Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

OssiansFolly posted:

so, you're saying I should also have a gun to protect myself against psychopaths with guns? Cool, turns out that is also a reason I have my CCW. I am sure the likelihood of getting robbed at gun point is fairly low, but having been robbed at gunpoint 3 times before I turned 30 has made me skeptical. I don't like being a helpless victim.

How do you envision your gun helping in this situation were it to occur again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

OssiansFolly posted:

Yea, they will cover things minus the deductible, but not likely for the full value as they have no way to grade them prior to the loss. Not to mention there is generally a limit to how much they will cover for things outside the home that are stolen from your vehicle or something like that (different from company to company but an example would be 10% of the Personal Property coverage on the policy, so if you have your luggage stolen on vacation you have some coverage). If I have a $1,000 deck stolen then I am SOL since my deductible is $1,000. Scheduled items/collections generally carry a $0 deductible, and that is where the problem lies with an item that is used, graded and constantly fluctuating in pricing.
I worked as a personal lines agent for a number of years and still work in the industry, and I think a lot of policies have more generous coverage than the picture you're painting--the standard ISO form for renters coverage for instance doesn't really have any restrictions that would apply to magic cards which don't have special collector value like miscuts (speaking from personal experience, I just ordered NM/LP copies of the cards I lost from an online shop, sent the adjuster my receipt, and got reimbursed, but, to maybe make the understatement of the century, I know that not every adjuster/company is as easy to work with). I don't really want to get into a dorky argument about this, so I think we'll probably agree that if people want to insure their poo poo, they should just talk to their insurance agent, and be aware that the options they have are going to vary based on the company and their unique situation.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 17, 2015

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Static Equilibrium posted:

I worked as a personal lines agent for a number of years and still work in the industry, and I think a lot of policies have more generous coverage than the picture you're painting--the standard ISO form for renters coverage for instance doesn't really have any restrictions that would apply to magic cards which don't have special collector value like miscuts (speaking from personal experience, I just ordered NM/LP copies of the cards I lost from an online shop, sent the adjuster my receipt, and got reimbursed, but, to maybe make the understatement of the century, I know that not every adjuster/company is as easy to work with). I don't really want to get into a dorky argument about this, so I think we'll probably agree that if people want to insure their poo poo, they should just talk to their insurance agent, and be aware that the options they have are going to vary based on the company and their unique situation.

Yea for the most part. I just know from prior experience of writing MTG stores and collections in the past how companies generally handle this type of "collection coverage".

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Getting back on track.

Oloro Flicker. What would you take out for a Draining Whelk (and possibly a Vampiric Tutor).

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

AlternateNu posted:

Getting back on track.

Oloro Flicker. What would you take out for a Draining Whelk (and possibly a Vampiric Tutor).

Maybe Far//Away and Slithermuse (or Glimmerpoint Stag) for the 2?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Getting back on track.

Do you mean what would you take out aside from your gun :smithicide:.

Merieke Ri Berit seems pretty underwhelming.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

OssiansFolly posted:

As an insurance agent, I assure you that doing so is not as easy as you think. It is an item that is played with, needs graded, and is constantly fluctuating in price. Most standard markets don't want to cover something like that. Non-standard markets will do a blanket policy, but won't cover mysterious disappearance, theft, burglary, or wear and tear. You'd have coverage against the elements.

As someone who has tried to insure 5 figures worth of cards I can assure you that it's impossible.

NivMizzet posted:

I'm pretty sure the mindset that plays a Stax deck for fun has no concern whatsoever for other people.

Correct. I've murdered my entire play group thrice over. They asked me to play a different deck; I had to defend myself.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I pull out my stungun and knock my opponent out any time I begin my lockdown loop with Shisato, Whispering Hunter in my snake tribal EDH deck.

Sharzak posted:

I'm getting into EDH with a few friends who are probably going to be taking it a bit more seriously than I am. I've made a Lorthos, the Tidemaker octopus themed EDH deck that will pretty much be mono-U control except with a shitload of angry sea monsters and mind control effects. I've never played EDH before, is there anything in here I'm obviously missing? I'm at 99 cards right now. One of the people I'm playing with has specifically requested nobody use Sol Ring which was the 100th. I'm very close to telling him to eat poo poo since I'm using Lorthos and he's using Derevi, but that's neither here nor there right now--are there any other glaring holes in my deck? Does this have any chance at hanging against a Derevi or Kaalia or other degenerate commanders? I'm less concerned with ramping and more concerned with having enough bounce and counterspells to just make it a pain in the rear end to target me, but any ramp I could slot in would be obviously immensely helpful. I would like more options for graveyard recursion as well.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-12-15-lorthos-edh/

Quest for Ula's Temple is basically your deck in a nutshell, and Reality Shift gives you another Blue source of creature Exile.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

Do you mean what would you take out aside from your gun :smithicide:.

Merieke Ri Berit seems pretty underwhelming.

I agree, Merieke doesn't seem to mesh with the flicker theme except as a recurring "destroy target creature" effect that you can only do once per round. I'm also not sure how great Slithermuse will be to flicker depending on how controlling this deck wants to be and how fast you can empty your hand. I think the Whelk probably beats either of them for a soft lock and I'm pretty certain Vampiric Tutor does as well.

This is a deck I've been hammering out today but I want the build locked before I pull the trigger on it. I've loaded some previous recommendations from the thread in the maybeboard, but I'm always open to more.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I agree, Merieke doesn't seem to mesh with the flicker theme except as a recurring "destroy target creature" effect that you can only do once per round. I'm also not sure how great Slithermuse will be to flicker depending on how controlling this deck wants to be and how fast you can empty your hand. I think the Whelk probably beats either of them for a soft lock and I'm pretty certain Vampiric Tutor does as well.

This is a deck I've been hammering out today but I want the build locked before I pull the trigger on it. I've loaded some previous recommendations from the thread in the maybeboard, but I'm always open to more.

Yeah. I can also Conjurer's Closet whatever I steal to keep it forever. But, she is kind of slow. Ironically, she was originally the general for the deck, but I was paying so much life for Phyrexian Delver and a bunch of other effects that I would die too easily mid-game.

Also, you're goofy. :v:

Edit: This reminds me. You guys have seen my other deck, right?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 18, 2015

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I sat out of Magic like a year, ducking out after Khans. Did anything come out that a Talrand deck would want other than Anticipate

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Getting back on track.

Yeah, please don't talk about concealed carry in this thread. Hiding your equipment under your cards is cheating :eng101:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I sat out of Magic like a year, ducking out after Khans. Did anything come out that a Talrand deck would want other than Anticipate

Mystic Confluence from the latest precons is pretty sweet, basically a strictly better Jace's Ingenuity.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Also, if you're talking about Anticipate, Talrand wants Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

Also, if you're talking about Anticipate, Talrand wants Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise.

Oh yeah, without a doubt. I assumed "after Khans" meant "FRF and on".

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Anyone have suggestions for janky combos in RUG, I'm talking about stuff people won't even see when the pieces are already on the table. I currently have cephalid shrine and guile in my Maelstrom Wanderer deck, something like that.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Tonight I won a 7-player game of Commander by playing Grey Merchant for 8, sacrificing him to High Market, and Whipping him back out. With a Grave Pact and Erebos (commander) on the board. It is the single most fun I've had playing magic in the past 6 months, and that includes winning the BFZ Gameday. Standard has become so boring that this variety feels great. Some of the stupid stuff you can do, or your opponents can do, is amazing.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Algid posted:

Anyone have suggestions for janky combos in RUG, I'm talking about stuff people won't even see when the pieces are already on the table. I currently have cephalid shrine and guile in my Maelstrom Wanderer deck, something like that.

Cast Maelstrom Wanderer, stack it counter, cascade, cascade, resolve the two spells, choose not to pay x=0, counter, exile, re-cast, repeat until all value has been exhausted then swing with your entire deck with haste?

Alternatively: Cast that Acidic Slime Eldrazi/Either Ulamog when it comes out and destroy everyone's everything.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ettin posted:

Yeah, please don't talk about concealed carry in this thread. Hiding your equipment under your cards is cheating :eng101:

I make sure to always keep a Cheatyface under one of my lands that I can slip out to surprise block a lethal flying commander to my face when they thought it would get through unopposed.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

hoobajoo posted:

Oh yeah, without a doubt. I assumed "after Khans" meant "FRF and on".

Yeah I played Khans.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sharzak posted:

I've made a Lorthos, the Tidemaker octopus themed EDH deck that will pretty much be mono-U control except with a shitload of angry sea monsters and mind control effects.

Quest For Ula's Temple. It's incredibly weak but it's a flavor win.

Also, there's not reason to run Essence Scatter over Exclude.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
What would people recommend as a commander for playing pretty much just counter, draw, and removal? I threw together a Noyan Dar deck with only cards I had, so it's nowhere near tuned, but it was a lot of fun. Ended up with a monastery mentor in one game that got out of hand very quickly. I would prefer if it had white in it so I could continue running mentor. I would probably have to add pillow fort elements to it to avoid dying too quickly.

Really looking to play fun police since nobody else in my playgroup has been running counters recently and the durdles have been going uncontested.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DarkRider09 posted:

What would people recommend as a commander for playing pretty much just counter, draw, and removal? I threw together a Noyan Dar deck with only cards I had, so it's nowhere near tuned, but it was a lot of fun. Ended up with a monastery mentor in one game that got out of hand very quickly. I would prefer if it had white in it so I could continue running mentor. I would probably have to add pillow fort elements to it to avoid dying too quickly.

Really looking to play fun police since nobody else in my playgroup has been running counters recently and the durdles have been going uncontested.

Oloro.

You get all of White and Black sweepers and Blue's card draw. And if you decide to force Al Bundy off this throne, he just drains your opponents until they die or give up in frustration.

If you want to play Green instead of White, you could do Damia.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Playing Damia as control is weird though because she rewards you for just ramping and playing broken poo poo. I used to run her to punish friends who complained about games where I'd play policeman with Talrand. I.e. this is what happens when nobody takes it on themselves to stop green from ruining the game

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

DarkRider09 posted:

Seconding the Couchmaster Supreme, his ability naturally provides defense and some sweet lifegain synergies and Esper polices the fun second to none.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Damia's pretty terrible and easily the worst BUG general.

She costs too much for something with no immediate effect and doesn't really advance any victory condition.

She also plays best out of a deck that can empty its hand regularly, but that's leaving yourself wide open and doesn't mesh with a 7 CMC.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Damia's pretty terrible and easily the worst BUG general.

She costs too much for something with no immediate effect and doesn't really advance any victory condition.

She also plays best out of a deck that can empty its hand regularly, but that's leaving yourself wide open and doesn't mesh with a 7 CMC.

Also Notion Thief HILARIOUSLY cripples her.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

DarkRider09 posted:

Oloro is a great suggestion if you want to go esper, but in terms of pure fun police, Talrand is also a good bet. In 1v1 he's completely broken; in multiplayer it can be a lot harder to make him stick and kill everyone with drakes, but it can be done. I had a talrand deck for a while that was basically 35 lands, 35 counterspells, 12 draw spells, 12 pieces of removal/bounce and 6 ramp spells. It was pretty horrible.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Oloro is a great suggestion if you want to go esper, but in terms of pure fun police, Talrand is also a good bet. In 1v1 he's completely broken; in multiplayer it can be a lot harder to make him stick and kill everyone with drakes, but it can be done. I had a talrand deck for a while that was basically 35 lands, 35 counterspells, 12 draw spells, 12 pieces of removal/bounce and 6 ramp spells. It was pretty horrible.

The problem with Talrand as a control deck is the lack of sweepers and engines. Counterspells are just kinda bad in a multiplayer game, you cannot counter things in the same way you can in 1v1. T-dog is best as a tempo-based aggro deck where you use counters judiciously to protect your own boardstate primarily, then sweep the rug out from everyone, because you can't out-value midrange decks, you can just stop combos and win faster.

If you want to go mono-U control, Teferi would be a much better choice.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
I think Oloro's probably best for keeping the board under control just for being Esper, but I like to run Angus Mackenzie to encourage the other players to eat each other so I don't fog. It takes you out of black so you're going to miss Tutors and some sweepers, but you get to play Prophet of Kruphix and Seedborn Muse to untap every turn for counters along with Voidslime to counter anything. It may just come down to your playstyle, I'm not sure which is the right choice.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

hoobajoo posted:

The problem with Talrand as a control deck is the lack of sweepers and engines. Counterspells are just kinda bad in a multiplayer game, you cannot counter things in the same way you can in 1v1. T-dog is best as a tempo-based aggro deck where you use counters judiciously to protect your own boardstate primarily, then sweep the rug out from everyone, because you can't out-value midrange decks, you can just stop combos and win faster.

If you want to go mono-U control, Teferi would be a much better choice.

Yeah if you're building for multi, run more draw and cantrips. The long control game is possible but it involves Capsize, Future Sight, and everyone hating you. Wash Out type effects are a must for any version though.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah if you're building for multi, run more draw and cantrips. The long control game is possible but it involves Capsize, Future Sight, and everyone hating you. Wash Out type effects are a must for any version though.

You can do it, but I really think you're going counter to what Talrand naturally wants to do. Put it this way, I think the best Teferi deck is a control deck, and the best Talrand deck is a tempo deck.

And yeah, this is multi only, T-dog is bananas control in French.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

hoobajoo posted:

You can do it, but I really think you're going counter to what Talrand naturally wants to do. Put it this way, I think the best Teferi deck is a control deck, and the best Talrand deck is a tempo deck.

Agreed. Also Talrand control in multi requires you to be a talented diplomat.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Azami, Lady of Scrolls can be a decent control deck if you want a Wizard sub-theme. A friend of mine has a lot of success with his because you have counters to protect your creatures who in turn provide you with immense card advantage.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah, Azami as a commander or just showing up in Teferi can be brutal. I don't like it for Talrand because you don't want to run as many creatures, though and things like Ertai and Patron Wizard make people lose their poo poo and over-evaluate their strength.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Azami + Forbid = BFFs

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Picked up Noyan Dar in rare redrafts. Any sweet lists for him? On one hand, he's easier to protect than Talrand and the creatures are bigger. Plus you get the advantage of an extra color. That's all pretty legit. But tying your mana production to your kill condition could just be worse.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Picked up Noyan Dar in rare redrafts. Any sweet lists for him? On one hand, he's easier to protect than Talrand and the creatures are bigger. Plus you get the advantage of an extra color. That's all pretty legit. But tying your mana production to your kill condition could just be worse.

Brew fun stuff with jeskai ascendancy. If your lands are creatures, you tap them for mana then untap from ascendancy. Silly fun.

Edit: this is the commander thread, not general. Disregard.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This is my Intet, the Dreamer deck. I want to tune it up, but only using the cards I possess have since I don't want to spend anymore money on this thing right now. Generally, the idea is to have fliers and possibly dragons to interact well with Utvara Hellkite and Stormtide Leviathan and not get killed in the meantime. It's sort of a control deck, and it's built to eschew infinite/instant wins and mass land destruction.

So, current thoughts:

Cut Drift of Phantasms for Brainstorm? (Drift hasn't done what I wanted it to, and Brainstorm has needed to go in for a while now. If not in this slot, somewhere else.)

Cut Bramblecrush for Earthquake or Inferno? (I want more sweepers, and Bramblecrush is in there mostly to kill planeswalkers, which these can do. Earthquake is probably better due to my number of fliers, but I occasionally need to kill opposing hexproof fliers, and instant speed is nice.)

Cut either Distainful Stroke or Negate for Counterflux? (I don't know which, since I don't want all three of my counters to be conditional, and I don't want to cut Muddle the Mixture because that card has been an all star.)

Cut Kodama's Reach for Farseek or Sakura Tribe Elder? (Both have less oomph, but Farseek grabs duals and help if I get greedy or LD'd to 2.)

Cut Deep Analysis for either Compulsive Research, Frantic Search, Careful Consideration, Tidings, or Opportunity? (Added it recently, I really don't like it as much as I hoped I would. Not sure what I want to replace it with? I'm leaning towards Compulsive because it has the deepest dig for the cost, and if I need lands, I don't mind pitching 2 others.)

Cut Terramorphic Expanse for Mountain Valley? (What is the goonsensus on the Mirage sac-lands? It seems mostly superior in a deck running at least some form of actual dual.)

Cut *something* for Moltensteel Hellkite, Bogardan Hellkite, Shivan Dragon, Mordant Dragon, Two-Headed Dragon, Pyrohemia, Inferno Titan, Dragon Whelp or Thieving Magpie? (The biggest problem with the deck is it probably just needs more dudes. I am honestly leaning towards Magpie because drawing is good and the curve is kinda high already. I just don't know what to cut.)

What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
I'm trying to make a 5-color deck that uses all of the precon commanders. I don't imagine it will be a great deck, but I think it could be fun and do some really interesting things. This is my first 5-color deck and I'm guessing it's not very good at the moment and could use some guidance if any of you have pointers: http://deck.tk/9Oja1v00 (commander is Horde of Notions at the moment but I don't imagine I'd actually play it very often).

My playgroup isn't super competitive and I'm trying to keep the costs down (most of the things that are > $5 I already have), so hoping to not get too much stuff that's over a few dollars. Is there anything glaringly obvious that I'm missing/doing wrong?