Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

deadly_pudding posted:

Holiday event. Hauling snowballs into Hel :v:

I can't check the website atm, and cannot tell if you're serious or not.

:argh: drat you, Poe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Beexoffel posted:

I'm in Holland, so it defaults to English and looks like this:

And that's just the tip.

My fav quote from the upmost left review:

quote:

MarioDragon 1 hour ago
How do ED fanboys feel knowing Star Citizen Apha 2.0 has more to do in it than an average day in Elite Dangerous? Even waiting for it to load up after it crashes is more exciting than staring at a blue dot to my next star station

I'd read more, but my doctor told me to cut back the salt in my diet. :allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So the entirety of Star Citizen has more to do in it than a single day worth of Elite 2.0? I can't help but think he should've worded that differently. (Or maybe this head cold has compromised my reading comprehension)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
SC has so many more things to do if you considering figuring out how to work around devastating bugs "a thing to do"

Like drat say what you will about E:D's lack of guided fun but it's been real solid. Only time I've gotten really frustrated was when I got stuck on a surface base because I don't have much sense about just how big my stupid Clipper is and I got caught between buildings.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Adult Sword Owner posted:

SC has so many more things to do if you considering figuring out how to work around devastating bugs "a thing to do"

Like drat say what you will about E:D's lack of guided fun but it's been real solid. Only time I've gotten really frustrated was when I got stuck on a surface base because I don't have much sense about just how big my stupid Clipper is and I got caught between buildings.

Sounds like the most fun in SC right now is using bugs to grief other players, which is what we do in Elite to begin with

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Literally Kermit posted:

I'd read more, but my doctor told me to cut back the salt in my diet. :allears:

Frontier made the mistake of actually releasing their game rather than just duping nerds to pay exorbitantly for jpegs.

for all it's many, many, many warts elite has the make-or-break feature of pretty much any modern action game of any kind, and that is that it moving through the environments feels correct, and that's pretty much the one thing that can't be fixed later on without scrapping the engine and rebuilding the game from scratch.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Annath posted:

Any currently ongoing Community Goals?

Apparently a couple bounty hunting and trading goals too, according to this thread. Sadly, I'm in the middle of deep rear end space looking for alieums.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Beexoffel posted:

I'm in Holland, so it defaults to English and looks like this:

And that's just the tip.

English speaking nerds are just the worst

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Bushiz posted:

for all it's many, many, many warts elite has the make-or-break feature of pretty much any modern action game of any kind, and that is that it moving through the environments feels correct, and that's pretty much the one thing that can't be fixed later on without scrapping the engine and rebuilding the game from scratch.

Agree 100%, I just spent half an hour running around in my SRV, didn't find anything (where are those minerals you supposedly gather to repairs / refuel / craft ammo? Is there a trick to finding stuff planetside?) and had an absolute blast.

Aside, how do you aim with a hotas? Seems like the guns are fixed only but I read somewhere they're actually turret mounted

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

TorakFade posted:

Agree 100%, I just spent half an hour running around in my SRV, didn't find anything (where are those minerals you supposedly gather to repairs / refuel / craft ammo? Is there a trick to finding stuff planetside?) and had an absolute blast.

Aside, how do you aim with a hotas? Seems like the guns are fixed only but I read somewhere they're actually turret mounted

You gotta deploy your turret dawg

Probably have to set a bind for it, then make sure the controls for the turret are set in the options.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TorakFade posted:

Were you using that wave scanner on your HUD? That thing is what you use to find resources. It is a passive, always-on scanner that covers the 45 (or so) degree arc your buggy is facing, you just drive towards poo poo on it and the bar slowly narrows as you get closer, once you get close enough, stuff becomes targetable.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

^^^ thanks, not sure if I get it but playtime's over for tonight, will try harder tomorrow :D

KakerMix posted:

You gotta deploy your turret dawg

Probably have to set a bind for it, then make sure the controls for the turret are set in the options.

OK serves me right for skipping all driving binds besides the basics and vertical thrusters :v:

Turret all set, this is awesome, now how do i find the random stuff on planets? Seems only settlements come up on the radar / contacts list... I want those sweet ammo crafting materials

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 17, 2015

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Just tried out the SRV for the first time and man those throttle controls are fuckin atrocious. Why aren't the controls "hold down to accelerate, but if you let go it'll gradually return to zero" like literally every other driving control setup in existence?? Why is there no option for "set throttle to 0%" like in flight mode? It's seriously making it a pain in the rear end to go anywhere at all.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Barnard's Loop is cheating

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Bad review spam on steam is probably the star citizen community being its charming self.

So i figured out a bunch of the ground missions.

If you want to fight stuff on the surface take surface missions with names like 'free data for all' and 'opening the gate,'

They make you go to a specific settlement somewhere and in the first case, inflitrate a hostile settlement and scan a thing, and in the second case destroy a generator of a specific type.

You can gently caress the base up from your ship then land and go do the objective on the scan ones, or bombard the generator to death from above in the 'open the gates' one.

Restricted or hostile settlements will aggro on you if you go into their airspace/their zone on the ground, and if you're close enough will sometimes spawn a bunch of the drones as well, so you can stack some of the kill drones missions.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 17, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I think a lot of the current negativity is from the sudden loss of primo grinding zones, mission-wise. You have a lot of gamers who were in a stack-execute-redeem loop- tedious or not, there was some lizard-brain satisfaction at seeing a couple dozen missions redeem all in one bunch- and they're now without that and instead presented with a lot of newer missions with (aside from Robigo) pretty lovely pay or bad/broken mechanics. I took a search and rescue job and spent an hour flying low in point of interest circles looking for signs of wreckage. Eventually found out from a video that you just land wherever you want and drive in a straight line until an escape pod spawns in front of you.

The game is great, the Steam reviews are overblown, but there's still plenty that needs fixing.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I'm really liking the designs of some of the settlements. Ran across one last night that had evidently been built in a crater and had a massive circular structure all around the rim. The landing pads were on top of the 'wall', and leaving in an SRV put you inside the circle, and there was a nifty giant exit tunnel/ramp up and out through the wall :allears:

Shame it's a pain in the rear end to find anomalies on planets. "Find the blue circle" sounds good and all, but when said circle is about 10 miles across and the anomalies tend to be too small to be seen from the air it's a real pain to track them down.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Icedude posted:

I'm really liking the designs of some of the settlements. Ran across one last night that had evidently been built in a crater and had a massive circular structure all around the rim. The landing pads were on top of the 'wall', and leaving in an SRV put you inside the circle, and there was a nifty giant exit tunnel/ramp up and out through the wall :allears:

Shame it's a pain in the rear end to find anomalies on planets. "Find the blue circle" sounds good and all, but when said circle is about 10 miles across and the anomalies tend to be too small to be seen from the air it's a real pain to track them down.

For 'find the escape pods' it seems like you can just drive around for a while and follow the hotter/colder sonar thing.

When your sonar deal pings escape pods it makes a different sound, like you can hear a beacon.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If the base game is anything to go by I bet there's tons of subtle differences in the scanner noises to figure out exactly what you're heading towards.

(I can only differentiate whoosh and click though)

Sard
May 11, 2012

I just noticed on Coriolis that your calculated armor value, when using both resistance armor and hull reinforcements, only applies the effective HP gain from resistance to the base armor. Is this broken, or is that how it works ingame- do you only get the resistance when your reinforcement package HP is depleted?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sard posted:

I just noticed on Coriolis that your calculated armor value, when using both resistance armor and hull reinforcements, only applies the effective HP gain from resistance to the base armor. Is this broken, or is that how it works ingame- do you only get the resistance when your reinforcement package HP is depleted?
Armour is effectively 'hull hitpoints' and the % increase given by bulkheads is just applied to the base value with hull reinforcements being additive after that is done. Reinforced Alloy is 140% base, Milspec and higher is 195% so the formula would be Total Armour = (Base armour * Bulkhead multiplier) + Hull reinforcement packages total. Essentially, if I have a ship with 500 armour and I have Reinforced Alloy and another 600 armour (totalled) worth of HRPs my final armour total should be 1300 total ((500*1.4)+600).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Luneshot posted:

Just tried out the SRV for the first time and man those throttle controls are fuckin atrocious. Why aren't the controls "hold down to accelerate, but if you let go it'll gradually return to zero" like literally every other driving control setup in existence?? Why is there no option for "set throttle to 0%" like in flight mode? It's seriously making it a pain in the rear end to go anywhere at all.

Turn off Drive Assist and make sure you've mapped the accelerate and decelerate axes, not just the vehicle speed one (or whatever it's called).

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Strategic Tea posted:

If the base game is anything to go by I bet there's tons of subtle differences in the scanner noises to figure out exactly what you're heading towards.

(I can only differentiate whoosh and click though)

It helps if you get in the habit at glancing at the compass when you get a good signal, what with all the flipping and skidding that will happen to the best of us. Keep your bearings!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Anyone know how long the loyalty "discount" lasts for? I'm interested in getting Horizons but I dunno if it's currently fun to throw $45 at.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Icedude posted:

Nelson Works, a settlement for one of the new CGs, is also in a crater. Took me a bit aback when I was dropping on it with my Imperial Clipper.

By the way, why did no-one tell me the Clipper sounds like a beached whale every time you boost? :allears:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Mercurius posted:

Armour is effectively 'hull hitpoints' and the % increase given by bulkheads is just applied to the base value with hull reinforcements being additive after that is done. Reinforced Alloy is 140% base, Milspec and higher is 195% so the formula would be Total Armour = (Base armour * Bulkhead multiplier) + Hull reinforcement packages total. Essentially, if I have a ship with 500 armour and I have Reinforced Alloy and another 600 armour (totalled) worth of HRPs my final armour total should be 1300 total ((500*1.4)+600).

What about the latter two armor types that resist damage types differently?

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Had a blast playing around 1000ly on a planet hunting for alien artefacts with people tonight. Turns out class D thrusters on a cobra mk3 are terrible on anything close to earth like gravity.
team photo:

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Shine posted:

Turn off Drive Assist and make sure you've mapped the accelerate and decelerate axes, not just the vehicle speed one (or whatever it's called).

I'm using a keyboard if that matters, but I'll try that.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Rank progression bars are fixed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owuy1AuourI

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Luneshot posted:

I'm using a keyboard if that matters, but I'll try that.

Basically, as covered in the very helpful Horizons videos, Drive Assist On is intended for people using analog throttles who want their throttle to control speed, like a cruise control. Drive Assist Off is for people using a typical throttle/brake setup and will make the controls function like a regular car. You can change which mode SRV's default to in the controls menu, and/or switch it on the fly with a button.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Just driving the SRVs kinda makes me want to get rudder pedals. For literally just this one game, I have next to no interest in racing sims or whatever.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sard posted:

What about the latter two armor types that resist damage types differently?
They adjust the damage modifier of kinetic/thermal damage taken for ALL of your armour, not just the base and they have the same 95% bonus modifier that milspec has. Provided the numbers I've found on random forums posts are still correct then mirrored gives a 20% bonus to defence against thermal weapons when taking hull damage and takes 20% more damage from kinetic weapons while reactive is a 20% bonus to defence against kinetic weapons when taking hull damage and takes 20% more damage from thermal weapons.

I'm pretty sure this is how the numbers work (remembering that 'armour' is analogous to 'hull hitpoints' in terms of damage taken):
  • 500 base armour, military grade composite bulkheads, 600 armour from hull reinforcement packages: 1575 armour vs all damage sources
  • 500 base armour, mirrored surface composite bulkheads, 600 armour from hull reinforcement packages: 1890 armour vs thermal, 1260 armour vs kinetic
  • 500 base armour, reactive surface composite bulkheads, 600 armour from hull reinforcement packages: 1890 armour vs kinetic, 1260 armour vs thermal

Sard
May 11, 2012

Mercurius posted:

armor ~*maths*~

Thanks again, this puts it in a better frame than I was thinking with before. Sounds like I've been going off really outdated information for a while too, as this works and works much more sensibly by comparison.

Sard fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 18, 2015

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Shine posted:

Basically, as covered in the very helpful Horizons videos, Drive Assist On is intended for people using analog throttles who want their throttle to control speed, like a cruise control. Drive Assist Off is for people using a typical throttle/brake setup and will make the controls function like a regular car. You can change which mode SRV's default to in the controls menu, and/or switch it on the fly with a button.

Oh god that fixes everything. Thanks a ton! I definitely should have watched those videos before trying it, I guess!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I had a mission to find 1 cannister of bootleg booze on a planet. Drove for hours. Found nothing except rocks. Checked some POIs, but none of them had cargo cannisters. :(

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Does scanning stuff with the wave scanner by holding down the button actually do anything?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Insert name here posted:

Does scanning stuff with the wave scanner by holding down the button actually do anything?

The wave scanner is on all the time. The button scanner is for data links.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Has anyone else been getting garbage textures every once in a while? It's kind of killing my vibe when everything suddenly has the consistency of used bath soap for no discernible reason (note the fire bottle and rollcage are still hi-res).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

3 posted:

Has anyone else been getting garbage textures every once in a while? It's kind of killing my vibe when everything suddenly has the consistency of used bath soap for no discernible reason (note the fire bottle and rollcage are still hi-res).

This texture thing is what prevents me from running over 1.5 supersampling either in the game or through my GPU's control panel. If I go any higher (like to 2.0) that panel you posted always looks like that. Granted I run at 3440x1440 so supersampling of any kind is certainly a large jump in required GPU horsepower but cmon, it's not like I don't have enough vram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Are you supposed to do anything special when you're waiting for someone to contact you for a cargo delivery destination? I played for a couple hours earlier, never got contacted, and just returned to the game now to find out I've failed the mission (there was no time limit).

• Locked thread