Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ironically I forgot the see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
That movie just weirds me out because if you've read the book, you know that it's primarily about a bunch of guys whose ship goes down, and all the terrible things they have to do to survive as they drift in the ocean....whereas the movie seems to be heavily playing up the "evil whale nemesis" angle, just because the story inspired Moby Dick.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cowslips Warren posted:

So In the Heart of the Sea looks like a bomb.

But it's a movie about loving whaling. Not even Thor can save that poo poo. Who the hell thought, after all the garbage from Blackfish and The Cove, that people wanted to see a movie where whaling is the way of life?

Needed more sharks.

Our sharks.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Mister Nobody posted:

I'm pretty sure Hinx and the other guy were just contract killers auditioning for the job as spectre's premier assassin.

The thumbnail thing was really weird though, I definitely thought we would have seen more of that.

Zaphod42 posted:

I kept waiting for him to come back later in the film, but nope. I guess he died at the train. Seemed too comical for such a big henchman to be his way to die. I'd love it if he showed up at the end and Bond was like "you AGAIN?"

Also I thought it was really weird how he killed him by poking his eyes out, but the guy didn't scream or fight back or anything. But then I guess it ended up being a thing because the villain goes on about how the guy knew he was dead already or whatever. But that just seems really silly and stupid and also complete bullshit.

You're probably right, Mr Nobody. The other dude had been sitting at the end table for the whole meeting and the fact he didn't fight back seemed like he was more an evil paper pusher than an assassin.

The trailer for In the Heart of the Sea played when I saw Spectre. At first I thought they had massacred Moby Dick and added a romantic subplot (the only romantic subplot should be Queequeg and Ishmael) then it seemed like it was historical, but finished looking like they tried to do Moby Dick without doing Moby Dick - ugh.

Somebody should do Moby Dick, but with all the whale fun facts from the book - like have a dude dressed as Herman Melville reading all those whale quotes for 30 minutes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Moby dick was boring as gently caress. So was the scarlet letter.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

Somebody should do Moby Dick, but with all the whale fun facts from the book - like have a dude dressed as Herman Melville reading all those whale quotes for 30 minutes.
Also needs a scene devoted to eating some dope chowder.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Moby dick was boring as gently caress. So was the scarlet letter.

The 1995 Scarlett Letter they showed us in high school had Demi Moore.

I would take a red sharpie to the forehead for her iykwim

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

syscall girl posted:

The 1995 Scarlett Letter they showed us in high school had Demi Moore.

I would take a red sharpie to the forehead for her iykwim

Demi Moore argued that it didn't matter that they changed the ending of the book for her film because "nobody has read the book anyway."

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I want to see it too. The book it's based on was really good, plus I'll watch Cillian Murphy do literally anything.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Patattack posted:

That movie just weirds me out because if you've read the book, you know that it's primarily about a bunch of guys whose ship goes down, and all the terrible things they have to do to survive as they drift in the ocean....whereas the movie seems to be heavily playing up the "evil whale nemesis" angle, just because the story inspired Moby Dick.

From what I understand, the whale's only in the movie for 10 minutes to gently caress poo poo up and the rest of the movie deals with the horrible things they do to survive in a PG-13 manner

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You know, it's overplayed but I have no hate for allstar. It's like Superman (Here I am~... getting stronger all the time~...) in the Tony Hawk games, it plays way too often, but it's somewhat catchy. It just triggers nostalgia buttons for me.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

BioEnchanted posted:

You know, it's overplayed but I have no hate for allstar. It's like Superman (Here I am~... getting stronger all the time~...) in the Tony Hawk games, it plays way too often, but it's somewhat catchy. It just triggers nostalgia buttons for me.

I hate that I read this thread in work and then I get it stuck on my head all day because I can't listen to anything else to scrub it from my brain.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

ChogsEnhour posted:

I hate that I read this thread in work and then I get it stuck on my head all day because I can't listen to anything else to scrub it from my brain.

Sorry...

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Old Smashmouth actually owns, the real tragedy is that everything used All Star instead of branching out to some of their other tracks.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I liked Walkin' on the Sun when it came out & I still listen to it sometimes. :blush:

The riff is based on this btw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJQPP6AEnnw

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Inzombiac posted:

Ugh yeah. I didn't like First Avenger all that much the first time and I only like it now because it sets up so many important things for the movie universe.

That being said, Winter Soldier is my favorite spy thriller.

Totally agree, I don't get the hate for winter soldier, I've watched it like 5 times now and it hasn't gotten old even once.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I have never seen hate for TWS

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I liked Walkin' on the Sun when it came out & I still listen to it sometimes. :blush:

The riff is based on this btw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJQPP6AEnnw

Fush Yu Mang was a decent album for sure, Astro Lounge was okay but the beginning of the end, and garbage after that.

I remember being really into walkin' on the sun and the fonz and pet names and their cover of why can't we be friends.

And then Road Man was pretty chill, and then the morning comes was really good too.

But everybody just played All Star instead :smith:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This isn't really irrational, but I was watching Die Hard last night for the first time in years. Are the shots of the FBI rolling in on the Nakatomi Plaza the same set/building that was in Terminator 2 when Arnold, Sarah and John were trying to fight their way out of Skylab headquarters?

It sure looked the same.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Star Wars Force Awakens question. Why the gently caress do we see Ren's face? Part of the aura of Darth loving Vader was never seeing how much of a human he was left. Instead for Kylo Ren we see his full face. Maybe it's supposed to imply he can still be saved from the Dark Side but it felt really dumb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BiggerBoat posted:

This isn't really irrational, but I was watching Die Hard last night for the first time in years. Are the shots of the FBI rolling in on the Nakatomi Plaza the same set/building that was in Terminator 2 when Arnold, Sarah and John were trying to fight their way out of Skylab headquarters?

It sure looked the same.

The Die Hard building (Nakitomi Plaza) is a real life building known as the Fox Plaza https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Plaza_(Los_Angeles)

Not sure if it was in T2 but I could believe it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BiggerBoat posted:

It sure looked the same.

If it was then you are getting the order wrong. Die Had came out in 88 Terminator 2 in 91

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

Star Wars Force Awakens question. Why the gently caress do we see Ren's face? Part of the aura of Darth loving Vader was never seeing how much of a human he was left. Instead for Kylo Ren we see his full face. Maybe it's supposed to imply he can still be saved from the Dark Side but it felt really dumb.

Precisely the reason. I think it first happens after his scene where he admits being torn and conflicted. Taking off the helmet is supposed to be a sign of weakness in his evil side. So he takes it off when he loses the force battle with Rey and when he's supposed to be turning good again. Having the masked scary villain lose to a tied up prisoner would be probably feel more dumb.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

If it was then you are getting the order wrong. Die Had came out in 88 Terminator 2 in 91

Nakatomi Plaza was nearly a skyscraper and Skynet or whatever its precursor was called was housed in a relatively dumpy office building.

Cameron had the building rebuilt to blow up again because the first take wasn't splodey enough :allears:

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's because He's not Vader. He's a stupid punk kid who's trying to be Vader, but only has the wear a mask and threaten defenseless people part down. He throws tantrums when he loses and nobody in the First Order respects him. He's a dumb kid who got seduced by power, he's not Vader. Not yet. It's going to be interesting to see how his arc plays out.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Star Wars spoilers.

If you want to see how much of an actual poo poo-carter Ren is, look at how he light sabre duels two people who are utterly untrained, and they're just about as good as him anyway. He's not supposed to be Vader, he's supposed to be Diet Vader - just one calorie, not Vader enough

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Memento posted:

Star Wars spoilers.

If you want to see how much of an actual poo poo-carter Ren is, look at how he light sabre duels two people who are utterly untrained, and they're just about as good as him anyway. He's not supposed to be Vader, he's supposed to be Diet Vader - just one calorie, not Vader enough

More spoilers

He sucks at lightsaber duelling because he is about as trained as Finn and Ray. Only difference between him and Rey is that he was told he had powers earlier and learned a couple neat tricks before Snoke got a hold of him. It's why he's summoned back to 'finish his training' at the end, just like Rey is about to start hers with Luke.

Ren is MEANT to be poo poo and just a vague reference to the old ways.

Basically I'm agreeing with you, just adding more to it.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Memento posted:

Star Wars spoilers.

In fairness, he did have a laser hole through his spleen.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

syscall girl posted:

Nakatomi Plaza was nearly a skyscraper and Skynet or whatever its precursor was called was housed in a relatively dumpy office building.

Cameron had the building rebuilt to blow up again because the first take wasn't splodey enough :allears:

I know but the way these particular scenes were cropped you'd never know it wasn't a skyscraper. I'll try to dig up some screen shots and show you guys what I'm talking about. Also, I wasn't worried about the order. I just wondered if it was the same building/set.

edit:

T2:

Around the 1:20 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrbXU1rsxUY

Die Hard:

Around the 11:15 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0r-yl72_gE

Looks like they were different but the lighting and the nature of the action sure looked and felt the same.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Dec 18, 2015

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

dpack_1 posted:

More spoilers

He sucks at lightsaber duelling because he is about as trained as Finn and Ray. Only difference between him and Rey is that he was told he had powers earlier and learned a couple neat tricks before Snoke got a hold of him. It's why he's summoned back to 'finish his training' at the end, just like Rey is about to start hers with Luke.

Ren is MEANT to be poo poo and just a vague reference to the old ways.

Basically I'm agreeing with you, just adding more to it.

I had to stifle a laugh when he first took of his mask. I thought it was a total casting miss-step having some mop headed puke be the big bad.
Then the rest of the movie played out and I realized it was great. He's supposed to be some little jerk who is in WAY over his head. Even the very young general thinks he's a joke. The power hierarchy was unclear. Kylo/Ben's role in the First Order seemed like, "Spoopy d00d we send out to kill fools and scare the locals. Y'know, like his grandpappy."
I really hope they pull a Zuko and bring him back into the Light by the end of the second movie.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also needs a scene devoted to eating some dope chowder.

Also open with a dude going to bed in a hotel and waking up with a big burly stranger spooning him.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sleeveless posted:

Also open with a dude going to bed in a hotel and waking up with a big burly stranger spooning him.

Just as long as there's no rear end-/pillow-fisting.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Why is starwars filled with so many robots that understand English but can only make beeping noises?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

R2D2 at least is like a ship maintenance droid originally, so he doesn't need to talk.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

More importantly, how do humans understand the robot beeping language?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Inzombiac posted:

I had to stifle a laugh when he first took of his mask. I thought it was a total casting miss-step having some mop headed puke be the big bad.
Then the rest of the movie played out and I realized it was great. He's supposed to be some little jerk who is in WAY over his head. Even the very young general thinks he's a joke. The power hierarchy was unclear. Kylo/Ben's role in the First Order seemed like, "Spoopy d00d we send out to kill fools and scare the locals. Y'know, like his grandpappy."
I really hope they pull a Zuko and bring him back into the Light by the end of the second movie.

I saw it more like a reference to A New Hope withVader seeming to be second to Tarkin. I also loved when Kylo had the tantrum and the stormtroopers back away like this nothing new and you don't want to see what happens when you get in the middle of it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

Why is starwars filled with so many robots that understand English but can only make beeping noises?

Those beeping noises are a noble alien language.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rurea posted:

More importantly, how do humans understand the robot beeping language?
I used to ask myself the same thing, but then I started spending time around modern phones. Wide ranges of nearly identical beeps that if you've had one for a while you can immediately tell mean "e-mail for you" or "battery's almost empty" or "hey walk over here for no good reason." I guess over a long enough timespan...

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Re: Star Wars

I do agree that Ren was by the end supposed to be a dumb kid in over his head, which isn't an unrealistic idea if he's a spoiled brat teenager with too much power running around. That said, I had to laugh when Han and Leia are all wound up that "he's got too much Vader in him", and then he's revealed to be another pasty, whining, emo doofus with a bad haircut and mommy/daddy issues, which I interpreted as a very solid callback to the prequel trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

More Star Wars:

I dunno about Rey and Finn being completely untrained in melee weapons. Stormtroopers has some training (electro tonfa guy) and Rey beats up two dudes with her staff near the beginning.