Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
This article about Jeb! is very exciting!

Jeb (!) Did (!) Not (!) Have (!) A (!) Good (!) Night (!)
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a40551/jeb-old-yeller-option/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

This article about Jeb! is very exciting!

Jeb (!) Did (!) Not (!) Have (!) A (!) Good (!) Night (!)
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a40551/jeb-old-yeller-option/

i thought you were being cute with that headline but lol

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
StPetePolls/Fextel poll of active Republican primary voters in Florida here.

Trump Trumpin' and Cruz Cruisin' past the native sons

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Jeb polling at less than 10% in Florida must really sting for him.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

DynamicSloth posted:

Two cycles is a terribly small sample size to dismiss the importance of Iowa, especially since the McCain and Romney campaigns greatly benefited from better than expected Iowa results.

Everyone who is competitive to win Iowa this year would also have vastly more money in the bank to prep for the extremely expensive South Carolina campaign than the dead broke Huckabee and Sanatorum campaigns did.

Iowa on the whole is a decent representation of support for the rest of the nation (it's usually a tossup state in the presidential election), but Iowa as a primary is kind of a mess. Too rural, too white, too evangelical, and they have their weird caucus system. As long as you place top 3 you can justify hanging in the race for a while longer I suppose, but for the most part its importance is overblown especially relative to NH and SC.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Jeb polling at less than 10% in Florida must really sting for him.

I'm so happy that even with him and Rubio to pick from Florida Republicans would still prefer somebody else.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Xenophon posted:

quote:

Would you support Donald Trump for president if he wins the Republican nomination?
Yes: 73.0%
No: 19.9%
Unsure: 7.1%

It is getting harder and harder to picture the prophecized establishment candidate who will unite a coalition of anti-Trump voters for a win.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Michael Corleone posted:

Calling it now, Trump/Rubio ticket. Cruz ain't gonna get him the votes that he doesn't have. Also, not here, but on other forums, people act like Trump would be someones VP??? Are they serious?! That is beneath him, not even being ironic, you know he would never accept a VP run.

Actually, there may be something to this. Olive branches and inroads will have to be made if things continue the way they're going. I also think Paul Ryan could be a likely option. And you're right, Trump would never be someone's VP.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Subvisual Haze posted:

It is getting harder and harder to picture the prophecized establishment candidate who will unite a coalition of anti-Trump voters for a win.

Trump is also winning all those "Who has the best chance in the general" questions...

Republican voters think he's best on the economy, and national security.

And whenever there is a crisis Trump's numbers rise...

Things are getting weirder and weirder.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Montasque posted:

No. The people behind Jeb are the same Neo-Con poo poo lords that filled his brother's admin. Trump says terrible stuff but the Bush family does terrible stuff.

Oh Lord, I don't want him to become President, I just think that him pulling ahead of Trump (and, to a lesser extent, all the other nightmare candidates) only to get crushed by Hillary Clinton would give me the most schadenfreude bang for my buck.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dahbadu posted:

Actually, there may be something to this. Olive branches and inroads will have to be made if things continue the way they're going. I also think Paul Ryan could be a likely option. And you're right, Trump would never be someone's VP.

This may be true, but the VP slot in the event of a Trump nomination is up to only him. I think it's 50/50 that he gives the olive branch to the GOPe or chooses someone rich and batshit.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

docbeard posted:

Oh Lord, I don't want him to become President, I just think that him pulling ahead of Trump (and, to a lesser extent, all the other nightmare candidates) only to get crushed by Hillary Clinton would give me the most schadenfreude bang for my buck.

For me watching Jeb Bush spend over $100 million of the worst people's money, and losing badly to a clown, is the greatest thing ever.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aliquid posted:

I think it's 50/50 that he gives the olive branch to the GOPe or chooses someone rich and batshit.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xenophon posted:

Conducted with robodial polling so probably pretty flawed.

Edit: robocall, not just dial.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 17, 2015

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I need this so much more than I realized. :pray:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Aliquid posted:

This may be true, but the VP slot in the event of a Trump nomination is up to only him. I think it's 50/50 that he gives the olive branch to the GOPe or chooses someone rich and batshit.

I think it's very doubtful he'll be choosing a mini version of himself. He knows how the game is played, and dare I say it, make a deal (I feel dirty). Just see his answer regarding running as third party during the last debate.

It also takes a lot of work and skill running for national office. It's loving hard. He'll pick someone he can trust (for the most part), someone that he feels is a strong candidate with experience, and someone that shows he's playing ball with the GOP.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So Obama quit bombing ISIL today

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-12-17/new-russian-air-defenses-in-syria-keep-u-s-grounded

This wouldn't have happened if Trump were President.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Xenophon posted:

El Jebe not breaking double digits in his own state.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
I really wanna know whose grandmother does the graphics for these people

at least its not full of memes

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ted Cruz says he supports American Oil jobs, but uses renewable energy to power his plane.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I don't think he knows how planes work.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Trump / McMahon 2016. Best election ever.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Subvisual Haze posted:

Iowa on the whole is a decent representation of support for the rest of the nation (it's usually a tossup state in the presidential election), but Iowa as a primary is kind of a mess. Too rural, too white, too evangelical, and they have their weird caucus system. As long as you place top 3 you can justify hanging in the race for a while longer I suppose, but for the most part its importance is overblown especially relative to NH and SC.

That may be a fair point in the Democratic primary but for the GOP rural, white and evangelical are all major constituencies, who matter a lot more than New Hampshire's independents. For the primary calendar Iowa is also a lot more like South Carolina and the bulk of the Super Tuesday states than New Hampshire.

The caucus system is dumb as gently caress but the organizational skill it takes to figure it out represents a real organizational advantage, as was obvious in the 2008 Democratic primary. The ability to map out how to win Iowa suggests a candidate who can handle the complex delegate math that will very quickly come in to play in the event of a NH/IA split decision.

Assuming the winner is not starting out dead broke this time I'd definitely bet on the Iowa winner to have the advantage over whoever wins New Hampshire. South Carolina is even more determinitive but unlikely to be a different candidate then the winner of one of the first two contests.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

So after Jeb labeled him the "Chaos Candidate" Trump's Super Pac, /pol/, responded with some dank memes.

Also David Limbough, Rush's brother, retweeted this one:

I think it's safe to say Jeb lost this meme war.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
If anyone wants to post a Toxx for any specific GOP candidate, there is now a place where you can indulge such self-destructive fantasies.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

My Imaginary GF posted:

So Obama quit bombing ISIL today

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-12-17/new-russian-air-defenses-in-syria-keep-u-s-grounded

This wouldn't have happened if Trump were President.

quote:

The actual number of U.S. flights that were supporting Syrian groups in this area was not large. Officials told us that Defense Secretary Ash Carter had been resisting a more comprehensive air campaign in the area for two reasons: Some of the groups fighting there are not vetted and include Islamic brigades, including the al-Nusrah Front. Also, Carter prefers a strategy of supporting Syrian Kurds with weapons and having them take over the border territory.

We're still very much bombing Daesh yo.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
why does /pol/ keep making him a dang ol loyalist marine if hes the CHAOS CANDIDATE. you dopes, youre screwing it up!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

DynamicSloth posted:

That may be a fair point in the Democratic primary but for the GOP rural, white and evangelical are all major constituencies, who matter a lot more than New Hampshire's independents. For the primary calendar Iowa is also a lot more like South Carolina and the bulk of the Super Tuesday states than New Hampshire.

The caucus system is dumb as gently caress but the organizational skill it takes to figure it out represents a real organizational advantage, as was obvious in the 2008 Democratic primary. The ability to map out how to win Iowa suggests a candidate who can handle the complex delegate math that will very quickly come in to play in the event of a NH/IA split decision.

Assuming the winner is not starting out dead broke this time I'd definitely bet on the Iowa winner to have the advantage over whoever wins New Hampshire. South Carolina is even more determinitive but unlikely to be a different candidate then the winner of one of the first two contests.

Worth pointing out that both of the last two presidents, Bush and Obama, followed an Iowa win up with a New Hampshire loss.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Montasque posted:

So after Jeb labeled him the "Chaos Candidate" Trump's Super Pac, /pol/, responded with some dank memes.

Also David Limbough, Rush's brother, retweeted this one:

I think it's safe to say Jeb lost this meme war.

I'm delighted!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Nurgle for pres 2016 - make America fart again.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Thump! posted:

We're still very much bombing Daesh yo.

Obama isn't bombing ISIL enough, and now Obama has us bombing ISIL even less.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

mike12345 posted:

Nurgle for pres 2016 - make America fart again.

Trump is clearly a devotee of Slaanesh, what with using noise marines and all.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Cruz just announced the endorsement of Dr. James Dobson, further consolidating his hold on the evangelical community.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
That's a big one. Santorum got that in 2012. Dang...

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Joementum posted:

Cruz just announced the endorsement of Dr. James Dobson, further consolidating his hold on the evangelical community.

Tony Perkins and 50 other conservative leaders will be endorsing Cruz soon.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Patter Song posted:

Worth pointing out that both of the last two presidents, Bush and Obama, followed an Iowa win up with a New Hampshire loss.

On the GOP side usually Iowa will favor social conservatives and NH the more business or libertarian crowd. So assuming Trump has NH on lockdown, Iowa does gain importance just to stay alive in your campaign. So to remain competitive with Trump...you need to run to the right of him socially.

poo poo it really is looking like Ted Cruz or bust.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

So they control bicycle and foot traffic?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Golden Bee posted:

I mean he's buying a newspaper in TYOOL 2015, he can't be a genius

He owns the second largest newspaper in Israel which is distributed for free and is nothing more than a Likud propaganda service. He's may charge for the paper in Nevada but it will perform the same function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

radical meme posted:

So they control bicycle and foot traffic?

You've never seen police directing traffic at the site of an accident or when a stoplight goes out?

• Locked thread