Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Gold timber wolves are sold out.

Please don't make me post incredibly shameful yet inexplicably successful ($1000+ a month) Patreons. If nothing else, crowdfunding has really highlighted that nerds are so bad with numbers and money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Star Citizen says hi!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Wales Grey posted:

Please don't make me post incredibly shameful yet inexplicably successful ($1000+ a month) Patreons. If nothing else, crowdfunding has really highlighted that nerds are so bad with numbers and money.

You can't compare 200 people giving $5 to someone making something they like to individual people spending $500 on a vehicle skin in MWO, though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PGI have just dug themselves a hole with monetisation though because if they adopt a price plan more like War Thunder (what I'd call the gold standard right now) then the backlash from the whales will be immense.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

PGI have just dug themselves a hole with monetisation though because if they adopt a price plan more like War Thunder (what I'd call the gold standard right now) then the backlash from the whales will be immense.

War Thunder is far from a gold standard. If anything, Gaijin has consistently been raising their prices and upping their grind. PGI just copied World of Tank's retail model and morons bought into it.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Nickiepoo posted:

As we've spoken about in the past, PGI are bad at business.

They really should do what HiRez did with Smite and allow a one time purchase for all current and future mechs.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Alchenar posted:

PGI has never given a poo poo about people once they have their money though. See: the founders.

Not that they'd do it, because it's 1) a good business decision and 2) something that would be nice for the player base (that is dumb enough to give PGI money)

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Bait and Swatch posted:

They really should do what HiRez did with Smite and allow a one time purchase for all current and future mechs.

Since a single gold mech was 500, I cannot fathom how much this would be :psyduck:

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Skoll posted:

War Thunder is far from a gold standard. If anything, Gaijin has consistently been raising their prices and upping their grind. PGI just copied World of Tank's retail model and morons bought into it.

Agreed. I haven't played WT in a while but the grind and pricing is far from fun or fair; it's just not nearly as bad as PGI. THe biggest difference between the two games is that (at least in GF) the grind has more "flavor" based on every faction having a tier where winning a match is a God-given miracle.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Stupid as they are, gold mechs also include the masakari pack (I. E. 3 of each first wave clan mech including one prime variant with a cbill bonus, as well as some premium time and other doodads). You're only really paying 260ish for your gold skin, so it's a MOTHER loving BARGAIN

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Stupid as they are, gold mechs also include the masakari pack (I. E. 3 of each first wave clan mech including one prime variant with a cbill bonus, as well as some premium time and other doodads). You're only really paying 260ish for your gold skin, so it's a MOTHER loving BARGAIN

Remind me again: how long did players have to lobby before PGI caved and made this concession? As I'm sure you recall, the original $500 pack was just for the gold mech.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Well when you put it like that, sign me up :shepspends:...

...no, not really. Doan spend money on this.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

WebDO posted:

Remind me again: how long did players have to lobby before PGI caved and made this concession? As I'm sure you recall, the original $500 pack was just for the gold mech.

And it was originally a scaling system - if you wanted the TImber Wolf, you had to buy the pack that included everything below it. It was only after over 500 pages of player rage in a single thread that they initiated the a la carte system (which was/is still hilariously overpriced).

It's pretty clear that their system is design art->offer prorder->use preorder funds to build mech->sell mech->rinse/repeat.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

WebDO posted:

Please don't mistake my post for any sort of endorsement of PGI's pricing. It's stupid and bad but people keep loving paying it. I can't really fault them for charging $Texas when people are tripping over themselves to hurl money into their pockets.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Fil5000 posted:

Please don't mistake my post for any sort of endorsement of PGI's pricing. It's stupid and bad but people keep loving paying it. I can't really fault them for charging $Texas when people are tripping over themselves to hurl money into their pockets.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

"And we're giving everyone who did buy at the old price point heroic champion versions of those `Mechs, with both a 30% c-bill increase and a 30% experience increase, 90 days of premium time, and some MC"

Edit: And a "The Bounty Hunter" skin for their `Mechs, a unique green skin colored in shiny golden dollar signs.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Vorenus posted:

And it was originally a scaling system - if you wanted the TImber Wolf, you had to buy the pack that included everything below it. It was only after over 500 pages of player rage in a single thread that they initiated the a la carte system (which was/is still hilariously overpriced).

It's pretty clear that their system is design art->offer prorder->use preorder funds to build mech->sell mech->rinse/repeat.

I don't mind the system they're doing now. At least for the preorder you get 6.5m cb, a month of premium, 3 mechs, a couple of modules, and some cosmetic doodads. Not terrible for 20 bucks. Way better than the old system where 20 would get you 3 locusts and you had to spend 80 to get the battlemasters.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Man I can't wait for PGI to fix the Catapult size :3:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
good times in goonstacks

VVVVVV ah drat you caught me before i could ninja in a better one

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

That is a weird looking centaur you drew there.

So to avoid douplepost: I think people have been dropping with me and know but I'm running around in a streakcrow right now, and I seem to be.. bad? I don't seem to churn out damage like people say it should? It seems to take forever to get locked on, relative to the time someone is in my reticule, and I don't get many salvos off. Should I be going for different targets? I feel like I'm missing something (apart from just being generally bad and still learning the maps).

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 17, 2015

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201512mechs

p. easy event this weekend

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SoftNum posted:

That is a weird looking centaur you drew there.

So to avoid douplepost: I think people have been dropping with me and know but I'm running around in a streakcrow right now, and I seem to be.. bad? I don't seem to churn out damage like people say it should? It seems to take forever to get locked on, relative to the time someone is in my reticule, and I don't get many salvos off. Should I be going for different targets? I feel like I'm missing something (apart from just being generally bad and still learning the maps).

The Streakcrow will need a clan active probe for sure. But yes, the lockon time is pretty long, and you need to stare at your opponent to achieve the lock.

I think the playstyle needs to focus on light hunting at the start, then 'bombing passes' on the brawl later on. You don't want to be part of the brawl at the beginning, you want to be killing lights or pushing them out into the open where they are targets for direct fire. Only after they are damaged survivors should you engage any larger mechs.

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014
Ultra Autocannon 35 Direwolf is fun as gently caress.

Shot many robots, sniped metal babby midflight, ran out of ammo and won by ramming Catapult to death at the breakneck speed of 50 kph. :rice:
A++, would DireTroll again!

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I gotta quit trying CW, its too drat tedious to be any fun or just a drat stomp.

Easy event but poor rewards, can't even buy a mechbay with that MC.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Drakes posted:

Easy event but poor rewards, can't even buy a mechbay with that MC.

The other difference between WT and WoT/PGI - WT gives out premiums all the time. And not just intro-level or anything.

And this is on top of the mechanic where you can get premium currency in game for winning squadron battles or golden battle wagers.

PGI never got the memo that part of the way to hook people to F2P/IAP games is to give a small trickle of premium currency for playing the game even outside of special events. Oh well.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
How many mechbays do you get for free, actually?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

How many mechbays do you get for free, actually?

four :(

if you do a loop through the CW factions you can get nine more, 18 if you stick around until rank six in each

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks.

That's pretty low, but at 11mil a mech I guess it'll be a while until I own four. :v:

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
I'm having way too much fun with this AWS-8Q. With quirks+mods the PPCs have 700m range and you can shoot them for a long time thanks to -25% heat quirks. It's fun to just park somewhere with a good view and start unloading at anything you see. The only mechs I don't do staring contests with are U/AC5 King Crabs, those things are ridiculous death machines. Which means I want one.

Helps that so far not many lights have figured out that hugging the barndoor stops it from vaporizing them. So many lights just to zooming from cover to cover taking potshots, letting me slap them silly with my PPCs. Oh and those ECM Ravens who keep staring at me as I turn around and line my shots on their cockpit.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Zernach posted:

I'm having way too much fun with this AWS-8Q. With quirks+mods the PPCs have 700m range and you can shoot them for a long time thanks to -25% heat quirks. It's fun to just park somewhere with a good view and start unloading at anything you see. The only mechs I don't do staring contests with are U/AC5 King Crabs, those things are ridiculous death machines. Which means I want one.

Helps that so far not many lights have figured out that hugging the barndoor stops it from vaporizing them. So many lights just to zooming from cover to cover taking potshots, letting me slap them silly with my PPCs. Oh and those ECM Ravens who keep staring at me as I turn around and line my shots on their cockpit.

manthis sounds fun. it's like a whole 'nother game

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I have updated the saga.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
Ugh, $20 for 6.5mil cbills + 3 robuts 2 XL280 engines + 3 mech bays + a few decent modules + 30 days premium time.

MWO whales, at least we're not as dumb as Star Citizen whales?

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
So aside from being a retained founder :suicide: how viable is my laser Cent now? I miss stompy bots and Heavy Gear isn't quite there yet.

edit: reply not quote. I suck at phone posting

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nebiros posted:

So aside from being a retained founder :suicide: how viable is my laser Cent now? I miss stompy bots and Heavy Gear isn't quite there yet.

edit: reply not quote. I suck at phone posting

This one?

You are going to lose the laser arm really quickly, though its energy quirks aren't bad. Really up to your playstyle vs other IS mediums. For IS laser mediums, the blackjack is the current meta king.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zernach posted:

I've been running the missile one with 4x A-SRM6 + 2x LL. It runs too hot so I might look into medium lasers instead, but it works pretty well for a box on legs.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Does ghost heat still exist? Also what happened to all SRM-6 or AC20 catapults? It's been too many ages since I played, someone fill me in thanks.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Aesculus posted:

Does ghost heat still exist? Also what happened to all SRM-6 or AC20 catapults? It's been too many ages since I played, someone fill me in thanks.

1. yes but it's not quite as bad. still dumb but not bad.

2. Splatcat is more viable now with SRM changes. still way oversized. Boomjager better than Boomcat

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
CW tonnage increases:

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/677611865594138625?s=09

250 for Clans, 265 for IS

so now you can bring four Timber Wolves less than four Timber Wolves GG EZ

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 18, 2015

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Aesculus posted:

Been running a stalker with 6 LLs and ghost heat doesn't really bother me, set all left lasers to 1, all right lasers to 2. Don't fire the second set until .5 seconds after the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Pattonesque posted:

CW tonnage increases:

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/677611865594138625?s=09

250 for Clans, 265 for IS

so now you can bring four Timber Wolves GG EZ

I'm no math pro or anything but isn't 4 Madcats 300 tons?

• Locked thread