Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I kinda wish we had stuck with the part of Uncanny X-Men 600 where everyone's sick of Beast's poo poo. He's off with the Inhumans now so at least he's quarantined from the X-Men books but in EXM, Storm was acting like everyone's cool with Beast again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

Hickman's handling of Young Beast was also really good.
I just checked--the stuff I was thinking of specifically was in fact written by Hickman.

I still like the idea of young "I got this" Hank better than beaten-down, failure-after-failure older Hank. Now I want Maria Hill and young Hank to team up together and they become best friends for life and they set up a standard Wednesday night drink session to bitch about older Hank.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 7, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really hate those bubble goggles the X-Kids got.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Endless Mike posted:

I really hate those bubble goggles the X-Kids got.

It's almost as dumb as the Adam Jensen look X-Factor is sporting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't realize X-Factor was still a thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
X-factor has never not been a thing.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

There was an All-New X-Factor that started in 2014 I think. I don't remember anything from it other than a major subplot being Polaris' relation with her siblings (in particular Quicksilver) just before they got retconned, Gambit was in it and had a bunch of cats, and Danger and Warlock were in it. Also something about giant robots.

I vaguely remember liking it, if that's any sort of endorsement.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DrProsek posted:

There was an All-New X-Factor that started in 2014 I think. I don't remember anything from it other than a major subplot being Polaris' relation with her siblings (in particular Quicksilver) just before they got retconned, Gambit was in it and had a bunch of cats, and Danger and Warlock were in it. Also something about giant robots.

I vaguely remember liking it, if that's any sort of endorsement.

Yeah, but wasn't that canceled?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Peter David's back?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, but wasn't that canceled?

Oh yeah, now I remember/googled to confirm: cancelled back in October of last year due to poor sales so yeah, X-Factor's not really a thing. Probably should have figured that if I remember so little about it and nobody ever talks about it, it probably did not do well :v:.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Beast was cool when he hopped around and told wacky jokes like Spider-man. I don't think anyone likes dour morally conflicted sarcastic quip Beast, regardless of his horrendous actions. I also don't think anyone likes Cat Beast or Ape Beast as looks for him.

Thanks, G-mo.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Lurdiak posted:

I also don't think anyone likes Cat Beast

Wrong.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Those two definitely post on CBR.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Jean's dead, Scott's dead, and Warren basically got a mental reset. Beast is a piece of poo poo whom nobody would miss, and Bobby is pretty boring. I would not be surprised in the slightest if the latter two were killed within the next couple of years, and the time-displaced O5 become the only O5. This lines most of them up closest with their most recent movie incarnations, too, not that Marvel really gives a poo poo about that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like Marvel would not want to kill off their newly-gay superhero anytime soon.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like Marvel would not want to kill off their newly-gay superhero anytime soon.

Why not? His younger self would still be around, still gay. Maybe he could get together with Anole, give that dude the page time he deserves. And what's Anole without his best bud Rockslide? Ah, look at that, I just made All-New All-Improved Modern Young X-Men way better.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair replacing the original five withe four boring characters and one rear end in a top hat is not a great improvement.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Diet Poison posted:

Why not? His younger self would still be around, still gay. Maybe he could get together with Anole, give that dude the page time he deserves. And what's Anole without his best bud Rockslide? Ah, look at that, I just made All-New All-Improved Modern Young X-Men way better.

Yeah, no, let's not kill off gay characters just for tidying up purposes just yet. To say nothing of how dumb "Hey, let's KILL SOMEONE" is as a shake-things-up plot point.

Anole also has a boyfriend, supposedly. gently caress only knows what happened to him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cabbit posted:

Yeah, no, let's not kill off gay characters just for tidying up purposes just yet. To say nothing of how dumb "Hey, let's KILL SOMEONE" is as a shake-things-up plot point.

Anole also has a boyfriend, supposedly. gently caress only knows what happened to him.

I thought the last time we saw him he was using the internet to find dates in Amazing X-men.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cat Beast would look best if everyone would bother to actually draw him on model OR as Chester Cheetah.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought the last time we saw him he was using the internet to find dates in Amazing X-men.

Yeah and in one of the comics (WatX vol 2, I think) he graduated. So I think it's safe to say he's a character none of the writers really give a poo poo about.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

What, no love for Brute?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

What, no love for Brute?

Why uh...did his knees need such protection?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

Yeah and in one of the comics (WatX vol 2, I think) he graduated. So I think it's safe to say he's a character none of the writers really give a poo poo about.

Until its time to put him on a bus.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Diet Poison posted:

Anole or Anole's boyfriend? Because Anole was just in Extraordinary X-Men-- not doing a ton, but you know, around.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

redbackground posted:

And if the front ones need that much, why don't the back ones have any?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

redbackground posted:

lol if you aren't rocking this exact outfit to the office every day

NmareBfly posted:

And if the front ones need that much, why don't the back ones have any?

Because those are his heels! :eng101:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

redbackground posted:

Nineties.

Raife
Feb 2, 2004

Every time someone mentions the absurdity of the 90s, I just want to post a picture of Adam X The X-Treme. Cause that was the most 90s thing X-Men ever did.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Raife posted:

Every time someone mentions the absurdity of the 90s, I just want to post a picture of Adam X The X-Treme. Cause that was the most 90s thing X-Men ever did.

Possibly NSFW, but you've given me all the excuse I need to post this Adam X The XXX-Treme commission Erica Henderson did: https://www.instagram.com/p/8kBd7doTf1/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Metalshark posted:

Possibly NSFW, but you've given me all the excuse I need to post this Adam X The XXX-Treme commission Erica Henderson did: https://www.instagram.com/p/8kBd7doTf1/

I like how someones asking if this was done for Chip Zdarsky. I can believe it.

"A flaming Wolverine is scarier than a normal Wolverine!"

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 17, 2015

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I used to really like Adam X in the 90's, for some reason. I still consider him the 3rd Summers brother and not Vulcan.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

"A flaming Wolverine is scarier than a normal Wolverine!"
Yeah, that was funny, but it fell flat because it sounds like something someone would say about Wolverine. Like, I could see Deadpool saying that to Logan before setting him on fire in a team-up. Laura talking about herself in the third person doesn't seem like something she'd do.

Ugh, she should have just appeared in Avengers Undercover if Hopeless was going to end up writing her either way. At least she might not hve gotten quite so Bendis'd, and we'd have avoided the Laura/ScottWarren plotline.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
But she wasn't really talking about herself, she was talking about "Wolverine." She was talking about the identity that Logan created and that she's adopted, like, just a couple weeks ago from our perspective. It makes sense that she's not only still settling into the name but also treating it as a fun, intimidating new persona to embody. Like when Sam Wilson became Captain America, he talked (and still talks) about it like a separate identity, "This is what Captain America would do, this is what Captain America is like." I thought Laura's line made perfect sense in that she's trying to explain to Warren the dumbass that she was in no danger at all, that being on fire was all part of the Wolverine shtick.

I thought the issue was pretty great, really.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BrianWilly posted:

But she wasn't really talking about herself, she was talking about "Wolverine." She was talking about the identity that Logan created and that she's adopted, like, just a couple weeks ago from our perspective. It makes sense that she's not only still settling into the name but also treating it as a fun, intimidating new persona to embody. Like when Sam Wilson became Captain America, he talked (and still talks) about it like a separate identity, "This is what Captain America would do, this is what Captain America is like." I thought Laura's line made perfect sense in that she's trying to explain to Warren the dumbass that she was in no danger at all, that being on fire was all part of the Wolverine shtick.

I'll be honest, it reads more to me like she's talking way too colloquially. It was the exact same crap as when they were skiing at the start of the last issue. I mean, yeah it's carrying on from Bendis, but considering how jarring that shift was, it doesn't sit right with me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

This is how I read it too. Laura knows the value of Wolverine as an image, and knows that if she can use it to scare people into surrendering its better for both parties. People know Wolverine doesn't gently caress around, he will kill you or at least horribly maim you. By using that fear to make someone surrender without a fight it prevents her from having to kill someone and the other party from dying.

There's certainly and aspect of the Laura/Warren relationship where he's trying to be the hero, to literally swoop in and rescue her, and she's not happy with that because she knows when she's in danger and when she's not, but Warren fails to see that. She's going to need to knock that paternal instinct right out of him.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Man you know who is just the worst

Sage

probably the worst Claremont creation hands down there is nothing good about that character

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
completely agreed. the way she was shoehorned in was ridiculous too. just an awful character.

even Maggott had his decent points, Sage is awful.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

GOD IS BED posted:

completely agreed. the way she was shoehorned in was ridiculous too. just an awful character.

even Maggott had his decent points, Sage is awful.

She was okay when she was just a background member of the Hellfire club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is she the one that wore the mask?

• Locked thread