Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

therobotking posted:

As a brit i find the american cinema experience very strange (Assuming youre in america of course, I hear it alot from them). Nobody claps or cheers in the cinema here. If you do anything but laugh you'll get very disapproving looks and maybe even a tut. You wouldn't applaud a nice painting or a song on the radio right? Whats the appeal in clapping at a movie screen?

I just got back from seeing TFA for a second time. I'm a brit, in London, and both times I saw it the film received applause from the audience at the end. Personally I think it was just a collective expression of relief from everyone that the film was good. There was also some cheers at the BBFC thing that comes up before the film, but no in-movie cheers or claps.

Some thoughts from my second viewing:
Going on from some things said earlier in the thread I don't think it's odd that there were no Y-wings in the Resistance fleet as those things were already falling apart at the time of the OT. It is odd however that the Resistance's "fleet" consists of only one X-wing squadron. You'd think they'd be able to muster up some old A-wings, maybe a B-wing or two? I'd be interested to see what was left on the cutting room floor in the interest of time as it is very strange that the X-wings all make it down to the surface without encountering any of those new Star Destroyers in orbit.
I was spoiled as to Han's fate even before my first viewing but that didn't diminish the power of that scene between him and Kylo either time.
Snoke is Sidious surely? Old, human-ish, severely disfigured and the supremo Dark-side guy. Either that or he's Plagueis and been retconned into a human because I can't quite see how he fits into Star Wars otherwise.
Kylo Ren is a great bad guy, one of the best Star Wars has produced. Petulant, not as powerful as he would like, angry and emotional and Adam Driver's performance makes for an electric presence. I think we can all see an eventual redemption of some kind for him coming down the line in the next two movies but even suspecting that I can't wait to see more of him.
The system that Starkiller destroyed was named the Hylesian system (I think?) so probably not Coruscant but obviously a significant Republic world and fleet (maybe even the new seat of the Senate? (Though I thought that was Chandrila)

Also, I saw a ways back in the thread people were concerned about the film being interesting from a plot and narrative perspective but having no thematic or symbolic depth. I'm no film student so I probably can't articulate this well but I do think that opinion is wrong:
Obviously the film owes a lot to a New Hope both in terms of the overarching plot but also in certain shots (silhouetted moisture farms against a sunset on Jakku etc.) and in numerous call backs. I don't think this is bad; people looking for something brand new probably shouldn't look for it in a main Star Wars film (which all tie-in together thematically so it makes sense for a new generation of heroes to have their own 'New Hope'), but rather look for that in the upcoming Anthology films. As this is the start of a new trilogy it will be hard to note much symbolism and themes until we can view the trilogy in full. And really it needs someone with a keener eye than me to spot all the good stuff but I did take note of a couple of things: Rey's lineage is never revealed in the film and I assume it will come in later on but in TFA she is an orphan looking for a family ("belonging is ahead" as Maz puts it) and in the climactic battle she fights against someone who had that family and belonging but rejected it utterly. Also Rey leaves a scar on Kylo's face in the same place that Han touched it as he died etc, so I think there is a thematic and symbolic depth to the film even if it is a little heavy-handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

Sorry but if you don't like the lightsaber fights in the prequels you simply hate fun. There is a lot of poo poo you can hate in those films, especially Hayden Christensen, but those fights are just fun and the "higher" art form of fighting reflects the fact that the Jedi are at their peak.

Vader in the OT fights with short, powerful movements because he is no longer agile because he is mostly cybernetic.

The lightsaber fights in the prequels looked like I was watching a video game cutscene, that somehow got rid of the press X not to die QTE prompts. Something the OT and this new movie does well is have the action scenes feel like they have weight to them.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Cnut the Great posted:

I think people are overestimating how visually interesting a pure Force battle would actually be.
It would end up looking as silly as Gandalf vs Saruman.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The most dangerous lightsaber move:

e:

Electromax fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 17, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

halwain posted:

Jesus what is it with people posting spoilers and fake spoilers everywhere. You cant even go into threads in the games forum without the risk of them.

BillBear posted:

Yeah some fucktards are mass inviting people to steam groups named after SW spoilers. They are getting creative.
Isn't there some bunch of people butthurt over the EU ending that threatened to mass-release spoilers to try and blackmail Disney? Might be those people. Fuckin' nerds.

Anyway - movie was awesome. The new cast are all great, the old cast have still got it, and I can't wait to see where they go from here.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Slugworth posted:

It would end up looking as silly as Gandalf vs Saruman.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yvonmukluk posted:

Isn't there some bunch of people butthurt over the EU ending that threatened to mass-release spoilers to try and blackmail Disney? Might be those people. Fuckin' nerds.

I'm guessing there are some people who genuinely are upset, but I bet the majority of it are doing it simply to piss people off under a stupid, nonsensical cause.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

When they finally finish that high five, mountains will crumble.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

For sure; what we're dealing with here is a 'subject supposed to enjoy' - we get vicarious enjoyment from watching the Other (in this case, 'the audience') enjoy. This is the same role filled by the Rotten Tomatoes critics, the counters beneath youtube videos that display the ratio of thumbs-ups and thumbs-downs, and "I liked it" posts in Cinema Discusso.

Counterintuitively, people do not press the 'like' button in order to register their enjoyment, but press the 'like' button in order to begin enjoying.

Honestly I figured you made that last post just to be a butt about your avatar.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Clapping at a film is probably attributable to the effects of social media, and the 'like' stuff on facebook or whatever. Where, in a live performance, you're at least theoretically clapping for the performers, clapping at a theater is unambiguously directed at the other moviegoers in a way that allows you to 'upvote' the film. This serves basically the same function as with Rotten Tomatoes Dot Com - which is, of course, named for the practice of jeering at live performers, but actually just serves to aggregate and amplify audience reactions and then deliver them back to that same audience.

You could achieve the same results by ending each screening with the announcement of a percentage. Not even necessarily a percentage derived from any particular data.

People have been clapping at movies forever dude. I remember them clapping for Star Wars '97.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

porfiria posted:

People have been clapping at movies forever dude. I remember them clapping for Star Wars '97.

He's not making an actual argument he just wanted to post something after someone mentioned his avatar.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

ImpAtom posted:

He's not making an actual argument he just wanted to post something after someone mentioned his avatar.

I thought it seemed badly sourced. I think it's been changed back? I'm just seeing Deus Ex now.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

A mod restored his old avatar. Hopefully.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

porfiria posted:

The causality is backwards, but his point that "clapping at a theater is unambiguously directed at the other moviegoers" is still interesting when compared with social media "likes". I don't agree with his conclusions but it isn't completely insane to compare/contrast the two phenomena.

ImpAtom posted:

So he needed an excuse to post in a thread? This seems like faulty conjecture meant to make him look like an rear end in a top hat for spoiling people (probably the same logic the dumbass who bought the title; he is the jerk if he continues to post and spoil people)

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Robutt posted:

I just got back from seeing TFA for a second time. I'm a brit, in London, and both times I saw it the film received applause from the audience at the end. Personally I think it was just a collective expression of relief from everyone that the film was good. There was also some cheers at the BBFC thing that comes up before the film, but no in-movie cheers or claps.

Some thoughts from my second viewing:
Kylo Ren is a great bad guy, one of the best Star Wars has produced. Petulant, not as powerful as he would like, angry and emotional and Adam Driver's performance makes for an electric presence. I think we can all see an eventual redemption of some kind for him coming down the line in the next two movies but even suspecting that I can't wait to see more of him.

quote:

Rey's lineage is never revealed in the film and I assume it will come in later on but in TFA she is an orphan looking for a family ("belonging is ahead" as Maz puts it) and in the climactic battle she fights against someone who had that family and belonging but rejected it utterly. Also Rey leaves a scar on Kylo's face in the same place that Han touched it as he died etc, so I think there is a thematic and symbolic depth to the film even if it is a little heavy-handed.

After reading this post and reflecting a bit more, I feel a little bit more positive about the film in general. Maybe it'll grown on me if I give it a second viewing later. But I really hope they don't end the saga with Kylo Ren redeeming himself by killing Snoke or something, as there is enough parallels in this one film to cover the whole new triology. I would like something that I can't predict from start to finish before going into the cinema

I really like that last part, and I think it'd be great they went the non-obvious route, and have Rey be the daughter of one of the Jedi students taught by Luke and massacred by Kylo or something, meaning that he killed both her literal father and surrogate father in Han, reversing the iconic ECB moment. Then obviously Finn and Poe and Luke and Leia and everyone can become her 'family' and continue the theme of family without doing the very clihe and very obvious by just making her Luke's abandoned daughter.

One thing I did like that they managed to resist doing was have Rey cut of Kylo's hand, because for a moment at the end I thought she'd done just that and I rolled my eyes

Weasling Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 18, 2015

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Guy A. Person posted:

The causality is backwards, but his point that "clapping at a theater is unambiguously directed at the other moviegoers" is still interesting when compared with social media "likes". I don't agree with his conclusions but it isn't completely insane to compare/contrast the two phenomena.

Well duh, people behave differently in groups; it's fun to laugh or gasp together. That's human nature, not facebook.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004
The only thing that would've made this movie better is if one of the planets that got blown up was the Gungan homeworld. May have changed the emotional impact of that scene though

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Weasling Weasel posted:

I really like that last part, and I think it'd be great they went the non-obvious route, and have Rey be the daughter of one of the Jedi students taught by Luke and massacred by Kylo or something, meaning that he killed both her literal father and surrogate father in Han, reversing the iconic ECB moment. Then obviously Finn and Poe and Luke and Leia and everyone can become her 'family' and continue the theme of family without doing the very clihe and very obvious by just making her Luke's abandoned daughter.

Uh Regarding Rey. I thought it was explicit. I'd have to check the lines again, but the lightsaber is "your fathers and his father before that" thing for Rey, and i swear they say it was Luke's saber as well. And that's why Ben wanted the saber as well since he's obsessed with his grandfather. Also R2 only waking up when Rey got to the Resistance base - he was waking for Luke or his daughter. Correct me if I misinterpreted things.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Movie good. Had a really good time and I'm kinda hyped about Stars War now, guys!

Kylo Ren kind of slaps the prequels in the face with well he pulls off "conflicted rear end in a top hat teenager" that's actually drat fun to watch. The end laser sword fight was great, no overdramatic choreography, just Ren flinging his sword around desperately trying to kill poo poo.

That said, the middle act is a bit sloppy. The tentacle monster interlude on Solo's freighter or whatever is very reminiscent of Kirk running away from the thing on the ice planet in Star Trek 09. Both seem like a distraction from the main plot, with a CGI monster that's not nearly as scary or cool as it should be. The short standoff with the gangster guys before that also felt clumsy though I can't really explain why.

TURTLE SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 18, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
And we're through Return of the Jedi. Anakin's Ghost being Hayden got a huge laugh/boo combo.

The hype is too real. The next film I'll be watching, in 91 minutes, is Episode VII.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

It's not about establishing causality. I am talking about the phenomenon as it appears today, where applause tends to accompany films with established fanbases - be it Harry Potter or Les Mis.

However, it's no wonder that you encountered this phenomenon at a Star Wars film at the same time that the Internet was in an early stage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's not about establishing causality. I am talking about the phenomenon as it appears today, where applause tends to accompany films with established fanbases - be it Harry Potter or Les Mis.

However, it's no wonder that you encountered this phenomenon at a Star Wars film at the same time that the Internet was in an early stage.

People clap at films they enjoy regardless of if those films have an established fanbase or not. As do they yell out things at the screen, express shock or emotion at sudden events, and other such things. This has been a thing since before the internet existed in any meaningful form and was a cliche before most of us were born.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Incidentally; the theater I am at is the record attendance holder for AMCs for this marathon.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

When I saw Star Wars people clapped at the end and laughed at jokes. No yelling, "hollering" or applause during the actual film.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

jivjov posted:

The hype is too real. The next film I'll be watching, in 91 minutes, is Episode VII.

In my mind it's the 2nd best movie of the franchise. 1st most fun. Enjoy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

cargohills posted:

When I saw Star Wars people clapped at the end and laughed at jokes. No yelling, "hollering" or applause during the actual film.

When people bring up hollering in CD I just assume they are dogwhistling.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Just finished Jedi.
http://youtu.be/NeK10F6iA8E

But not really, I'm mad hype ya'll!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

cargohills posted:

My viewing was pretty much the same, although there were a few cheers at the Lucasfilm logo and STAR WARS title.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Also the 20th century fox music played for all six movies which I wasn't expecting.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Recoome posted:

I wouldn't contest the choreography, but it just have anything behind it. It feels artificial. Like who cares?

In Ep 5, Luke is confronting the guy who killed his friend and mentor, he's a bad guy who's really good at being bad, and we have a really inexperienced dude who can use the force who defied his current master to save his friends.

This is only a spoiler-lite, doesn't actually contain plot spoilers but pureists may want to not mouse over.
I liked the saber scenes in Ep 7, firstly because while the fights were extremely well choreographed, it was done in a way which felt more natural, raw, and real. The fight didn't feel forced, didn't go longer than it needed to, and was a good way to conclude a pretty emotionally charged part of the movie

Like why did Qui-Gon have to die? Obi-Wan didn't really fly off the rails all that much, I would've expected flying off the rails to be closer to what Luke did to Vader (which mirrored how Vader attacked at the end of Ep 5). In Ep 2, Anakin had to lose his hand somehow but I can't help but think that they got that far into the fight scene and was like "poo poo he needs to lose a hand" or something.

Dont forget the infamous "Give up! I have the higher ground!" line. Like these dudes have been basically completely even matched for 15 minutes, fighting in a loving river of lava like it aint no thing, and you choose that as the catalyst that gives Obi Wan the upper hand? come on

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

babypolis posted:

Dont forget the infamous "Give up! I have the higher ground!" line. Like these dudes have been basically completely even matched for 15 minutes, fighting in a loving river of lava like it aint no thing, and you choose that as the catalyst that gives Obi Wan the upper hand? come on

Homeboy is talking about the moral high ground.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

BillBear posted:

Even after Pinkett's review pointing how emotionless the prequel fights are, I still find Maul's fight really badass, the amazing score certainly helped.

That fight is good because it has the emotional impact of Qui Gon dying, and the implicit understanding that if you were struggling 2v1 then 1v1 Darth Maul is going to gently caress your poo poo up really drives up the tension. They really drive it home with the force barrier gimmick too, Obi looking scared as gently caress while Darth Maul looks like a caged animal

Its by far the best part of that godawful movie

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Robutt posted:

Snoke is Sidious surely? Old, human-ish, severely disfigured and the supremo Dark-side guy. Either that or he's Plagueis and been retconned into a human because I can't quite see how he fits into Star Wars otherwise.

Listen to the soundtracks. Palpatine's Teachings on RoTS where's he's telling Anakin about Plagueis and Snoake on the TFA soundtrack, it's almost the same theme. My favorite off the wall theory I've seen so far is that Snoake is actually a Sith Holocron.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Do you think they will pull a Wizard of Oz and he'll turn out to be like a little ant man? There has to be some gimmick to him being a giant hologram.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

babypolis posted:

They really drive it home with the force barrier gimmick too, Obi looking scared as gently caress while Darth Maul looks like a caged animal

I agree with this. And Qui-Gon taking the time to meditate. The barriers might have been nonsensical but they worked from a dramatic standpoint.

On the topic of Maul, he was a zero in the character department, really just an animal, but damned if he wasn't also the most visually stunning character in all seven films, to me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MrMojok posted:

I agree with this. And Qui-Gon taking the time to meditate. The barriers might have been nonsensical but they worked from a dramatic standpoint.

On the topic of Maul, he was a zero in the character department, really just an animal, but damned if he wasn't also the most visually stunning character in all seven films, to me.

Love the little scene where he taps the lightsaber against the energy barrier like he is just 100% raring to go.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

MrMojok posted:

It suffers from the same problem as the other fights in the prequels were it seems they had no idea how to end them. I guess they were going for a cat playing with his prey thing, Darth Maul basically being an animal and all that, but it just makes him look dumb as hell and directly contradicts the Anakin vs Obi fight later on. It could have been a nice little callback with Obi Wan once again using his guile to defeat a superior but overconfident foe. Instead its like an anti-callback

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CJ posted:

Do you think they will pull a Wizard of Oz and he'll turn out to be like a little ant man? There has to be some gimmick to him being a giant hologram.

Snoke talk.
To be fair, before ROTJ, you could have said the same thing about the Emperor.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Weasling Weasel posted:

I'd really like this idea or something similar to be the case. I think it would be more powerful for the films and franchise for the message regarding Rey's character to be something about finding a loving adoptive family in the new and old Star Wars characters instead of just "oh by the way she's a Skywalker too!" That would add a layer of surprise to the films which would be appreciated as well. They could also surprise by having Kylo never turn back even a little to the light and go full Dark Side forever.

But I mean who are we kidding? This is Star Wars and I'd say there's a 9/10 chance Rey is a Skywalker and the big final act plot point of episode IX is Ben Solo's redemption and defeat of Snoke.

Iron Tusk posted:

Listen to the soundtracks. Palpatine's Teachings on RoTS where's he's telling Anakin about Plagueis and Snoake on the TFA soundtrack, it's almost the same theme. My favorite off the wall theory I've seen so far is that Snoake is actually a Sith Holocron.

Ooh that's juicy! Some ancient rear end in a top hat Sith Lord in program form - Sith Holocron is a fun idea! I did think the way they portrayed Snoke to be a little odd. A huge hologram with his face clearly shown (if a little shadowed). If he was Palpatine I suppose he'd have a hood up but the reason why I find it hard to believe he's a brand new character is just his appearance. Having the big new bad guy be what looks to be an extremely old and powerful Sith equivalent and be completely unknown to the galaxy until after ROTJ just seems too strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

thrawn527 posted:

Snoke talk.
To be fair, before ROTJ, you could have said the same thing about the Emperor.

That just seems like the equivalent of throwing up the Skype call on the big TV. The Snoke thing has him in a giant room and you can't tell it's a hologram at first so you think he's a big guy.

• Locked thread