Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Zephyrine posted:

I am now convinced that the Railroad is trying to kill me. They sent me to clear out Quincy of hostiles :v:

Thankfully a vertibird and two brotherhood paladins (one of them legendary) came to my aid and we managed to clear it out.

With a good sneak/sniper build you can clear out most of Quincy without them ever seeing you coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Stumbling randomly into Quincy and clearing it out in a prolonged Tombstone-rear end urban battle with nobody but a random gun saleswoman on my side was my number one fave sequence in the whole game so far.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

woodenchicken posted:

Stumbling randomly into Quincy and clearing it out in a prolonged Tombstone-rear end urban battle with nobody but a random gun saleswoman on my side was my number one fave sequence in the whole game so far.

Mine was doing something for the BOS at the National Guard Armory and the nearby Satellite Array. Two legendaries in the armory, three super mutant legendaries far above my level at the array. With missile launchers. A vertibird came in trying to assist but got shot by a missile and slammed into the satellite, just barely missing crashing on me. They blew up poor Curie and tore my power armor to shreds. I tried firing off flares and artillery grenades but nothing was in range. Thanks to sweet, delicious psycho jet I just barely eked out a win, sprinting up one satellite, shotgunning the legendary butcher in the face, then power jumping to the ground and running to the next.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 17, 2015

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I'm beginning to think that going sneak/sniper has cost me some really fun gameplay. The satellite array was another place that I pretty much cleared from distance, just circle strafing, sneaking and one-shotting everyone in the head.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I sneak too, but then I get discovered and rushed, from then on it's Psychojet time. Or trying to evade can be fun too, without just running for the hoizon.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Stealth is so broken in this game it's pretty much impossible to get detected when you're really high level, you can stand right in front of an enemy and you still have all the time in the world to line up a headshot while the meter is still on 'caution'.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Stealth is so broken in this game it's pretty much impossible to get detected when you're really high level, you can stand right in front of an enemy and you still have all the time in the world to line up a headshot while the meter is still on 'caution'.

True, but when they do become alerted, they will shoot and run towards your general direction. Which is why I circle strafe and move from cover to cover. It can be fun and challenging at times, but only when you're not being careful. Otherwise, you're right, you can pretty much sneak forever and never be actually detected. I cleared out Gunner Plaza at level 80 and it was embarrassingly easy. And that was without using VATS at all. Throwing VATS into the mix virtually guarantees you being the last thing they will never see.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I have maxed-out Stealth, AGI of 8 and an armor piece that makes me transparent when I'm sitting, and yet I'm detected, like, constantly. My armor may be a bit heavy though, I dunno.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Does anyone else find the recon scope very unhelpful? I swear I miss more with it than with a reflex sight.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

woodenchicken posted:

I have maxed-out Stealth, AGI of 8 and an armor piece that makes me transparent when I'm sitting, and yet I'm detected, like, constantly. My armor may be a bit heavy though, I dunno.

You will still get detected in daylight or well-lit areas. Sniping and sneaking is most effective at night.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

double nine posted:

Does anyone else find the recon scope very unhelpful? I swear I miss more with it than with a reflex sight.

Outside of sniper rifles I find scopes zoom in way too far, even the short range ones, and take too long to actually bring up to be of much help.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

double nine posted:

I prefer the night vision scope, though I wish I could turn night vision on and off. Bit weird to have it permanently on.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just a couple Bobbleheads to go and that's all achievements. :dance:

Took me less time to Platinum than Bloodborne, weirdly.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

RBA Starblade posted:

Outside of sniper rifles I find scopes zoom in way too far, even the short range ones, and take too long to actually bring up to be of much help.

It also took me a while to realize that I actually only want a reflex sight on things like pistols, so I can get about 16 shots off with my 10mm with a single AP bar, as opposed to maybe five when I have a scope on there.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I use the reflex sight, even on sniping rifles. And if someone gets in my grill, I can just stick the barrel in their gut and waste em.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Friar Zucchini posted:

I just realized, the Memory Den could be a super convenient way to give us some Great War or some other kind of pre-nuke DLC.

I want a pre-war ghoul who's slowly going feral to come in to the Memory Den. Since the main character is also pre-war, he/she gets called in for the memory link to guide his thoughts. He was a TV producer back in the day, and you have to go through his pre-war memories (and their present-day analog locations, to appreciate the destruction) to solve some mystery. The quest line leads to a working TV station and some old shows that run on powered TVs and reflect a few of the choices you made while you were guiding his memories.

Obviously this also unlocks more pre-war furnishings.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

homullus posted:

I want a pre-war ghoul who's slowly going feral to come in to the Memory Den. Since the main character is also pre-war, he/she gets called in for the memory link to guide his thoughts. He was a TV producer back in the day, and you have to go through his pre-war memories (and their present-day analog locations, to appreciate the destruction) to solve some mystery. The quest line leads to a working TV station and some old shows that run on powered TVs and reflect a few of the choices you made while you were guiding his memories.

Yeah right. At best we're going to get Operation Anchorage 2. Except I don't know how they are going to find a way to give you the weapons from the DLC. I'd assume at some point someone will mention that they got the new shipment of weapons from Weapons Storage Facility Charlie that's somewhere in the commonwealth. Then that will be added to your map and you go get them.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

homullus posted:

Throwing a bunch of actual 1950s nuclear propaganda videos on some environmental tvs would be a good thing for this game to do now they have sorta run down on actual 1950s music.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
I would like to see an expansion with more settlement poo poo to do

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Zephyrine posted:

I am now convinced that the Railroad is trying to kill me. They sent me to clear out Quincy of hostiles :v:

Thankfully a vertibird and two brotherhood paladins (one of them legendary) came to my aid and we managed to clear it out.

I just cleared that on my Unarmed Character.

Baker had a Fat Man.

When I finally managed to get to him and disarmed him via punching...

He pulled out a Missile Launcher

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The usage of synths as both faction stooges as well as location related mobs really is a poorly thought out design decision.

There are at least three places (probably a lot more) where you explore a seemingly abandoned location only to run into synths on your way out, there's the retirement home, the fish packing factory and some other location which I can't remember... so you go through those places and on your way out all of a sudden synths appear and they proceed to just greet you. could have just had a trigger in the code that has regular Raiders spawn or nothing at all really cause it makes no sense for synths to keep spawning in those circumstances if the faction is friendly.

Of course you kill them anyway cause that's what you do in this game I guess.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Friar Zucchini posted:

I just realized, the Memory Den could be a super convenient way to give us some Great War or some other kind of pre-nuke DLC.

The eagerly awaited "Making Shaun" DLC

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The usage of synths as both faction stooges as well as location related mobs really is a poorly thought out design decision.

There are at least three places (probably a lot more) where you explore a seemingly abandoned location only to run into synths on your way out, there's the retirement home, the fish packing factory and some other location which I can't remember...

I was grumbling at the screen "you assholes!" about the synths at the retirement home, they did NOT have to kill the Mr. Handys working there

Played the least destructive Minutemen ending due to decision paralysis, some thoughts, some apply to other endings probably:
1. The synth-Shaun thing at the end should happen in private. Don't be disappointed in me, Preston, this doesn't concern you. Even Sturges is like "I feel ya, bro" once you explain. IRONY!
2. Nice touch in Diamond City afterwards, there are some Minutemen flags here and there.. I wonder if something similar happens with the other endings, I can't imagine it for the Institute though.
3. I'm sorta sad, I made sure to do things like get all the bobbleheads/books before trying an ending due to that decision paralysis, so there's not much content left for me except playing Falloutcraft with the horrible tools (though now that I know about ModPos and how you can use tricks to snap things which won't snap and all that, it seems way more attractive to try). Bring on the DLC!
4. Idiot Savant is a huge mistake if you're a completist like me, I am at level 61, surprise Mirelurk Queen is like "oh hi there, -get out Spray n' Pray-, have a nice day giant corpse". I don't even know what level I was at when I retook the Castle (spoilers for people who don't know one appears there), but it took one missile to knock off 85% of its health. Plus the fact that you get XP for building anything...that is probably a huge mistake and should be removed in a mod, I can't see why "building lovely wall with gaps out of pencils and paintbrushes" should get any reward.

OK, not a long list. Time for philosophy! I had a really hard time caring about the synths' rights/existence. If they were too traumatized or wanted a really fresh start they are mind-wiped - which means they essentially commit suicide anyhow. Why should I care to release on the world "blanks"/"restarts", especially since (assuming the Institute can be believed about it, I do), that is what causes them to wig out. The Railroad IS in fact causing the problem. But you can't say "Hey Dez, you know, how about we re-evaluate how we're going about this, didya know that..."

I couldn't bring myself to kill the BoS (and teetered on supporting them) because, yes, there are some "subtle" Nazi undertones but many of the individuals were likable, and I couldn't murder them. Teagan made me feel good after the end with his dialog. And it's a false-trap, I think, because you can say "Institute department heads are mad scientists but so-and-so is nice", or "Railroad are nuts but Deacon is cool" (he is, in that "putzy friend who makes you facepalm a lot" way). Maybe I take back the Institute point, was anyone nice/worth saving in there? That's why I picked the ending I did, the Institute were too cartoonishly evil and screwed up in the head...I also think the dead cats in the FEV lab helped cement my distaste. But they were obviously only doing it all for SCIENCE! and didn't care about the surface, plus again WHY were they making synths, to eventually replace humanity? That is not a desirable way to "help" humanity. We'll never know, though, lack of dialog trees for that. But the BoS was mostly an army of people with a somewhat logical idea (I have to agree some tech is bad for anyone to have right now), people who obviously cared about the rest of humanity, and they are doing work to clean out the Commonwealth... aside from a few no-names praising Maxson as you walk by, there weren't too many sycophants. I can picture things swinging back to being more like the DC Brotherhood once Maxson is gone, unless Kells get the reins. Also there's that whole mystery content people found where you take it over with Danse, so...head-canon time!. I also do wish they'd shut up whining that I didn't take my "brothers and sisters" with me, you no-name, it would have just been me, the big cheese, Ingram, and probably 3 others anyhow, go back to your push-ups in your underwear.

So I guess picking the ending was easy but hard, HATE INSTITUTE is so obvious it's almost painful, but being forced to wipe out the BoS or Railroad for each other's finishes is silly. /endrambling

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Jeffe posted:

Why should I care to release on the world "blanks"/"restarts", especially since (assuming the Institute can be believed about it, I do), that is what causes them to wig out.

Probably because they're your grandchildren and you're the progenitor of their entire species. Maybe if Bethesda spent slightly more than a few lines in a single conversation on this topic, we'd react differently to the synth "problem".

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Jeffe posted:

Plus the fact that you get XP for building anything...that is probably a huge mistake and should be removed in a mod, I can't see why "building lovely wall with gaps out of pencils and paintbrushes" should get any reward.

Most likely to encourage people to use it.

That said, if you turn on god mode it doesn't take any resources, and I don't believe it gives any XP.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Jeffe posted:

I was grumbling at the screen "you assholes!" about the synths at the retirement home, they did NOT have to kill the Mr. Handys working there
Those raiders were just trying to sell fish and dolphin meat :(

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!

mackintosh posted:

Probably because they're your grandchildren and you're the progenitor of their entire species. Maybe if Bethesda spent slightly more than a few lines in a single conversation on this topic, we'd react differently to the synth "problem".

That's a good point. Another missed opportunity. BTW I do love this game, if I sound negative.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Those raiders were just trying to sell fish and dolphin meat :(

Poisoned though! There's a guy who tells you about it and how you should get away because he's about to puke on you...I sorta wish he would puke and croak so the one level 4 trader would appear in his place.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I really wish the synth armour doesn't look so comically awful. They really should of made it look like the suit out of crysis or something rather than making it look like it's made of bits of cardboard boxes taped to you. The one piece of it I use I only use because its legendary and has +1 str on it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jeffe posted:

4. Idiot Savant is a huge mistake if you're a completist like me, I am at level 61, surprise Mirelurk Queen is like "oh hi there, -get out Spray n' Pray-, have a nice day giant corpse".

Yeah, the scaling doesn't really keep up, I hit 70 on survival being all completionist, zoned out of a building directly on top of a suicider who promptly did his touchdown dance. I survived with enough hp to just stand there and shoot his 5 buddies without looking for cover

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There are at least three places (probably a lot more) where you explore a seemingly abandoned location only to run into synths on your way out, there's the retirement home, the fish packing factory and some other location which I can't remember... so you go through those places and on your way out all of a sudden synths appear and they proceed to just greet you. could have just had a trigger in the code that has regular Raiders spawn or nothing at all really cause it makes no sense for synths to keep spawning in those circumstances if the faction is friendly.

Of course you kill them anyway cause that's what you do in this game I guess.

Synths are weird, the implication is the institute has been making them for 100+ years and skinjobs for 55+ years with some basic level of android man technology right back to the war.

So it's perfectly in universe that there could be all sorts of synths just around for various reasons. It'd be so easy to give like random gen 1 synths some random emblem or something and gin up some reason those are the old rouge synths that are okay to fight and just random enemies places. It's weird all synth activity seems current stuff.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's weird all synth activity seems current stuff.

The obvious answer is that Father is pure evil

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Jeffe posted:

That's a good point. Another missed opportunity. BTW I do love this game, if I sound negative.

It's a common issue with all Bethesda games. I adore FO4, its setting and all the things I can do, but vehemently despise the storyline. Especially the way they handled your ersatz "son" at the end. Such a terrible, lazy, ham fisted way to handle a subject that given fleshing out and some options, could have had so much potential for further gameplay. Still, I'm glad I kept him.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm pretty drat bored with the game 30 hours in. There just feels like there's nothing more fun to do. I followed the main quest until I got inside the institute, then lost interest in it. Roaming around and clearing the same drat banding camps is getting really stale too. I think I've explored all of the map too by this point (not been inside every building obviously). Is there really anything more to the game than collecting loving duct tape, trying out a new weapon mod and then going back to the SIXCRANK MUSKET

I don't get it. I've replayed F1, F2 and Fallout: Tactics dozens of times and loved Fallout 3 (probably spent 500+ hours). New Vegas was constantly crashing on me so I just rushed the mainquest so no opinion on that :v:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Skilleddk posted:

I'm pretty drat bored with the game 30 hours in. There just feels like there's nothing more fun to do. I followed the main quest until I got inside the institute, then lost interest in it. Roaming around and clearing the same drat banding camps is getting really stale too. I think I've explored all of the map too by this point (not been inside every building obviously). Is there really anything more to the game than collecting loving duct tape, trying out a new weapon mod and then going back to the SIXCRANK MUSKET

I don't get it. I've replayed F1, F2 and Fallout: Tactics dozens of times and loved Fallout 3 (probably spent 500+ hours). New Vegas was constantly crashing on me so I just rushed the mainquest so no opinion on that :v:
New Vegas final patch/Ultimate Edition is now one of the most stable Fallouts in the entire series so I'd suggest you give that another try at least.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Skilleddk posted:

1. game is pretty formulaic
2. you're getting old
3. download mods

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Skilleddk posted:

500+ hours is 20+ entire days, fallout 4 is a pretty good game but after that much investment in a fairly similar older game I'd say giving this one 40 hours or whatever is maybe enough. 30-40 hours is still a ton of time to get out of a 60 dollar single player game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Skilleddk posted:

I think the question is, what in FO3 held your attention that long, and where has it gone?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Well I dunno, some games just hold my attention. F3 was kinda first of its kind and it was fun just exploring. I'm not that keen on exploring F4 because I've seen it before, and it's so tightly packed there's no real sense of discovery.

I'm not really complaining, I did get more money's worth than most games. Just wondered if there was more to the game I've missed. I never tried the settlement stuff but honestly it seems exact same with even more duct tape needed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The settlement stuff is extremely tacked on and has absolutely no depth, so if you're not finding the core gameplay fun building settlements probably isn't going to breathe life into the game for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Well, I'm on my second character with over 150 hours played and I know for a fact there's poo poo I haven't explored yet.. I love the hell out of the game, but some things irritated me. I kinda wish the companions had more to say about things going on. Cait is my romance on this playthrough and I've done her whole storyline (as far as I know) and she went with me to confront Kellogg and didn't have a word to say about it when it was all said and done. I do have to say that not taking Piper with me the entire game like I did on my first run has led to some interesting appearances in Diamond City. I ran into her in Valentine's office trying to get dirt on me for a story, and I saw her arguing with the mayor's aide, when as far as I knew, she was still picking carrots in Sanctuary.

I'm enjoying the building aspect, but there's so much dumb poo poo that I wish had more polish. You can't put interior doors in buildings. Why? Why make the door thingie take up more space? And why can't I do a 2-high wall? I made a little workshop in Sanctuary and wanted to put a little upstairs room for my bed and nonsense since a settler had taken to living in the bedroom I made myself, and I couldn't put a door from my bedroom onto a little back deck/lookout thing. I had to make the "floor" of the lookout out of roofing bits, so now instead of a wooden deck I've got a corrugated metal deck. And the way things lock in at weird angles makes me want to tear my hair out. God forbid I want to make a loving right angle with wall sections. Gotta put on a ceiling to make that work! And wiring up a house is such a pain in the rear end.. can't lay out wiring along an exterior right angle, gotta lay down a pylon to burn more copper just to reconnect the same janky wire to another connection (or maybe I'm doing the whole thing wrong, who knows.. I'm just putting those little spiky ports on the exterior every couple of spaces and hooking a wire to it.)

• Locked thread