Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
This is for an extremely restrictive lighting assignment I had to do for college.

Two halves of eggs.

Soft-Light-Split-1 by Niamh O'Donovan, on Flickr

Some feedback I have received.
"cool egs"
and
"They look angry with each other."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
clean thy sensor.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

powderific posted:

Does anyone have speedlight compatible softboxes they like? I have an impact quickbox that's OK, but doesn't quite fit my SB910 with Pocketwizard TT5. The softbox part also falls off the ring thing easily. On the other hand, it's proven to be pretty sturdy and it's super fast to setup.

I recently got this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JQ30OTE

It does a fabulous job and I can use whatever speed-light / modifier combination I want without having to worry of bulking it up with the TT5 or external power cables etc etc.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

timrenzi574 posted:

If you want battery operated hotshoe flash:

TTL? Yongnuo 568EXII
Manual? Yongnuo 560III

If you want cheap monolights:

Godox makes several low budget models

I'm getting into more portraits (indoor and outdoor) and will be purchasing babby's first lighting kit. The speedlight I've been looking at is this Altura, but hell if I can't find any reliable information on the thing outside of Amazon reviews.

Anybody have experience with this, and is it comparable to the Yongnuo TTL? What am I missing for shaving 20% off of an already-discounted flash?

http://www.amazon.com/Altura-Photo-E-TTL-Flash-Includes/dp/B00HK0A6LQ

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Is there a reason http://www.amazon.com/Calumet-Genes...calumet+genesis is so cheap? My roommate just bought one is and is urging me to, but i just don't trust something that powerful and good looking on paper for that cheap. Didn't Calumet go out of business? Is it a good deal? Before i heard of this i was thinking of going for http://www.paulcbuff.com/b800.php

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Nameless Dread posted:

Is there a reason http://www.amazon.com/Calumet-Genes...calumet+genesis is so cheap? My roommate just bought one is and is urging me to, but i just don't trust something that powerful and good looking on paper for that cheap. Didn't Calumet go out of business? Is it a good deal? Before i heard of this i was thinking of going for http://www.paulcbuff.com/b800.php

Calumet is out of business, so if you have any problems with the unit, good luck. If it's broken out of the box you can probably return it through Amazon, beyond that, who knows. A friend of mine has some older calumet units that aren't bad, but his plan is to junk them when they finally bite the bullet.

You're better off with the B800's, they're cheap on the used market and have a fairly constant value so you won't take too much of a bath if you decide to upgrade later. Newly manufactured units have better airflow through the case which is only a problem if you use the modeling light constantly, and supposedly fixed the purple cast issue which is intermittent at best. The only thing I don't like about PCB lights is the mount, heavier modifiers can fall off the spring-loaded catches.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Nameless Dread posted:

I don't know I was thinking of getting a couple of them because they are crazy cheap. I figured a hundred bucks is nothing considering I paid $75 for my old white lightning with less power.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
They are probably godox's. Most of the cheap strobes on the market are godox with another companies name stuck on them - I have some of their "smart" series rebranded as adorama flashpoint. They work just fine (they are lights, they output light) , but are very cheaply made - the housing will explode if I dropped one I'm sure. The power control is also meh on them, and you can only turn them down to like 1/8. I usually need to throw a couple socks or ND gels over the front of them to use them in my admittedly small household space.

red19fire posted:

Calumet is out of business, so if you have any problems with the unit, good luck. If it's broken out of the box you can probably return it through Amazon, beyond that, who knows. A friend of mine has some older calumet units that aren't bad, but his plan is to junk them when they finally bite the bullet.

Why would you want to repair a 100$ light anyway? That is a disposable unit, treat as such.

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 5, 2015

red19fire
May 26, 2010

timrenzi574 posted:

Why would you want to repair a 100$ light anyway? That is a disposable unit, treat as such.

I think that $100 would better used towards something hardier like the PCB lights, even a b400. All the cheap 'disposable' equipment I've ever used has broken down at some critical time. A fool buys everything twice, you know?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

red19fire posted:

I think that $100 would better used towards something hardier like the PCB lights, even a b400. All the cheap 'disposable' equipment I've ever used has broken down at some critical time. A fool buys everything twice, you know?

If you ever have critical need for your lights, yeah, buying a disposable priced piece of flimsy junk is dumb. For sure.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
For me I have 2 speedlights and 2 300 LED videolights, I just want something larger for the couple of times a year I'd use it. I wouldn't buy a cheap light as my only light.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Well, after hearing all that, i'm tempted to stick with the alien bees. I found a b800 for $220 on KEH - sounds pretty good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Two hopefully easy questions:

1. It turns out I did a real dumb thing a while back, when I found an old school flash and popped it on the top of my D7200. I fired off a few shots but they all came out pure white so I tossed it. Turns out I could've damaged the camera with that. I'm presuming because it's worked fine since, I didn't cause any problems... but I'm not sure what issues it might have caused. I've not hooked up any flash to it since from memory, so is there a chance I have fried something? Or is it fairly rare to actually cause real damage. It was just a little Starblitz thing.

2. The YN 568 seems really cheap here these days, if I picked up one and the appropriate YN wireless triggers (622C I think?) am I generally going to be happy as a first proper flash owner? I'm following the strobist guide so would probably pick up an umbrella and stand at some point, but nothing too expansive as I've not got a studio space or anything. Essentially I'm thinking if I really dig flash work, I could always put it aside as a spare and buy some 560 IVs if I need to go multiple flash. I think having the TTL element would be useful though, to start with anyway.

Thanks

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
From what I've researched, Nikon bodies seem to have a better tolerance for high trigger voltages than others (upwards of something like 250V) so you are probably fine. It came out all white because you probably needed to use manual settings with it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hoped that would be the case. Yeah as it was just an old basic thing that probably doesn't offer much more than my pop up I never really looked into trying to take it down a bit. I have a bounce flash I used to use with my OM-1, but haven't been able to find it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
What are people's suggestions for a good ringflash these days? I have a cheap LED one that works pretty well except that it doesn't flash brightly enough to trigger a remote flash. This means I most often use it with a softbox or through an umbrella as a continuous source.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

EL BROMANCE posted:

Two hopefully easy questions:

1. It turns out I did a real dumb thing a while back, when I found an old school flash and popped it on the top of my D7200. I fired off a few shots but they all came out pure white so I tossed it. Turns out I could've damaged the camera with that. I'm presuming because it's worked fine since, I didn't cause any problems... but I'm not sure what issues it might have caused. I've not hooked up any flash to it since from memory, so is there a chance I have fried something? Or is it fairly rare to actually cause real damage. It was just a little Starblitz thing.

2. The YN 568 seems really cheap here these days, if I picked up one and the appropriate YN wireless triggers (622C I think?) am I generally going to be happy as a first proper flash owner? I'm following the strobist guide so would probably pick up an umbrella and stand at some point, but nothing too expansive as I've not got a studio space or anything. Essentially I'm thinking if I really dig flash work, I could always put it aside as a spare and buy some 560 IVs if I need to go multiple flash. I think having the TTL element would be useful though, to start with anyway.

Thanks

I recently bought the altura flash kit that includes wireless trigger and diffuser for $75. I really like it and find that most of the time I have it stepped down to 1/64, where my original concern was that it wouldn't be powerful enough. The tiny price tag allowed me to get a Limo Studio hot light kit with two umbrella stands and cfls. I tested the whole setup out the other day on a portrait session and couldn't be happier with my $128.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Helen Highwater posted:

What are people's suggestions for a good ringflash these days? I have a cheap LED one that works pretty well except that it doesn't flash brightly enough to trigger a remote flash. This means I most often use it with a softbox or through an umbrella as a continuous source.

:getin:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Let's assume I want to photograph my subject and not microwave them.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helen Highwater posted:

:confused: That looks like a normal ringflash setup plus a handle instead of a tripod :confused:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Helen Highwater posted:

What are you planning on shooting with it? Full body shots or just headshots. If you're just looking to do headshots, I would recommend an 18" continuous fluorescent one. Look on eBay, they are all over the place. These provide a different look than strobe ring lights because they allow your subject to get really close to the light source and you can stand far enough away that it won't cause distortion. The light falloff is beautiful with these lights.

If you're looking for a strobe, it all depends on your budget. Other than the Paul C Buff ABR800, ring flashes are really expensive. And the ABR800 isn't a bad deal. I have one, but I wish the reflector was bigger than 10 inches. I also wish the build quality wasn't so poor, but they have to cut costs somewhere to deliver it at that price point.

If money was no object, I'd look at one of the Hensel ones. And mainly because I believe they have the best set of modifiers available, including a 22" beauty dish reflector that you shoot through. The look is wonderful.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 13, 2015

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Helen Highwater posted:

Assuming you want a "ringflash look" , this is what you'd be after. The little dinky things are meant for macro - looks great inches away, looks like any other speedlight when you are further than that. Size matters

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Which one is that, btw?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Which one is that, btw?

Profoto wide soft reflector. it's like a white beauty dish that attaches to the ringflash. Trying to track down the silver version, it's a little more directional.

For a cheap-ish ringflash, hensel uses the same frame for theirs as some elinchrom models, like the ringflash ECO for the ranger quadra. So their weird mods, like the sunhaze will fit the elinchrom. The sunhaze is like a 3' umbrella that attaches to the ringflash, it's awesome but I've only ever seen dudes on internet forums use it.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

red19fire posted:

Profoto wide soft reflector. it's like a white beauty dish that attaches to the ringflash. Trying to track down the silver version, it's a little more directional.

Oh wow, that's actually pretty compact. Is that just the head?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Oh wow, that's actually pretty compact. Is that just the head?

The camera is on the bracket, the bracket is attached to the ringflash, and then the reflector attaches to the front of the ring flash. The ringflash alone is pretty compact.

For comparison, here is the ringflash with the reflector

and without
:nws:

E: don't know if it's SALR but i'm trying to put the second photo in spoilers, hope it worked

E2: its a ProRing 7 running into a 7b2 pack. Which are relatively reasonably priced on the used market now that b4s and 8as are out. I got a 7b2 pack used from a nyc rental house, took it to profoto usa, and they said its in perfect condition.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 14, 2015

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

red19fire posted:

The camera is on the bracket, the bracket is attached to the ringflash, and then the reflector attaches to the front of the ring flash. The ringflash alone is pretty compact.

For comparison, here is the ringflash with the reflector

and without
:nws:

E: don't know if it's SALR but i'm trying to put the second photo in spoilers, hope it worked

But does the ring flash plug into a wall outlet or a pack?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Godox makes one that runs of a lithium battery now (and it's a battery that's part of the unit, rather than a dangly one) - they don't make any accessory reflectors for it yet though.

Edit: Reviews claim it is on a build quality level with their AD360/AD180 bare bulbs, not their ultra el cheapo line 99$ strobes. If that's the case, the AD360 I have is solid. Witstro AR400 is the unit

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 13, 2015

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Figured I'd give a little testimonial on the durability of the Yongnuo stuff. I was hesitant originally to pick up the 568EX II because of build quality concerns, but figured the price tag made it worth it. That was A Good Decision.

I shoot Spartan Races (obstacle race, think tough mudder / warrior dash). I was on top of an A-frame cargo net, about 15 feet up, shooting participants as they came up over the top. I had my camera in one hand (on a strap) and my 568EX II and 622 wireless trigger in my other hand. A woman came over the top and her leg connected with my hand, knocking the flash out of my hand. It fell down to the mercifully soft, thick, and tall grass below (like a prairie almost). The batteries on it and the trigger popped out and there was a fair bit of mud on it, but everything worked just fine after I found the battery door for the trigger and got all the batteries back in.

That was a few months ago. Yesterday, I was shooting another race, this time on a slightly taller A-frame cargo net -- probably closer to 20ft. I shot a bit with flash and then stowed it in my jacket pocket and climbed sideways to get another shot, and it fell out of my jacket. This time, the ground below was the warning track of the Phillies' ballpark -- much less forgiving.

The flash & trigger still work. The battery door was splayed awkwardly and doesn't close as tightly because a plastic bit broke off of it. If I shake it too vigorously, especially to the left, though, it will shut off. Squeezing it horizontally with a thumb on the battery door seems to help. I can't really fault it for that after two big falls. I've dropped it onto concrete from ~3ft a time or 2 as well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Adorama are broadcasting live on YouTube some on-set sessions (I think he said this is a new thing), and this week they're doing lighting. You can rewind it back to the start, and I can only presume they'll publish these to watch in full later as well. Has been a decent enough watch so far, it's all tethered so you can see the differences between the different flashes, positions, modifiers etc. Nothing new that I've not seen in other guides, but it's better than going between a bunch of 10 minute videos from different people on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOJm6kLYai8

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Helen Highwater posted:

Resurrecting this old post (and crossposting from the gear thread), but the orbis ring flash adapter is on sale at $129 on amazon, because they're closing down. It's well made, attaches to just about any speedlight, and is highly recommended by strobist.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2015/12/orbis-is-going-away-grab-one-for-cheap.html

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I need a portable white background set up, doesn't need to be the greatest thing in the world. Suggestions?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thoogsby posted:

I need a portable white background set up, doesn't need to be the greatest thing in the world. Suggestions?

Just bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E6GRHBO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01

Works fine. Not fantastic, a little flimsy if you put something heavy up there, but if portability is your main concern it's good. Setup is quick and easy, not too many parts.

Then throw a white muslin or something up on there and you're set.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

If youre just doing headshots you can get away with using the white side of a big reflector and a long lens.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Anyone had any experience with Godox modifiers? I picked up a Bowens gemini set for an absolute song and since they're just for personal work I can't justify the $500AUD Bowens wants for a softbox.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Anyone have experience with lower end nikon flashes (ones cheaper than the sb700?) My 700 broke and money's too tight to buy another, do the cheaper ones compare at all or will the downgrade be too noticeable? I don't do any fancy studio stuff or anything.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You'd probably be better off getting something from Yongnuo.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Thanks, went with the Yongnuo YN-568EX. Pretty well reviewed, $100 on B&H.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

TequilaJesus posted:

Thanks, went with the Yongnuo YN-568EX. Pretty well reviewed, $100 on B&H.

I have one of those but I dropped it once and now I have to keep the battery door closed with tape but otherwise it's a great flash!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

XTimmy posted:

Anyone had any experience with Godox modifiers? I picked up a Bowens gemini set for an absolute song and since they're just for personal work I can't justify the $500AUD Bowens wants for a softbox.

I have godox octagons umbrella softboxes (32" and 40") they're solid in my opinion.

Actually, some of my video rig gear is also godox. For lower end budget, it's been pretty good.

• Locked thread