Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

How is it not valid? What specific details are you needing considering the small scope of services Zendesk provides.

What directions of mail flow it's affecting, if it's limited to a specific region, if their system queues messages that haven't yet been parsed and added to the ticket database so we know if we need to dig through mail server logs and ask people to re-submit requests etc. Maybe say if they have gotten as far as identifying the cause, if they have a fix planned etc.

"It's broken, welp" isn't much help.

Edit: We ended up with 3 hours of "more info to follow". Compared to the service status that Office 365 manages to present there's a world of difference and can help in making the call as to whether you look to redirect support requests to a shared mailbox and try to reconcile it later or if you just sit it out.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My colleagues are children.

Constant bickering and trying to shove work away.
But 1 of them is just beyond lazy. I'll call him rick
An example;

A ticket comes in to place 6 monitors at some users desk (they were being upgraded to dual monitors)
It comes in during the shift Rick. Rick can't pawn the ticket to anyone else. (We all do this kind of stuff by ourselves and tell him to take care of it himself unless he has some appointments or whatever. he doesn't have any excuse to get out of it) He tries to pawn it off to someone else. no one budges
So during our weekly meeting, Rick brings this up and says that we aren't being helpful because we didn't want to help him place 6 monitors.
So the meeting now becomes about how we aren't being very collegial towards him and it kinda escalates from that. I then said. it's just 6 monitors. It's nothing to cry about, if you can't do this. I'll take it over. It's absurd that you need 3 other people to help you with this. In the end 4 IT workers were placing 6 monitors. In the same amount of time it would have taken me by myself. Because guess what, Rick was doing nothing and just standing arround, chatting.

Rick has been in IT for atleast 5 years.
During Rick's 1st line shift, a ticket comes in to reset a user's password in our testing environment. He has shortcuts for the active directory, topdesk and all other stuff.
So now he has to remote in to a server he apparently never goes in. He asks for help.
Rick: Can you reset a user in the testing environment?
Me: Kinda busy, can't you remote in?
Rick: What?
Me: open mstsc, click start and type in mstsc, press enter then enter the server name XX-XX-XX
Rick: I can't do that, it's not working
I walk over, show him how to do it, remote in to our testing dc and let him reset the user account.

After we upgraded to a new vdi. his shortcuts stopped working. Our senior had to put them all in like he wanted.
I can't comprehend this. At least 5 years in IT.

This guy also tricked me into taking over a project for him.
Rick: Hey Sefal. I have an appointment, but a guest is coming in soon, can you take him in and check what he wants.
Me: Fine no prob. I can do that. So I recieve the quest. I note what he wants. I tell Rick what I discussed with the guest and tells me to take care of what I discussed with the guest. Rick's reasoning "I can't do what you discussed with him. I would have never agreed on that" . He managed to make that project my responsibility just by letting me recieve that guest. And do you know what I had to do for the quest. Patch a network cable and insert a power supply extender. . The guest was installing a flat screen tv connected to a thinclient, showing some sort of website

I was involved in a project to make our 2 it departments 1. It was a succes I managed to do the 1st line for both applications and systems pretty easily.
So now we had a meeting to discuss implementing this for all 1st line colleagues
Rick stood his foot down and came with excuse after excuse to get out of doing the extra tickets. At one point he said
Rick:. Sefal can do that because he only does 1st line tickets.
Senior: Sefal has been very busy with projects for me. that's a very wrong image you have of him
Senior 2: Sefal has also been very busy doing projects for me.

That felt pretty good.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'd love to hear the mother loving reasoning why this dialog box was never made re-sizable

Even back in the Windows 95/98 days there were fifteen loving million models of HP printers. Inkjet Laserjet Officejet Deskjet Color Laserjet Buttjet

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bob Morales posted:

I'd love to hear the mother loving reasoning why this dialog box was never made re-sizable

Even back in the Windows 95/98 days there were fifteen loving million models of HP printers. Inkjet Laserjet Officejet Deskjet Color Laserjet Buttjet

Because you "have disk" and point it to E:\Drivers then point the computers to \\PrintServer\PrintFire

No one thinks about that lovely window so MS has never changed it.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
poo poo pissing me off: Support Creep.

No, not the guy Sefal was talking about, but rather over time, the customer I support has expected us to support more and things, including stuff I have no experience or knowledge of. Of course my employer is basically saying 'just do it' and are not supplying training or anything. I am good at figuring stuff out, but it sucks because our clients are paying for and expect an expert.

The worst part is they are now expecting support on the integration of custom 3rd party software with the things we do support. 3rd party software that is being put into production with very little testing, so I have been reduced to doing QA work in a live environment.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Isn't there one printer-related dialog box that hasn't been updated since Windows 95?

Edit: that might be it actually.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

:argh: "THE CONFERENCE ROOM TV SCREEN WONT SHOW THE COMPUTER"

:geno: No?

:argh: "WE HAVE THE INPUT SET ON COMPUTER"

:geno: There's a big giant sticker on the remote that says "use HDMI 1" for computer

This happens twice a week with the same 2-3 people.

I wish the TV company called the VGA input 'VGA' instead of 'COMPUTAR'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there ever a good reason to buy a half-height rack? Good god.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

:geno: There's a big giant sticker on the remote that says "use HDMI 1" for computer

This, every loving day of my life in this place. You'd think the sales people, out of pure repetition doing this almost daily for months on end, would catch on.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pissing me off, how rain somehow causes the internet to poo poo all over itself. I had 70% packet loss at one point. After a call support was able to work voodoo magic and its down to 4%. (more like it stopped raining as hard, or a line tech down the road fixed one of the issues).

Why does rain cause this? I just don't get it. I hate such a glaring issue being completely out of my control beyond call ISP and get them to send someone over with a window of "1PM to 5PM".

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

We have a java app at work that uses JRE6. :smith:

That is almost every app around here. We are moving some apps forward to Java 7. Why not Java 8 you ask? Well, the gold build around here just moved to Java 7 and currently has no plans to move to Java 8. If I want Java 8 on my app servers, I would need to be willing to be on call at all times for support. I would be expected to keep the OS, Webserver, and Java 8 all patched. Basically, I would have to become a system admin. I'd also triple the amount of paperwork I have to fill out every time we make a new release or a security scan is done.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Get a raspberry pi hooked up to the VGA port that says "switch to HDMI 1"

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

pixaal posted:

Pissing me off, how rain somehow causes the internet to poo poo all over itself. I had 70% packet loss at one point. After a call support was able to work voodoo magic and its down to 4%. (more like it stopped raining as hard, or a line tech down the road fixed one of the issues).

Why does rain cause this? I just don't get it. I hate such a glaring issue being completely out of my control beyond call ISP and get them to send someone over with a window of "1PM to 5PM".

Something isn't sealed somewhere. The cable company's box on my apartment building isn't sealed very well, rain blowing from the right direction will poo poo up service.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

captkirk posted:

Get a raspberry pi hooked up to the VGA port that says "switch to HDMI 1"

A ticket came in:

The computer's not working on the TV. All it says in an error message about HDMI 1.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

pixaal posted:

Water getting in the wires somewhere. It happens.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

How far do you guys think can I throw a Zebra printer?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Bob Morales posted:

We had a Zebra printer at my old job - it was pretty loving heavy.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

pixaal posted:

Do you live in a usually sunny area? When I worked RES DSL support for Qwest, one of the experienced techs told me to tell the customers in Arizona to turn on a sprinkler when the trucks rolled out, so that they could see the interference on the lines when they were soaked. The sun would beat down on the exposed cables and crack them open. It was insane.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Bob Morales posted:

That's not counting the other print server with another 30 or so desktop zebras, or the ~75 wireless ql320/ql420s that are out there. :negative:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

What kind? We had some that were maybe 6" long, and then some that were as big as a breadbox.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

If its a P450 pretty reasonably far, if its a ZM400 not that far.

What issue are you having? I hate the drat things but have learned a few tricks (restore to factory defaults, nuke the windows driver, and reinstall it. Somehow they like they corrupt their driver).

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Is there ever a good reason to buy a half-height rack? Good god.
When you're a small company that doesn't have any more than 1-2 servers and will never grow beyond that footprint? They're really common.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

devmd01 posted:

That's not counting the other print server with another 30 or so desktop zebras, or the ~75 wireless ql320/ql420s that are out there. :negative:

What the hell are they doing with all of those? Some sort of distribution department printing shipping labels? A bunch of monkeys printing labels for manila folders?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Ding ding, warehouse shipping/receiving operations across 30+ locations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Aunt Beth posted:

When you're a small company that doesn't have any more than 1-2 servers and will never grow beyond that footprint? They're really common.

I have a desktop rack for my single server.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

kensei posted:

Do you live in a usually sunny area? When I worked RES DSL support for Qwest, one of the experienced techs told me to tell the customers in Arizona to turn on a sprinkler when the trucks rolled out, so that they could see the interference on the lines when they were soaked. The sun would beat down on the exposed cables and crack them open. It was insane.

East coast, nothing too crazy, fall always seems to break everything, and winter you have no issues. I never get how snow doesn't mess with this stuff.

Still waiting on the ISP, people are angry about "no internet" it's up enough for me to post, I'm more worried about "phones disconnecting every 90 seconds". I gave the ISP a follow up call to at least be able to say I made an effort, reiterating that it's costing us business.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

pixaal posted:

If its a P450 pretty reasonably far, if its a ZM400 not that far.

What issue are you having? I hate the drat things but have learned a few tricks (restore to factory defaults, nuke the windows driver, and reinstall it. Somehow they like they corrupt their driver).

Hey guys! The easiest way to fix these is to factory reset it. I'm not gonna tell you how though!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Hey guys! The easiest way to fix these is to factory reset it. I'm not gonna tell you how though!

I think most models you hold the button down until it flashes 4 times. Different models have different codes though I believe. I've only worked with a few models though.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Speaking of Zebra printers, I've only ever had to work with one. One of our clients was paying us to add support for the one printer they had I guess.

Anyway, my boss bought one and had it shipped to me so I could start messing with it, and I couldn't get the poo poo to work at all.

I told him that I couldn't get it to work, and he was just like, "Oh yeah, the one I got you was listed on eBay as 'for parts or not working.'"

So essentially, "Hey, Mogomra. You have to make this work with the thing. Here's a broken thing so you know what it looks like. Get to it!"

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
Things pissing me off: suddenly, our VM for MS Dynamics just decided that 86 its network adapter without really alerting anyone.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

pixaal posted:

East coast, nothing too crazy, fall always seems to break everything, and winter you have no issues. I never get how snow doesn't mess with this stuff.

Still waiting on the ISP, people are angry about "no internet" it's up enough for me to post, I'm more worried about "phones disconnecting every 90 seconds". I gave the ISP a follow up call to at least be able to say I made an effort, reiterating that it's costing us business.

Snow does not conduct electricity like water, and it is solid so does not flow into small openings.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Did somebody say Zebra printers?

*convulses*

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Zebra drivers: better or worse than HP drivers?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I'll take HP drivers over anything Zebra any day.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thanatosian posted:

Zebra drivers: better or worse than HP drivers?

If Zebra driver packages don't include an entire apache server for some reason, then HP is still worse.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Migishu posted:

Did somebody say Zebra printers?

*convulses*

Worst part of my tenure in Nordstrom IT. Zebra printers all the way down.

Turn it off. Ok now turn on the thing its plugged into. Ok, do a rain dance. Turn on the printer. Pray a little. *hears crunching noises* ahhhhh

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I made a little Python program that creates a 2.25" x 0.75" label. It prints 'right' on a 4x6 label but when I load the roll of 2.25" x 0.75" labels, NOTHING PRINTS EVER. No test pages, no printer self-tests (config page), nothing. Ever.

It's like it's not getting the paper size, or I'm not telling it there's a new width of media somehow.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

If Zebra driver packages don't include an entire apache server for some reason, then HP is still worse.

Sounds like someone has experienced the joys of HP Universal Print Drivers!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Zebra or Intermec? Which one is worse?

(the answer is all printers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Jeoh posted:

Zebra or Intermec? Which one is worse?

(the answer is all printers)

That's like asking if its worse to be shot or beheaded.