Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bob Morales posted:

I made a little Python program that creates a 2.25" x 0.75" label. It prints 'right' on a 4x6 label but when I load the roll of 2.25" x 0.75" labels, NOTHING PRINTS EVER. No test pages, no printer self-tests (config page), nothing. Ever.

It's like it's not getting the paper size, or I'm not telling it there's a new width of media somehow.

Force re-calibration, usually the 2nd blinking in the series if you hold down the feed button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

captkirk posted:

Get a raspberry pi hooked up to the VGA port that says "switch to HDMI 1"

I guarantee they'd just unplug it and stick it into their laptop.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

After a securtiy incident where we discovered e911 calls weren't working right (wrong address information being passed to dispatch), my part-time boss comes in this morning and I am giving him the run-down. I have basically no phone experience, and since they fired our phone guy a year ago I have been able to get by with help from our vendor. Also documentation? lol, its non-existent, or out of date. I am telling my boss what our vendor told me, and he starts to give me poo poo about "what part of this don't you understand?" Hey, how about none of it? You were out, I had to rely on our vendor for assistance. What more do you expect of me?

Later in the afternoon we're back on the phone with the vendor for two hours, during which time it is evident that boss has less of a comfort level on our system than I do. I'm pissed.

As sysadmin I sometimes feel like jill of all trades, master of none. There is so much poo poo to be done at my org and even with a recent hire in tier 1, I am not sure how we can possibly stay on top of everything all the time. It is completely overwhelming. Days like today make me want to hit the eject button.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 17, 2015

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
There's always Detroit Metro or GR :D

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

I have a desktop rack for my single server.
This may be an option if your server has the same processor as your PC, but if you're running Sparc or IBM POWER, only the very lowest-end machines come in deskside configurations.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Sirotan posted:

After a securtiy incident where we discovered e911 calls were working right (wrong address information being passed to dispatch), my part-time boss comes in this morning and I am giving him the run-down. I have basically no phone experience, and since they fired our phone guy a year ago I have been able to get by with help from our vendor. Also documentation? lol, its non-existent, or out of date. I am telling my boss what our vendor told me, and he starts to give me poo poo about "what part of this don't you understand?" Hey, how about none of it? You were out, I had to rely on our vendor for assistance. What more do you expect of me?

Later in the afternoon we're back on the phone with the vendor for two hours, during which time it is evident that boss has less of a comfort level on our system than I do. I'm pissed.

As sysadmin I sometimes feel like jill of all trades, master of none. There is so much poo poo to be done at my org and even with a recent hire in tier 1, I am not sure how we can possibly stay on top of everything all the time. It is completely overwhelming. Days like today make me want to hit the eject button.

And if you hang in there for a few more years, you too can be just like DT.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Sales comp by any chance?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

pixaal posted:

Force re-calibration, usually the 2nd blinking in the series if you hold down the feed button.

Tried all seven of those fuckers. Nothing.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sirotan posted:

I am telling my boss what our vendor told me, and he starts to give me poo poo about "what part of this don't you understand?" Hey, how about none of it? You were out, I had to rely on our vendor for assistance. What more do you expect of me?

This could have been a miscommunication. "What part of this don't you understand" can be a literal request for information so that he can focus on helping on that part, and his frustration could easily be with the situation, not with you.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

30 minutes until I go tell the CEO "our IT is hosed, we need someone in-house to manage it"

:ohdear:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

30 minutes until I go tell the CEO "our IT is hosed, we need someone in-house to manage it"

:toot:

You can do it.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Days like today make me want to hit the eject button.

That was exactly what pushed me over the edge and made me :yotj: from my media-business job. The place was pretty decent, but I'm just so much happier in a place with a small team with overlapping skills - and an understanding of how important documentation actually is. The small jump in salary is a nice bonus, but the mere fact that I'm not the only person on line when SHTF makes me sleep so much better at night.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Please don't... it doesn't sound like you want this. If you must, suggest there are things that should be done, and your contractor should do them, since he does IT things. If they are fine paying contractor to do them, and they get done, horray, you get what you want. If it ends up costing too much to do them, they can then look for someone cheaper, possibly justifying a full-time position that doesn't instantly get plunked on you.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

baquerd posted:

This could have been a miscommunication. "What part of this don't you understand" can be a literal request for information so that he can focus on helping on that part, and his frustration could easily be with the situation, not with you.

Maybe. But if so he did a really lovely job of communicating that to me.

Meanwhile, at work, we had to quarantine email attachments today due to an increase in spam. Since I've gotten home, a recently-hired VP has emailed her resume to herself over and over and over (6 times total) because it's being sent to quarantine and not her inbox. Guess I'll be seeing a termination request soon...

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
:wtf:

After *years* of fighting with horrible DSL for one of our remote locations I convinced management to put in a decent 10m/10m fiber drop. Hook it up for testing today, even though the drop is in Australia the VRF they built it on terminates in the UK...

:psyboom:

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Let me guess. 1000+ ms ping times?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

RyuHimora posted:

Let me guess. 1000+ ms ping times?

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.21.12.254
2 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms 204.245.6.177
3 189 ms 168 ms 169 ms 202.139.16.21

That's just the first hop outside of my UTM.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DigitalMocking posted:

:wtf:

After *years* of fighting with horrible DSL for one of our remote locations I convinced management to put in a decent 10m/10m fiber drop. Hook it up for testing today, even though the drop is in Australia the VRF they built it on terminates in the UK...

:psyboom:

Guess they are selling the NBN off after all - to the UK! :tinfoil:.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Guess they are selling the NBN off after all - to the UK! :tinfoil:.

Its not even the NBN, this section of brisbane won't see NBN until 2017, its a fiber drop with Level3

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

it turns out I'm right I won't be asked to do it so :sureboat: hooray it was a good thing

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 18, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sooooo how'd it go?

e;f,b.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Christ

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

no, boat. the difference is they float on the water rather than walking

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 18, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

no, boat. the difference is they float on the water rather than walking.

I saved it for the end of our meeting after my performance evaluation which I didn't expect would be today. I asked the CEO a bunch of questions like "do we have a long term technology plan? do we have a disaster recovery plan? do we have an upgrade cycle? what will tech look like for our org 5 years from now? what's the largest tech issue we're facing right now? if [Manager] wanted to roll out iPads with educational software, who would be responsible for provisioning and securing them? do you know that 50 of the employees have administrator rights on their laptops and they've all been upgrading themselves to Windows 10?" and the answers were "no, maybe, no, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know, oh my god what" followed by "the exec team have been discussing it and i knew we needed to do something but I didn't know things were this bad, thanks" and "no we wouldn't ask you to do any of it, we need you doing your job" and then I went and drank a half a pot of tea to calm down because wow ~i dodged a bullet~

Congratulations, you are PROBABLY not going to be a scapegoat!

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
How do you guys feel about being asked to "google" someone (i.e. background check for HR)?

Came back from a day off and spotted a note on my desk with a name and 'google search' written on it, and figured I was about to be asked to. As it happened the supervisor picked it up and didn't say anything so maybe he's handled it already, but that got me thinking and I think I'd object to that. I mean, surely everyone knows how Google works by now, so I can only imagine a response to that effect would be met with a "yeah but can you 'work your magic' to dig a bit deeper?"

I know that technically anything posted on the internet is public, but digging around looking for dirt on someone's personal life is an idea that makes me very uncomfortable. Especially if what they're getting at is using those "people search" things where they collate all your social profiles and list any usernames they can find that has been tied to your real identity in any way. I wouldn't like people doing it to me, so wouldn't like to do it to them. I know many employers would do that, and that if you're concerned you should take personal responsibility (that's why I changed my username here a while back after doing a bit of a cleanup of potentially linkable stuff, because why would you want a future employer seeing all your work related venting) but it doesn't make it any less of a dirty thing to do IMO. The outside of their house is public too, but you wouldn't sit outside their house in a van watching them come and go and maybe digging through their trash unless you work for the police or something. To me it seems a very similar thing.

Just curious if it's just me being hyper sensitive about this stuff or if others in IT roles feel the same way.

Edit: Legally in the UK I can't find much in the way of rules, but the ICO guidelines on vetting in general (not specific to internet searches) say "Only use vetting where there are particular and significant risks involved to the employer, clients, customers or others, and where there is no less intrusive and reasonably practicable alternative." so I guess privacy concerns around that are not exactly unheard of. Perhaps it's a matter of trusting that HR have a specific reason and it's not becoming an automatic thing.

Edit 2:

http://united-kingdom.taylorwessing.com/globaldatahub/article_vetting_pre_emp.html posted:

Screening should, however, be used sparingly; the Information Commissioner's Office specifically prohibits use of media screening for "arbitrary" checks on an individual. All companies will need to ensure they have good reason for conducting screening and that such screening only goes so far as is necessary and proportionate to achieve these aims.

At least now I'm armed with a bit more knowledge on what the ICO think of it. I'd at least want to know how they fit the proposed search into the criteria of 'necessary and proportionate'. It's hard to say for sure how I'd react without knowing more about why they're digging etc.. hopefully it's not going to come up as I don't fancy a battle with HR (people tend to lose those, so to speak)

vvvv glad it's not just me, yeah it's a classic case of "you're in IT, you're good at this internet stuff so please can you use google for me"

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 18, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Never been asked but would probably refuse on moral grounds; as far as I'm concerned someone's personal life is irrelevant unless they are going to be a very public figure representing the company (and if that were the case, I'd tell them to hire a professional background checking service, not the IT guy FFS).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GargleBlaster posted:

How do you guys feel about being asked to "google" someone (i.e. background check for HR)?

At least now I'm armed with a bit more knowledge on what the ICO think of it. I'd at least want to know how they fit the proposed search into the criteria of 'necessary and proportionate'. It's hard to say for sure how I'd react without knowing more about why they're digging etc.. hopefully it's not going to come up as I don't fancy a battle with HR (people tend to lose those, so to speak)

vvvv glad it's not just me, yeah it's a classic case of "you're in IT, you're good at this internet stuff so please can you use google for me"

Legally, it's probably perfectly fine for a company to view anything that is in the public domain.

However, it would make me uncomfortable on moral grounds and I would tell that to HR.

(I'd probably just have a quick search myself first, just to make sure they aren't a closet nazi - but that is only for selfish reasons as I wouldn't want to work with someone like that)

There is also a legal angle here: If I were to say 'Brian Smith posts on SA under the username GargleBlaster and he's a terrible racist' and my HR doesn't hire Brian; potentially I am in the poo poo if it turns out that Brian Smith isn't actually GargleBlaster and I have just slandered him.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

spog posted:

Legally, it's probably perfectly fine for a company to view anything that is in the public domain.

However, it would make me uncomfortable on moral grounds and I would tell that to HR.

(I'd probably just have a quick search myself first, just to make sure they aren't a closet nazi - but that is only for selfish reasons as I wouldn't want to work with someone like that)

There is also a legal angle here: If I were to say 'Brian Smith posts on SA under the username GargleBlaster and he's a terrible racist' and my HR doesn't hire Brian; potentially I am in the poo poo if it turns out that Brian Smith isn't actually GargleBlaster and I have just slandered him.

How did you know my name was Brian Smith or that I'm a terrible racist? :tinfoil:

Ignorance is bliss. I ended up adding a few colleagues on Facebook back when it seemed like a good idea for social reasons (and to be fair there, if you vent about work on Facebook either in public mode or with colleagues present then that's just plain dumb) and you do get the odd one reposting racist Britain First posts and such. I have a feeling it's best for your own sanity not to know just how many closet nazis you unwittingly surround yourself with.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 18, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

GargleBlaster posted:

Ignorance is bliss. I ended up adding a few colleagues on Facebook back when it seemed like a good idea for social reasons (and to be fair there, if you vent about work on Facebook either in public mode or with colleagues present then that's just plain dumb) and you do get the odd one reposting racist Britain First posts and such. I have a feeling it's best for your own sanity not to know just how many closet nazis you unwittingly surround yourself with.

That's true: just because you are a horrible person in private, doesn't mean you will be a bad employee or colleague.

That said, people who post stuff like that on Facebook are almost guaranteed to catch you by the drinks machine and start a conversation 'Now, I'm not racist, but...'

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I try and keep to a policy of no political opinions at work. One guy here likes to spend most lunch breaks telling anyone sitting around him about how Britain is full and all the refugees should be shot and I feel uncomfortable on behalf of anyone forced to listen.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Yikes. Nothing THAT bad here. However I went into a meeting a week or so ago and for no apparent reason the 3 of them just went off on a massive rant about Muslims. It was something one of them had read in the Daily Mail about a town supposedly being afraid to put up Christmas decorations in case it offends them, so they went of on all the "coming over here expecting us to change for them instead of conforming to our rules like we'd be expected to over there" business.
I just quietly cringed, tbh. Not very good at debating people at the best of times, never mind when it's 3 vs 1 and strong opinions..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ultra conservative republicans own the place I work at, we get the "remember your employer" emails during election times, as well as the tour bus with the local representatives and senators stopping in to tour all the time, which ends up with mandatory pep rally's or speeches we get to sit through

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Ultra conservative republicans own the place I work at, we get the "remember your employer" emails during election times

This owns about as much as the anti-union poo poo plastered all over supermarket corkboards.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

GargleBlaster posted:

Yikes. Nothing THAT bad here. However I went into a meeting a week or so ago and for no apparent reason the 3 of them just went off on a massive rant about Muslims. It was something one of them had read in the Daily Mail about a town supposedly being afraid to put up Christmas decorations in case it offends them, so they went of on all the "coming over here expecting us to change for them instead of conforming to our rules like we'd be expected to over there" business.
I just quietly cringed, tbh. Not very good at debating people at the best of times, never mind when it's 3 vs 1 and strong opinions..

You can't win against Daily Mail readers, so don't even bother.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

spog posted:

'Brian Smith posts on SA under the username GargleBlaster and he's a terrible racist'

Phew I'm glad Gargleblaster is bad at being racist! I'd hate for him to be good at it. It reminded me of Father Ted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zkL91LzCMc

seadweller fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 18, 2015

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My boss talked to our call center manager this morning about doing some more 911 testing after we think we fixed the issue overnight. She gives him an earful about how disrupted her day was yesterday because we asked her to do some test calls (all of about 3), and the dispatchers she talked to were getting snippy at her. For gently caress's sake lady, you're a call center manager, you can't handle dealing with other people working in call centers? Would you rather the cops/fire/ambulance show up at a different location when you call in with an emergency? argghhhhh why are people so dumb

Also we are having an ugly sweater party at work today. I am wearing silk. I don't own an ugly sweater (ironic or otherwise) and I'm not going to buy one to bring out 1x a year or less for events like this. Was supposed to bring a dish to pass for it too but (onion cheese beer bread made with homebrew) because I was working until 9pm last night, I didn't get a chance to make it.

Grumpotan

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Sirotan posted:

My boss talked to our call center manager this morning about doing some more 911 testing after we think we fixed the issue overnight. She gives him an earful about how disrupted her day was yesterday because we asked her to do some test calls (all of about 3), and the dispatchers she talked to were getting snippy at her. For gently caress's sake lady, you're a call center manager, you can't handle dealing with other people working in call centers? Would you rather the cops/fire/ambulance show up at a different location when you call in with an emergency? argghhhhh why are people so dumb

Also we are having an ugly sweater party at work today. I am wearing silk. I don't own an ugly sweater (ironic or otherwise) and I'm not going to buy one to bring out 1x a year or less for events like this. Was supposed to bring a dish to pass for it too but (onion cheese beer bread made with homebrew) because I was working until 9pm last night, I didn't get a chance to make it.

Grumpotan

Depending on your site, you may be able to contact the 911 center and let them know you will be doing testing. I have done testing with hospitals and schools before, and they usually reach out to the local center before testing because 911 calls from those sites are taken very seriously and there is usually some sort of integrated plan for emergencies at those type of locations.

Another way to do it is have your remote employees in another state or country dial 911 to the center closest to your main PBX and hang up repeatedly. If this happens enough times the operators will be really happy that you are testing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Also we are having an ugly sweater party at work today. I am wearing silk.

Silk? For work?

Polyester is all they deserve.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

spog posted:

Silk? For work?

Polyester is all they deserve.

Dunno, just wanted to dress up a bit. I guess I am ok with griping about their party plans on the internets but irl didn't want to be a total party pooper...

Now I have to go to Costco to buy something for the potluck. I don't know what to get. Cheese? Bread? Hummus? Whole frozen lamb carcass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

spog posted:

You can't win against Daily Mail readers, so don't even bother.

Well I'm the frothing mouthed ultraconservative in my workplace so I don't have to worry about it, but couldn't you get loudly angry about the latest Weekly World News article and angrily redirect the conversation to why doesn't the government do something about these Elvis-Alien clones everywhere that's what I want to know. The found a 2-headed sheep in the west countries again, sure sign of the Aztek apocalypse I'll tell ya.