Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

So the department should, what, punish officers on the basis of unsworn statements?

How about investigate them and look at other complaints against the officer when doing so? You're right they shouldn't be punished without an affidavit, but as police remind us constantly, an investigation isn't a punishment. Investigate complaints and look at officer's history of repeat complaints when investigating.

quote:

Nearly 60 percent of all the complaints were thrown out without being fully investigated because the alleged victims failed to sign required affidavits. What's more, investigators won't consider an officer's complaint history as part of the investigation, and many of the cases come down to the word of the officer versus the accuser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DARPA posted:

I'd say Yes? Why does a statement need to be sworn to investigate something internally? It isn't a criminal trial. It's an administrative punishment by their employer. If what the officer did gets elevated to a criminal matter then the statement can upgrade its sweariness.
If literally the only evidence against a person is a statement that the accuser refuses to swear to the truthfulness of, I think the case should be dropped no matter who you are.

Trabisnikof posted:

How about investigate them and look at other complaints against the officer when doing so? You're right they shouldn't be punished without an affidavit, but as police remind us constantly, an investigation isn't a punishment. Investigate complaints and look at officer's history of repeat complaints when investigating.
It's fine if someone's discipline history is part of an investigation, but allegations of which a person was cleared shouldn't be used against them. Its just as scummy as employers using those "find anyone's arrest record" sites.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's fine if someone's discipline history is part of an investigation, but allegations of which a person was cleared shouldn't be used against them. Its just as scummy as employers using those "find anyone's arrest record" sites.

It's less scummy because police have the power of life and death over citizens, and limitless authority in practice. All scummy tricks are appropriate and necessary until corrupt institutions are reformed.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It's OK when we do it to really bad people. Martial law will end once the revolution has been safeguarded.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 17, 2015

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Dead Reckoning posted:

If literally the only evidence against a person is a statement that the accuser refuses to swear to the truthfulness of, I think the case should be dropped no matter who you are.

They aren't fully investigating though. They're saying "All we have is the initial complaint. Case closed." before they even look into it. It's the "only evidence" because they haven't been bothering to look for anything more.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DARPA posted:

They aren't fully investigating though. They're saying "All we have is the initial complaint. Case closed." before they even look into it. It's the "only evidence" because they haven't been bothering to look for anything more.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a lot of these complaints are ones that don't have a lot of physical evidence.

"Hey officer DARPA, did you use an ethnic slur when you stopped a woman on Friday?"
"Nope."
"Well, she says you did."
"I see. Well, I didn't. Has she submitted a sworn statement to that effect?"
"No."
"Was there anyone else present?"
"No."
"OK, have a nice day."

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a lot of these complaints are ones that don't have a lot of physical evidence.

"Hey officer DARPA, did you use an ethnic slur when you stopped a woman on Friday?"
"Nope."
"No."
"No."
"OK, have a nice day."

And you know that how?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Nope."
"No."
"No."
"OK, have a nice day."
More like,
"Officer Johnny White, this is the 14th complaint we've got of you calling a black citizen a friend of the family. We sent you to sensitivity training twice and suspended you for one day already. You're suspended without pay for the next week."
"But was it a SWORN statement?"
"Get hosed, you make the rest us look bad."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DARPA posted:

More like,
"Officer Johnny White, this is the 14th complaint we've got of you calling a black citizen a friend of the family. We sent you to sensitivity training twice and suspended you for one day already. You're suspended without pay for the next week."
"But was it a SWORN statement?"
"Get hosed, you make the rest us look bad."
So you want to move the burden of proof on to the accused based on previous misbehavior and have people punished on the basis of unsupported, un-sworn testimony. That's not hosed up and dystopian at all. I can see why the police are glad they have unions. (Also, we were talking about allegations an officer has been previously cleared of, but you've suddenly shifted to an officer with a record of substantiated complaints.)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

So you want to move the burden of proof on to the accused based on previous misbehavior and have people punished on the basis of unsupported, un-sworn testimony. That's not hosed up and dystopian at all. I can see why the police are glad they have unions. (Also, we were talking about allegations an officer has been previously cleared of, but you've suddenly shifted to an officer with a record of substantiated complaints.)

Funny that when its a police investigation of police, getting investigated or having unsworn testimony collected against you is some horrible violation of officer's rights. But if police did that to anyone else, it would be their job.

Edit: once again, don't move the goal posts, we're talking about even just investigating complaints not firing or arresting people.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 18, 2015

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

These aren't crimes (yet, and if they get elevated then the burden of proof does as well). These are customer service issues. The department is treating people reporting issues as the enemy, rather than people they serve. Instead of confrontational, the department should be vigorously trying to resolve issues instead of adding barriers to investigation. "Come back Monday - Friday between 9 and 5 to sign your complaint with a supervisor" is a great way to prevent your buddies from facing up to what they've done, and a terrible way to serve the community.

Edit: And "allegations previously cleared of" include the 60% they automatically get cleared of because no one even bothers to look into it.

DARPA fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 18, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

botany posted:

And you know that how?
The aforementioned Chicago Tribune article says, "many of the cases come down to the word of the officer versus the accuser."

Trabisnikof posted:

Funny that when its a police investigation of police, getting investigated or having unsworn testimony collected against you is some horrible violation of officer's rights. But if police did that to anyone else, it would be their job.

Edit: once again, don't move the goal posts, we're talking about even just investigating complaints not firing or arresting people.
The difference being, if the police want to act against you, they have to get those witnesses to swear to their testimony in a court of law. Which is different from what DARPA has been suggesting.

DARPA is literally talking about suspending people without pay in the post I quoted, so don't accuse me of moving the goal posts.

DARPA posted:

These aren't crimes (yet, and if they get elevated then the burden of proof does as well). These are customer service issues... Instead of confrontational, the department should be vigorously trying to resolve issues instead of adding barriers to investigation. "Come back Monday - Friday between 9 and 5 to sign your complaint with a supervisor" is a great way to prevent your buddies from facing up to what they've done, and a terrible way to serve the community.
It's wrong to put the burden of proof on the accused in any circumstance, criminal justice or otherwise. Your arguments are no different from the people who complain that criminals keep getting off on "technicalities" because of due process. Even if you work at McDonalds, I don't think your supervisor should be allowed to discipline you on the basis of anonymous or un-sworn allegations. Just because McDonalds exploits its workers and keeps them from unionizing isn't an excuse to try to strip the same protection from everyone else.

DARPA posted:

The department is treating people reporting issues as the enemy, rather than people they serve.
[citation needed]

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

botany posted:

Oh is that something somebody in this thread said? No? Then how about you shut the gently caress up

DARPA posted:

I'd say Yes? Why does a statement need to be sworn to investigate something internally? It isn't a criminal trial. It's an administrative punishment by their employer. If what the officer did gets elevated to a criminal matter then the statement can upgrade its sweariness.

:allears:

None of the relevant information is available, which isn't all that surprising in retrospect- given that such a large proportion of the filers weren't willing to swear an affidavit, it'd be difficult for anyone, including someone with access to all the reports, to make a frequency distribution. The distribution of claims has some suspicious outliers (a bit less than 10% was "inadequate/failure to provide service"), which defined deductively against other claims seems likely to contain a lot of empty "they didn't make those kids upstairs turn down their radio" complaints, but that's not the sort of data I was going for.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I wonder why lots of claims went without sworn affidavits. Is it time to post that video of people being threatened when asking for a complaint form at police departments again?

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

Before I read your thoughtful contributions, I thought police officers shooting unarmed poor people with impunity was dystopian, but now I realize yeah maybe police officers are the real victims in all this hubbub about black lives mattering.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Watermelon City posted:

Before I read your thoughtful contributions, I thought police officers shooting unarmed poor people with impunity was dystopian, but now I realize yeah maybe police officers are the real victims in all this hubbub about black lives mattering.
I don't think throwing out the rules in order to catch offenders is the proper way to react to problems. This "anyone who criticizes our ideas loves cops shooting minorities" thing is silly.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Officer Jones, this is the fourth time we've received a complaint about you! Unfortunately, there haven't been any sworn affidavits, so it's impossible to draw any conclusions about your behavior.

That feels right to you?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Watermelon City posted:

Officer Jones, this is the fourth time we've received a complaint about you! Unfortunately, there haven't been any sworn affidavits, so it's impossible to draw any conclusions about your behavior.

That feels right to you?
You do realize that this argument is essentially "If enough people say it, it must be true!" right?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

ozmunkeh posted:

I wonder why lots of claims went without sworn affidavits. Is it time to post that video of people being threatened when asking for a complaint form at police departments again?

Apparently we do, because according to DR if it's not in an affidavit, it didn't happen. Nevermind that that flies completely in the face of how similar complaints of racism, sexism, and workplace violence are handled at literally every other unelected job in this country.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Raerlynn posted:

Apparently we do, because according to DR if it's not in an affidavit, it didn't happen. Nevermind that that flies completely in the face of how similar complaints of racism, sexism, and workplace violence are handled at literally every other unelected job in this country.

Look, we can't treat police the same way as we do every other type of professional. That would be absurd.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

You do realize that this argument is essentially "If enough people say it, it must be true!" right?

No, its more "if enough people say it, maybe the police should investigate!"

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Discendo Vox posted:

:allears:

None of the relevant information is available, which isn't all that surprising in retrospect- given that such a large proportion of the filers weren't willing to swear an affidavit, it'd be difficult for anyone, including someone with access to all the reports, to make a frequency distribution. The distribution of claims has some suspicious outliers (a bit less than 10% was "inadequate/failure to provide service"), which defined deductively against other claims seems likely to contain a lot of empty "they didn't make those kids upstairs turn down their radio" complaints, but that's not the sort of data I was going for.

It's not because of people not swearing that there's a lack of information. Even the confirmed ones don't have it.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Look, we can't treat police the same way as we do every other type of professional. That would be absurd.
You gain certain powers when you put on the badge, like freedom from any scrutiny. You civilians don't understand what it's like, the lukewarm coffee, carpal tunnel suffered while putting your life on the line writing tickets... I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
This is all a really good argument for ensuring all cops have body cams on them at all times when they're on the job, so when someone makes a complaint they can just check the video. No more "he said she said."

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Lemming posted:

This is all a really good argument for ensuring all cops have body cams on them at all times when they're on the job, so when someone makes a complaint they can just check the video. No more "he said she said."
If you don't want to have a body camera on you at all times, recording everything you say and do, then maybe find a job where you are not an agent of the organization with a monopoly on force and the arbiter of justice and defender of families, tasked with risking your life on a daily basis. I mean, I get that its a problem because where else can an ex-military grunt with a C average in high school as his highest education get a job that pays amazingly well with retirement after 20 years?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
We've also seen what happens when citizens go to the police station to file a complaint: they get intimidated or arrested. Is that where they're supposed to go to make the sworn statement?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jtes/daniel-holtzclaw-women-in-their-ow#.hb0oELyO56

quote:

The next month, T.B. said she had another encounter with Holtzclaw when she pulled up to her house and found his patrol car in her driveway. Holtzclaw was on the porch — he told T.B. to “come here,” and put her in the backseat of his car, running her name again. She asked him why he was at her house — he asked her where she had been and whether she’d taken care of her tickets yet. She told him he was scaring her daughter, who was on the front porch.

quote:

I didn’t think nobody was going to believe me anyway. And I’m a drug addict, so the only way I knew to handle it was to go and get high to try to block it out, to make it seem like it didn’t happen.

I didn’t want to because people were telling me … they wasn’t going to believe me over a police — and I almost feel like all [officers] are the same.

A., then 17, was walking through her neighborhood with two friends, who were arguing, when Holtzclaw pulled up and stopped them. He said he got a call about one of her friends threatening the other, and he questioned each of the three separately. When it was A.’s turn, Holtzclaw searched her purse, ran her name through his system, and told her that she had outstanding warrants. He told her she needed to take care of them, then let her and her two friends go.

But later that night — just before dark — A. was alone and walking to her mom’s house when Holtzclaw stopped her again.

She testified that Holtzclaw then exposed his penis through his fly and raped her.

Afterward Holtzclaw told A., “’I might be back to see you later,’” she said.

Yeah I can't fathom why people are inclined to believe people who don't make "formal, signed complaints" when it comes to police misconduct.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SedanChair posted:

We've also seen what happens when citizens go to the police station to file a complaint: they get intimidated or arrested. Is that where they're supposed to go to make the sworn statement?

This is a little reminiscent of the issue with the Burger King manager saying that the police erased the footage of that murder when the tapes had mysteriously specific parts deleted and no one in the PD cared to look into it. There's no investigation because there's no evidence they did anything and there's no evidence because there was no investigation. We can't know which officers it was because there's just no way to know without doing an investigation that we simply can't do because we don't know who was there. It's a pretty great way to make sure you have an excuse why your hands are always tied and can't do anything.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 18, 2015

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Dead Reckoning posted:

So you want to move the burden of proof on to the accused based on previous misbehavior and have people punished on the basis of unsupported, un-sworn testimony. That's not hosed up and dystopian at all.

Lol that's how every other job in this country works.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Lol that's how every other job in this country works.

But other jobs in this country don't require you to PUT YOUR LIFE ON THE LINE, pal.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

But other jobs in this country don't require you to PUT YOUR LIFE ON THE LINE, pal.

The comedy is that in my office job, if I were accused of misconduct, my employer would still likely do more of an investigation than the cops do when one of their own receives a complaint. And I work at an at - will state.

Yeah its a total fuckin dystopia here.

Edit: I'm going to keep going because the statement is dumber the more I think of it. This thread is literally full of situations where cops kill or injure civilians based on false impressions where they are shifting the burden of proof to the accused in the encounters. Cops roll up on Tamir Rice and it's essentially his job to prove he doesn't have a gun in less than 2 seconds. His loving life is at stake.

Oh, but don't make cops accountable for their jobs, thay would be a hosed up dystopia

Hail Mr. Satan! fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 18, 2015

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dead Reckoning posted:

If enough people say it, there's probably a reason so many people say it. That might be a vast conspiracy waiting to be uncovered, or it might because they're right. Either way, you should probably check up on that. How dystopian.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

botany posted:

If enough people say it, there's probably a reason so many people say it. That might be a vast conspiracy waiting to be uncovered, or it might because they're right. Either way, you should probably check up on that. How dystopian.

Ugh, that almost sounds like journalism. 'Checking on complaints to verify if they're warranted or just white noise' UGH

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

No, its more "if enough people say it, maybe the police should investigate!"

A Fancy Bloke posted:

The comedy is that in my office job, if I were accused of misconduct, my employer would still likely do more of an investigation than the cops do when one of their own receives a complaint. And I work at an at - will state.

Yeah its a total fuckin dystopia here.

botany posted:

RareAcumen posted:

Ugh, that almost sounds like journalism. 'Checking on complaints to verify if they're warranted or just white noise' UGH
Is this some sort of weird gaslighting attempt, or are you all just too lazy to read? DARPA was specifically in favor of disciplining officers based on un-sworn complaints with no supporting evidence. I'm not misrepresenting him, that's what he said and then doubled down on it. Watermelon City said that we should draw conclusions based on the number of times something is alleged, irrespective of its merit. That is literally a "if enough people say it, it's probably true" argument. No one has a problem with the police investigating a complaint, sworn or un-sworn. However, given the nature of things like "failure to provide service," it's likely that there is no evidence outside of the complainant's allegation. I think people shouldn't be punished based on he-said/she-said statements, particularly if the accuser isn't willing to swear to the truthfulness of their statements.

Raerlynn posted:

I'll admit that I've only worked in the public sector, but in every single case I saw, and in every briefing I had on employee discipline, it was made clear that taking action against an employee required documentation of misbehavior, which definitely did not include un-sworn statements. If someone wanted to file an EO complaint, they had to type out and sign a statement, and so did any witnesses, and the accused had an opportunity to respond & a right to appeal. In most cases, a complaint with no supporting witnesses or evidence was insufficient. Which is the way it should be.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
lol DR you literally linked to me using the word "investigate"

Also do you know what a sworn statement is? You seem to think it's a signed letter or something.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Is this some sort of weird gaslighting attempt, or are you all just too lazy to read? DARPA was specifically in favor of disciplining officers based on un-sworn complaints with no supporting evidence. I'm not misrepresenting him, that's what he said and then doubled down on it. Watermelon City said that we should draw conclusions based on the number of times something is alleged, irrespective of its merit. That is literally a "if enough people say it, it's probably true" argument. No one has a problem with the police investigating a complaint, sworn or un-sworn. However, given the nature of things like "failure to provide service," it's likely that there is no evidence outside of the complainant's allegation. I think people shouldn't be punished based on he-said/she-said statements, particularly if the accuser isn't willing to swear to the truthfulness of their statements.
I'll admit that I've only worked in the public sector, but in every single case I saw, and in every briefing I had on employee discipline, it was made clear that taking action against an employee required documentation of misbehavior, which definitely did not include un-sworn statements. If someone wanted to file an EO complaint, they had to type out and sign a statement, and so did any witnesses, and the accused had an opportunity to respond & a right to appeal. In most cases, a complaint with no supporting witnesses or evidence was insufficient. Which is the way it should be.

Maybe because we were replying to the things you had said?

Dead Reckoning posted:

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think its reasonable to exclude allegations a person has been cleared of from a new investigation, and he-said she-said cases are always going to be difficult to prove.

It appears that most of these allegations are being dropped because the complainant doesn't follow through, or because there isn't enough evidence to substantiate them, rather than because they're being improperly dismissed.

Those are statements about how we should drop investigations, by you, that I were responding to. If you want to backpedal and declare you disagree with what you earlier said, great. But you honestly should be ashamed to pretend to cal us "gaslighting" because you want to quote our comments out of context and pretend we were responding to a different poster. Arguing in good faith my rear end.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Look if tamir rice didn't want to die he should have had a notarized statement in triplicate sent to the PD office before he went out to play in the park.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DARPA posted:

lol DR you literally linked to me using the word "investigate"
I asked, "[Should the department] punish officers on the basis of unsworn statements?" You replied, "I'd say Yes? ... It's an administrative punishment by their employer." You then provided an example of an officer being suspended without pay for a week because of an un-sworn statement. Are you walking that back now?

DARPA posted:

Also do you know what a sworn statement is? You seem to think it's a signed letter or something.
That was literally how we took them in the Air Force. If it was part of an investigation, we used the AF form 1168, which is basically, "I am this person, this is my statement, sign here" (plus an Article 31 acknowledgement if you were accused.)

Trabisnikof posted:

Those are statements about how we should drop investigations, by you, that I were responding to. If you want to backpedal and declare you disagree with what you earlier said, great. But you honestly should be ashamed to pretend to cal us "gaslighting" because you want to quote our comments out of context and pretend we were responding to a different poster. Arguing in good faith my rear end.
You're misinterpreting what I said. In each of those cases, I'm saying that a disciplinary case or complaint should be dropped if the only evidence the investigation comes up with is an unsworn statement. That's why I referred to "cases." If you have a complaint that the accuser refuses to sign and no other witnesses, what else should the investigators do?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

If you have a complaint that the accuser refuses to sign and no other witnesses, what else should the investigators do?

Investigate the officers who were present when the citizen "refused" to sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're misinterpreting what I said. In each of those cases, I'm saying that a disciplinary case or complaint should be dropped if the only evidence the investigation comes up with is an unsworn statement. That's why I referred to "cases." If you have a complaint that the accuser refuses to sign and no other witnesses, what else should the investigators do?

Then you're ignoring the original context of all this, which I've quoted at least once already:

quote:

Nearly 60 percent of all the complaints were thrown out without being fully investigated because the alleged victims failed to sign required affidavits. What's more, investigators won't consider an officer's complaint history as part of the investigation, and many of the cases come down to the word of the officer versus the accuser.

The "only evidence the investigation comes up with is an unsworn statement" is because the investigation in 60% of cases didn't actually occur.

Also, it is amazing that you're relying on the "if the officers can't get a sworn statement from a victim investigations are impossible!" as if they aren't loving police investigators as their job.

• Locked thread