Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dexie posted:

Ghost was pretty good this week and we finally have some PLOT happening for the villains.

Yeah I'm really enjoying Ghost now.

I'm an especially big fan of Specter. He's just so goddamn angry all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Makoto doesn't really have a huge grudge against Takeru or even Takeru's father. He is just very angry about all of this bullshit. Also, Makoto is very obviously hesitating about the whole thing, or else he would have snatched all of Takeru's eyecons the first time he beat his rear end. I mean, he wasn't gonna take all of them because it would interfere with advertising toys, but they at least provided a reason.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
After finishing Drive, I've moved to Kuuga as the next show on my "I enjoyed this but stopped watching for a while half-way through" list, and... good job, Godai.

Not enough Ichijo recently, btw.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Honestly I'd argue that Ichijou is slightly more of the protagonist than Godai if I had to only pick one for the protagonist slot.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
It's one of my favorite things about the show that the police never give up trying to figure this poo poo out the entire time.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Reds posted:

Honestly I'd argue that Ichijou is slightly more of the protagonist than Godai if I had to only pick one for the protagonist slot.

Yeah, Ichijou was vital in a lot of ways and it's pretty clear that early on G3/Hikawa was modeled after him. At least before Hikawa slipped more comfortably into a comic relief role.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Flashman 02

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah, Ichijou was vital in a lot of ways and it's pretty clear that early on G3/Hikawa was modeled after him. At least before Hikawa slipped more comfortably into a comic relief role.

Hikawa and G3 were my favourite part of Agito.

A friend I was showing Agito to pointed out that if Hikawa was a girl he'd be incredibly moe and I can't say that he's wrong with Hikawa's clumsiness gag.

I still really like Houjou's character. He was a very well written petty rear end in a top hat who did have some good points in the last third of the show.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Reds posted:

Hikawa and G3 were my favourite part of Agito.

A friend I was showing Agito to pointed out that if Hikawa was a girl he'd be incredibly moe and I can't say that he's wrong with Hikawa's clumsiness gag.

I still really like Houjou's character. He was a very well written petty rear end in a top hat who did have some good points in the last third of the show.

If Ichijou is the human core of Kuuga, Hojo is the guy at the heart of Agito. He was a great antagonist without being outright evil and even at his worst he was always entertaining.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

T.G. Xarbala posted:

My favorite Hikawa moment was when he showed up to the final battle, went "Oh, so you're the one behind all those murders!" and then shot the poo poo out of him with the gatling gun.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

It was great how Hikawa, in G3-X, which merely matches the power of Agito and Gills's base forms, had the best showing despite Gills and Agito bringing their strongest forms to the fight.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Last episode had the ghost of Guan Yu (all he's missing is his horse). Also Javert.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It feels weird as gently caress to watch this week's episode of Ghost and see one of the temple mooks wearing a North Carolina State Wolfpack jacket. :stare:

This week's episode is good though. Ghost is good and getting better and better with each episode.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Dexie posted:

It feels weird as gently caress to watch this week's episode of Ghost and see one of the temple mooks wearing a North Carolina State Wolfpack jacket. :stare:

This week's episode is good though. Ghost is good and getting better and better with each episode.

Ghost is really getting better while Ninninger is starting to fall into a black hole. It's very odd.

seriously. a 5 part test and somehow one of the Rangers doesn't get a turn, standard Takaharu Kills the Bad Guy while everyone else watches, we're like 7 episodes from the end of the series and we still don't know what's up with Kyuuemon, other then something like 'bastard son of Kibaoni' or something that doesn't really seem like it makes much sense given the timeline, and apparently next episode is gonna be Takaharu Kills Bad Guy again.

On the other hand, the fact that when Mangetsu was piloting Shurikenjin he had his sword shoved into Takaharu's slot was hilarious.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Well I guess I'll look forward to the next Ghost. I thought the series would get better upon actually explaining its plot.

But last episode was kind of waaaaaay too soon to pull the "OK I trust you and will now actually tell you the plotACK I DIED" trope. It's kind of hilariously lame.

(I also kind of wish ghost would do more with its spooky ghosts theme, toqger and drive were so wonderfully on point with trains and cars. Nothing feels all that ghostly here. Kind of hope the GHOST DIMENSION will make the ganma feel just a little more like ghosts)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Acne Rain posted:

Well I guess I'll look forward to the next Ghost. I thought the series would get better upon actually explaining its plot.

But last episode was kind of waaaaaay too soon to pull the "OK I trust you and will now actually tell you the plotACK I DIED" trope. It's kind of hilariously lame.

(I also kind of wish ghost would do more with its spooky ghosts theme, toqger and drive were so wonderfully on point with trains and cars. Nothing feels all that ghostly here. Kind of hope the GHOST DIMENSION will make the ganma feel just a little more like ghosts)

It's way better than Bleach.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I think part of it is that ghost lore and mythology is just different in Japan? It's not a 1:1 thing from there to Poltergeist.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

John McClane posted:

I think part of it is that ghost lore and mythology is just different in Japan? It's not a 1:1 thing from there to Poltergeist.

From what little I saw of Ghost, trust me, it's got nothing to do with Japanese supernatural mythology.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

From what little I saw of Ghost, trust me, it's got nothing to do with Japanese supernatural mythology.

I like how hosed Japan got on the "recognizable historical heroes" portion of their own TV show. It's like a who's who of people Americans might recognize from Elementary School, plus Musashi and Nobunaga.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Ghost's Driver's voice and jingles are just awful in every department, I can't believe it. The voice itself isn't very good, it won't shut up and just loops everything over and over even more than belts have in the past, and worst of all the jingles for each Eyecon sound bad and awkward.

Spectre's driver is better, it's quieter and its lines flow better. I hope Necrom's belt is decent at the very least. I can't think of any belt I've disliked this much. I've always ultimately liked them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I like how hosed Japan got on the "recognizable historical heroes" portion of their own TV show. It's like a who's who of people Americans might recognize from Elementary School, plus Musashi and Nobunaga.

Also Benkei. Heroes is also a term I'd use loosely as I don't think Billy the Kid is considered a hero like Robin Hood or Edison.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I wouldn't call most of the Heroic Eyecons 'heroes', honestly.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Changeman 03

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Toei could have gone with ancient definition where it's measure of how famous you are for all I know.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
An accepted English definition of hero: a man who is idealized for possessing superior qualities in any field.

So uh.

Yeah. They're heroes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Luminary would be a better word, but I dunno if there is a direct translation. Even if there was, this is a children's show, so it is to be expected that they present them all as heroes. Sounds better than "murderer" and "fictional character", at least.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
pretty sure Beethoven was a real guy.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I knew Tutankhamun was famous for the discovery of his tomb, but I wasn't really sure if he'd done anything to get the title of "hero" except be really famous.

Turns out his father was kind of lousy at being king and implemented a bunch of unpopular religious reforms while ignoring Egypt's territories and allies, and Egypt was in bad shape after his reign. Tutankhamun restored Egypt's traditional religion and worked to restore Egypt's relationship with other kingdoms. This was probably more the work of his advisors than his own talent (he became king at 9 or 10 years old and died at 19), but he was king so I guess he gets the credit. The country also kind of had some issues after he died, but it wasn't related to anything he'd done so I guess that wouldn't really disqualify him from being a hero.

Still a weird choice.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 17, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Look it's elementary school history, king tut is like the most recognizable pharaoh name

Don't really care about the hero selection, famous dead people as powers is pretty much the only ghost themed thing here.

I'm not saying the show can only be saved using tons of ghost puns but I personally think that it would be at least improved if it made its catchphrases and life advice all kinds of spooky scary ghost puns.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
his final power up should be a spooky scary skeleton

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Dexie posted:

Having now seen the episode, yeah I wonder what the story with that is, it seems way too weird to be a deliberate choice and there can't be that many NC State jackets lying around Japan, I wonder if the actor is just a fan of them for some reason.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Literally The Worst posted:

his final power up should be a spooky scary skeleton

No that's Specter's, clearly. DOKI DOKI DOKURO :v:

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Flashman 03

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Twelve by Pies posted:

Having now seen the episode, yeah I wonder what the story with that is, it seems way too weird to be a deliberate choice and there can't be that many NC State jackets lying around Japan, I wonder if the actor is just a fan of them for some reason.

Guy's been wearing that jacket for a while now actually. You just couldn't entirely make out the words on the back until this episode.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

so if Tokon Boost is some kind of Movie power up does that mean Ghost isn't getting a traditional 'Super' form or 'Final' form?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stallion Cabana posted:

so if Tokon Boost is some kind of Movie power up does that mean Ghost isn't getting a traditional 'Super' form or 'Final' form?

What? No. He's getting Tokon Boost in-series too, which is needed to use other Eyecons like Himiko. And after that, he's outright switching belts for his mid-season powerup, Grateful Soul. And he should get a final form after that, too.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Wait, Grateful isn't his final form?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Blaze Dragon posted:

What? No. He's getting Tokon Boost in-series too, which is needed to use other Eyecons like Himiko. And after that, he's outright switching belts for his mid-season powerup, Grateful Soul. And he should get a final form after that, too.

oh then I totally misread what was going on in the movie previews. It looked like He was getting Tokon Boost from his Dad in the Past during the movie, which would have made it a 'movie' power up the same way like Drive Type Fruits was, where it's not really used in series afterwards

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
It might end up one of those weird, rare cases where the movie is actually canon for the main plotline rather than a sidestory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dexie posted:

Wait, Grateful isn't his final form?

Unlikely. The Eyecon Driver G comes out in March, too early for a final form to appear.

Stallion Cabana posted:

oh then I totally misread what was going on in the movie previews. It looked like He was getting Tokon Boost from his Dad in the Past during the movie, which would have made it a 'movie' power up the same way like Drive Type Fruits was, where it's not really used in series afterwards

You didn't misread. That does happen in the movie, KR wiki says it is known as "Father Soul" then. It might happen differently in-series, I have no idea, but he is getting Toucon Boost considering how there's several forms that depend on it that we know he's obtaining.

• Locked thread