Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
How do you setup/use wheels? Half the time when I'm trying to figure out good settings for the suspension, it arbitrarily launches my car 20m in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Wales Grey posted:

How do you setup/use wheels? Half the time when I'm trying to figure out good settings for the suspension, it arbitrarily launches my car 20m in the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL1N5KxaWwM

This is the state of wheels at the moment. I have never managed to make them work for me in a fashion that gives me reason to prefer them over simply jetting around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wales Grey posted:

Adjust them slowly or they act like pneumatic launchers.

I've also started on making a new multirole rover.

The usual 360-degree "what the hell was that in the shadows :ohdear:" spotlighting?

And, of course, modular equipment mounts (that I'm still working on). The rear one's something I'm hoping I can use to have it poop basic sentry turrets, communication repeater towers, etc. The top one's for the usual blend of cargo, weapons and tools.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Dusty Lens posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL1N5KxaWwM

This is the state of wheels at the moment. I have never managed to make them work for me in a fashion that gives me reason to prefer them over simply jetting around.

This is neat. Thanks for sharing! :)

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Built my first ship on the surface that made it to orbit on the first try (also i did have some dramas getting it detached from the construction gantry, poo poo went wacky the first 4 times). It's basically just 3 hydrogen tanks, 3 large hydrogen thrusters, some atmospheric thrusters and a control seat on top with some armor around it all. I only used 15% of the hydrogen to get into orbit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One thing with my Multi-Rover is it doesn't really look like a combat vehicle, and doesn't look like something that'd do more except exploring and construction.

So I made a two-man, eight-wheeled, multi-tank:v:. And still need to swap the OKI tank weapons mod for the DX11 version

If Blueprints could actually incorporate rotors, this would be properly turret-mounted instead of just forward-firing. One day... :sigh:

Just need to swap the Light armor for Heavy with the SE Toolbox and put together the internals. Along with the usual various weapon and turret pods to play with.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That looks like a C&C tank.

I approve.

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008
Has anyone been having issues with jump drives blinking out when using multi drive ships?

My buddy and i have a large ship with 5222 blocks (972 Non-Armor), 6 jump drives around 7.3 mil Kg loaded. That load includes on-board ore, so unloaded its just under 6 mil. We also transport 4 smaller ships attached via landing gear in a forward hold which brings the total over 8 mil.

Multiple times when we have jumped; one of the drives has seemingly blown out, leaving armor damage & destroying thrusters all around it.

Is this a common occurrence? Or are we just getting Space Engineer-ed

Pic below (anyone notice anything... familiar):

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

j5mello posted:

Has anyone been having issues with jump drives blinking out when using multi drive ships?

My buddy and i have a large ship with 5222 blocks (972 Non-Armor), 6 jump drives around 7.3 mil Kg loaded. That load includes on-board ore, so unloaded its just under 6 mil. We also transport 4 smaller ships attached via landing gear in a forward hold which brings the total over 8 mil.

Multiple times when we have jumped; one of the drives has seemingly blown out, leaving armor damage & destroying thrusters all around it.

Is this a common occurrence? Or are we just getting Space Engineer-ed

Pic below (anyone notice anything... familiar):

That's most definitely a bug. Nice ship though :allears:.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Screenshot protip: always take your screenshots in the shadow of a planet or being lit from behind, otherwise we might be able to see what you've built.

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008

GotLag posted:

Screenshot protip: always take your screenshots in the shadow of a planet or being lit from behind, otherwise we might be able to see what you've built.

Yeah that's my only shot at the moment. I'll have to take some more pics for the thread...

As to the pictured ship. It is called the Spirit of Hiigara. The interior is no where near as nice as the Calypso... in point of fact it is a terrible mess of tubes!!

The front body is based off the Calypso, and the rear "nacelles" are based off one of the respawn ship designs (the blue and white one shaped sorta like a tuning fork).

The nacelles are mostly empty and have docking space for two smaller ships.

And as parting gift a little story that makes our bug all the more fun:

Our initial asteroid base was called Tanis Base, our first small Large Ship was the Khar Selim.

And most coincidentally, our inaugural jump drive test to pick up the Khar Selim with the Spirit caused one of the jump drives to blow out preventing us from returning to Tanis Base :wahwah:

j5mello fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 15, 2015

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I kinda want to go build the Mothership now.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I finished both campaigns in the remastered edition recently, and I got really sad that it was over.

Space sand people and music was a really good mix.

There was a scale Hiigaran Carrier and Shipyard on the workshop a while back, along with some Vaygr stuff, they could probably be updated to current spec if someone wanted to expend the effort.

IIRC, the shipyard was properly sized to print the carrier, and the carrier the frigates and fighters, respectively.

I'd join the hell out of a Vaygr v Hiigaran server, where you can only build lore ships.

Fake Edit: With planets, you could redo the final Homeworld 2 campaign mission :D

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Need some Tankbutt advice.

What do you guys think;

Short and round or,

Big and flat?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Turn your flashlight off.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

What's the current state of survival RE: Planets? is it just a set map with one of the 3 or can I have old infinite style with random planets yet?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can have 6 planets + infinite asteroids.

Anyone else have the problem of assemblers constantly getting stuck after running out of juice/materials? Every time the internal inventory lacks enough poo poo to build an item, it gets stuck even if less than a second later it pulls shitloads of crap from the conveyor. This is annoying when building tens of thousands of steel plates....

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Truga posted:

You can have 6 planets + infinite asteroids.

Anyone else have the problem of assemblers constantly getting stuck after running out of juice/materials? Every time the internal inventory lacks enough poo poo to build an item, it gets stuck even if less than a second later it pulls shitloads of crap from the conveyor. This is annoying when building tens of thousands of steel plates....
Yes. Assemblers aren't drawing power correctly from batteries, if I understand correctly, and batteries themselves have myriad issues with how they interact with solar at the moment.

I can't play at all this week because anytime anyone modifies a voxel on our Dedicated Server the whole thing goes belly up. :( Waiting for Thursday patch/Friday hotfix.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I think I found a bug, every time I use a jump drive it becomes harder to select control panels on objects. I've used it 4 times and now I cannot highlight any part of a flight seat to use it. Is this happening to any of you?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I see witchspace is working as intended :v:

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008
So thread asked and it shall receive:

Tanis Base including the mini welder and grinder ships. Funny note when I joined last night Tanis was not showing attached to any asteroid and i could in fact fly inside the asteroid where upon after 10 or so seconds i would be killed for being inside it....

The Spirit of Hiigara. Its a non-combat mobile base ship. 4 each of refinery, arc reactor, & assembler; 15 gyros, 4 large and 4 small reactors. :

Rear Shot. Currently the two sub ships are merged onto the Spirit as we thought they were the cause of the jump drive issue we had.

Ventral Shot, solars for free energy, several connectors, landing gear for docking and the projector used to build new ships :

Interior Shots:
Main Bridge:

Medical & Cryo, which is directly behind the bridge:

One of the Rear Hangars with component access on the right:

Forward docking area which includes access to the forward storage hanger:

And Finally Homeworld Bonus Round:
The Taiidan Interceptor:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

j5mello posted:

Tanis Base including the mini welder and grinder ships. Funny note when I joined last night Tanis was not showing attached to any asteroid and i could in fact fly inside the asteroid where upon after 10 or so seconds i would be killed for being inside it....

The Spirit of Hiigara. Its a non-combat mobile base ship. 4 each of refinery, arc reactor, & assembler; 15 gyros, 4 large and 4 small reactors. :

Rear Shot. Currently the two sub ships are merged onto the Spirit as we thought they were the cause of the jump drive issue we had.

Ventral Shot, solars for free energy, several connectors, landing gear for docking and the projector used to build new ships :

Interior Shots:
Main Bridge:

The Taiidan Interceptor:

Karan S'jet would be proud :kharak:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

j5mello posted:

Interior Shots:
Main Bridge:

The Taiidan Interceptor:

Those are some nice ships :allears:. Can they fly in gravity?

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Those are some nice ships :allears:. Can they fly in gravity?

The Spirit probably won't run in 1 G though it can handle the moon. No idea about the Interceptor retrofitting it with atmo thrusters would be doable, but i don't think the design would stay aloft very well....

Of course since you asked we just finished another ship specifically designed to land on planets and function as a base:

The Faal Corum

View from of the bridge

Rotate 180 degrees from above and you get medical/cryo and the exit to the airlock doors.

Heh, this discussion is all the more entertaining with the announcement of Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak (PLEASE BE GOOD!!)

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I'm making automated airlocks since I cannot click any control panel from that jump drive bug :argh:. For my set up I have a sensor and four timer blocks per sliding door and a vent in the airlock.

From the outside:
Sensor 1 -> Depressurize the vent and start timer 1,
Timer 1 -> Start timer 2, turn off the outer sensor and the inner sensor, and open the outer sliding door,
Timer 2 -> Start timer 3, close the outer door, turn the depressurize off,
Timer 3 -> Start timer 4, open the inner door,
Timer 4 -> Close the inner door, turn the inner sensor and outer sensor on.

From the inside:
Sensor 2 -> Start timer 5 and open the inner door,
Timer 5-> Start timer 6, turn off the outer sensor and the inner sensor, and depressurize the vent,
Timer 6 -> Start timer 7, close the inner door,
Timer 7 -> Start timer 8, open the outer door,
Timer 8 -> Close the outer door, turn the outer sensor and inner sensor on, turn the vent depressurize off.

Is there any way to optimize that to use less timer blocks or sensors? The basic idea is depressurize -> open the outer door -> close the outer door -> repressurize -> open the inner door -> close the inner door. I have the sensor shut off to prevent both sequences happening at the same time and depressurizing the room.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I wish their programmable block was much simpler. Kinda like the Expression Chip in Garry's mod. Something that lets me put in long lists of if/then/else conditionals.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Did some more work on my Hercules Multi-Tank, and it turns out it runs pretty well.

The turret's from Rider's Battle Cannon and Turrets modpack, and basically makes it a Scorpion battle tank from Halo by accident :v:. I had to elevate the mount by a layer because otherwise the belly connector was sticking out below it and scraping the ground. It also uses the modpack's Vulcan Gatling and the sweet 4-barrel anti-air guns for general AA fun. The big cannon's also able to elevate high enough to put holes in airborn ships too.

Though it does have one fixed-weapon mount though...

Because I could. The whole tank rocks a little from the recoil too :allears:.

The Scarab Multirover's also gained a construction rig. Stolen and repurposed from the Battlewagon.

It's for general base-building work, and it can poop basic turrets using the rear connector and merge block. The rover itself still needs some weighing-down and fine-tuning though, as it tends to roll during high-speed turns :rice:.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
How well does that armour cage on the construction rig actually work? I found a while back that single-layer light armour around non-deformable blocks (eg conveyors, containers) tends to break them when it deforms.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

How well does that armour cage on the construction rig actually work? I found a while back that single-layer light armour around non-deformable blocks (eg conveyors, containers) tends to break them when it deforms.

It does okay so long as you don't go slamming it at high-speed into poo poo. It's admittedly cheap on-purpose and partly decorative, just so it's easy to get the resources to make one.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm making automated airlocks since I cannot click any control panel from that jump drive bug :argh:. For my set up I have a sensor and four timer blocks per sliding door and a vent in the airlock.

From the outside:
Timer 1 -> Start timer 2, turn off the outer sensor and the inner sensor, and open the outer sliding door,

From the inside:
Timer 5-> Start timer 6, turn off the outer sensor and the inner sensor, and depressurize the vent,
Timer 8 -> Close the outer door, turn the outer sensor and inner sensor on, turn the vent depressurize off.

Is there any way to optimize that to use less timer blocks or sensors? The basic idea is depressurize -> open the outer door -> close the outer door -> repressurize -> open the inner door -> close the inner door. I have the sensor shut off to prevent both sequences happening at the same time and depressurizing the room.

I believe that Air Vents have a setup panel on them now, akin to a sensor. It's not well documented, but I think the left box is for "When things are Pressurized" and the right box is "When things are depressurized." That might streamline things, depending on where you put sensors on your doors!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Azuth0667 posted:

From the outside:

From the inside:

I do it with 4 timer blocks and two sensors, it's also a finite state machine where it doesn't matter what state or side you approach from it always functions correctly.

Sensor 1 covers people approaching the inside door from either side when the airlock is open to vacuum. Triggers timer close 1 when a player enters.
Sensor 2 covers people approaching the outside door from either side when the airlock is pressurised. Triggers timer open 1
Timer close 1 closes both doors and begins pressurising the airlock, triggers timer close 2,turns off both sensors.
Timer close 2 opens the inside door, enables sensor 2.

Timer open 1 closes both doors and begins depressuring the airlock, triggers timer open 2,turns off both sensors
Timer open 2 opens the outside door, enables sensor 1.

You can also add warning light groups for cycling/open to vacuum. Or sound blocks.
It's not foolproof but you can change the ownership to disallow access to manually open the doors while still letting the sensors trigger.

If the thing about the air vents having action triggers is true then you can improve it slightly however poo poo would gently caress up if you didn't have enough oxygen to repressurise or your tanks are full and you can't completely depressurise.

Edit: that being said you could setup the vent to trigger the timer 2 blocks immediately, and have the timer 1 block start the timer 2 block timers as a fail-safe timeout.

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 17, 2015

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

On my primary "large ship" build I have two sets of airlocks, not counting the hangar. The "main" airlock is the kind you described, which includes a full set of vents to depressurize the chamber before the secondary doors are actuated. It works fairly well but, as you encountered, the system for determining what happens when can be fairly convoluted and is prone to failure. Especially when sensors are involved and you accidentally end up in a situation where a tripped sensor upsets the system mid cycle or when dealing with lag online. Which isn't impossible when dealing with pressurized rooms and the potential for being sent flying into/out of a sensor's detection area.

While it still uses 4 timer blocks and doesn't reclaim air I've come to really prefer just sticking two of Keen's nice new doors together to make a chamber.

Internal door is open by default. External door is closed by default.

Timer 1 start: 2 second delay. Lights in room dim/red blinking light actuates. Internal door closes. External door remains closed. Timer block 2 set to run in 2 seconds.
Timer 2 start: Internal doors shut. External doors open. Timer block 3 set to run in 2 seconds.
Timer 3 start: Internal doors shut. External doors close. Timer block 4 set to run in 2 seconds.
Timer 4 start: Internal doors open. External doors close. Lights returned to normal.

It's a fairly simple system. Four timer blocks. Nothing fancy or ground breaking. But I find I vastly prefer it over other airlocks for the simplicity (push button, walk into room, few seconds later you're in space/back on the ship and no risk of being blown around by vent issues). Furthermore on all of the ships/stations that I use airlocks I link all airlocks to the same set of timers. So on one station if you push the button to cycle an airlock you end up with 4 different airlock systems going through their paces. So far I've had no issues with that and it has allowed for everything to be made much more compact.

No sensors. Just a big 'ol button that says "cycle airlock".

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I just use two doors for my airlocks. When a door closes it destroys the air in that cube, so two doors directly adjacent to each other are just as oxygen-efficient as an airlock with a vent. As far as timers and the like I just have a group of all airtight doors and if a room loses pressure it tells every door to close. Vented airlocks are way too bulky, and with the new sliding doors you can make a fully-sealed airlock in two cubes with no extra sealing required.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It does okay so long as you don't go slamming it at high-speed into poo poo. It's admittedly cheap on-purpose and partly decorative, just so it's easy to get the resources to make one.
I was flying one of these, and I bumped/scraped the big white patch with the black number against a tunnel wall. This deformed the light armour and popped the containers underneath, causing a large amount of stone to spawn inside my ship. A good time was not had.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 17, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

I was flying one of these, and I bumped/scraped the big white patch with the black number against a tunnel wall. This deformed the light armour and popped the containers underneath, causing a large amount of stone to spawn inside my ship. A good time was not had.

Like I said; cheap and decorative :v:. Really though, being on the ground is in it's favour because there aren't as many of the same kind of chances to smash it into something as an air/spaceborn construction craft, unless you're actually trying to do it with rough driving. Just puttering around flat ground while laying down a base isn't going to bring much of a chance of smashing it into something.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

GotLag posted:

I usually don't have much armor on any ships that aren't designed to hold pressure for that reason. The addition of weight aside, which can be a real issue in the early game when your spaceships are hydrogen based, armor blocks can be a real detriment. Nothing is more annoying than nicking a block and having it nuke your bag of holding to spawn a small moon where half of your ship/car used to be because a deformation spur popped out. Given how they communicate damage to surrounding blocks I've had the most luck with using them as unconnected bumpers or simply not using them at all with the exception of using them to secure parts of the ship together that otherwise rely on 1-2 components to prevent the whole thing from snapping in two.

Something I want to experiment with is using wheels/suspensions as bumpers.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
On my drones I use a line of blast door blocks around the batteries and the side opposite the connector, as those are the most likely places to take an impact. It works quite well.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Like I said; cheap and decorative :v:. Really though, being on the ground is in it's favour because there aren't as many of the same kind of chances to smash it into something as an air/spaceborn construction craft, unless you're actually trying to do it with rough driving. Just puttering around flat ground while laying down a base isn't going to bring much of a chance of smashing it into something.
The problem is that 'smashing' isn't required. If you're unlucky a light bump will do it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, I'm seeing some wheeled stuff here. Are wheels fixed yet, or do they still get super glitchy on planets?

Also, yeah, use blast doors as armour, since armour seems to fail at that job right now due to deforming more than 1 block away and destroying whatever was in the way...

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Patch is out

quote:

Features
- atmospheric thruster animations

Fixes
- fixed description of projector in control panel is overlaping
- fixed pirate drones are not flying away without guns
- fixed simcspeed slowdown when drilling
- fixed crash when grinding jumpdrive
- fixed stones having no physics
- fixed crash when when welding
- fixed crash when reloading world with mods
- fixed autopilot not working

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Truga posted:

Hey, I'm seeing some wheeled stuff here. Are wheels fixed yet, or do they still get super glitchy on planets?

Also, yeah, use blast doors as armour, since armour seems to fail at that job right now due to deforming more than 1 block away and destroying whatever was in the way...

They seem to be fine on mine, I haven't had wheels disappear or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Apparently many people on the forums have had wheeled vehicles fall through the planet randomly, which sounds very frustrating.

Haven't had anything like that on my Dedicated Server, but the wheels themselves seem to have extremely poor purchase on voxels, making parking them on hillsides/slopes is impossible, regardless of what settings we try.

• Locked thread