Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Segmentation Fault posted:

nurse handy curie is cool and adorable but curie wants to be a human and I can't just say no to her

Curie wants to be human because she believes humans have something special that a hyper-intelligent adaptive AI doesn't, she doesn't want to be human just to be human. You should totally be able to change her mind and give her a confidence boost or whatever and tell her that her being "human" (she doesn't ever actually become human, just a very very convincing synth, which isn't the same thing) isn't going to really change anything and she should just be the best darn robot she can be! Looking forward to a mod that allows me to do this.

also lmao I don't give a poo poo about objectifying fictional characters, just amused that so many people go out of their way to make what could be an interesting companion just another boring "human".

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I'd like a mod that lets you put Curie into different robot chassis. Like an assaultron Curie would be rad as hell.

sentry bot curie, protection codsworth + let me have both at once

maybe a smaller one once we get our hands on the GECK, since I can imagine a sentry bot companion would have some issues in some interior spaces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Azhais posted:

And a Sentry Bot codsworth

His speech should be sometimes pre-empted by the default Sentry bot lines. "Well maam, I suggest w---- ENEMY DETECTED, TERMINATE"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yes and have him do his "terribly sorry" apology routine immediately after

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

LumberingTroll posted:

Why do you keep calling it that? Its always been called the GECK.

For encounter zones and npc level needs I have been using these and really like it.

Remove Rubberbanind (Free Scaling): http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3036/
This makes it so that the level scaling is not static, each zone adjusts to you when you enter it. Combined with the mod below it makes everything a challenge, but it also makes it so you can do thing in what ever order you want.

High Level Scale http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3455/
There are two versions one that makes all enemies 5 - 20 levels higher than the player, and one that makes all enemies 20 - 50 levels higher. I play with the Latter, its a challenge but with weapon balancing, and Survival Balance, I set the NPCs to do 100% damage, and the player to do 300% and I think its great, cant one shot most things unless its a stealth headshop but things are not total bullet sponges either.

These are cool but really I'm just waiting for an ASIS equivalent because I love having huge battles more than just a few burly dudes who absorb bullets like Volgin.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Curie literally one has one choice, though, which happens to be an incredibly attractive (by wasteland standards) synth that is also able to perfectly replicate a French accent despite Curie having trouble breathing without thinking about it.

Jesus that's a pretty embarassing sidequest. It's like they wanted to capitalize on Mass Effect several years too late. Curie as a kawaii French robot was at least slightly original as far as fan service goes, though.

please tell me more about how human curie is problematic because she's good-looking, in a game with characters like desdemona, glory, piper, sturges, preston, maccready...

Babe Magnet posted:

Curie wants to be human because she believes humans have something special that a hyper-intelligent adaptive AI doesn't, she doesn't want to be human just to be human. You should totally be able to change her mind and give her a confidence boost or whatever and tell her that her being "human" (she doesn't ever actually become human, just a very very convincing synth, which isn't the same thing) isn't going to really change anything and she should just be the best darn robot she can be! Looking forward to a mod that allows me to do this.

What the gently caress is the difference between "want to be human because x reason" and "want to be human just because?"

Also half the plot of this game is about synths actually being humans, just ones that are stamped out of a machine instead of ones pushed out of a womb

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 17, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

please tell me more about how human curie is problematic because she's good-looking, in a game with characters like desdemona, glory, piper, sturges, preston, maccready...

Where's the mod to make MacCready look like Kurt Russell from The Thing?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I want a mod that makes the projecting posters in this thread get over their insecurities

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Those are all pretty bad dude, but my point was that Bethesda decided, for no real apparent reason, that having a French sounding Robot might be a little too much for people so made her into yet another attractive human (practically) because anything neat and original and kind of fun is anathema.

Given that synths aren't actually human and even the Institute recognizes that the elements that make them human (i.e. free will, the ability to think for themselves) are actually a programming defect that they're trying to wipe out even the actual premise of the quest (curie wants to be a human) is flawed.

Things don't have to be plausible, they just have to be consistent, which the entire Curie into a synth body thing isn't.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I want a mod that makes the projecting posters in this thread get over their insecurities
i'll have you know that the weapon module system is Wrong and Bad and massively disorganized to the point of absurdity plus I'm not even sure anyone making them realized what the values they put in were for

+100% weight modifier on a short barrel default component, oh baby

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Codsworth would never be down for swapping into inferior Robco Bots. Maybe a Mr.Gutsy or Robobrain.

Codsworth posted:

General Atomics 4 Lyfe!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Those are all pretty bad dude, but my point was that Bethesda decided, for no real apparent reason, that having a French sounding Robot might be a little too much for people so made her into yet another attractive human (practically) because anything neat and original and kind of fun is anathema.

Given that synths aren't actually human and even the Institute recognizes that the elements that make them human (i.e. free will, the ability to think for themselves) are actually a programming defect that they're trying to wipe out even the actual premise of the quest (curie wants to be a human) is flawed.

Things don't have to be plausible, they just have to be consistent, which the entire Curie into a synth body thing isn't.

Arguing that synths aren't actually human is like arguing that sparkling wine that isn't from a certain region in France isn't actually champagne. It looks like a human, walks like a human, talks like a human, it's a human. Also, whether or not humanesque qualities of synths are an accident is completely irrelevant.

IMO you just seem really bent on disliking human Curie for some really weird reason.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

your pet robot reveals himself to have gone insane within the first minute of actually starting the game, even

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

IMO you just seem really bent on disliking human Curie for some really weird reason.

Synth Curie sucks just by principle of robot Curie being way better, not to mention like a bazillion times more useful :colbert:

Also pro-drugs Cait > anti-drugs Cait but that's obvious cause hahaha I'm not going to stop slamming Psycho and Jet for anyone, girl

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Arguing that synths aren't actually human is like arguing that sparkling wine that isn't from a certain region in France isn't actually champagne. It looks like a human, walks like a human, talks like a human, it's a human. Whether or not humanesque qualities of synths are an accident is completely irrelevant.

I guess the reason that stuff like this is never really explored as the complex thing it can be is that people don't want to think of the implications and just opt for the easiest explanation.

Bethesda, for once, actually tried to make the entire thing seem more complex by cribbing some of the ideas from old-school Sci-Fi in terms of what exactly can be constituted as human and it's all wasted because "They look, sound and act human, they must be human"

I guess that question died with Asimov and his ilk.

Also yes, Curie as a robot was way better because it's at least an interesting character rather than It being just another female companion.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
THe thing to remember is its mentioned more than once that a living synth is completely indistinguishable from a living human, its only when they are dead that they can be positively identified, which implies they are pretty close to human.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Ddraig posted:

I guess the reason that stuff like this is never really explored as the complex thing it can be is that people don't want to think of the implications and just opt for the easiest explanation.

Bethesda, for once, actually tried to make the entire thing seem more complex by cribbing some of the ideas from old-school Sci-Fi in terms of what exactly can be constituted as human and it's all wasted because "They look, sound and act human, they must be human"

I guess that question died with Asimov and his ilk.

Also yes, Curie as a robot was way better because it's at least an interesting character rather than It being just another female companion.

its pretty easy to come to the conclusion that sentient beings deserve autonomy and sovereignty when you have a properly-working moral compass

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Sentrybot sounds cool but if I think about it, I can just see it being so goddamned terrible. Sentrybots are enormous, they can't fit through some doorways, can't get around them in narrow corridors, it'd just be awful.

Unless maybe you scaled them down that might be adorable.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The synth thing is dumb because they are literally human clones with a chip to mind control them. Its not a debate they are human, they are just made in a lab and have mind control devices in their heads.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

its pretty easy to come to the conclusion that sentient beings deserve autonomy and sovereignty when you have a properly-working moral compass

Truly sentient beings also don't tend to have a built-in killswitch that rests them to their factory default, which synths do.

This alone was sort of a big indicator that despite them being a near-accurate approximation of a human, they lack the true autonomy that humans actually do. Which could have also been an interesting take on the nature of free will, but Bethesda wasn't actually willing to go that far presumably because people weren't willing to meet them half-way.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Mr Tastee posted:

I see. Thanks for the links. Definitely going to have to wait until the GECK to work on this. It looks like the ones that currently exist are fairly simple, and the companion I plan on making I want to make fairly similar to the companions that are in the base game. Still, it should give me a general idea of how to code mods. Also, do you think it would be helpful to study mod files for other Bethesda games, or do you think it will be too different?

I really want to make The Final Pam a companion. I also want this to be more than "I have an idea", so I want to actually figure out how to program it.

Actually, get the Diane mod, follow the instructions to make her a companion, then Pam her with "showlooksmenu"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Truly sentient beings also don't tend to have a built-in killswitch that rests them to their factory default, which synths do.

This alone was sort of a big indicator that despite them being a near-accurate approximation of a human, they lack the true autonomy that humans actually do. Which could have also been an interesting take on the nature of free will, but Bethesda wasn't actually willing to go that far presumably because people weren't willing to meet them half-way.

even the gooniest of goons tend not to be this nitpicky about what constitutes sentience but here we are

Suppose humans had a nerve tucked away in the body that, when pressed down, caused complete and total amnesia. Humans touched at this nerve would revert to a "default state," with a blank slate of a mind that can be exploited for whatever purpose. Does that mean that humans aren't sentient?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Suppose humans had a nerve tucked away in the body that, when pressed down, caused complete and total amnesia. Humans touched at this nerve would revert to a "default state," with a blank slate of a mind that can be exploited for whatever purpose. Does that mean that humans aren't sentient?
some incidences of brain damage have the possibility of not only wiping out most of a person's memory, but can also damage their ability to make new memory (this is actually the most common form of amnesia)

by jove, human beings are already not sentient :monocle:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

by jove, human beings are already not sentient
this explains everything

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fereydun posted:

this explains everything
it perfectly explains how john/jane fallout have the emotional memory of goldfish and have trouble expressing any grievances that are not yes/no/bad joke/huh

good one, todd howard :thumbsup:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
This tends not to be deliberately installed by a creator as the purposes of a failsafe, though.

I think having your existence entirely dictated by another, supreme being who can, at will, shut down your very being is an interesting thing. Likewise, a robot that lacks the true process of creativity but is able to approximate it by careful manipulation and rules-lawyering with their own programming is also interesting.

A robot turned into a human is neither of these things, and as such boring fan service. This is what Curie is. They could have even made Curie interesting by actually having her being a conduit to describe the synth experience, given that you (the player, and the avatar you are playing) are human, you could compare subjective experiences as the process of actually being a synth, even if it has the external appearance of being a human, might not actually be the same thing or even approaching the same thing as being human.

Sadly Bethesda are not that great of a bunch of writers and they don't make games for people who want that kind of thing, so :shrug:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
this seems like a perfect debate for the fallout modding thread

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Sentrybot sounds cool but if I think about it, I can just see it being so goddamned terrible. Sentrybots are enormous, they can't fit through some doorways, can't get around them in narrow corridors, it'd just be awful.

Unless maybe you scaled them down that might be adorable.

There he'd be, sitting in every doorway you want to go through.

That's why I go lone wanderer anyway, companions always in the way

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

The Iron Rose posted:

Basically I'd prefer it if they kept the unique aspect of Curie being a slightly weird robot and being able to make her into a different slightly weird robot than the fan-servicey human surrogate that she becomes. I'm pretty sure there are already mods that do this, so it's all good, for what it is.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
We gotta stop all these fan service potato mannequins.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SirDan3k posted:

these protectrons don't even wear turbans how obscene

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

SirDan3k posted:

I'm a grizzled enough veteran of the internet to know that somewhere out there, right now, there's someone jerking off to Curie as a potato-human. Deep in your heart you know this to be true, too.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
how many dicks can we put on this mister handy

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

There should be a quest to give Preston a human body since he's the most dull and robotic character in the game.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

General Morden posted:

how many dicks can we put on this mister handy

Our scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Basically I'd prefer it if they kept the unique aspect of Curie being a slightly weird robot and being able to make her into a different slightly weird robot than the fan-servicey human surrogate that she becomes. I'm pretty sure there are already mods that do this, so it's all good, for what it is.

Sentrybot Curie

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Our scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

If Big MT still existed they would have probably tried it eventually, assuming they hadn't already.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Ddraig posted:

Likewise, a robot that lacks the true process of creativity but is able to approximate it by careful manipulation and rules-lawyering with their own programming is also interesting.

What IS the true process of creativity? If you say anything other than "magic of the human spirit", you've described a program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Skandranon posted:

What IS the true process of creativity? If you say anything other than "magic of the human spirit", you've described a program.

Nobody knows. We haven't actually been able to fully replicate it either. We don't even really understand it.

• Locked thread