Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Well goddamn, they sure as hell aren't shy about trying new things!

It does work quite well, the first couple of times I did go back to time track 1, but i couldn't be bothered eventually. Soon it breaks down and you really aren't meant to anyway. Was certainly fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Get out of here, Denton!

I did this on purpose just to see who'd notice first. :smug:

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Angela Christine posted:

Maybe his dad was a tomcat and he had a bunch of half-siblings he didn't know about.

Cerv posted:

they could've still been kids/teenagers themselves.

True, still, I feel like there was so something weird going on in the writer's room when it came to Orson. Like, maybe they originally planned for Clara to have been pregnant with Danny's kid or something?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mind Loving Owl posted:

True, still, I feel like there was so something weird going on in the writer's room when it came to Orson. Like, maybe they originally planned for Clara to have been pregnant with Danny's kid or something?

There was that '3 months' among all the post-it notes of things she had to tell him.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Even if Clara was pregnant, the events of Dark Water/Death in Heaven combined with seeing Danny again in Last Christmas allowed her to move past it, and heal.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

CobiWann posted:

I did this on purpose just to see who'd notice first. :smug:

Of course you did, Chesterfield.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

Even if Clara was pregnant, the events of Dark Water/Death in Heaven combined with seeing Danny again in Last Christmas allowed her to move past it, and heal.

What a peculiar thing to say

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

She was pregnant, she's over that now

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
She had pregnant but she got better

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CobiWann posted:

you bastard

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What a peculiar thing to say

Yes I'm at a loss for words

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That is a very good reason to return to the role, at least.

jojoinnit posted:

She had pregnant but she got better

Well, three months now. I suppose this baby really is coming. *pulls TARDIS lever* But it's going to be coming... the long way 'round!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I very much enjoyed the DW villain-esque message in my Secret Santa present:

Thank you, MrL_JaKiri, it was just the present for a non-DW fan :v:

My girlfriend and I have rented a cottage in the Lakes for xmas/NY so I'm sure I'll subject her to a bit of Tom Baker while we're shut in there (will be nice for her to watch some TV with me where I'm not saying "I MADE THAT AND THAT AND THAT LOOOOOK"). Baker seems as good a place as any for me to start! If I ever go back to DW I'll feel slightly less of a fraud.

PS: now I have your full name I'll be passing it onto Mr. Moffat.

I haven't actually seen my Santee post at all since I've been here, and they're getting a cracking gift! Sort your life out, pal.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There's 3 things in total that may not have been dispatched together, all with similarly nonsensical ramblings attached, so hopefully they all arrive!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Also Moffat can bring it :argh:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's 3 things in total that may not have been dispatched together, all with similarly nonsensical ramblings attached, so hopefully they all arrive!

Oh blimey, that's very generous of you, thank you. I think 2 of 3 have arrived - will keep an eye out for the third.

We actually had all the DVDs in the office for reference and I quite fancied taking a dip in but never had the time, so this will be quite fun, thanks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Android Invasion is not so good

Get out of here, Denton!

Denton, Denton, you've got no pretension

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Has anyone here given the "Season 27" Lost Stories from Big Finish a go? I'm kind of interested, but 12.99 CDN a pop and I do still have some last-minute Christmas shopping to do and all so I can't be too selfish. Just wondering if they're any good.

I do have a whole bunch of Colin Baker Lost Stories from that Humble Bundle a year ago, but it's all like... Nightmare Fair and Mission To Magnus. Which I've heard are yuck.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I haven’t heard it, but my wife’s ex-husband freakin’ loves The Last Sontaran.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Forktoss posted:

Now I'm going to have to have to waste my Christmas stopping a bloody Ormazoid invasion, and suddenly all my seafood and poultry dishes taste really good! Curse you, After the War :sassargh:

I'm glad it made it to you, and that I've finally paid you back for the Pip'n'Jane you sent me three years ago. Seeing your post has been a high point in a pretty :smithfrog: week.

Also, to my Santa! I've been out of the country for a week now, so if your present arrived after last Thursday I haven't gotten to see it yet!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BSam posted:

I've only just started listening but, hey big finish, what the gently caress

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-you-are-the-doctor-and-other-stories

a choose your own adventure audio story? gently caress yes

Topical! :v:

Forktoss posted:

What's this nefarious note of nettlesome noisomeness?

what

what

WHAT

Now I'm going to have to have to waste my Christmas stopping a bloody Ormazoid invasion, and suddenly all my seafood and poultry dishes taste really good! Curse you, After the War :sassargh:

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
As a highly irregular participant in this thread, let me say: It's always fun watching the DW Secret Santa play out every year.

Geeks bonding over their geekery. Warms the hearts. :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tempo 119 posted:

Yes I'm at a loss for words

Niiiiice :mmmsmug:

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

pgroce posted:

As a highly irregular participant in this thread, let me say: It's always fun watching the DW Secret Santa play out every year.

Geeks bonding over their geekery. Warms the hearts. :3:

This is the first year I've been able to take part. Felt nice to give out some Tom Baker love to a Good Poster. Now every day is possibly Christmas, because something could come in the mail. Not just from this thread's Secret Santa, but from anyone. I never thought checking the mailbox could be so exciting, but here we are. :unsmith:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

FreezingInferno posted:

Has anyone here given the "Season 27" Lost Stories from Big Finish a go? I'm kind of interested, but 12.99 CDN a pop and I do still have some last-minute Christmas shopping to do and all so I can't be too selfish. Just wondering if they're any good.

I do have a whole bunch of Colin Baker Lost Stories from that Humble Bundle a year ago, but it's all like... Nightmare Fair and Mission To Magnus. Which I've heard are yuck.

It depends on how much you like Season 26 of the TV show. Like the Lost Stories of the Sixth Doctor, these are scripts of their time, for better and for worse.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

echoplex posted:

I very much enjoyed the DW villain-esque message in my Secret Santa present:

Thank you, MrL_JaKiri, it was just the present for a non-DW fan :v:

My girlfriend and I have rented a cottage in the Lakes for xmas/NY so I'm sure I'll subject her to a bit of Tom Baker while we're shut in there (will be nice for her to watch some TV with me where I'm not saying "I MADE THAT AND THAT AND THAT LOOOOOK"). Baker seems as good a place as any for me to start! If I ever go back to DW I'll feel slightly less of a fraud.

PS: now I have your full name I'll be passing it onto Mr. Moffat.

I haven't actually seen my Santee post at all since I've been here, and they're getting a cracking gift! Sort your life out, pal.

Everyone needs some Adric during the Life Day season!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

What kind of takeup would we get for another round of Doctor Who Sheep at some point before the end of the year?

Round 1
Round 2

It's been a while since we last ran it, I'm sure I can think up 13 more questions by now.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

CobiWann posted:

Character write-outs are often harder on the Doctor than the companion.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:3: The Tenth Planet

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

Forktoss, I got your gift! Thank you! I'll put up a pic later. You are a fine ambassador* for your country.

Oh, good! I was getting a bit worried if it would make it in time. Hope you liked it!

After The War posted:

I'm glad it made it to you, and that I've finally paid you back for the Pip'n'Jane you sent me three years ago. Seeing your post has been a high point in a pretty :smithfrog: week.

Oh man, I should've known that would come back to haunt me. The books are a whole lot of fun and Old Bay really is awesome, so thank you again!

The_Doctor posted:

*of DEATH! <TWAAANG!>

OH poo poo

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Moffat said in a recent DWM that the "3 months" note was in reference to how long she had been lying to Danny, not about being pregnant or anything.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

Moffat said in a recent DWM that the "3 months" note was in reference to how long she had been lying to Danny, not about being pregnant or anything.

Death of the author. :colbert:

Forktoss posted:

OH poo poo

Forktoss is good people. :3: Underneath this lot are hilarious comics he drew himself but which I failed to take any clear photos of. I shall remedy that later.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

Also, to my Santa! I've been out of the country for a week now, so if your present arrived after last Thursday I haven't gotten to see it yet!

I don't suppose a package arrived for your other half from Fredericksburg this week?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Not only did the Doctor break all of his rules in HB, he also explicitly did all the things that he harangued Zigella about. He carried out a revolution/coup and overthrown a planetary regime (even going as far as to kill someone while at it) because he was SO ANGRY - then left others to pick up the pieces. He was even willing to take a 50-50 chance with the neurolock, just as she was prepared to do with the buttons in the Osgood Box. And, of course, both episodes ended up with memory wipes. Coincidence? Or a clue that the real Doctor is locked away in a pod in Osgoods' basement?

Also, I wonder whether the Cloister-Dalek begging Doctor and Clara to "exterminate me" - or warning them to "exterminate Me".

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

FreezingInferno posted:

I really liked Leviathan and Paradise 5, if you ended up getting those ones.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

vegetables posted:

I really liked Leviathan and Paradise 5, if you ended up getting those ones.

Seconding that Leviathan is good. I also quite enjoyed Point of Entry, even though it gets a bit too wacky towards the end. The Macros is also decent enough.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The only real problem I had with Paradise 5 is that Alex MacQueen is in it and I kept expecting... well, you know.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So I finally caught up with S9 because school and everything distracted me after the Dalek two parter.

Overall pretty good. I'm guessing like me, everyone else found the Sandman episode to be the weakest, although it was very experimental (at least for Who) and I can respect it for that. The only really strange thing I thought was having the Woman who Lived right after the Girl who Died, but I guess there's not really anywhere else you can put it and still give Face the Raven the time it needs to develop.

The ending didn't quite stick but I appreciate that instead of having a big end of the universe plot it's just the Doctor trying to save someone he cares about. The way they left the door open for Jenna Coleman to come back (even if just reoccurring) was a bit sloppy, but not significantly different from other stories.

In retrospect, Heaven Sent kind of ruins the pacing of the overarching story, but it's so good as an episode that I think it's worth it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

computer parts posted:

So I finally caught up with S9 because school and everything distracted me after the Dalek two parter.

Overall pretty good. I'm guessing like me, everyone else found the Sandman episode to be the weakest, although it was very experimental (at least for Who) and I can respect it for that. The only really strange thing I thought was having the Woman who Lived right after the Girl who Died, but I guess there's not really anywhere else you can put it and still give Face the Raven the time it needs to develop.

The ending didn't quite stick but I appreciate that instead of having a big end of the universe plot it's just the Doctor trying to save someone he cares about. The way they left the door open for Jenna Coleman to come back (even if just reoccurring) was a bit sloppy, but not significantly different from other stories.

In retrospect, Heaven Sent kind of ruins the pacing of the overarching story, but it's so good as an episode that I think it's worth it.

The first Zygon ep is the one that I think thread consensus puts at the bottom of the pile, but I tend to agree with you. The Sandman to me was ambitious but it felt incomplete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ephemeron posted:

Not only did the Doctor break all of his rules in HB, he also explicitly did all the things that he harangued Zigella about. He carried out a revolution/coup and overthrown a planetary regime (even going as far as to kill someone while at it) because he was SO ANGRY - then left others to pick up the pieces. He was even willing to take a 50-50 chance with the neurolock, just as she was prepared to do with the buttons in the Osgood Box. And, of course, both episodes ended up with memory wipes.

This did seem to me to be the point, a revelation of just how far the Doctor was willing to go for Clara and drat the consequences. Me's interpretation of the Hybrid was that it was a reference to the duo of the Doctor and Clara, two people who would go to absolutely any lengths, break any rules, withstand any torture etc to save the other. To the point that not only was it emotionally unhealthy for them, but dangerous for the rest of the universe. Which is why.....

computer parts posted:

I think Heaven Sent is excellent in going to the extreme end of demonstrating just how committed the Doctor is to Clara, and just how dangerous that makes him (and her, though to be fair she's dead at the time). It stands alone as a fantastic episode, but I think it also helps tie together the entire season.

In general, I think season 9 when looked at in its individual parts is a little underwhelming - outside of Heaven Sent episodes are at their very best "pretty good" and otherwise just kind of there. When looked at in the context of the entire season, everything improves because it's all part of one big story with a core theme of deception (of the characters to others and to themselves, and of the show to the viewers). The trouble is, that means we're assembling a puzzle as we watch, and it's only really satisfying when we get to the end and can look at the big picture. I applaud Moffat for trying something like this, but it makes me contrast it with season 6 where the big overall story was a bit underwhelming but along the way we got some of the absolute best singular episodes that the revival has ever done.

• Locked thread