Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

I've griped about people in my local playgroup before but probably never will again, now that I know some poor saps out there have to deal with a guy that plays STAX in EDH and packs a loving gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

DID YOU PAY 1 MORE FOR THAT SPELL?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I hope I never play magic with people with guns on them.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Zoness posted:

That would make me very uncomfortable.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zoness posted:

No Portal Second Age, friend?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

Snapcaster Mage's a pretty good card. Don't think it's too good as to be ban-worthy though.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Rhystic Study is the worst tbh

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

hoobajoo posted:

That would make me very uncomfortable.

And walking down the street carrying thousands in MTG cards doesn't? I'm not the only one that has a CCW and exercises their right to carry. Even at my LGS there are a few guys that do...the store owner is a Cleveland Cop and encourages us to carry and feel safe.

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

If someone with a CCW/gun is acting in this way they don't deserve to have their license/gun. In the hundreds of times I've carried my gun hasn't left the holster more than once, and that one time was because someone asked to see the holster and I didn't want to give it to them with the gun in it.

Zoness posted:

Honestly, you probably have an didn't even notice. At my LGS I am willing to bet that the only people that know I carry is the store owner.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

OssiansFolly posted:

Honestly, you probably have an didn't even notice. At my LGS I am willing to bet that the only people that know I carry is the store owner.

The first sentence is actually kind of hosed up. It shouldn't be secret information if someone in a playgroup has a deadly weapon on them.

The second sentence contradicts your earlier statement about someone loving with you for playing a high level STAX deck.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

The first sentence is actually kind of hosed up. It shouldn't be secret information if someone in a playgroup has a deadly weapon on them.

The second sentence contradicts your earlier statement about someone loving with you for playing a high level STAX deck.

I think you guys are overreacting. Carrying a gun to play EDH is just like having a Door to Nothingness and 10 untapped mana on the table. It lets the other players know that if you gently caress with me, I'll blow you away.

E: Going to get my EDH gun engraved with "Door to Nothingness" on the barrel.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

So you would be okay with someone openly carrying a firearm though? It isn't hosed up to want to defend yourself and not broadcast to the entire world that you have a gun on you.

It doesn't contradict anything...my average playgroup doesn't play at any store. We play at someone's home. Going back to my above statement that when I go to my LGS the only person to really know that I may have a gun is the store owner. The guys in my average playgroup are also registered CCW permit holders, so of the 8 of us over half of us can and do carry a gun.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

When did this thread turn into D&D General Chat?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

OssiansFolly posted:

So you would be okay with someone openly carrying a firearm though? It isn't hosed up to want to defend yourself and not broadcast to the entire world that you have a gun on you.

Yes. What good is a deterrent when no one knows you have it?

And you're talking about the need to carry a gun on you because you think there is a chance someone will assault you for your cardboard. That is, indeed, hosed up.

But, I will end this here. This isn't TFR/D&D.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

OssiansFolly posted:

I'd love to have $800 to spend on one card, but sadly I don't think that is in the cards. I kind of have to work with what I have.

workshop is workshop, but if you just load up on slightly more budget options, it can be effective. I've had a game start ancient tomb -> mana vault -> lodestone golem.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Yes. What good is a deterrent when no one knows you have it?

And you're talking about the need to carry a gun on you because you think there is a chance someone will assault you for your cardboard. That is, indeed, hosed up.

But, I will end this here. This isn't TFR/D&D.

I've been robbed at gunpoint for my paycheck in cash, my shoes and cell phone, and $8 and the cards in my wallet that got cancelled in 15 minutes. Being robbed is being robbed...they take whatever it is you have on you.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

workshop is workshop, but if you just load up on slightly more budget options, it can be effective. I've had a game start ancient tomb -> mana vault -> lodestone golem.

I've been looking at my lands wondering if there is anything I was missing and I completely forgot about Ancient Tomb.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There's this thing called pepper spray that is just as effective a deterrent and also doesn't require you literally murdering somebody you sick fucko.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

There's this thing called pepper spray that is just as effective a deterrent and also doesn't require you literally murdering somebody you sick fucko.

We get it, you have a fear of guns. They are scary machines that go around killing people at random. And no pepper spray is NOT 'as effective a deterrent'.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
EDH thread: My gun argument is better than your gun argument

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

If your MtG collection is valuable enough you are willing to kill to protect it, you could take an insurance policy out on it instead.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

OssiansFolly posted:

We get it, you have a fear of guns. They are scary machines that go around killing people at random. And no pepper spray is NOT 'as effective a deterrent'.

The likelihood of needing a gun to defend yourself is far lower than the likelihood of a paranoid gun owner shooting someone because they're a psychopath.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

If your MtG collection is valuable enough you are willing to kill to protect it, you could take an insurance policy out on it instead.

As an insurance agent, I assure you that doing so is not as easy as you think. It is an item that is played with, needs graded, and is constantly fluctuating in price. Most standard markets don't want to cover something like that. Non-standard markets will do a blanket policy, but won't cover mysterious disappearance, theft, burglary, or wear and tear. You'd have coverage against the elements.

The Shortest Path posted:

The likelihood of needing a gun to defend yourself is far lower than the likelihood of a paranoid gun owner shooting someone because they're a psychopath.

so, you're saying I should also have a gun to protect myself against psychopaths with guns? Cool, turns out that is also a reason I have my CCW. I am sure the likelihood of getting robbed at gun point is fairly low, but having been robbed at gunpoint 3 times before I turned 30 has made me skeptical. I don't like being a helpless victim.

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 17, 2015

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

No. You, the gun owner who carries his gun into a game store, are more likely to shoot someone either accidentally or intentionally than you are to end up in a situation where having a gun will help you in any way whatsoever.

Please do not subject other magic players to your delusional paranoia, the community does not need accidental shooting deaths in game stores.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 17, 2015

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

As an insurance agent, I assure you that doing so is not as easy as you think. It is an item that is played with, needs graded, and is constantly fluctuating in price. Most standard markets don't want to cover something like that. Non-standard markets will do a blanket policy, but won't cover mysterious disappearance, theft, burglary, or wear and tear. You'd have coverage against the elements.

OK. Even then, I think I'd rather lose a couple thousand dollars than take a human life. But I don't play cards on Fury Road, so I've never really thought about it.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
The new Omnath sucks. They should unban Emrakul in EDH. Also Protean hulk, Biorhythm, Balance, and Worldfire. Blue is a terrible color and no one should be allowed counterspells in EDH. The reserved list is an amazing thing.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Holy hell, you all suck at playing nicely with others.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

OssiansFolly posted:

As an insurance agent, I assure you that doing so is not as easy as you think. It is an item that is played with, needs graded, and is constantly fluctuating in price. Most standard markets don't want to cover something like that. Non-standard markets will do a blanket policy, but won't cover mysterious disappearance, theft, burglary, or wear and tear.
My standard renters insurance policy has covered theft of magical cards as part of a larger theft claim at basically no hassle beyond paying the deductible, reporting the theft to the police, and providing an inventory of stolen items. If you're looking for coverage on graded or rare/unique items, then yeah your all miscuts legacy deck is probably uninsurable, but as long as you're with a reputable company you shouldn't really have an issue filing a claim on your $1000 standard deck.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 17, 2015

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Ayyyyy gun chat is great and all but...

I'm getting into EDH with a few friends who are probably going to be taking it a bit more seriously than I am. I've made a Lorthos, the Tidemaker octopus themed EDH deck that will pretty much be mono-U control except with a shitload of angry sea monsters and mind control effects. I've never played EDH before, is there anything in here I'm obviously missing? I'm at 99 cards right now. One of the people I'm playing with has specifically requested nobody use Sol Ring which was the 100th. I'm very close to telling him to eat poo poo since I'm using Lorthos and he's using Derevi, but that's neither here nor there right now--are there any other glaring holes in my deck? Does this have any chance at hanging against a Derevi or Kaalia or other degenerate commanders? I'm less concerned with ramping and more concerned with having enough bounce and counterspells to just make it a pain in the rear end to target me, but any ramp I could slot in would be obviously immensely helpful. I would like more options for graveyard recursion as well.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-12-15-lorthos-edh/

edit: actually at 97 cards now after seeing the prices on Snapcaster Mage and Sower of Temptation. Budget is obviously a concern, don't think I mentioned that in my post.I wouldn't mind dropping like 15 bucks on, say, a planeswalker, but $15 for something like Sower just doesnt' seem worth.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 17, 2015

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Ramos posted:

Holy hell, you all suck at playing nicely with others.

This.

I was at a competitive EDH tournament a weekend or two ago. I wasn't doing much in pod 2, but one of the dudes was getting super salty his Mizzix was the target of all the removal. Sorry you revealed your plan to take infinite turns in round 1? :jerkbag:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sharzak posted:

I'm getting into EDH with a few friends who are probably going to be taking it a bit more seriously than I am. I've made a Lorthos, the Tidemaker octopus themed EDH deck that will pretty much be mono-U control except with a shitload of angry sea monsters and mind control effects. I've never played EDH before, is there anything in here I'm obviously missing? I'm at 99 cards right now. One of the people I'm playing with has specifically requested nobody use Sol Ring which was the 100th. I'm very close to telling him to eat poo poo since I'm using Lorthos and he's using Derevi, but that's neither here nor there right now--are there any other glaring holes in my deck? Does this have any chance at hanging against a Derevi or Kaalia or other degenerate commanders? I'm less concerned with ramping and more concerned with having enough bounce and counterspells to just make it a pain in the rear end to target me, but any ramp I could slot in would be obviously immensely helpful. I would like more options for graveyard recursion as well.

Capsize! :v:

And if you're willing to go the extra distance, try to get more ramp in there like Gilded Lotus, Gauntlet of Power, and Extraplanar Lens with Snow Islands.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Static Equilibrium posted:

My standard renters insurance policy has covered theft of magical cards as part of a larger theft claim at basically no hassle beyond paying the deductible, reporting the theft to the police, and providing an inventory of stolen items. If your looking for coverage on graded or rare/unique items, then yeah your all miscuts legacy deck is probably uninsurable, but as long as you're with a reputable company you shouldn't really have an issue filing a claim on your $1000 standard deck.

Yea, they will cover things minus the deductible, but not likely for the full value as they have no way to grade them prior to the loss. Not to mention there is generally a limit to how much they will cover for things outside the home that are stolen from your vehicle or something like that (different from company to company but an example would be 10% of the Personal Property coverage on the policy, so if you have your luggage stolen on vacation you have some coverage). If I have a $1,000 deck stolen then I am SOL since my deductible is $1,000. Scheduled items/collections generally carry a $0 deductible, and that is where the problem lies with an item that is used, graded and constantly fluctuating in pricing.

Sharzak posted:

edit: actually at 97 cards now after seeing the prices on Snapcaster Mage and Sower of Temptation. Budget is obviously a concern, don't think I mentioned that in my post.

Be careful with Dissipation Field? It sounds like a good idea, but there are a lot of decks that thrive on Enter the Battlefield/Cast effects. I personally don't like the card for that reason, but your mileage may vary since you know your playgroup.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
A derevi player has no room to tell you no sol ring IMO, but probably the best thing to do is just give it a try without it but let them know you're probably going to add it later.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
So, if someone tries to steal your Wizard Poker Cardboard Rectangles, are you going to shoot them to death?

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

hoobajoo posted:

OK. Even then, I think I'd rather lose a couple thousand dollars than take a human life. But I don't play cards on Fury Road, so I've never really thought about it.

I'm pretty sure the mindset that plays a Stax deck for fun has no concern whatsoever for other people.

OssiansFolly posted:

My playgroup knows better than to 'nutpunch' the guy with a gun, but I can see them rage quitting and I am ok with that being a win condition.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If someone punches you because they are mad about your Wizard Poker Cardboard Rectangle, are you going to shoot them to death?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Sharzak posted:

edit: actually at 97 cards now after seeing the prices on Snapcaster Mage and Sower of Temptation. Budget is obviously a concern, don't think I mentioned that in my post.

Clever Impersonator would be great.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I also would argue against dream halls, since that lets everyone with difficult commanders cast them for free.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Deckit posted:

Clever Impersonator would be great.

Maybe Gigantoplasm for a creature and Thought Reflection for a few more cards? Both should be fairly inexpensive at this time and fit the 'theme'.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Sharzak posted:

edit: actually at 97 cards now after seeing the prices on Snapcaster Mage and Sower of Temptation. Budget is obviously a concern, don't think I mentioned that in my post.I wouldn't mind dropping like 15 bucks on, say, a planeswalker, but $15 for something like Sower just doesnt' seem worth.

Capsize seems like it should have a place somewhere here.

Also I'm not a fan of all the conditional counters that require you to make your opponents spend bonus mana. Seems like you'll not often have enough up with casting all the expensive dudes. You may want to look into a Browning Buckmark .22. It's fairly small, reliable, allows mounting optics on the top and is great for protecting your valuable life points from criminals and thugs who may want to steal them from you, or for keeping your family and creatures safe from harm.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

alansmithee posted:

Capsize seems like it should have a place somewhere here.

Also I'm not a fan of all the conditional counters that require you to make your opponents spend bonus mana.

Capsize really shines when he has a way to make infinite mana. Aetherspouts may be nice to have though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Sharzak posted:

Phyrexian Metamorphosis is the best clone in the game, and Gauntlet of Power and Extraplanar Lens are Caged Sun 2 and 3, those seem good. I'd take out the conditional counters and counters requiring you to spend X, they're just not reliable enough, and counterspells are already kinda bad in EDH. Arcane Denial is a very good counter, on the other hand.