Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sarsapariller posted:

Much like half of the rest of the game, it's impossible to tell because they aren't being honest about it. The problem is people getting hyped like this is some sort of implemented feature instead of a bodged-together rush job that may or may not ever see daylight. CIG keeps doing stuff like this and then not delivering, and people keep falling for it.
How dare you, sir?

How dare you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

mashed_penguin posted:

So what have they claimed they are doing with regards to planetary landings that they aren't actually doing ?

The footage was "In-engine", which is marketing speak for "we made a cutscene and none of this is in the actual game".

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

wyoak posted:

It might not look as good as people want but people seem to be saying that the high-detail to low-detail transition means this doesn't count as a planetary landing for some reason or I'm misunderstanding the argument

Nobody is saying they didn't land on a planet. What they're saying is that the entire demonstration is intentionally crafted in such a way that it appears to be more advanced than it really is. This is based on the following arguments:

- The size of the planet was only 1000km, which is smaller than a moon.
- There were no planetary effects on the ship. No atmospheric effects, no gravitational effects, nothing at all. In other words there was no transition from space to planet.
- The only portion that the player interacted with had been previously shown and is hand crafted.
- You can clearly see the transition between the hand crafted portion and the procedurally generated portion.
- As per this post a lot of the effects used intentionally obfuscated some of problems.
- The demonstration was done in the editor and not the actual engine.

Now I am not a programmer, graphics engineer, level designer, or anything else. I'm just some rear end in a top hat on a keyboard. But my understanding is that, from a technical perspective, what was demonstrated there was not terribly revolutionary. It was essentially a 1000km sphere with some pretty effects applied to the surface and a hand crafted level put on one part of it. Within the confines of the game it was basically a big space station floating in space, and not necessarily representative of the type of tech one has seen in Elite or NMS.

In other words it was basically the same as doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDhJkF0AmQs

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySqCfpnR0Ck

When backers are instead interpreting it to mean that this is around the corner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEln23kDJxw

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

STAR CITIZEN REDDIT:

"David Braben (Frontier CEO) speaks on Star Citizen criticism"

quote:

""What both Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous are trying to do is very hard indeed. Both games are incredibly ambitious. I am proud and excited about what we are doing, but what they are doing is ambitious too, and I am looking forward to playing Star Citizen when it is finished. What we are both doing is new; we are trailblazing. The scope of both is vast and quite different, and neither have been done before, so there is no right answer for either of the approaches. It is frustrating to see some of the criticism of Star Citizen online. We should applaud when someone tries something that is hard, that hasn’t been done, not discourage them."

Very clever move on his part, it reads like he's supporting Star Citizen so the Citizens are going to like that and when they've had enough crashes for one night, will be more likely to buy his game. If Chris Roberts falls flat on his face later, I doubt Braben is going to care and might even have a quiet chuckle.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
What's so special about planetary landings anyways? :confused:

Killzone 2 did it in 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-4HNmuEAKg

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

mashed_penguin posted:

Well then what did they specifically show in the stream the other day that they didn't actually do and instead was smoke and mirrors? They showed terrain generation of a barren rocky world flying around in the editor from space all the way down to the surface. They showed flying a ship from space to their landing pad. They said there wasn't any flight physics. It looked like there was no gravity.

I just don't see what people are saying they faked.

There are no shortage of real things to mock when it comes to cig that the stretches people are going to to tear this apart seem more than a little :allears:

It's not faked, but it's just rough as hell like the below picture shows, look at that transition between the procedural stuff and the hand crafted stuff.

and then things like moon popping instantly in when the skybox changes

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

mashed_penguin posted:

There are no shortage of real things to mock when it comes to cig that the stretches people are going to to tear this apart seem more than a little :allears:

Yeah, I think the important thing over the next few months is fixing 2.0, all the other stuff just doesn't seem important yet. If they can't stop the crashes during the next 3 months people will stop playing it as "loading game" is even more boring than the airlocks. I loved that Chris Roberts was bored in the airlock, that was gold.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

mashed_penguin posted:

Well then what did they specifically show in the stream the other day that they didn't actually do and instead was smoke and mirrors? They showed terrain generation of a barren rocky world flying around in the editor from space all the way down to the surface. They showed flying a ship from space to their landing pad. They said there wasn't any flight physics. It looked like there was no gravity.

The game portion.

Edit:

Fired it up, walked over to my ship, hit the 'use' key, and tried to enter. After some jumping, the jittering stopped and I was kind wedged halfway in....oh, I have to 'use' the ladder rather than walk in?

GOTY.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:stonklol:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5XSiww9ZO4

This looks pretty impressive, but... Spider senses are tingling.

I want to believe.

Stuttering aside this still looks worse than what you can find in a game like Evochron Mercenary.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

mashed_penguin posted:

I think they are saying it is essentially a made-for-livestream movie, rather than something that they did by hopping in a ship and actually flying to the planet while recording

But who cares really, the only reason to be in this thread is to shitpost

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Evil Fluffy posted:

Stuttering aside this still looks worse than what you can find in a game like Evochron Mercenary.

Based on what I've read thus far it seems like you have to grade anything done in CryEngine on a curve.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

wyoak posted:

It might not look as good as people want but people seem to be saying that the high-detail to low-detail transition means this doesn't count as a planetary landing for some reason or I'm misunderstanding the argument

There's a spectrum - at one end there's a seamless transition from space flight, through atmospheric re-entry and gravitational effects all the way down to landing on a detailed planet and getting out and walking around.

At the other end is rendering a bump-map sphere with a hand crafted terrain model stuck to it in the cryengine editor, gluing a space ship to your camera viewport and pressing the "zoom out" button for a long period of time.

SC is somewhere between these two points, probably closer to the second than the first. The demonstration is, however, designed to make it look far more advanced than it really is.

It's the smoke and mirrors that people are complaining about.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5XSiww9ZO4

This looks pretty impressive, but... Spider senses are tingling.

I want to believe.

The scale on that is way off. As in, orders of magnitude off.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/306249/it-s-time-to-hold-turbulent-responsible

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

poo poo is the norm and is expected.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/306458/runningspeed-in-game

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wafflz posted:

poo poo is the norm and is expected.

This is not a serious issue.

This is the third or fourth time I've seen someone bring that up. Chris already answered it in 104TC, with the basic response of "LOL NO".

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wasn't evochron mercenary also made by 1 person?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
earth is actually procedurally generated

with the algorithms of physics

blew you're mind

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Why do shitizens hate running so much?

Wait, nevermind, I probably know the answer to that already.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

blew you're mind

Earth is unrealistic because I can see the seams between the handcrafted parts and the procedural parts. I want a refund.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

blew you're mind

You obviously never read the lore.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

mashed_penguin posted:

Earth is unrealistic because I can see the seams between the handcrafted parts and the procedural parts. I want a refund.

Talk to your local council and see if they can send a paving crew out.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Wafflz posted:

Why do shitizens hate running so much?

Wait, nevermind, I probably know the answer to that already.

IMMERSHUN!

You know, before today I mostly pitied the vast majority of the Star Citizen faithful. But from this point on, I think I'll just stick with 100% schadenfreude because of what rotten scumbags the vast majority of them really are.

Fractal Wave
Feb 7, 2009

blew you're mind

Don't put the idea in the chairman's head. He'll insist that our computer run a full simulation starting from the big bang before rendering each planet to ensure realism.

Also, what happened to the pending Dr. Smart blog, it appears to have been removed http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/12/star-citizen-the-hundred-million-dollar-lie/

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Decrepus posted:

I should have bought the collector's digital edition with the lore pdfs

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Decrepus posted:

Some of it's not canon, and it's difficult to know what is.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is the third or fourth time I've seen someone bring that up. Chris already answered it in 104TC, with the basic response of "LOL NO".
It's precious how important "immersion" is to so many of them.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

mashed_penguin posted:

I'm not saying it was faked except in the sense that they shuffled camera angles around to hide gory unfinished details, and the landing zone was clearly a high-poly model slapped on top of their planetary noise engine. It's probably real and you probably really could go fly in it right now. It'd be a buggy unfinished mess, but that wouldn't exactly distinguish it from the rest of the game.

But as GORF linked up above, they've done this numerous times in the past and then "Disappeared" those elements completely. It means nothing until it is released. Promising any feature with a 30 second clip in Star Citizen is akin to any other dev saying "Eh, maybe." But Citizens are already running into the streets shouting "GOTY 2016! SUCK IT DOWN, ELITE" which just rustles my jimmies because Elite clearly has a solid expansion for planet surfaces already in place.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

CrazyLoon posted:

IMMERSHUN!

You know, before today I mostly pitied the vast majority of the Star Citizen faithful. But from this point on, I think I'll just stick with 100% schadenfreude because of what rotten scumbags the vast majority of them really are.
What changed today?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Mirificus posted:

What changed today?

If anyone sees yesterday's disaster, and actually winds up snapping out of it and asking for a refund just to be safe, these guys will in unison proclaim: "HOW DARE YOU DO THAT?! You need to pay your bills or the doctor?! Your money is that of Christ Roberts now, blasphemer!" Or they'll engage in outright mockery, like that goon linked a few posts up on Reddit.

People with that little empathy can all burn in hell for all I care. Thankfully, I just need to sit back and watch them be hoisted by their own petard of giving all their money to a scam artist. I just wish they didn't insist everyone else must do so too, because some poor fool will actually listen to them one day and another life will be wrecked.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 17, 2015

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Fractal Wave posted:

Don't put the idea in the chairman's head. He'll insist that our computer run a full simulation starting from the big bang before rendering each planet to ensure realism.

Also, what happened to the pending Dr. Smart blog, it appears to have been removed http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/12/star-citizen-the-hundred-million-dollar-lie/

They got to him, :rip: Derek

We hardly knew ye

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I suggested a couple of days ago about having NPC hall monitors for the corridors.

e: Peter Gabriel, I forgot to remind you to post it in the brown sea.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think Derek's burned out on the blogging. A light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and Derek has burned so very very brightly.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I wonder what Ben was thinking when he thought it was a good idea to have Chris play the game live. He seems too literate to be outright stupid.

I mean, Chris obviously has no idea of what the game feels like, but what's Ben's excuse? I can't imagine Chris or Sandi being happy about their triumphant live feed endlessly mocked online and the shitizens having to rationalize it with stupid "oh but it looks so genuine" remarks.

Is Ben trying to get himself fired, or at least off-camera? I wouldn't be too surprised to see him leaving over "health concerns" in a couple months. That need not be faked, of course.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

No regret was better.

The live action cut scenes with the super soakers that were painted tactical black were the best.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I don't feel imergered. *flaps forearms off of chest several times*

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

grimcreaper posted:

No regret was better.

The live action cut scenes with the super soakers that were painted tactical black were the best.

When I heard Tony Z was coming onboard last year, I legit thought: "Great - that guy legit made cool games too back in the day (like both No Remorse and No Regret here), AND he's been studying economics and is put in charge of the PU at Austin now? CIG still has some hope to succeed now!" And apart from really going on, ya know, a million times, he was pretty cool.

But all that don't count for poo poo when CR insists on everything being done from LA under his direct supervision as much as possible, while Austin gets gutted quietly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Omi-Polari posted:

I think Derek's burned out on the blogging. A light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and Derek has burned so very very brightly.

But there's marketing to be done.

Games to sell.

• Locked thread