Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Why aren't there Jedi ghosts about like at the end of VI? Then Anakin could tell Kyro to stop being a loser with his old helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Kaedric posted:

Really wish people would stop saying this. Movies can have flaws! I am not hearing a whole lot of people making GBS threads on the movie just yet so I don't think we have to throw up our hands and go "UGH NERDS ARE NEVER HAPPY"
Im referring to the already recurrent criticism that the series is only being retold for a new generation, rather than being full of fresh and visionary ideas. I think it's an easy criticism to make because this movie was never going to be that.

But Abrams handled the challenges that the franchise presents remarkably well and delivered a final product that set up the final two films, while also introducing new viewers to the franchise, and looking back to the previous ones. It's hard to imagine any other narrative arc that could have done this as satisfyingly as the one that he and the other writers have created.

My biggest gripe with the film is that the pacing is such that we're not allowed to linger enough on important moments and the relationships aren't given enough time to build in weight. Cutting the expensive and obnoxiously obvious Nazi march scene and its accoutrement may have freed up more time to develop the attachment between Finn and Rey, which was underdeveloped and left the characters feeling like they were behaving according to a script rather than adhering to natural motivations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hammerstein posted:

We cannot thank Abrams enough for wiping out the poo poo stain of the EU in one swift superlaser blast.

Allow me to remind you:

You better not be dissing the book that brought us Dark Greetings

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

You better not be dissing the book that brought us Dark Greetings

Are those whales? What is it with sci-fi and whales?

I'm not a Star Wars fan and have no affection for the series but I enjoyed this one, it was just downright fun to watch. The combat was always interesting because it didn't outstay its welcome, so it didn't get boring. I really appreciated the scenes where they showed Rey to be incredibly capable early on, Finn rushing to help her and then stopping in surprise when he sees that she had it under control, and the 'I know how to run without you holding my hand!' stuff was both funny and really drat nice to see. I kinda groaned inwardly when she was captured and the rescue mission began, but was pleasantly surprised that she had that under control too, though I didn't really understand why she could suddenly do all the jedi tricks so well. Maybe that'll be addressed later or maybe it just came down to 'it's cool!', whatever, didn't mind it.

Kylo Ren has a huge nose. :)

Wish there'd been more Phasma!

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

kiimo posted:

Leia never got her lady parts turned into a waterfall by a lizard-man's overpowering pheromones
I want to know the book where this happens. For research purposes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Phantom Menace is done. Seriously I don't why this movie gets so much hate. Jar Jar is annoying, yes, but the action scenes are top notch. Good times.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Kurzon posted:

I want to know the book where this happens. For research purposes.

I think it's Shadows of the Empire. It's the only Star Wars comic I ever read and that lizardman/leia thing sounds vaguely familiar

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
Just came back from the midnight screening. The movie is good, as long as you don't think too much about it.

Also, Am I the only one bothered at how the movie treats the speed of light? Everyone gets to see the destruction of the Republic, a system that should be light years away, almost immediatly after happening. I can buy that the Starkiller ray travels at hyperspeed, but not the light from the explosion

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Krowley posted:

I think it's Shadows of the Empire. It's the only Star Wars comic I ever read and that lizardman/leia thing sounds vaguely familiar
The bad guy in it wants to replace Vader as Sheev's boy toy, and has reptile sex stink that arouses the hew-mon female. The idea of an alien which has become a sort of mimic/parasite of humanity but isn't necessarily some cannibal monster has some potential. Xizor just sex farts at Leia, until Chewie is like "Really, Leia?"

Then

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jivjov posted:

Phantom Menace is done. Seriously I don't why this movie gets so much hate. Jar Jar is annoying, yes, but the action scenes are top notch. Good times.

Because people basically wanted a remake of ANH, except Luke going to dark side instead of the light at the end.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

El Chingon posted:

Just came back from the midnight screening. The movie is good, as long as you don't think too much about it.

That's a damning criticism.

When will people turn against J.J Abrams and his endless stream of mediocre tripe?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

starry skies above posted:

I disagree. There are awkward story holes, but god drat it is a fun movie in the spirit of Star Wars.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

starry skies above posted:

When will people turn against J.J Abrams and his endless stream of mediocre tripe?

Probably not just after he has made a very good and enjoyable movie which happens to be a respectable resurrection of a beloved series.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
It doesn't have to be The Shawshank Redemption, I just don't want it to be pedestrian. If it has all the triggers that makes me feel like I'm watching a Star Wars movie, is a reasonable continuation of the OT, and has enough overall quality and uniqueness that it rises above "generic action movie with a Star Wars re-skin", I'll be happy.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 17, 2015

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

-Blackadder- posted:

It doesn't have to be The Shawshank Redemption, I just don't want it to be pedestrian. If it has all the triggers that makes me feel like I'm watching a Star Wars movie, is a reasonable continuation of the OT, and has a decent amount of overall quality, I'll be happy.

you'll be happy

E: you will be. You. Will. Be...

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 17, 2015

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Kylo is seriously great.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Because people basically wanted a remake of ANH, except Luke going to dark side instead of the light at the end.

No its because its a really boring and bad movie. Also the CGI aged horribly

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

-Blackadder- posted:

It doesn't have to be The Shawshank Redemption, I just don't want it to be pedestrian. If it has all the triggers that makes me feel like I'm watching a Star Wars movie, is a reasonable continuation of the OT, and has enough overall quality and uniqueness that it rises above "generic action movie with a Star Wars re-skin", I'll be happy.

That's how the PT felt to me.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

sinking belle posted:

... but I didn't buy Maz/Han at all during their scenes. Not sure why.

Reports were they had to remove most of the scenes between Maz and Han as Lupita Nyong couldn't get the hang of portraying a 3D generated character, so her performance was poo poo.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Davros1 posted:

That's how the PT felt to me.

Good for you but that's not a widely shared sentiment

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

ukle posted:

Reports were they had to remove most of the scenes between Maz and Han as Lupita Nyong couldn't get the hang of portraying a 3D generated character, so her performance was poo poo.

Those weren't true.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

ukle posted:

Didn't JJ come out and say that was false?

edit: yeah that^^^

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ukle posted:

Sounds implausible on its face, really

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

-Blackadder- posted:

it's a reasonable continuation of the original trilogy in the main story, and it's a great continuation of the original trilogy in literally every other department

ranking these movies, i'd probably go with empire, new hope, force awakens, return of the jedi and don't even bother with the prequels because they're irrelevant now

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
And we're through Attack of the Clones. Probably the weakest of the saga. The story beats are all fine, but everything between Anakin and Padme is just cringeworthy. I can get behind their love story...but the writing and direction is just plain bad in those scenes.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Just finished watching it, and yeah that was actually a good Star Wars movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just got back from seeing TFA, it didn't blow my socks off but it didn't disappoint either. It felt like a bridging film to me, strategically giving respect and acknowledgement to the original trilogy and setting the audience up for the films that will follow (so 100% what I was expecting in that regard). I'll probably go see it again with some friends and I'll be looking forwards to Eps 8 and 9 and the other films but on the other hand I won't be rushing out the get a BB-8 tattoo.

There was a whooooole bunch of people in costumes at my screening which was actually really great to see. Mostly lots of kids running around in costumes with their toy lightsabres.

Hakkesshu posted:

Also gently caress this gay forum for spoiling Han's death, even if you saw it coming as soon as he went to confront his son

It was also flagged pretty hard when Rey proved she was capable of flying and maintaining the Falcon and Han offered her a job. We've got a replacement for Han, looks like we don't need the old one any more!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Also in the middle of a marathon screening. AOTC just finished. Weirdly was better than I remember. Pacing was definately better than Phantom Menace. TPM also has not aged well. Some of he cg looked absolutely terrible on the big screen in hd.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I just have to say aswell that I'm really happy with how 7 turned out. I'm not sure right now whether it's I, II, & III which really set the bar really, really low, but overall it was a great movie with actual plot, characters, and emotions so it's above and beyond the prequels.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pops Mgee posted:

Also in the middle of a marathon screening. AOTC just finished. Weirdly was better than I remember. Pacing was definately better than Phantom Menace. TPM also has not aged well. Some of he cg looked absolutely terrible on the big screen in hd.

TPM cg ages horrible on small screens too. The worst offenders are battle scenes where the land has no detail and the sky looks oddly static. The mass dispalys of combatants really looks CTRL-P.

Ironically I'd say Kung Fury has better CGI...of course that was a result of massive leaps in tech and processing power...though it also makes uses of the CTRL-P method of crowd generation (it catches a break for being a parody).

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I have one important question for people who have seen TFA: does the film use wipe transitions?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gfanikf posted:

TPM cg ages horrible on small screens too. The worst offenders are battle scenes where the land has no detail and the sky looks oddly static.

You're right that that is horrible CGI because it isn't CGI.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Zoran posted:

I have one important question for people who have seen TFA: does the film use wipe transitions?

yeah, there's a fuckload of them too, especially when it cuts to a space shot

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Zoran posted:

Yes.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Zoran posted:

But they are not the most annoying transitions. That prize goes to the last sequence of crossfades when Rey goes to Luke

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ThePutty posted:

yeah, there's a fuckload of them too, especially when it cuts to a space shot

Excellent.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

computer parts posted:

You're right that that is horrible CGI because it isn't CGI.

I'm referring to interactions between the combatants and the landscape, not that the land and sky are CGI.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gfanikf posted:

I'm referring to interactions between the combatants and the landscape, not that the land and sky are CGI.

Oh, apologies, because some people thought the land actually was CGI ("It's like a Windows XP background!") .

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

It does look like that though, real or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

computer parts posted:

Oh, apologies, because some people thought the land actually was CGI ("It's like a Windows XP background!") .

From what I can gather the photos of the Marin hillsides were combined with digital matte paintings so most of the landscape was made using real photos but it was partly digital.
Edit: apparently the photos of the Marin county hills were also digitally altered, partly accidentally. :v:

quote:

Dennis Muren went out with a camera into the Marin county hills and shot moving and still footage with a small ILM crew. However, when they got back from their shoot, they realized they had lenses on the cameras had created an squeezed look(is the only way I can put it) to the landscape. They were talking about reshooting it but then Muren said "wait, it looks otherworldly and it's just subtle enough". So they kept it. So most of the landscape and skies was based on film and still camera photography. They also shot grassy hillsides and grass they would then piece into shots as needed.
Source (dunno where they got the story, take it as you will)

Here's some examples of photos from the area and how they looked on screen after they were digitally composited togethers:

Also here's a couple hundred photos of the practical effects in the Prequels:
http://boards.theforce.net/threads/practical-effects-in-the-prequels-sets-pictures-models-etc.50017310/
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-prequels-miniatures/
It turns out that a bunch of ships and other things which I'd always assumed were CGI were actually miniatures which just looked CGI on screen. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 17, 2015

• Locked thread