Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My money is on that he's following in SloMo's footsteps and got LASIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My money is on that he's following in SloMo's footsteps and got LASIK.

I'm thinking either his wife is pregnant again, or they split up.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
Spending? Saving? Tomayto, tomahto

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Forgot to put chains on the new car and went off the road?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Man guys I just bought that Dave Grohl avatar

No, no LASIK/abortion/pregnancy/divorce/car wrecks/fire/loans. Black Friday was $55 or so, and we used Kohl's Cash from getting our clothes to buy most of the Christmas presents for the kids.

I haven't been foruming much, and that will probably continue for a little bit. I'll come back when I have some notable progress to share. ("haha we'll never see you again KG" getting that out of the way)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

No, no LASIK/abortion/pregnancy/divorce/car wrecks/fire/loans. Black Friday was $55 or so, and we used Kohl's Cash from getting our clothes to buy most of the Christmas presents for the kids.

I haven't been foruming much, and that will probably continue for a little bit. I'll come back when I have some notable progress to share. ("haha we'll never see you again KG" getting that out of the way)

He didn't say no new PCs :v:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Knyteguy posted:

So you've bought a truck and a horse?

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Regularly seeing a therapist would count as progress, so you could post about that if....

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Devian666 posted:

So you've bought a truck and a horse?

At least it's an Ecoboost, and a horse commute will actually save me money if you think about it.

IllegallySober posted:

He didn't say no new PCs :v:

Nothing notably new at all. I've just been reading with nearly all of my spare time for about a month now. I'm currently on Stormlight Archives (just finished book 1), and my wife started Kingkiller Chronicles which I'll read next. It's pretty cheap entertainment.

Edit:

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Regularly seeing a therapist would count as progress, so you could post about that if....

I haven't started yet. We've actually received our cards now, so I'll go ahead and start looking at providers and see if I can find someone.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 7, 2015

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

Nothing notably new at all. I've just been reading with nearly all of my spare time for about a month now. I'm currently on Stormlight Archives (just finished book 1), and my wife started Kingkiller Chronicles which I'll read next. It's pretty cheap entertainment.

I've actually been doing this too and it's a great way to save money.

However, there's no reason you couldn't have been looking at therapists already before the cards got there so that you would be ready to go when they showed up. Right?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

IllegallySober posted:

However, there's no reason you couldn't have been looking at therapists already before the cards got there so that you would be ready to go when they showed up. Right?

Meh not really, no. I've just been lazy I suppose. I just signed up, so I'm looking through my options currently.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Do you mind giving a recap of how November turned out?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

spwrozek posted:

Do you mind giving a recap of how November turned out?

2 screen caps with all accounts open and the header not rolled up will do.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SiGmA_X posted:

2 screen caps with all accounts open and the header not rolled up will do.

Agreed, I don't need any explanations or anything.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I would suspect the issue is that he hasn't been keeping YNAB up-to-date and thus isn't able to post those screenshots.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

IllegallySober posted:

I would suspect the issue is that he hasn't been keeping YNAB up-to-date and thus isn't able to post those screenshots.

I suspect the issue is that he's completely overspent and probably back to square 1 or worse and so therefore refuses to post anything.

Make sure you save a copy of your OP Knyteguy so it's easier to repost in a year.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Bugamol posted:

I suspect the issue is that he's completely overspent and probably back to square 1 or worse and so therefore refuses to post anything.

Make sure you save a copy of your OP Knyteguy so it's easier to repost in a year.

Let's play Name That BFC Superstar!

quote:

The most important thing to remember, is that all of these things are in the past and I am looking for the best strategy to move forward. I cannot change the past and you can all laugh about it and make fun of me, I deserve the lashings, but it does not change the fact that I still need to assemble a strategy in order to get out of this mess.

Hint: It's not KG. But it's funny how all the failed OP's sound alike....

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

April posted:

Let's play Name That BFC Superstar!

Hint: It's not KG. But it's funny how all the failed OP's sound alike....

That has to be Zaurg or Slow Motion

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

That's zaurg

April
Jul 3, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

That's zaurg

Nope! It was actually Murderknobs:

http://216.86.148.111/showthread.php?threadid=3201890&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post365857180

Like I said, they all sound alike, don't they?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I was SO sure, drat!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Was gonna guess knobs, mostly because he's the most obscure but still infamous BFC superstar.

"Let's not think about the past, only focus on the FUTURE" seems to be a common mantra for people who repeatedly make the same mistakes.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I really hope Knyteguy is OK because he seems so nice and so does his wife, and he's been dropping dark little hints about his drinking problem coming back :(

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

I really hope Knyteguy is OK because he seems so nice and so does his wife, and he's been dropping dark little hints about his drinking problem coming back :(

and the coke

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

His screaming meltdown over my earlier hyperbolic comment regarding his drug use did smack of overt defensiveness. :(

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
He also implied marriage problems a little while back iirc.

:(

I don't want you to be a Zaurg, KG. You seem nice and your baby is so cute. Hope you are doing okay.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Are you doing OK? It would be nice to even know just that. :)

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
He's posting in some gaming threads so he's not dead.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Bugamol posted:

He's posting in some gaming threads so he's not dead.

Here's what I think: the money stuff, and us harping on it was causing him stress, and probably causing arguments with his wife over things. He most likely decided that rather than fixing the underlying problems (his impulsive behavior & substance abuse issues), it would be better to just have a six-pack and some convenient store dinner, let the wife plan a vacation, buy some toys, and call it a day.

But he's totally going to kill it next time guys. Honest.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

:smith: Let's not start leaping to the conclusion he's drunk and broke in a ditch, okay? These are the times I understand why this thread stresses him out so much. I at least want to believe he's happy with his family even if he's buying boats to store his horses.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I agree. Maybe he realized what he really wants and being super debt reductive isn't it. I have no problem with someone deciding that an extra year or two to get out of it and being able to enjoy life.

KG still should work that debt away but realistic goals are better then every month being unsuccessful and us taking at him. He obviously doesn't respond well to the yelling, scolding approach.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Huh yeah everything is fine guys, but thanks for the concern. I've become a little overwhelmed with the attention recently for some reason (negative, positive, and neutral), so I'm taking a break from the thread and stuff for a bit. I'll bring it back up with a few months worth of budgets when I get over that, and what I'm about to describe below.

I'm still maintaining and making our budget, and we're at the worst treading water / slowly stashing money. ~$8500 in the bank currently (I haven't reconciled YNAB in 3 days so I'm estimating based off the current YNAB balance). We're actually at like $120/100 in restaurants this month, because we've been making an earnest effort to eat at home the rest of the month. Around $300 in groceries left still, too.

Therapy stuff: I've really battled back and forth on the issue of "do I need or want this?" since it's been suggested. But I think it'd be good. I'm not going to give a timeline, because there's a lot of stuff going on. However I've decided that I think I can benefit from it.

About me being nice - well you guys are much nicer people. The few of you who have been negative towards me started out being very helpful and supportive. And I've been kind of a flaky dishonest dickhole with the thread and with many of you for awhile, so it really speaks to your character that y'all still want to help. I think that's really cool.

I also acknowledge that I don't think that I can progress further yet. This thread is like a marathon, and until I train my brain to be less dependent on immediate rewards I don't think I'll be able to meet my goals. I used to be a pretty strong dude, but I lost that somewhere along the way. I need to find that spark again. This is a process that I want to finish, and I want to finish it in this thread, but I need some time to find myself again. My avatar text is correct - I do refuse to let myself be held accountable right now.

So yes I'll continue all of this, but not yet. I'm not ready. When I am ready I think I'll have a better idea of what, exactly, I'm trying to accomplish.

P.S.: I've already asked my wife to tell you guys if I drop dead or something. I let her know that this would be a good place to start with help on how to move forward financially, and perhaps a little bit otherwise.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

I also acknowledge that I don't think that I can progress further yet. This thread is like a marathon, and until I train my brain to be less dependent on immediate rewards I don't think I'll be able to meet my goals. I used to be a pretty strong dude, but I lost that somewhere along the way. I need to find that spark again. This is a process that I want to finish, and I want to finish it in this thread, but I need some time to find myself again. My avatar text is correct - I do refuse to let myself be held accountable right now.

I don't disagree, but how do you intend to accomplish this?

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!
Two years of back and forth in this thread with people putting in a lot of effort to help you out just to say you're not ready. That's utterly disappointing.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

This is a lot of words to say "I'm doing nothing". Get therapy sooner rather than later. You seem aimless and a bit lost. Therapy can help with that. Quit putting it off along with everything else that has been recommended.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
It seems like your participation in this thread has been all or nothing. Huge effort posts and lots of promises, then going dark. Consider posting a weekly update and answer a few questions. Don't let the thing suck up all your time, but use it as a tool. Also, get therapy.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

OneWhoKnows posted:

Two years of back and forth in this thread with people putting in a lot of effort to help you out just to say you're not ready. That's utterly disappointing.

At least it's honest self-reflection. Also it's mindful and nonjudgmental, which is good forward progress for KG.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Knyteguy posted:

While we're on the topic of honest self reflection, I would ask yourself if this is really true. When you "used to be really strong," was it like how you used to be really involved in this thread (as n8r points out, your all or nothing)? I would ask yourself if in the past your "strength" was another period of big plans and big dreams that over the course of weeks/months/years either amounted to nothing or something well below what you were aiming for. There is all the difference between the conception and the follow through, as this thread has repeatedly demonstrated.

I only mention this because if you are going to chase the all-spark, it will ultimately be a very futile endeavour if it turns out you didn't really ever have it in the first place.

I haven't bothered to post in a long while (probably not since the neuter challenge) - others have said most of what I've thought over the last 6 months or so. I stand by my offer to seriously and genuinely offer all advice I can when you demonstrate that you can stick to a budget reliably for < 3 months.

Good luck.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

P.S.: I've already asked my wife to tell you guys if I drop dead or something. I let her know that this would be a good place to start with help on how to move forward financially, and perhaps a little bit otherwise.

"honey, if I ever die, throw my body in the ditch, do whatever, just please make sure you let the random people on the Internet forums know I died."

I know that's not what you meant, but I still find the idea funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I marathoned this thread over the past week or two as reading material, and, well, it's kinda nuts and sad at the same time. Just a bunch of random thoughts as I get to them:

Two years later and KG is making the same mistakes he's made earlier, because the big impulse purchases keep happening, he keeps disappearing to do them, and he keeps blowing his budget. And he's still working at the same job for his boss without a raise. I mean, I'm sure a lot of us have had a sort of stagnating or unchanging life in the past two years, but given the support of a whole 146 pages of thread, it would've been nice to see some actual breakthroughs or something. Personally if I had a whole thread of people yelling at me, I would've probably just run off by now, but given that KG has stuck around, I'm surprised all that shaming & arguing hasn't acted as more of a catalyst for change.

I guess there are a lot of things going on here. KG seems to think that thinking about something is the same as actually planning for it, which isn't the case. For him, a budget isn't a constraining tool but merely something to move numbers around in. I can see why this thread has appeared so hostile, because all of KG's actions don't really match his stated goals. Instant (or short-term) gratification and giving into impulsive purchases seems more important to him than, say, getting out of debt, or providing a more stable life for his child. Which is kind of sad, but if KG doesn't really desire to work towards his goals, then I agree he should just close the thread.

I also think the smoking & drinking (on top of the impulsiveness, and the one-time drugs) are problematic, both from a financial and health perspective. My dad smoked his entire life despite me begging him constantly to quit and the only thing that made him stop was having a heart attack when I was like, 18 or so. Obviously KG has demonstrated that he can quit temporarily, so it's not that bad, but it's really something not to be doing in this day and age (especially with a young child around). KG has acknowledged all these issues and he seems to at least care about his family, so he has that going for him. :)

I'll say this - BFC has given plenty of advice on how to budget and how to use budgets, so I don't believe that KG doesn't understand the concept, just that he refuses to. (ie. the idea that you can't have everything whenever you want it, so yes, some "sacrifices" will have to be made.) At this point, BFC has done everything in its power to help KG out, so if KG refuses to change, there's nothing left to do. I know a long time ago KG made a post about how he couldn't help out his depressed/suicidal mom because despite trying to do a lot of things for her, she refused to be helped. It's only seemed to have turned around somewhat recently due to medication & getting therapy, if I'm not mistaken. At the end of the day, we can't really force KG not to get that energy drink or convince him that curtailing spending a bit now so that his future self has a better life is a good idea.

Good luck KG.

• Locked thread