Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Today I had an interview I thought was tomorrow. Thank god it was in my building and I was able to borrow a jacket and tie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

guppy posted:

Today I had an interview I thought was tomorrow. Thank god it was in my building and I was able to borrow a jacket and tie.

Co-worker had a technical interview scheduled, but he couldn't make it, so he emailed the HR person's assistant a day in advance to cancel. He had been working with the assistant on scheduling, so it was the normal process for him.

The assistant never told the HR person, so she called my friend at the specified time. My friend politely told her he tried to cancel, but she flipped out and started yelling how unprofessional it was for him to just bail and not tell her. He tried to tell her he contacted her assistant, but she was like "well, the meeting was with me, so you should have told me" He explained he didn't have her email or contact info, and she responded "that doesn't matter, you could have found me on the company website or call our receptionist and have her transfer you to me." She was nuts, he ended up hanging up on her, since she wouldn't let it go.

It was really strange.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Always nice when you can figure out how badly you don't want to be somewhere during the hiring process; unless I misread that and he was the interviewer.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
:yotj:

Told everyone here I'll be moving on in the new year, and that I wont be joining them. They took it well... mostly. The moods more somber now.

You know, it's rare you find a job where you get along with everyone, so leaving will be tough, but I'll definitely be happy doing something different (and getting more :tenbux: to boot)

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
so, i bought it up with my manager, and he seemed receptive to me taking on another role. recommended that i talk to the head of our security team to see if he's interested in having me onboard

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Setting up a new MPLS circuit.

Guy at level3 giving me the same IP addresses for both sides of the MPLS.

welp.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 23, 2021

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

(POSTS LINK TO LIQUOR STORE INVENTORY CATALOG)

here is the best guide you poor poor idiot

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

oh god oh god oh god

my workplace doesn't have an IT department or an IT manager or any sort of technology plan

we need at least 2 of the above (plus an MSP)

tomorrow I'm going to tell the CEO this

i might by the end of the meeting end up being volunteered for the job of it manager by dint of being the only one who cares

is this the worst idea of my life (yes)

where can I get a complete guide to being an IT manager (especially one for an organization that thinks scantrons are technologically advanced) so I can recognize my looming demise

What is your job now, and will you get any more money by volunteering to do this? If not, why do you wish to hurt yourself in this way?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

oh god oh god oh god

my workplace doesn't have an IT department or an IT manager or any sort of technology plan

i might by the end of the meeting end up being volunteered for the job of it manager by dint of being the only one who cares

where can I get a complete guide to being an IT manager (especially one for an organization that thinks scantrons are technologically advanced) so I can recognize my looming demise

Just read Dick Trauma's post history, with a cheap bottle of scotch, and your should be set.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

oh god oh god oh god

If you are actually small enough, a single help desk guy can carry most of the stuff while the MSP fills in the hard stuff. A single server / network administrator can handle the help desk stuff but will cost more. Two is nice and everything, but it can be hard to not be bored if you have 2 guys doing a job small enough for a single part timer.

The main tool of a good IT person: Google
Don't be afraid to google anything and everything, you are not expected to know every program inside and out, unless your job is to run just that program.

As far as actually doing IT stuff, go and get an actual degree if you aren't going to shadow someone. It's pretty easy to make a horrible mess of AD trying to figure out how to set it up and everything on your own. If you are going to just do helpdesk fixing user apps sure you should be able to figure it out if your google is strong.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I finally broke down and made a automated tool to gather all of the pertinent information pertaining to our product if something goes wrong.

Because for the last 3 months customer service would write tickets to the extent of: "${FEATURE} doesn't work, and causes ${PROBLEM}" with no additional information.

No log files, no version numbers, nothing. It was maddening. I talked to customer service and asked them to use the new tool so I can get some drat information!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 23, 2021

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 23, 2021

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Godspeed You! ChickenOfTomorrow

If they do offer you that position, see if you can get some sort of clause for them to return you to your current position if you hate it, or can't handle it. That way you can safely try it out. Might not be for you

also I am a masochist and I post in yospos

why are you repeating yourself :haw:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

I'm currently a manager for a somewhat related department that deals with data analysis and etc and is being hurt by our pisspoor tech and staff's fear of anything more advanced than an automatic stapler

I have no idea about more money but I absolutely will not take it on without a discussion of compensation (and I know how much the other managers and directors make)

And... well I only just had this realization 30 minutes ago so I need to talk it over with my husband and then hide in the shower with a fat blunt

also I am a masochist and I post in yospos

Well, if you DO go through with this, I suggest getting a budget to hire someone under you who actually likes doing these technical things and that can do most of the grunt work. Otherwise, you'll end up spending most of your time plugging peoples keyboard and monitors (back) in and your data analysis job will suffer.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Surely that's why you'd have an MSP

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 18, 2015

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 23, 2021

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Esp since there's technically already an IT generalist contracted for $100/hr

if there's an emergency it gets solved (somehow) but there's no plan past the next 7 days except "well we just keep doing everything the same as we currently do - which is the same as we did things in 2005 - and if something breaks I guess we tell the generalist to get something from CDW"

That... that sounds like a place that needs an IT manager or director, right? Someone to think long-term?

ok well now I'm deep into talking myself out of it

Well, your contractor is effectively 'managing' your entire infrastructure. You COULD just ask him to do all this planning, but at $100/hr that's over 200k/yr for an IT Manager, which is probably excessive (not knowing your actual IT needs). Depending on how often he's actually called in, just having a full-time person to handle these things could instantly save money, with the added benefit of getting all those planning things as well.

However, that he exists complicates things. Does your suggesting this new position being created threaten his money-fountain? If so, he's going to be cranky and come out swinging.

Unless you actually WANT to switch to a career in IT, I'd suggest the slow approach, bring up that you think a full-time position of IT Manager is warranted given how much contractor is pulled in and all these existential risks you mentioned.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Not pissing me off right now: I'm in a very small shop (like, ten desktops, a dozen laptops small), and I generally order Dell laptops, and don't get the Pro Support. They have historically been very reliable.

I ordered a laptop through our rep awhile back, and got a quote for a laptop with no Pro Support, and Acrobat Standard; I confirmed the quote. He put through an order for a laptop with Pro Support, no Acrobat Standard. I went back and forth with him and Dell for awhile, finally just gave up on it; $100 wasn't worth my time.

There is something hella wrong with the hard drive on that particular laptop. Keeps sliding out or something, reseating it doesn't help. Thank God for Pro Support. :D

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Thanatosian posted:

Not pissing me off right now: I'm in a very small shop (like, ten desktops, a dozen laptops small), and I generally order Dell laptops, and don't get the Pro Support. They have historically been very reliable.

I ordered a laptop through our rep awhile back, and got a quote for a laptop with no Pro Support, and Acrobat Standard; I confirmed the quote. He put through an order for a laptop with Pro Support, no Acrobat Standard. I went back and forth with him and Dell for awhile, finally just gave up on it; $100 wasn't worth my time.

There is something hella wrong with the hard drive on that particular laptop. Keeps sliding out or something, reseating it doesn't help. Thank God for Pro Support. :D

Pro support is the best thing on earth if you can afford it. Getting your poo poo next day'd with no questions asked is the best.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

When saying to your management "someone should do <foo>," there is a very real possibility that their reply will be "you're someone."

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

When saying to your management "someone should do <foo>," there is a very real possibility that their reply will be "you're someone."

That's why it's important to make it a) sound like regardless of who does it, it will take 40h/week, so it can't just be tacked on to someone who already has something important to do and b) make sure you emphasize that it is in no way part of your skillset ("Wow, someone should fix this gaping hole in the roof! Pity I am in no way capable or certified to do such a thing").

Also, if you think your managers are such complete idiots that would still just say "you do it" even after a & b are made clear... you should probably not bring it up, as well as getting the hell out of there yourself because working for such people can't possibly end well.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

If you're considering yourself for this position, remember that your technophobic institution will likely strongly resist change at the lower levels, and without management backing for your changes (see: AUP) you may well end up in a role with responsibility but no power to effect that change.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Volmarias posted:

If you're considering yourself for this position, remember that your technophobic institution will likely strongly resist change at the lower levels, and without management backing for your changes (see: AUP) you may well end up in a role with responsibility but no power to effect that change.

Yeah, that's a good point too. You should just imagine you will be DT, except without all the experience.

What I'm saying is, for the love of god, don't do this to yourself.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Skandranon posted:

What I'm saying is, for the love of god, don't do this to yourself.

yeah that's what 50% of me is saying. the other 50% is saying "if not you, who?" in a sarcastic tone of voice while laughing cruelly

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

yeah that's what 50% of me is saying. the other 50% is saying "if not you, who?" in a sarcastic tone of voice while laughing cruelly

"Someone else, who has experience in the field and likes being a punching bag". Isn't your current job important?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Volmarias posted:

I'm currently at a place where this pretty much happened 3 people ago. Company was behind the times, someone that kind of new technology but not IT said "we need technology" took the reigns and got network shares and work groups. I'm not sure how long he had the position. My predecessor took over from him 10 years and some change ago after the first guy hosed poo poo up by only knowing half of what was going on. I took over pretty recently and things are running pretty smooth.

If you are going to take over do it right, don't half rear end it. The guy I took control from was pretty bitter about "finally getting everything settled" he specialized in network and security and that stuff is locked down. He knew pretty much nothing about AD, inherited a network with no GPOs or automation. I'm fixing that now. New hires are so nice not having to map drives and printers manually.

I'm a little frustrate on having to update office manually from "pro" to "business" because Microsoft decided to change that. I could make a new "image" but I want to have an actual solution and not clonezilla on a flash drive. That's a project that wont be funded for a few more months but it's on the budget, and actually something I have in writing when hired, "Q2" to replace servers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

You always have the "guerrilla IT" option, I suppose.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Tell them to put the job posting with a recruiter for $50-55k that should get some bites. Take someone that has 2 years experience or is out of a reasonable degree that you know sets them up for the real world (many IT degrees are pretty terrible honestly). You said you have help desk? Good, keywords "Active Directory" and if you can get "SCCM" go for it. Actually someone that has "Hyper-V" "V-Sphere" or "VMware" should be pretty good. You might need someone that knows how to setup a VMs to actually bring you to the modern world. You are looking to take someone that is doing more then what they are paid for and are doing it for experience. Take the "basically help desk but actually doing server stuff" guy. He's going to love the experience he can get running a department and the pay increase. Your going to love a cheap server admin for a few years before leaving.

Don't expect someone to stay long, IT is about hopping around. There are reasons for staying, and it's usually a family and a low stress, flexible position. If you can find that guy you are golden.

edit: If you want someone that has run an IT department before good luck, that's going to easily run 75-100k if they didn't gently caress it up. You are a small shop, you are a stepping stone for someone to put on their resume "implemented X" which is what they want to specialize in. Some people like small shop, and that's awesome too. Some people also stick around at a place until they retire, but usually if someone leaves small shop its because they are tired of not being able to take a vacation and look for a big place not another small shop.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 17, 2015

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

:sigh:

Guess what I spent my afternoon re-doing? My 12-years-on-the-job co-worker did this wiring job on our brand new storage array install. Broke a few strands of brand new OM3 while they were at it.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 17, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NeuralSpark posted:

:sigh:

Guess what I spent my afternoon re-doing? My 12-years-on-the-job co-worker did this wiring job on our brand new storage array install. Broke a few strands of brand new OM3 while they were at it.

I bet if you wave a harddrive near that you could wipe it clean.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I bet if you wave a harddrive near that you could wipe it clean.

Doubtful since a loop of fiber won't generate a magnetic field.

However, each one of those probably needs to be tested for fractures.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Pissing me off: it turns out that the field "UniqueCallCenterID" isn't unique after all. Hello irretrievable data loss and emergency changes during christmas. :suicide:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flosofl posted:

Doubtful since a loop of fiber won't generate a magnetic field.

However, each one of those probably needs to be tested for fractures.

Whoops, I was still thinking of those well-laid cable runs from the Ticket thread :cripes:.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
We've just discovered a bug where a macro in our CAD software sometimes breaks if there are windows updates pending, meaning we randomly can't plot drawings.

Currently one of the updates is bugged and tries to uninstall over and over again. If you reboot the machine it goes through the act of uninstalling the update but doesn't remove it from the pending update list, so Windows tries again on the next reboot. I'm sure you can see the problem here.

Bonus: The update it's trying to remove is KB3114409 :allears:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So Zendesk is hosed, and their support are being their usual helpful selves in letting people know what's going on.

"There's an issue we are working on" is not a valid service status.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

So Zendesk is hosed, and their support are being their usual helpful selves in letting people know what's going on.

"There's an issue we are working on" is not a valid service status.

How is it not valid? What specific details are you needing considering the small scope of services Zendesk provides.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Forever pissing me off: Internal applications requiring ancient versions of IE. And Java.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

nielsm posted:

Forever pissing me off: Internal applications requiring ancient versions of IE. And Java.

We have a java app at work that uses JRE6. :smith: