Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I was working through a temp agency at a company for about 5 months, then the position I worked in was eliminated. They moved me to a different position in the same company, which i worked for about a month then I got injured on the job and was out of work for 2 weeks. When I was well the company replaced me. The temp agency didn't have any positions open that I could work so I decided to go back to school.My semester ended Tuesday. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits till I get employed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Even if you can't go glasses free with LASIK, it can mean the difference between barely being able to see anything without your glasses, and being able to do most everything but driving and reading without them. And while that might not sound that useful, consider how screwed you be if you lose your glasses now versus then.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

fishmech posted:

Even if you can't go glasses free with LASIK, it can mean the difference between barely being able to see anything without your glasses, and being able to do most everything but driving and reading without them. And while that might not sound that useful, consider how screwed you be if you lose your glasses now versus then.

Yeah, I would absolutely consider Lasik for this very reason. Ah, to be a regular myopic and not an extreme one...

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's the easiest way to find past weather information, specifically snowfall? I'm curious about what the official snowfall was from the other night.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

b0nes posted:

I was working through a temp agency at a company for about 5 months, then the position I worked in was eliminated. They moved me to a different position in the same company, which i worked for about a month then I got injured on the job and was out of work for 2 weeks. When I was well the company replaced me. The temp agency didn't have any positions open that I could work so I decided to go back to school.My semester ended Tuesday. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits till I get employed?

This will vary by state. Try the legal thread instead, maybe, but the answer is most likely "call a lawyer" or "call the unemployment office."

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

GobiasIndustries posted:

What's the easiest way to find past weather information, specifically snowfall? I'm curious about what the official snowfall was from the other night.

Assuming you're in the US, your local National Weather Service office puts out daily reports with information like that from the official weather station of your area, which may or may not be relevant to you. Go to https://www.weather.gov go to the forecast page for your location, and at the bottom there's a "Local Climatology" link. The Daily Climate Report is what you're looking for.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

alnilam posted:

Yeah, I would absolutely consider Lasik for this very reason. Ah, to be a regular myopic and not an extreme one...

I was one of those people who could wake up and not be able to do anything if my glasses were not right by the bed (when I was living alone). On more than one occasion, I had to call someone on the phone to come and help me.

Here's something that only the truly myopic understand: "I can't hear you, I don't have my glasses on"

LASIK changed my life. Well that and punk rock.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
In the vein of this LASIK talk,

The tell me about Lasik thread

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
thanks for all the suggestions to my previous question, was a bit short on time I managed by eating something sugary.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is programming in non-English speaking countries done in other languages?

I don't mean different programming languages, I'm wondering if those programming languages are written with non-English words?

For example, in Spain, is a "For Loop" a "Por Lazo" and written like this:

code:
  por( ent a = 1; a < 5; a = a + 1 )
   {
     impresiónf ("%n", a);
   }

?
(Apologies for both what is likely mangled code AND mangled Spanish.)

I've seen core syntax (like "for" loops, primitive types, etc) in English, and a lot of use of software Libraries written in english (drawLine(int x, int y) etc), with variables, custom methods, and classes in a kind of pidgin, depending on how software-y a given word is. (queueFactura.add(facturaMasReciente))

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How do you remove sticker residue from a book's dust jacket.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 17, 2015

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

How do you remove sticker residue from a book's dust jacket.

Goo Gone, if it's glossy. If it's not glossy, it's still worth a shot, but it may never be coming out either.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Is it possible to get replacement keys or a replacement lock as in this image gallery?

https://imgur.com/a/ARiRA

What is this kind of lock called? I'm in the UK.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Is it possible to get replacement keys or a replacement lock as in this image gallery?

https://imgur.com/a/ARiRA

What is this kind of lock called? I'm in the UK.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-locke-traditional-rim-sashlock-black-155-x-105mm/1591g

Traditional rim sashlock

EDIT:

on sale!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/century-rim-sash-lock-brass-150-x-100mm/41678

spog fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 17, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

To print photos, do I need a printer that specializes in printing photos?

Could a color toner or inkjet printer also print on photo paper?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Laser will not work on regular photo paper.

Just take it to a photo kiosk.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

FCKGW posted:

Laser will not work on regular photo paper.

Just take it to a photo kiosk.

A friend of mine is actually looking into having a photo booth set-up at a Christmas party. They have someone with a big fancy DSLR that can be tethered to a computer but we don't know much about the printing side of it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

How much of a budget is your friend on? You could feasibly buy a cheaper photo printer or maybe rent one (though I'm not sure who would rent you a printer). Your average office printer isn't going to do a very good job.

Depending on where you are, there are likely companies that offer photo booth rentals for parties. If you want at least average quality photos you'll probably spend as much on paper and ink as you would just hiring someone to do it for you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

A friend of mine is actually looking into having a photo booth set-up at a Christmas party. They have someone with a big fancy DSLR that can be tethered to a computer but we don't know much about the printing side of it.

Is the goal to have something that'll be ok to look at during the party and it doesn't matter if it stands up? Any normal paper and printer will do.

Is the goal to have a lasting memory sort of thing? You'll need to go buy photo paper from the office supply store and ideally use an inkjet printer capable of having ''photo" ink stuff set up.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know when you want to poop, but can't, and then clench your rear end in a top hat and you don't have to poop as much anymore for a bit? What's actually happening there?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
This sounds kinda stupid but kinda not in my head, but barring stuff like decreased pollution etc and access to meds, would people living in cold environments live noticeably longer than say people in near the Equator? My reasoning is is that the increased heat would decrease the energy needed for cell function, so everything would be reacting quicker and therefore aging faster

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

This sounds kinda stupid but kinda not in my head, but barring stuff like decreased pollution etc and access to meds, would people living in cold environments live noticeably longer than say people in near the Equator? My reasoning is is that the increased heat would decrease the energy needed for cell function, so everything would be reacting quicker and therefore aging faster

Currently most of the places with the most people over 100 living in them for their population are in the tropics and lower temperate zones, places like Okinawa, Sardinia, some islands off Greece, and some towns in California and Costa Rica.

They're not on the equator, but they're also far from being cold environments.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
It seems more intuitive to say that cold results in your body having to work harder to maintain a set internal temperature. More work, more stress, shorter life.
Theoretically if we were cold blooded something like that might work. Cold blooded animals generally just slow down (though extreme temperatures will kill them, obviously), and depending on how an intelligent and self-aware cold blooded species experienced the sensation of cold, they might choose to stay in those locations if they had agriculture and excess food and time.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

baquerd posted:

You know when you want to poop, but can't, and then clench your rear end in a top hat and you don't have to poop as much anymore for a bit? What's actually happening there?

i feel like you're trying to trick fishmech into talking about assholes and im glad of it

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
If there's one thing old people love, it's being too cold

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

Currently most of the places with the most people over 100 living in them for their population are in the tropics and lower temperate zones, places like Okinawa, Sardinia, some islands off Greece, and some towns in California and Costa Rica.

They're not on the equator, but they're also far from being cold environments.

zachol posted:

It seems more intuitive to say that cold results in your body having to work harder to maintain a set internal temperature. More work, more stress, shorter life.
Theoretically if we were cold blooded something like that might work. Cold blooded animals generally just slow down (though extreme temperatures will kill them, obviously), and depending on how an intelligent and self-aware cold blooded species experienced the sensation of cold, they might choose to stay in those locations if they had agriculture and excess food and time.

Actually this makes a lot more sense than what I thought. I guess I'll be living longer than you chaps for the downside of 2/3 (literally 2/3) people I know getting skin cancer.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 18, 2015

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

muike posted:

i feel like you're trying to trick fishmech into talking about assholes and im glad of it

Here's a small and stupid question, what has caused so many people on the forums to start saying "I for one am glad of it" or "I'm glad of it" like above. Did this start organically on the forums or is it referencing something?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i dont know but i think it's funny so i guess im just a band waggoner. the first time i saw it was synthy saying "im glad of sandy hook" which was probably in reference to something else idk. that's me breaking down something and removing all the humor from it bye

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

zachol posted:

It's homeothermic and poikilothermic now.

Meaning, "I would like to stay this temperature and would murder something to do so" and "idgaf I'll sit in the sun to wake up or god drat steve Irwin, ima die if you don't quit making me use my croc muscles, me brains are cooking", respectively

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
homeothermic= "I would like to stay this temperature and would murder something to do so"

poikilothermic = "idgaf I'll sit in the sun to wake up or god drat steve Irwin, ima die if you don't quit making me use my croc muscles, me brains are cooking"

If only all science were this plain spoken.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How close can you get to an original work and still claim it as your own? I'm looking at stuff like Minecraft and Shadowrun, wondering how one gets copied so much, and the other is basically ignored. I mean could I make a game tomorrow set in Los Angeles, with Cybered up dudes saying chummer, and dragons re-awakening, magic, and poo poo like that? How far do intellectual property rights go?

Also when do things enter the public domain, how can we guarantee more stuff enters the public domain. Are there law makers who talk / have a platform on that I can support / vote for?

What's a good book to learn all this / a thread to discuss it?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Turtlicious posted:

How close can you get to an original work and still claim it as your own?

As close as you want until the point at which someone's lawyers come and try to shut you down, at which point the person with more money wins (unless it's like super blatant).

Turtlicious posted:

Also when do things enter the public domain, how can we guarantee more stuff enters the public domain. Are there law makers who talk / have a platform on that I can support / vote for?

They don't. You can't. No.

For a serious answer to "when do things enter public domain?" The current amount of time is 70 years after the death of the author, or for corporate works it's 95 years after publication or 120 years after creation, whichever comes first.

Don't count on anything ever actually entering the public domain though, it gets extended every time Mickey Mouse gets close to it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Turtlicious posted:

How close can you get to an original work and still claim it as your own? I'm looking at stuff like Minecraft and Shadowrun, wondering how one gets copied so much, and the other is basically ignored. I mean could I make a game tomorrow set in Los Angeles, with Cybered up dudes saying chummer, and dragons re-awakening, magic, and poo poo like that? How far do intellectual property rights go?
You can make a cyberpunk game with magic and dragons and stuff, as long as you don't copy any specifics. Just like how there are a ton of fantasy novels set in worlds that are pretty much Lord of the Rings, but with a dark lord Sal'qar who uses the nine stones of power to threaten the world from the desolate land of Malgoth or whatever.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Hey guys, I'm in desperate need of a piece of software that can analyze speech (wav, mp3 etc), recognize and transcribe it into text, preferably with a time code, but not necessarily. All the stuff I'm finding online is pure bs. Anyone know of anything good like that? Thanks!

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Mr Underhill posted:

Hey guys, I'm in desperate need of a piece of software that can analyze speech (wav, mp3 etc), recognize and transcribe it into text, preferably with a time code, but not necessarily. All the stuff I'm finding online is pure bs. Anyone know of anything good like that? Thanks!

Maybe it does exist and I don't know, but judging by the amount of friends I have who get paid good money for transcribing, I'd say it doesn't exist.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Got to bust up that huge DT cartel.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a scene similar to the tank going over the cliff in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade but with Chevy Chase in some comedy movie? The premise being someone has died, but actually lives and shows up behind his grief-stricken companions? I feel like I remember a Vacation movie or something where this happens with Chevy Chase like standing behind his family starting to cry with them for his own death. Maybe it's another actor or movie idk.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

uwaeve posted:

Is there a scene similar to the tank going over the cliff in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade but with Chevy Chase in some comedy movie? The premise being someone has died, but actually lives and shows up behind his grief-stricken companions? I feel like I remember a Vacation movie or something where this happens with Chevy Chase like standing behind his family starting to cry with them for his own death. Maybe it's another actor or movie idk.

It could be in Spies Like Us.
That seems to be the most likely movie Chevy Chase is in to do something like that.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

OctoberBlues posted:

Here's a small and stupid question, what has caused so many people on the forums to start saying "I for one am glad of it" or "I'm glad of it" like above. Did this start organically on the forums or is it referencing something?

Language spreads pretty organically. The former is an old phrase, at least 19th C, and crops up everywhere on the internet. The latter is at least Shakespeare and before. There's an internal echo chamber on SA where posters imitate each other, so that may explain it happening especially often here, but it didn't start here. It's definitely possible it was revived from a film/TV show.

SA has a fondness for awkward sounding clause constructions, so it fits right in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turtlicious posted:

What's a good book to learn all this / a thread to discuss it?

In general, the aesthetic and the general rule sets/game mechanics can be copied freely, since they are only rarely eligible for patents/copyrights. But straight up using the same name infrignes on trademark, and directly calling your compatible rule set the same thing are legal no-nos. And certain very specific game mechanics can be patented - I think the exact way that losing your sanity works in the GameCube game "Eternal Darkness" is one of those. The actual original game code is of course copyrighted, and for board games/card games the specific designs of items may be trademarked and the rulebooks and art may be copyrighted. So you have to reword everything to be substantially distinct from the game you're a fan of.

Currently everything is in the public domain in the US 70 years after the author's death, though there's a bunch of public domain stuff up through the 70s because older copyright laws required you to explicitly renew copyright every X years until it expired, and many people didn't or weren't able to. There's also a bunch of stuff that accidentally or purposefully was put into the public domain.

Separate from the 70 years after death rule, works created for a corporation are public domain after either 95 years from being published or 120 years from being created, whichever is shorter. Or of course, if the corporation says gently caress it and releases it to public domain.

This site from Cornell University is updated yearly with what stuff "should" be in the public domain by now, based on category of work and date it was made: http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm