Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeez
May 28, 2012
So, people who have seen it, do they mention kyber crystals in this? Just a yes or no will suffice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
okay this is driving me crazy, i gotta ask:

Why do people insist the whole "Yoda using a lightsaber" thing is completely out of character? Where in the OT did yoda make it clear that he didnt use it?

thats literally the only thing i disagree with RLM on

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

RBA Starblade posted:

So was there ever a story or something about what happened to Jar-Jar Binks after he implemented space fascism for everyone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucilia_bufonivora

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

That shot looks real enough to me.

I don't know what this means. It looks real enough to me, too. So do most of the effects in the prequels. But that doesn't mean any of them actually look capital-R Real. Because they don't. Otherwise, they'd be indistinguishable from what your eyes would see if you were standing in a real location--or at the very least indistinguishable from a photograph, like the live action elements usually are. They're (usually) not indistinguishable from those things.

mr.capps posted:

I was rewatching the original trilogy yesterday to get ready for this and I forgot how many snakes there are on Dagobah. Nearly every shot has a snake, and Luke seems to get progressively more and more annoyed with the snakes, its great.

IIRC it got to the point where Kershner was just hiding snakes in random places and then telling Mark to reach his hand in.

Like this shot in particular is just straight up Mark Hamill getting surprised by a snake Kershner stashed in the X-wing engine prop:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BillBear posted:

Ep 8 is going to be amazing.

And in a little over 500 days we'll get to see it!

euphronius posted:

Oh we think Sidious is done ?

Huh.

Does this look like a man who doesn't have a plan for every eventuality?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Race Realists posted:

Why do people insist the whole "Yoda using a lightsaber" thing is completely out of character? Where in the OT did yoda make it clear that he didnt use it?

Yoda is presented as a wise sage who does not remotely emphasize the physical elements of combat. He actually recommends Luke leave his lightsaber behind and emphasizes the idea that judging him by his size and his looks is a fool's errand. He demonstrates that his power is far more in his connection with the force than his physical capabilities. In the kind of stories that Lucas is borrowing from this kind of character is presented as someone who either doesn't need to physically fight or whose fights are swift and over in moments rather than the more showy and flashy techniques of inexperienced novices.

Him having a lightsaber isn't out of character, his fighting style being rabid honey badger is pretty odd.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Race Realists posted:

As with Darth Vader, many people approach the prequels with the idea that Yoda should be the same as he was in the later movies. Instead, we have a Yoda who uses his mundane sword and is always trying to look to the future.

This characterization of Yoda is actually great because it lends significance to his lines in ESB, where he's chastising Luke for always looking to the horizon when he should be focusing on what's right in front of him. It shows us, in retrospect, that Yoda has learned an important lesson from his failure.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Race Realists posted:

The fact he was tiny and fragile made it clear he couldn't fight with the saber if he wanted to, plus as we later saw, it wouldn't matter as he was insanely skilled in the force and it wouldn't make any sense for him to downgrade himself so much by using a lightsaber.

It made no sense for 2 physically fragile and old dudes who are extremely powerful force users to duke it out with sabers in EP III.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Race Realists posted:

Yoda's sort of based on the kung fu movie archetype of the wisened old master who is so good he doesn't even need to do all the fancy poo poo he teaches the pupil to do. If you can move spaceships with your mind and see the future you've kind of moved past having to beat dudes with a laser stick. Same goes for Palpatine - he's so menacing because he doesn't carry a lightsaber, and when we learn why in RotJ, it's a major holy poo poo moment. When both of them finally get some action and it turns out they just fight like Sonic the Hedgehog, it kind of throws that out the window.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 17, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Maybe Episode VIII will have a training montage where Kylo drinks raw rancor eggs and lightsabers hunks of bantha meat hanging in a meat locker.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Zoran posted:

As with Darth Vader, many people approach the prequels with the idea that Yoda should be the same as he was in the later movies. Instead, we have a Yoda who uses his mundane sword and is always trying to look to the future.

This characterization of Yoda is actually great because it lends significance to his lines in ESB, where he's chastising Luke for always looking to the horizon when he should be focusing on what's right in front of him. It shows us, in retrospect, that Yoda has learned an important lesson from his failure.

This is absolutely correct and I wish they would have shown it in a way that didn't involve him turning into Batman Arkham City.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BillBear posted:

It made no sense for 2 physically fragile and old dudes who are extremely powerful force users to duke it out with sabers in EP III.

Yoda should have been incredibly swole in the prequels, and he's only tiny and frail because he's old and sick and dying.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

My screening at midday had about 7 people in it. That was ace. I loved every second of it, and the 3D is fine. The titles and crawl look great in it, as if they were always supposed to be that way. The distance and scale it adds is definitely a plus.

Amusingly, the spoiler I accidentally triggered last night that I think a few other people did to was someone moaning about the Han point being spoilt by this forum, when in fact it hadn't been and was just a theory. So that guy managed to accidentally spoil it for a bunch of us, sweet irony. It's telegraphed so obviously though, it's not a big deal.

Personally I think they should've ended it with Leia saying goodbye to Rey, and given it an Empire feel... getting to the planet and meeting Luke added nothing.

Yeah, absolutely everyone I spoke to said the ending should've been about five minutes before the actual ending. Personally ending it on them going into hyperspace to find Luke would've been the perfect setup to get people pumped for movie number 8.

It was in no way as bad as the prequels, in fact it was quite enjoyable, but I agree with those reviewers who said that they understood that poems rhymed, but did it have to be the same poem all over again?

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like to think that Luke gave R2D2 the map to where he was gonna hide, under strict instruction to hibernate until Han Solo was dead. Once Han's dead you can show them where I am R2, I just really don't want to see that fuckin' guy again!!

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

So was there ever a story or something about what happened to Jar-Jar Binks after he implemented space fascism for everyone?

He was befallen by the worst fate anyone could possibly imagine--a lifelong career in politics:

quote:

However, Best does share some behind-the-scenes intel about a deleted scene involving Jar Jar filmed for Revenge of the Sith that would have expanded upon what happened to Binks after he infamously got the senate to unknowingly grant a Sith lord emergency powers in Attack of the Clones. “In Revenge of the Sith, there was a scene that was cut where I’m walking down a long pathway with Ian McDiarmid before he is turned into the Emperor,” Best explains. “And Palpatine kind of thanks Jar Jar for putting him in power. It’s a really interesting scene, and it shows the evolution of Jar Jar from this fun-loving kid’s character into this manipulated politician. And it was an interesting arc for the character that I thought could have been explored, because the scene is really dark. But it just didn’t fit in the movie, which I understand. But yeah, George’s take on it is Jar Jar is now just a politician.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2012/02/11/star-wars-deleted-scene-revenge-of-the-sith-jar-jar-binks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

He was befallen by the worst fate anyone could possibly imagine--a lifelong career in politics:

http://www.ew.com/article/2012/02/11/star-wars-deleted-scene-revenge-of-the-sith-jar-jar-binks

Poor Jar-Jar. I guess he lost his job in A New Hope too. :(

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

When both of them finally get some action and it turns out they just fight like Sonic the Hedgehog, it kind of throws that out the window.
I'm kind of ok with Sheev busting out the ridiculous moves in RotS because he's pretty much doing it for no other reason than to gently caress with Yoda. It's just fun for him.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I am super excited to experience the deft plotting and intricate storyline from a series that gave us a character named sleazebaggano

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Just finished A New Hope. Lots more audience engagement with his one. Cheers, laughs, clapping. The general movie going audience does seem to overwhelmingly prefer the OT

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

jivjov posted:

The general movie going audience does seem to overwhelmingly prefer the OT

You're not in a general movie going audience.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I can't imagine someone attending a 15 hour marathon is composed of the general movie going audience.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

jivjov posted:

Just finished A New Hope. Lots more audience engagement with his one. Cheers, laughs, clapping. The general movie going audience does seem to overwhelmingly prefer the OT

As a brit i find the american cinema experience very strange (Assuming youre in america of course, I hear it alot from them). Nobody claps or cheers in the cinema here. If you do anything but laugh you'll get very disapproving looks and maybe even a tut. You wouldn't applaud a nice painting or a song on the radio right? Whats the appeal in clapping at a movie screen?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It bugs me when people chat over an entire movie (I rewatched Fury Road with some friends, one hadn't seen it before, the others would not shut up argh) but I can't imagine how not fun it would be to go to an action movie and not hoot and holler or anything.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
I really enjoyed the movie, but on reflection there were so many little script and direction flaws that could have been easily fixed.

JAKKU INTRO
- The "who talks first?" 'joke' when Kylo first meets Poe was was cringingly off-tone both for a SW movie and in the context of the grave situation.
- It should be illegal to use, in tyool 2015, the phrase "We've got company."
- Missed opportunity: Kylo could have used Poe's suspended-animation blaster shot to threaten Poe himself. I don't recall anyone being threatened by their own bullet before.

- Sooo many similarities between this film and the originals that it was distracting: droid with data lost in the desert, found by person with latent abilities, Han confronted by angry creditors, bar full of scoundrels, blow up the big death star by blasting its Achilles heel.... Those are not what makes the SW universe what it is. Come up with another mini-adventure to show off Han's character, don't rehash the old situations.

1st ACT ON JAKKU
- They could have showed that either Rey was scavenging from the AT-AT, or that she lived inside it. Otherwise she just appears to be using it as a lunch spot.
- There was no good reason for the guy who captured BB-8 in the net to release it to Rey, or for Rey to care about releasing BB-8. Perhaps she could have claimed ownership of BB-8 because he strayed onto her claimed territory?
- When she met up with the pawnbroker/dealer, it wasn't made obvious why she rejected his over-generous offer. Was it suspicion (if so, why?), or did she just like BB-8 sooo much that she was prepared to give up months of food? If so, why? BB-8 was cute but it gave her no reason to be loyal to it.
- Missed opportunity: Captain Phasma could have removed her helmet too when she confronts Finn at the beginning, giving her a bit more character and more of a reason for Finn to get his own back on her in the third act. She didn't come across as a particularly mean boss, so it was incongruous when he later gets really emotional about expressing his dominance over her.
- Confusing how the stolen Tie Fighter was swallowed up by the sand. I initially thought it was being destroyed by a monster or quicksand, compelling Finn to run far away. But he just stood there and went 'welp'. They should have made it clearer what destroyed it.
- Incongruous for Finn to going from being weak and desperate for water, to running over to help Rey when she was attacked. The dude's dying of thirst and two sips later he's back to normal and ready for action?

MEETING HAN
- Incongruous for Rey to state unequivocally that the Millennium Falcon was a piece of garbage, and then later on be amazed that she was on the famous Millennium Falcon that did the legendary Kessel Run in "14" parsecs.
- Rey/Finn (can't remember which) is incredulous at Han being able to understand Chewie, but the same person can talk to a beep-boop robot?
- Han drastically shows signs of age, but Chewie doesn't?
- Incongruous for the 2 gangs to stand off so far away from Han Solo. Why not walk right up to him?
- The release of the beasts to start the fight was a bit cliche. Why not have Han talk his way out of it by goading the 2 gangs to start fighting among themselves over who was going to get him? (This is also cliche I guess, but at least it allows Han to pull the trigger rather than someone else). And don't have Han outright tell the audience he's going to talk his way out of it. It's obvious he's outgunned, so he has no other choice.
- The smuggled monsters were inconsistent. First they're shown to be like sharks: instant and indiscriminate killing machines. But then later they're dragging Finn... somewhere? Where? They don't have a lair, and we've established that they're just big mouths that kill immediately. Finn would have been chomped as soon as he'd been caught.
- When the monster is attacking the Falcon's cockpit in the hangar, it's just meters away from juicy delicious gang members also firing at the Falcon. Wouldn't they be more concerned about attacking or retreating from the monster?

MAZ'S BAR
- Incongruous how empty and deserted the bar looked from the outside, compared with how packed it was inside. Where did everyone in the bar park their ships?
- "That Maz! She's a crazy character! Don't look at anything!"... followed by Maz not being very crazy at all, and it doesn't matter what you look at.
- The scene with Han's job offer to Rey was awkward. And she refuses without giving any emotional hint as to why. (Yeah we find out the reason later, but at this point it just seems irrational and bizarre)
- The cavalry arrives at the last minute... but how did they know where to go, and in force?

STARKILLER
- Nice fakeout when we think Kylo is going to kill the messenger, and instead just goes hogwild with his lightsaber on the console. But then the messenger mentions "a girl" and all of a sudden that's the trigger that sends Kylo over the edge to attack the messenger by the throat? At that point we have no reason to understand why that would affect him. We still don't.
- Missed opportunity with the Starkiller reveal. Perhaps establish it as just a regular planet base for the First Order, with an atmosphere and bases and ships, and then later on pull back to show that actually it's a giant machine. If it's so big it has an atmosphere, then maybe add some clouds or something to help show off the scale.
- I realize it's tough to show off the scale of things in space because there's nothing to compare them to, but putting the model of the Star Killer next to the Death Star and basically saying "yeah, it's bigger" conveys as much as saying "it's got power levels over 9000".

STARKILLER ATTACK
- Incongruous for Finn to start off the film as a stormtrooper and then tell Han he worked in sanitation. They should have made it clear from when he escaped with Poe that he was just a janitor press-ganged into becoming an unwilling warrior. And if he's an expert in sanitation, then maybe he can use his knowledge of the sewers to infiltrate the base?
- And his old Captain Phasma just happens to be guarding the shield generators? Even if that coincidence can be explained away, they hadn't generated enough beef between Finn and Phasma to justify Finn getting so trash-talky with her. Also "turn off the generators or we'll kill you" isn't much of a threat when the end result is you dying whatever you do.
- Lightsaber fight: Finn starts off unskilled, although he quickly gains an aptitude for using ship weapons. But there's no evidence he can use a lightsaber. To someone who has never picked one up before, he'd be swinging it wildly and Kylo would be toying with him. But instead he appears skilled enough to have a reasonable match, even though he eventually fails. The same thing happens when he fights with the stormtrooper outside Maz's bar. He's up against a much more highly-skilled opponent but still manages to survive more than 2 seconds.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

therobotking posted:

As a brit i find the american cinema experience very strange (Assuming youre in america of course, I hear it alot from them). Nobody claps or cheers in the cinema here. If you do anything but laugh you'll get very disapproving looks and maybe even a tut. You wouldn't applaud a nice painting or a song on the radio right? Whats the appeal in clapping at a movie screen?

It's an expression of joy

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

therobotking posted:

You probably also don't understand shooting your guns in the air while hollering in excitement during big scenes, because you're from a bygone era

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I say this a lot but if you watched Furious 7 and at the part where The Rock flexes the cast off his broken arm so he can go ram a drone and steal its minigun the theater is dead quiet then your culture has failed you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

therobotking posted:

I've seen a few films in the US and never had a crowd that was any different to watching a film here in the UK.

Enjoyment breakdown:
+ button on popcorn is good
- the chain I went to had the screen really high and all the seats on the same level rather than stadium style, which is dumb and stupid.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

quote:

flaws

Oh cool I'm glad CinemaSins showed up to the thread.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 17, 2015

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I really liked this:

http://samueldelany.tumblr.com/post/82806452407/samuel-delany-reviews-the-first-star-wars-movie

Samuel Delany's original review of "A New Hope". Reading it reminded my why I never get upset about plot holes or bad dialogue in Star Wars movies: they are part of the package. And that's fine with me.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

therobotking posted:

Well, in my experience most movie theaters in America I've been to are in fact pretty quiet during the movie! You get people making involuntary emotional reaction noises, but anything else makes people think you're an rear end in a top hat usually.

Clapping at the end is really rare unless the movie just blew everyone out of the water, and I can't even remember the last time I saw that happen and I'm old as hell. :corsair:

Nerd movie marathon screenings aren't normal though, so people not shutting the gently caress up during them isn't surprising. Also, people on the internet who claim to have said something clever during a movie and gotten laughs/applause are lying.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I don't mind loud laughing or clapping or cheering during appropriate parts but it really annoys me when people talk or their phone lights up during dialogue or serious parts. And I've noticed its always the same type of person who does that.

You know what I'm saying.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I feel like most of those "incongruous" issues with the film are from someone who doesn't really get "show don't tell".

Just a few as I'm at work:

Rey goes into the at-at where there's clearly a hammock and loads of poo poo stashed, and scratches a tally mark on the wall - the camera pans back and she's been there forever. There's a couple of establishing shots of her looking worriedly at the woman next to her who is an obvious "if you stay here you'll have to be here forever" lesson. This sets up mystery and tension - she doesn't want to be that person, but she's recording how long she's been there, something important is going on.

Finn - Finn is a storm trooper (I feel like the sanitation bit was weird too) who is trained in combat situations. He's a soldier, trained from birth - so much that he doesn't have a name - to be a trooper. He meets the other guy who has the stun baton, implying that there's some sword style training for troopers these days. He's not going to be incredibly good, but then again he gets beaten both times - first by the trooper and against a wounded Ren at the end.

Same with the water - yeah he's parched and very very thirsty, but then he jumps up, because he's just had a realisation that he's got to do "the right thing", no matter the cost - as he just did.

Rey and the Falcon - there's a lot of freighters around the Galaxy, right? And how would she even make the connection between rusted pile of junk over there and the legendary ship of Han Solo?

Seems, really, that you'd prefer the (prequel) old way of Star Wars storytelling - massive exposition scenes of people slowly and woodenly talking to each other down a corridor

Certainly not an impeccable movie but a lot of those points are a bit.... Well, unobservant really.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

BillBear posted:

The fact he was tiny and fragile made it clear he couldn't fight with the saber if he wanted to, plus as we later saw, it wouldn't matter as he was insanely skilled in the force and it wouldn't make any sense for him to downgrade himself so much by using a lightsaber.

To be fair, Yoda and Dooku try dropping force rocks on each other and electro-zapping each other before the swords come out.

Plus all of this arguably also applies to Vader/ObiWan in 4.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

therobotking posted:

It's a shared experience with shared energy. We also have sports bars here for similar reasons.

Clapping and cheering is really rare unless it's really crowd-rousing. Creed, for instance, got claps because it was generated to raise that kind of emotion. Otherwise it's pretty normal.

Nerd-focused movies with nerdy premiers get a ton because the people going to see them are already ultra hyped.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is it controversial to think if you just take TFA vs ANH for the moment, that Kylo Ren is a far better bad guy than Darth Vader was? Naturally you can't have Ren without ANH/Vader, but there's actual depth to him and Driver does a superb job. Taking the mask off was a risky move, and I was hoping that it would happen but wasn't expecting it to come halfway through the movie. The scene with him and Han was great, and the lightsaber duel was excellent. Vader is just a bad guy with nothing else to him at the end of ANH, whereas Ren is this confused, angry, unpredictable guy who feels far more dangerous despite his lack of ability in comparison.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Electromax posted:

To be fair, Yoda and Dooku try dropping force rocks on each other and electro-zapping each other before the swords come out.

Plus all of this arguably also applies to Vader/ObiWan in 4.

Vader and Obi Wan were knights and not wizards as far as the fantasy imagery goes. Yes I know Vader is referenced as having wizarding ways, but that's the imagery that everything is drawn from.

The prequels got rid of this kind of hierarchy, and made everyone weapon users and knight type characters shoot lightning, for better or worse.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

minato posted:

I really enjoyed the movie, but on reflection there were so many little script and direction flaws that could have been easily fixed.

You know what's way more interesting than writing fanfiction or playing movie producer? Talking about the film as it actually exists.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can't wait till Lucasfilm releases the mod tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is it controversial to think if you just take TFA vs ANH for the moment, that Kylo Ren is a far better bad guy than Darth Vader was? Naturally you can't have Ren without ANH/Vader, but there's actual depth to him and Driver does a superb job. Taking the mask off was a risky move, and I was hoping that it would happen but wasn't expecting it to come halfway through the movie. The scene with him and Han was great, and the lightsaber duel was excellent. Vader is just a bad guy with nothing else to him at the end of ANH, whereas Ren is this confused, angry, unpredictable guy who feels far more dangerous despite his lack of ability in comparison.

Kylo is great, everything about him from his force choke and outfit to him trying to frighten his subordinates just reeks of him trying to be like Vader, but it all falls flat at some points and he just comes across as this totally frightened and confused child, it's awesome as gently caress and refreshing. It would be boring if we just got Vader 2.0 where he's 100% confident and skilled in everything because we had that in the prequels. Also you sometimes get that Solo sense of humour peaking through ever so slightly at times. He's way better than ANH Vader for sure.

• Locked thread