Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Weird that Han didn't get any kind of memorial/eulogy but Chewie being all :( was enough heartbreak for one movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

El Perkele posted:

The part where Chewie apparently blows himself up as a big gently caress You was surprising and great and fit his character pretty well. Obviously completely out of the tone but if I expected one Star Wars character just go all Samson it would have been Chewie.

Too bad he just had to survive. On the other hand he seemed to have this weird thing called "attempt at characterization" going on so vOv

I was very sad when I thought he had blown himself up. Seeing him on the Falcon at the end was a huge relief

Cat Machine posted:

Nien Nunb (was it him?!) looked a little off but yeah I loved all the aliens. I could done with a few more classic races like the Rodians or Duros, but still great.

Really? I thought he looked really cool. The only one I thought was off was the green guy that was sitting with the First Order lady spy. That and Maz looked kinda cartoony but her voice acting sold the character

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Cat Machine posted:

I will say that the Finalizer escape sequence did more to make me believe they would end up as good buds than the whole three films Lucas had to establish Anakin and Obi Wan.

It was a great start to a friendship, and it did make me want to see them as the best buds in the galaxy. But still felt weird that they went from just meeting to acting like long lost reunited best friends. I liked Poe though, would like to see more of him out of a cockpit.

Also, I think Carrie Fisher was the most disappointing of anyone in the cast. Her voice alone was incredibly grating to me. But otherwise I felt like she missed the mark in an otherwise really great performing cast.

I am keen to see it again and take in a bit more of Ren's scenes. There was a lot more to him than I thought they'd add, even after knowing spoilers.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

thepokey posted:

It was a great start to a friendship, and it did make me want to see them as the best buds in the galaxy. But still felt weird that they went from just meeting to acting like long lost reunited best friends. I liked Poe though, would like to see more of him out of a cockpit.

Also, I think Carrie Fisher was the most disappointing of anyone in the cast. Her voice alone was incredibly grating to me. But otherwise I felt like she missed the mark in an otherwise really great performing cast.

I am keen to see it again and take in a bit more of Ren's scenes. There was a lot more to him than I thought they'd add, even after knowing spoilers.

They saved each other from certain death and each one thought the other was dead. It was a bit too on the nose but certainly believable

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

movie was great in every department except for the main story, which was only limited by the fact that it rehashed the death star plot from ANH. still perfect adequate, just could have been more original. i'm extremely excited for episode 8 since rian johnson probably is going to have some wriggle room with the middle chapter. hopefully he'll focus it on a character driven story, because that was by far the most exciting and original part of TFA. the best shot in this movie though was the tie fighters flying in the sunset for all of 5 seconds, entirely because it looked exactly like something out of apocalypse now

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 17, 2015

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So the consensus seems to be that it's a faster-paced (almost rushed) retelling of Ep IV, adding more action but lacking the mythic aspects of the original except where it copies them from Lucas. Fair description?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Payndz posted:

So the consensus seems to be that it's a faster-paced (almost rushed) retelling of Ep IV, adding more action but lacking the mythic aspects of the original except where it copies them from Lucas. Fair description?

it's more like a faster paced action movie that combines parts of the main stories of all the original trilogy without really adding anything new, driven primarily by really strong and interesting main characters.

infact it's worth watching for the main characters over the story, i'd say, as half the movie is more or less centered on them and their relationship with eachother plus the original cast

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 17, 2015

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

ThePutty posted:

it's more like a faster paced action movie that combines parts of the main stories of all the original trilogy without really adding anything new, driven primarily by really strong and interesting main characters.

infact it's worth watching for the main characters over the story, i'd say, as half the movie is more or less centered on them and their relationship with eachother plus the original cast

I think that's part of the gripe I have. That it was so fast paced and we saw these great characters but they didn't really have any time to sit down and interact with each other. They were certainly together but they were always doing things together..running, shooting, space battle etc. In ANH you had Obi Wan and Luke talking in Obi Wan's house, the longer scenes on the Falcon etc. By even the half way point they were like life long friends and seemed to feel so much for each other when in reality they'd been together in action sequences for a couple of hours? I totally get adversity and all that brings people together, heightened emotions etc but I guess I just couldn't help but feel like they were forcing these relationships, which I do want to see, but done better.

I guess all things considered the fact that's my biggest gripe is actually a good thing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I actually think Kylo Ren ended up being the most interesting character for me. He's petty and petulant but I believe it when he says he feels like he's being torn apart.

Aside from that the only moment that didn't land was the final scene, and that's because it holds a few of those shots a little too long.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.
The more you think about the movie the more the weak points start to pop up. Why is it so very derivative? Why does it waste it strengths - the characters - in unnecessary and safe action? Who the hell came up with the pacing? Why should we care about the set-up? Why does it play it so safe when there's so obviously room for being much more innovative while still invoking the same feelings as it does?

I felt satisfied when I left the theater yesterday, but today I am no more giving The Force Awakens a free pass because "the strengths outweigh the weaknesses". The fact that the movie manages to hide it's mistakes, lack of discipline and design-by-committee by the virtue of being eye candy, nostalgia and some strong points until you start really think about it is kinda revealing. Even weirder, TFA makes me grudingly give more merit to prequel trilogy. Compared to TFA, the prequels treaded new ground and were not just nostalgia trips, even though they were completely botched in execution. It's infuriating, because TFA could have been so much better. Maybe the sequel is better? Or maybe one of the million knock-offs? Or maybe not?

But who expected anything else from 2015 Star Wars sequel? I was entertained, and so will be you who watch this movie, but I warn you, the welcome might wear off fast.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

I actually think Kylo Ren ended up being the most interesting character for me. He's petty and petulant but I believe it when he says he feels like he's being torn apart.

Same for me. I loved the contrast between when he had his mask on to mask off. When he had his mask on it was like he was playing dress up. He was cocky, intimidating, confident. Yet when he took it off he suffered his biggest failures such as with mind reading Rey, losing out to the dark side with Han, and losing his duel with Rey. He also was an emotional wreck for the most part with it off (not being confused with simply petulant tantrums when he had it on). I think it helped show the duality to him and the fact he seems seduced with the idea that he has this role to play to live up to Vader.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

El Perkele posted:

The more you think about the movie the more the weak points start to pop up. Why is it so very derivative? Why does it waste it strengths - the characters - in unnecessary and safe action? Who the hell came up with the pacing? Why should we care about the set-up? Why does it play it so safe when there's so obviously room for being much more innovative while still invoking the same feelings as it does?

I felt satisfied when I left the theater yesterday, but today I am no more giving The Force Awakens a free pass because "the strengths outweigh the weaknesses". The fact that the movie manages to hide it's mistakes, lack of discipline and design-by-committee by the virtue of being eye candy, nostalgia and some strong points until you start really think about it is kinda revealing. Even weirder, TFA makes me grudingly give more merit to prequel trilogy. Compared to TFA, the prequels treaded new ground and were not just nostalgia trips, even though they were completely botched in execution. It's infuriating, because TFA could have been so much better. Maybe the sequel is better? Or maybe one of the million knock-offs? Or maybe not?

But who expected anything else from 2015 Star Wars sequel? I was entertained, and so will be you who watch this movie, but I warn you, the welcome might wear off fast.

I feel like there's parts you're overstating. It got me with Finn and Rey right off the bat, and I think their story is propulsive and it works well.

I agree on the nostalgia stuff. The movie is essentially a remake of NEW HOPE and I think the reason for that is to do right by Star Wars fans and to say yeah just ignore the prequels, look at all the stuff you liked the first time around. I don't even think it's cynical, more just that JJ Abrams started over from scratch and Disney wouldn't change their release date, so he went for an easy story while really just introducing these new characters. All of whom I thought were great actually.

I think that when the next one comes out then TFA will probably be knocked down a grade.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

I feel like there's parts you're overstating. It got me with Finn and Rey right off the bat, and I think their story is propulsive and it works well.

I agree on the nostalgia stuff. The movie is essentially a remake of NEW HOPE and I think the reason for that is to do right by Star Wars fans and to say yeah just ignore the prequels, look at all the stuff you liked the first time around. I don't even think it's cynical, more just that JJ Abrams started over from scratch and Disney wouldn't change their release date, so he went for an easy story while really just introducing these new characters. All of whom I thought were great actually.

I think that when the next one comes out then TFA will probably be knocked down a grade.

I very much liked Finn and Ray. Their story and characters are just fine and they are the best parts of the movie. I just felt they were not utilized to their full potential, and instead we got... X-wings shooting down TIEs in a trench run to blow up a death star. Yay, we have only seen this twice in the OT?

Original Star Wars really weren't that original - they were based on old WW2 flicks, campy sci-fi and samurai movies. But they did work. Based on TFA the franchise has room and capability to bring something new to the table, and by new I mean "anything that isn't self-referential rehash of the originals". I just hope the material delivers at some point. The promise is certainly there. Whether the courage is remains to be seen.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 17, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is there going to be a lead female jedi and her black boyfriend to create maximum brain damage to some fans? I hope so

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

SaltLick posted:

Is there going to be a lead female jedi and her black boyfriend to create maximum brain damage to some fans? I hope so

Yes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

El Perkele posted:

Original Star Wars really weren't that original - they were based on old WW2 flicks, campy sci-fi and samurai movies.

Have you seen any of these older movies though? Star Wars only resembles them in very broad strokes. The Hidden Fortress probably has more in common with A New Hope than other filmic influence, and that's still an incredibly different experience.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

SaltLick posted:

there p. much already is

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

thepokey posted:

I think that's part of the gripe I have. That it was so fast paced and we saw these great characters but they didn't really have any time to sit down and interact with each other. They were certainly together but they were always doing things together..running, shooting, space battle etc.

That seems to be less a function of Star Wars in particular and more a thing for movies, particularly disney action films of the last 7 or 8 years. Movies seem to take less time to slow down these days and seem to always have the characters operating at full throttle.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Raxivace posted:

Have you seen any of these older movies though? Star Wars only resembles them in very broad strokes. The Hidden Fortress probably has more in common with A New Hope than other filmic influence, and that's still an incredibly different experience.

Black-and-white WW2 films are very obvious influence (the endless garbage "fighter pilot!" movies especially), and the original drafts for Star Wars were p. much Buck Rogers. It being a tribute work was stated even by it's original creators, but with Star Wars now being much more widely remembered than the 1950s scifi schlock people now tend to forget what was the cultural basis for Star Wars. I watched some Flash Gordon stuff from late 1930s when I was a kid and oh boy, does it feel somewhat familiar!

Actually I am watching some right now and I just randomly jumped into a part where the armoured troopers of the Emperor have just captured princess. Oh no, now they crashed into a desert planet! Oh no a giant octopus attacks! hahah

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 17, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SaltLick posted:

probably. some dumbshits are posting some poo poo about how its supposed to be indoctrinating the youth on how all white men should be cuckolds or some poo poo. people are either trying to troll or really depressing sad brains.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

TheGreySpectre posted:

That seems to be less a function of Star Wars in particular and more a thing for movies, particularly disney action films of the last 7 or 8 years. Movies seem to take less time to slow down these days and seem to always have the characters operating at full throttle.

That's true, I sat through all the hunger games with housemates and from what I heard "the kids" at uni talking about, specifically with the books and their complete passion for these characters, had my expecting these really great character relationship building stories. Instead it was just so fast paced I was having trouble working out who was who let alone which two couples should be "shipped" together and just...it felt like a mess. That fast paced story telling sort of passes me by. So definitely not singling out Star Wars. But all the same I feel this movie fell victim to that, massively. Which is such a shame because as others have said here, the characters are actually the strongest part too. I found myself sitting there wanting to hear more from Rey and Finn and Poe and Kylo. Testament to the actors too I guess for really bringing those characters to life. If they got short changed on script and dialog it could have easily been a case of "well, they did the best with what they had". But instead they knocked it out of the park with what they had to work with. So I feel like all the parts are in there somewhere to really deliver something special...just needs some tinkering for Episode VIII, but my hopes are high!

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
lmao holy poo poo I just remembered that I heard somebody named their newborn Kylo a few months ago.

The dorky Star Wars parents who want to make sure their child is indoctrinated into their fandom named it after the guy who killed Han Solo.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Cat Machine posted:

Weird that Han didn't get any kind of memorial/eulogy but Chewie being all :( was enough heartbreak for one movie

He's a traitor because he left the rebellion.

I felt like the whole traitor thing from Kylo to Finn felt a bit forced. Do stormtroopers have an overriding sense of patriotism? Sounded to me like they were just brainwashed.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Bedshaped posted:

He's a traitor because he left the rebellion.

I felt like the whole traitor thing from Kylo to Finn felt a bit forced. Do stormtroopers have an overriding sense of patriotism? Sounded to me like they were just brainwashed.

from a certain point of view

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyway John Williams did some amazing work with the PT. The problem is that the scenes in which the amazing music is heard are all lousy and most importantly unmemorable. When you hear music from the OT you immediately see in your mind the binary suns, the asteroid belt, or the death star. You recall the amazing music with the amazing scenes, creating a real lasting impression. I'd put some of the pieces of music from TPM and RoTS against anything from the OT, its just that they don't stick with us as much because they basically exist in a vacuum as good music.

I'm sure there are other examples, but here's one of the best examples of Williams' score being kneecapped by editing:

What was on the soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXx2f2shqlI (Skip to ~1:15)

What was in the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgphpiO0L8

All the other movies go from the crawl, to the quiet twinkly music, and panning from the starfield shot. Going off of the soundtrack, I'd been expecting ROTS to break that mold by the crawl going straight into a gigantic dogfight. Playing with the established Star Wars 'traditions', doing something new and creative. But of course that didn't happen.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Uh I think you had a typo or two in here.

Anyway John Williams did some amazing work with the PT. The problem is that the scenes in which the amazing music is heard are all lousy and most importantly unmemorable. When you hear music from the OT you immediately see in your mind the binary suns, the asteroid belt, or the death star. You recall the amazing music with the amazing scenes, creating a real lasting impression. I'd put some of the pieces of music from TPM and RoTS against anything from the OT, its just that they don't stick with us as much because they basically exist in a vacuum as good music.

I heard people humming the Darth Maul theme in the cinema.

That's a drat good piece of music that supersedes the unremarkable cinematography.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I don't know if the Naboo parade being a remix of the Emperor's theme counts as "amazing" but it's pretty masterful trolling.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Bedshaped posted:

I heard people humming the Darth Maul theme in the cinema.

That's a drat good piece of music that supersedes the unremarkable cinematography.

I said it when I first saw TPM and I will say it now. They wasted that theme on TPM. Should have kept it for the final Obi-Wan / Anakin battle.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

I don't know if the Naboo parade being a remix of the Emperor's theme counts as "amazing" but it's pretty masterful trolling.

I had to check this out whoaaaa

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Just saw it and i think i agree with the general consensus of the thread. The film was well made and fun to watch. The characters were all really likable or at least interesting, even Harrison Ford seemed like he was having fun for once. It did a good job of setting up the new trilogy and left me excited for the next part. However, i didn't like that they couldn't go 2 seconds without an action set piece. The biggest offender was when the space octopuses got loose on the cargo ship and then grabbed Finn and took him on a wild ride. That was totally unnecessary, it felt like they were terrified of people saying there was boring exposition like the prequels or else they weren't confident enough in themselves to write dialogue people would care about. Imagine if JJ Abrams made A New Hope. 30 seconds after they get to Obi Wan's house and he starts to explain the Jedi to Luke, a Sarlacc would probably burst through the floor that they'd have to repel with their lightsabers.

Also the whole Starkiller base plot point felt tacked on, like they needed some place for the climactic battle and just thought "Eh, throw another Death Star in there". Despite it blowing up an entire star system and killing a few billion people it just felt like a nuisance that the Resistance had to send a few X-Wings to deal with. Even the First Order didn't seem too concerned with it getting destroyed.

Overall it's much like 2009 Star Trek and has the same strengths and weaknesses, but hopefully it will be more memorable from having original characters rather than the actors doing imitations.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Carrie Fisher stinks. For Episode VIII's opening scene they should just copy the Battle of Hoth and have the First Order attack the Resistance base, but have Kylo Ren kill Leia to get her out of it.

CJ fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 17, 2015

Raithe
Apr 17, 2008

Don't worry: I've got the moon covered...
Best part of the movie:

Rey: Oh my god, Han Solo, you're a war hero!
Chewie: *scoffs*

Really enjoyed the whole thing except for the three minute close up on Luke at the end.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I thought it was better than ST09. Big cash in on nostalgia but you can tell Abrams has a lot more reverence for the SW universe than ST.

edit:

Raithe posted:

Really enjoyed the whole thing except for the three minute close up on Luke at the end.

I would have been happier if that whole sequence just didn't happen. Movie began to drag on a bit.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

It was a rehash and I felt like the refrences were a bit tiring but I really loved the new characters, felt like Han Solo was cool and it was just good fun. Maybe we can have a movie without a Death Star? atleast it was really unimportant to the plot and was just an excuse to get Han and his son together.

lfield
May 10, 2008
They should have ended it on the Falcon heading off to find Luke. Or just with Luke turning around to reveal his face. No idea why they had Luke and Rey stand around awkwardly for 3 minutes before rolling credits.

Raithe
Apr 17, 2008

Don't worry: I've got the moon covered...
The scene itself was nice in my opinion, and necessary for anticipation sake. Just awkwardly long.

Luke is my least favourite character historically, but he looked pretty dope.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Bedshaped posted:

I thought it was better than ST09. Big cash in on nostalgia but you can tell Abrams has a lot more reverence for the SW universe than ST.

edit:

I would have been happier if that whole sequence just didn't happen. Movie began to drag on a bit.

Yes i think it was better than Star Trek but as i just saw the movie a couple of hours ago i don't know how i'll feel about it in a couple of years. It still had all the faults of that film though; it couldn't go 2 seconds without another action scene, check list of pop culture references (space chess and trash compactors, really?), intergalactic travel taking literally 5 seconds making the universe feel really small.

The Luke scene was obviously a demand from Disney so they could say it had Mark Hamill in it for marketing. It felt so much like a Marvel post credits teaser. The obvious way to end the film is a bit of a eulogy for Han before they get back on the Falcon and the score swells and they hit the hyperdrive to blast off to a new adventure. Of all the things they copied they could have done with copying the way they ended ESB.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Travel didn't exactly take long in the previous films either.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I am SO glad they ended the movie how they did. My worry was they were going to end it when they sat in the ship. That would meant the next movie would just be this "search for spock" filler movie. Glad they got it out of the way and the next movie can focus on more interesting things.

Every time they go to hyperspace the cut is the time needed to make that far. Not, like, a minute. Could be months, weeks, whatever.

That middle sequence with Solo and the standoff and the "Alien" section was the worst. Possibly the worst part of the entire SW series. The only thing that saves it was that it was Solo.

By the way, this movie really enforces how useful good and clear antagonists/protagonists are to a good movie.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's a better rehash than ROTJ was.

Out of the 4 movies in this series (obv ignoring the prequels) 3 end with a death star getting destroyed, at least this time the death star didn't have a gaping vulnerability and it took more than one lucky pilot to bring the whole thing down. As long as they can avoid having another death star as the big finale of the third movie I'll be pretty happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

cargohills posted:

Travel didn't exactly take long in the previous films either.

They had time to play space chess and do lightsaber training on the way from Tatooine to Alderaan.

From what I'm hearing, the quick pace might be the one thing I don't love about this movie. ANH and ESB had lots of time to breathe.

• Locked thread