Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

After playing a bit of Horizons though I am mad jonesin for atmospheric reentry. :getin:

Same :hfive:

Libluini posted:

Outfitting a Viper IV for some exploration trips. (I just like the look of the ship.)

I also like the look of the Viper MkIV a lot, enough so that I dropped 30 mil on an absurd A-class combat-explorer build for it. It flies like a dream, better than the Vulture and deceptively less undergunned than a Vulture than it might seem on paper. I was still killing things just as fast with this build.

Probably can't solo a Conda wing or a pair of Pythons in it like I could with the Vulture, but hell, it's fun to fly. Nice jump range and generous fuel tank, AND it can run beams and not have to undeploy hardpoints to use shield cells! Downside: no KWS. I'm not missing it much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

I also like the look of the Viper MkIV a lot, enough so that I dropped 30 mil on an absurd A-class combat-explorer build for it. It flies like a dream, better than the Vulture and deceptively less undergunned than a Vulture than it might seem on paper. I was still killing things just as fast with this build.

Probably can't solo a Conda wing or a pair of Pythons in it like I could with the Vulture, but hell, it's fun to fly. Nice jump range and generous fuel tank, AND it can run beams and not have to undeploy hardpoints to use shield cells! Downside: no KWS. I'm not missing it much.

There is no goddamn way I'd spend 21 million on an interdiction module unless it can interdict ships up to 20+ light years away.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Is the ASP still the best all around general use, exploration and loving around ship? I Mean I can afford a type 7, but I've always liked to stay with mid-tier ships.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
FYI, for those looking to purchase an Imperial Cutter:

Its base cost is 208,969,451 CR. According to Reddit and Google, no station in Li Yong Rui territory sells it (which would mean a 15% discount), but you can get a 10% discount, both at Founder's World, or if you're me, at Parkinson Dock, in Eotienses System, which benefits from the Denton Patreus discount, for a final cost of 188,072,505 CR.

dvorak posted:

Is the ASP still the best all around general use, exploration and loving around ship? I Mean I can afford a type 7, but I've always liked to stay with mid-tier ships.

The Asp Explorer is the best multirole ship at its price range (7M). After the Asp, there's the Clipper (23M) and the Python (57M)

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 17, 2015

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Asmodai_00 posted:

There is no goddamn way I'd spend 21 million on an interdiction module unless it can interdict ships up to 20+ light years away.

Eh, I don't plan on keeping it, so I don't mind.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

WebDog posted:

So with shadow smuggling, does this mean I have to do stuff like go into silent running when interdicted to somehow throw off a scan? Or it's time to figure out a new Robigo Run ship that somehow takes up to around 200T in cargo space and can outrun things....so an Orca?

If you have a t6 or an asp with A boosters, an A distributor, and four pips to engines, and just burn in a straight line, you'll generally get out of scan range before it completes. Keep in mind that outranging the scanner is the ONLY way to beat the scanner. Silent running and heat sinks will help prevent a scan from happening in the first place, but if you see "scan detected", only running works.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

IAmTheRad posted:

I found him, guys!

Looks like he got an upgrade, last time I wrecked him he was like an Eagle

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bushiz posted:

If you have a t6 or an asp with A boosters, an A distributor, and four pips to engines, and just burn in a straight line, you'll generally get out of scan range before it completes. Keep in mind that outranging the scanner is the ONLY way to beat the scanner. Silent running and heat sinks will help prevent a scan from happening in the first place, but if you see "scan detected", only running works.
Silent running does mean you'll get out of range a lot sooner though.

I don't know if the AI cheats in this regard or not (quite hard to test), but if it doesn't you should be fine once you get further than 500m away. I've personally never been scanned while silent running until the fuzz were right on top of me, that's purely anecdotal though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

OK I've been looking through Steam forums and other places and between angry nerds upset at the price of an expansion and other stuff I haven't been able to get a straight answer so I'll ask here. If I don't have ED already I should just buy Horizons if I want in right?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Yes. If you don't own Elite already it is included in Horizons.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
I know Elite is not perfect, but the top 30 most helpful Steam reviews are negative?:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/419270/reviews/?browsefilter=toprated&snr=1_5_reviews_

I'm quite happy with my moon buggy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Beexoffel posted:

I know Elite is not perfect, but the top 30 most helpful Steam reviews are negative?:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/419270/reviews/?browsefilter=toprated&snr=1_5_reviews_

Yeah that's the angry nerds I was talking about, most of the negative reviews seem to be pissed off about having to pay $60 for an expansion which is always what major expansions have cost?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Ratings on steam reviews are garbage since people just click up or down on reviews that agree/disagree with their already established biases regardless of context or content.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

HiroProtagonist posted:

Minus the stupidly expensive interdictor I guess I've found the next step up from my Cobra III

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Beexoffel posted:

Eh, not for me. Maybe because Steam defaults to German when I visit? About half of the most helpful Steam reviews are positive for me.

And overall positive reaction. Looks good to me.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

Minus the stupidly expensive interdictor I guess I've found the next step up from my Cobra III

You could also try the build I just created for an Imp Courier. I tried to build it for a similar role, but with a less conventional loadout, and I think it'd work well. It's about the same price as the aforementioned Viper MkIV-minus-stupidly-expensive-inter-my-dictor. It has no dictor at all, actually, but I don't think that's a huge problem as there are ways to work around that.

After experiencing the Intermediate scanner I fitted the Viper with, I don't think I'd go with anything less than Advanced, if fitting any scanner at all, in the future.

Also if anyone has any feedback on the above build, that'd be really helpful. In particular I'm torn between going for Reinforced Alloys/Military Grade hull vs. Lightweight, since it does add a measurable amount to its mass, impacting its range (and I assume, maneuverability) when the shields are already quite strong for its size class.

e: I assumed the third hardpoint was the nose hardpoint, if that's incorrect, assume that the fixed mount PA is in the nose.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 17, 2015

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Bushiz posted:

I was having trouble getting clear with my A-grade Asp despite never having this issue before the update. Thankfully the new and improved heatsinks are amazing for buying you time if you get a Viper glued to your exhaust less than 200m away.

Also a loadout that worked well on my iCourier is a fixed C2 Burst laser on the chin hardpoint, fixed C2 Pulse laser on one of the wings and a projectile weapon on the other (in my case a C2 dumbfire missile launcher).

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Ratings on steam reviews are garbage since people just click up or down on reviews that agree/disagree with their already established biases regardless of context or content.

Some highlights:

"A description text like "incredible, connected, player-driven Elite Dangerous galaxy" is a complete joke and a slap to the face."

"Instead of just the buggy to go to no where, why not have a settlement"

"Nothings changed."

"Now it turns out they misled customers about a free ship you were supposed to get with purchase. Nope, turns out you have to buy the ship in-game."

"One of the next "mayor" features we should get this year is crafting."

"I love the game, but I hate the company."

"$40 later, the game still isn't fun. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Never Again."

:nallears: :frontear:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

To be fair, if people like those stop playing Elite, the game can only get better. Because holy gently caress would I hate to play with people as aggressively stupid as them. :stare:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Libluini posted:

To be fair, if people like those stop playing Elite, the game can only get better. Because holy gently caress would I hate to play with people as aggressively stupid as them. :stare:
This game would be great if it wasn't for the loving players.

I'm being glib - the game is already great, for all the reasons N4I posted earlier (ie: the "holy poo poo I'm a spaceman!" factor) :v:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

The "free ship" that right there in the promotional text says that you'll have to purchase in-game?

:downsgun:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Nice ship name fuckhead

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Can you land on The Moon with the expansion?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Not at the moment, they have said "eventually".

They're taking a more hand crafted route for our solar system, they probably want to make it a bit special.

edit: If it's any consolation, you can land on Europa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyPoaVRErE0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OukPkPZgT4

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 17, 2015

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Does doing the community event stuff have a good rate of return? Wondering if hauling snowballs 4 units at a time between stations will be faster than cashing in 200k bounties from space pirates.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

It still disappoints me that Ceres doesn't even seem to exist in the game. Like, Ceres isn't huge, but it contains like 30% of the mass in the asteroid belt and is a dwarf planet actively being visited by a spacecraft right now. I think it'd be fascinating to have it as a landable body. In addition, its low gravity would make it an excellent place for a settlement.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Here's what I'm rolling with currently, having mothballed the Vulture and mining Python for the moment to bask in the glory of barrel rolling moon buggies : the Asp-ergers (it loving bothers me to no end that I have size 1/2 stuff in size 2/3 slots, gently caress you :frontear: give me appropriately-sized modules)

besides being a fat space cow, and me wanting to replace the small bursts with small beams that are not available in Xihe (unsure if the PD and PP can handle the heat/power draw though, will have to field test), I'm pretty happy with this build for exploration, planetside stuff, CGs and general hauling/kill pirates missions within the bubble, and if I ever want to go anywhere far away, just slap a size 6 fuel scoop in it and it's ready to go. 28 LY unladen while fully combat fit is not bad at all :getin:

Are there any improvements I could still make, or am I at the upper limit here? I have a fair bunch of money leftover, around 30 mil, and I think I could do better for weapons but I'm not sure how (can't aim fixed stuff so railguns and PAs are out)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 17, 2015

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Luneshot posted:

It still disappoints me that Ceres doesn't even seem to exist in the game. Like, Ceres isn't huge, but it contains like 30% of the mass in the asteroid belt and is a dwarf planet actively being visited by a spacecraft right now. I think it'd be fascinating to have it as a landable body. In addition, its low gravity would make it an excellent place for a settlement.

I'm pretty disappointed with the the hand crafted content in the game as a whole to be honest. Sol is OK, but Achenar? The homeworld/moon of the Empire doesn't even have city lights on its night side, let alone a custom texture. I don't think the station names are actually randomly generated but you could have fooled me. Elite could really benefit from having some designed areas where players are encouraged to congregate (powerplay capitals? rare goods?), with just little things like a paragraph of backstory, actual names for the planets, some interestingly named factions and stations. Imagination is great but I'd like not to have to imagine everything.

Tangential moan, why do new players start in a shithole like LHS 34whatever? In a system with the stations random genned to be ten minutes away from arrival? Why not stick them in Eranin, give that super hand-crafted region some life in it again?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
After a lot of trying out different builds, I've finally settled on this monstrosity to explore the bubble a bit more before making any deep strikes again.

Exploration Cruiser

For stuff outside the bubble I still have my Asp. Overspecialized and suspect to change, but here it is.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Strategic Tea posted:

Elite could really benefit from having some designed areas where players are encouraged to congregate (powerplay capitals? rare goods?), with just little things like a paragraph of backstory, actual names for the planets, some interestingly named factions and stations. Imagination is great but I'd like not to have to imagine everything.

There are good systems with backstory, funny cameos or interesting features, mostly in the Lave cluster, any place that has rare goods, and this little gem. I'm sure there are a lot more, but when you have 400 billion star systems and no story or other way (or any intention, really) of pointing players specifically towards them they just get lost in the ungodly amount of randomized noise.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 17, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

HiroProtagonist posted:

The "free ship" that right there in the promotional text says that you'll have to purchase in-game?

:downsgun:

I've played a lot of online games but Elite is the only one with a playerbase that consistently makes up a completely different reality about what Frontier said or "promised" in their head and then get extremely mad at Frontier when their special snowflake reality doesn't come true

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Cowcaster posted:

Does doing the community event stuff have a good rate of return? Wondering if hauling snowballs 4 units at a time between stations will be faster than cashing in 200k bounties from space pirates.

Add me in-game and let's go bounty hunting.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

It depends on the CE payout and your ship. Trading CE's provide a lot of fun traffic, since a lot of people play in open, and doing these will really make the game feel "alive" in ways that are hard to find anywhere else. There's usually some CE that has you turning in bounties anyway, so you might as well pick those up for the extra cash. Getting top 15% isn't usually a huge time commitment if you have a vulture or better for combat CE's, or a T7 or better for Trade CE's

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Libluini posted:

Eh, not for me. Maybe because Steam defaults to German when I visit? About half of the most helpful Steam reviews are positive for me.

And overall positive reaction. Looks good to me.

I'm in Holland, so it defaults to English and looks like this:

And that's just the tip.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

TorakFade posted:

There are good systems with backstory, funny cameos or interesting features, mostly in the Lave cluster, any place that has rare goods, and this little gem. I'm sure there are a lot more, but when you have 400 billion star systems and no story or other way (or any intention, really) of pointing players specifically towards them they just get lost in the ungodly amount of randomized noise.

There are a few, yeah, I just think we need more, or a way to make them stand out. I love the Eranin area because it's full of little things like 'floating cities on this planet follow the seasonal migration of the fish' or whatever. It doesn't overrule Elite's make your own fun style, just gives you something to grab onto so you remember the name of LS 3421 or wherever.

Beexoffel posted:

badreviews.jpg

And that's just the tip.

Same here, and it makes me sad :( Frontier aren't perfect but they deserve better than the awful space sim fanbase.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Beexoffel posted:

And that's just the tip.

Helacious mad nerds out there lmao

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Shine posted:

Add me in-game and let's go bounty hunting.

I work weird hours so I'm usually only around 10AM to 1ish EST, except on Mondays and Tuesdays which are my weekend. If that works out though I'll try to catch up with you in game.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Cowcaster posted:

Not in the sense of getting rich quick, but the effort required to qualify for a payout is typically pretty minimal so they're basically free money if you're already in the area and it's not something like a mining CG that requires Painite.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Any currently ongoing Community Goals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Annath posted:

Any currently ongoing Community Goals?