,"Man I should have been using this thing YEARS ago!", he enjoyed using it so much.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
So I got out of the cinema about 6 hours ago now and have spent the following hours in the pub with the people I went in with discussing pretty much everything about the film.

I had some misgivings coming out, but they were pretty minor, sure it apes ANH pretty heavily but it has enough of it's own character to be held apart. I loved the new characters, Rey and Kylo I feel are a great mirror of each other, Kylo especially, was a surprisingly deep and nuanced character. Sure if you think about the deeper part of the lore, it gets kind of messy (hyperdrive sun-laser death star plus wtf, where is the republic/resistance fleet?) but it's kind of ancillary and doesn't detract from the core of the more, solid character interaction. I really enjoyed it and will see it again to see if there are other things I glossed over that might not do well in repeated viewings.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kylo gets hit in the kidney or whatever by Chewbaccas bow lasers and is opening his own wound to psych himself up like an idiot and Finn is a soldier trained presumably from childhood, Finn gets a hit in or two and has briefly used a lightsabre before in the film to clumsily kill some chafftroopers, even so Finn gets pretty soundly clowned by the sith equivalent of draco malfoy.

I didn't think too much of the film, though it had its moments here and there, but the lightsabre fights were good camerawork aside and I like Finn and wish we got to slow down and spend some time finding out about the life of a storm trooper. Him and Poe had easily the best chemistry in the film and he's pretty drat adorable as the little stormtrooper who wouldn't.

I feel like there was probably a really good movie in there that got turned into a really profitable decent movie along the way, I'm no Star Wars megafan but even I quickly lost count of the references, the whole movie is one big reference apart from the odd bits and peices - and those bits are the best. I also got an uncanny Crystal Skull vibe from Han and Leia.

The biggest let down for me was how the movie basically resets the stage back to New Hope, with the plucky rebels fighting for freedom agains the all powerful empire instead of going anywhere new. I'm sure in the worldbuilding fluff the situation is more complex and it sounds like the First Order were intended to be a sort of reformed hardcore of the empire but it doesn't come off that way, they still have star destroyers and seem an as big if not bigger threat than before.

To end I'll say I liked the scene early on where Ray is cleaning her find with a rag sitting across from a weathered old lady doing the same thing and nobody came up and said "hey Ray thats you if you don't get out of here, do you get it?" that was surprisingly classy film-making possibly undermined by a later scene where Finn acts out Leia's bit at the end of Empire Strikes Back only with JJ's trademark shouting.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Nion posted:

Finn being able to fight with a lightsaber with no training would be a quite strong indication that he's very force sensitive, if not for the fact that never having wielded a lightsaber before seems to have become a non-issue.

I thought they made a point of showing that Finn's light saber tactics were really clumsy, he was just swinging it around like an idiot and trying to impale people.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

I also got an uncanny Crystal Skull vibe from Han and Leia.

Oh poo poo, yeah.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Milky Moor posted:

Honestly, it's not great. Beyond the themes and motifs that are classic ones, I can't think of any parts where the soundtrack wowed me - and I usually love soundtracks. But I'm of the opinion that most of Williams' prequel soundtrack wasn't particularly good either.
I bought the CD after leaving the cinema, and it's a pretty serviceable work. Very Star-Warsy. There are some sweet bits like Rey's theme, which I think really served her introduction scenes well. My complaint was that there are no new themes that really stuck in my mind.

Remember the battle with Darth Maul, Order 66, and Padmé's theme from the OT? Those are standout pieces that I would recognize anywhere. There was nothing like that in TFA.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 17, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kurzon posted:

Remember the battle with Darth Maul, Order 66, and Padmé's theme from the OT? Those are standout pieces that I would recognize anywhere. There was nothing like that in the PT.

Uh I think you had a typo or two in here.

Anyway John Williams did some amazing work with the PT. The problem is that the scenes in which the amazing music is heard are all lousy and most importantly unmemorable. When you hear music from the OT you immediately see in your mind the binary suns, the asteroid belt, or the death star. You recall the amazing music with the amazing scenes, creating a real lasting impression. I'd put some of the pieces of music from TPM and RoTS against anything from the OT, its just that they don't stick with us as much because they basically exist in a vacuum as good music.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The PT movies might not have worked as movies, but they did have some well framed scenes, that are very memorably, as memorably as scenes from the OT. Darth Maul framed in the hallway on Naboo, switching on the lightsaber before the duel; them escaping Darth Maul on Tatooine; slicing open the bridge doors on the Federation ship with lightsabers; the Republic Fleet and Clone Troopers departing; Anakin on the speeder searching for his mother; Anakin going to the Jedi Temple to murder a bunch of kids to name a few.
I'm somewhat annoyed how it's the hip and right thing to declare everything about the PT as a whole as trash on the Internet, throwing out the few good things with the mediocre and bad ones.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I like the shot in AOTC where Anakin is talking to Padme before he goes off to murder all the Sand People and you just see their shadows.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

When the First Order 360 no-scopes that planet, do they take out anyone of note?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

How many lensflares were there?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

smoobles posted:

I thought they made a point of showing that Finn's light saber tactics were really clumsy, he was just swinging it around like an idiot and trying to impale people.
Trying to impale people sounds like great tactics to me.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Ramadu posted:

Zero that I noticed. Also very little shakycam.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

sinking belle posted:

Zero that I noticed. Also very little shakycam.

Are we sure JJ Abrams directed this?

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
I loved the idea that Kylo was getting "tempted" by the light side of the force, and was obviously having trouble dealing with his personal balance. Such a contrast to Luke's development in ROTJ, being tempted but mirrored.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Some random splattering of thoughts right after coming out of seeing it:

I definitely enjoyed it. A lot of the problems people pointed out here (like the map thing) I thought about and they aren't ideal but aren't movie deal breakers. I think the main thing that bugged me was just how fast paced it was...it was just all action all the time with very little time to just sit and digest for awhile. Hopefully the next one will be a bit more of that and fill in some gaps. I think it hurt accepting some of the relationships forming in the movie. Mostly Rey and Finn as well as Finn and Poe. Finn and Poe embrace like they are long lost best friends. I guess I just wanted to see a bit more to get both those relationships to the point we end up seeing them as.

I thought some of the actor's performances were great. Kylo chucking tantrums which had Storm Troopers all "oh god lets get out of here he's throwing the toys out of the cradle again" was great. His confrontation with Han was great. I liked him as a deeply flawed and inept villain. His ineptitude and inexperience in some ways made him more unpredictable and dangerous at times. Boyega was rad as was Poe. I actually wanted to see more of them together as best bros, just not best bros after knowing each other for 3mins. Ridley was great as Rey. Her, Boyega and guy who played Poe had some great funny little moments.

Phasma was a waste as has been noted. Hopefully does more in later movies but was a total non entity in this one.

Overall, yeah I did enjoy it, it did feel like ANH2.0 but that wasn't so bad. It played it safe for the most part. Hopefully the next couple will diverge a bit more. When it ended it did leave me going "I don't want to wait another 2 years for the next part!" So I guess that's a good sign.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

thepokey posted:

Finn and Poe embrace like they are long lost best friends. I guess I just wanted to see a bit more to get both those relationships to the point we end up seeing them as.
I will say that the Finalizer escape sequence did more to make me believe they would end up as good buds than the whole three films Lucas had to establish Anakin and Obi Wan.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Ramadu posted:

There was one really obvious one

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Ras Het posted:

I also really wish Rey just got her jedi powers out of nowhere and isn't a secret Skywalker, cos that would be the sort of brazen twist that the mythology really needs.

That would actually be great. The whole series seems so much like it's building up to finding out who her parents are, that it'd actually be more interesting to find out they were just random space peasants.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I actually liked Han's death, where he takes that last moment to touch his son's face. I thought it was a nice touch. It'll be pretty boring if all the original cast all dies out in the film though by the end of the series.

I honestly wouldnt mind this, seeing as I cared way more about any of the new characters than I did about Leia or Solo. Except Chewie of course, everyone loves Chewie

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I'm kinda bummed that Han died instead of Leia because I actually think Ford was putting in a much stronger performance than Fisher, who will probably be hanging around for another movie or two

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Her parents were Luke and Leia. Inbreeding between two people strong with the force causes offspring exponentially strong with the force.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

I'm kinda bummed that Han died instead of Leia because I actually think Ford was putting in a much stronger performance than Fisher, who will probably be hanging around for another movie or two

Yeah Ford seemed like he was having a blast which is a stark contrast with most of his recent movies where he looks bored and sick of it all, it made his performance a lot of fun. Meanwhile Carrie was just kinda there. I dont think Harrison would have enjoyed it so much if he didnt know it was his final goodbye to the Star Wars franchise though

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

smoobles posted:

Her parents were Luke and Leia. Inbreeding between two people strong with the force causes offspring exponentially strong with the force.

Also explains why she had to be hidden.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Best part of the movie is the aliens. They look so much better than the CGI crapfest from the prequels

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The junkyard and the cantina were so great. Really lovingly crafted stuff.

also Nien Nunb!! yeah!!!

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 17, 2015

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

babypolis posted:

Best part of the movie is the aliens. They look so much better than the CGI crapfest from the prequels
Nien Nunb (was it him?!) looked a little off but yeah I loved all the aliens. I could done with a few more classic races like the Rodians or Duros, but still great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

babypolis posted:

I honestly wouldnt mind this, seeing as I cared way more about any of the new characters than I did about Leia or Solo. Except Chewie of course, everyone loves Chewie

The part where Chewie apparently blows himself up as a big gently caress You was surprising and great and fit his character pretty well. Obviously completely out of the tone but if I expected one Star Wars character just go all Samson it would have been Chewie.

Too bad he just had to survive. On the other hand he seemed to have this weird thing called "attempt at characterization" going on so vOv

• Locked thread