Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I wonder if Uncle Derek knows who I actually am. I've been making fun of him, I wonder if I'm in danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ap0calyps3
May 14, 2009

D_Smart posted:

Sorry no. I've written about this in my blogs before. They were falt broke before Star Citizen. Know where they lived, what assets they had etc. The whole loving thing. You know, legal research.

I think you misspelled stalking.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm going to throw my $0.02 behind CRoberts not being a criminal but instead being incompetent.

I think he genuinely started to make a game, but was distracted by the opportunity to create an A-list digital cut-scene movie.

You could tell by the livestream that he hasn't touched the game in an eternity.

He's CEO of a company that has received over $100m in spendable funds, and I think he's using company funds to pay for a lifestyle that he could only ever dream of. Whether that's illegal or not will be seen if/when the company folds and Karl auditors start following the paper trails...

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
They accidentally left the cameras on at CIG after the livestream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCqnrJsyoRY

Merry Christmas

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Amarcarts posted:

Merry Christmas
God bless.

You're doing yeoman's work there.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Amarcarts posted:

Merry Christmas

:five:

That's loving brilliant :)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Told you guys yesterday it was bullshit.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

1500 posted:

mid 2013, a time long ago, when CIG looked like they were competent and there was a chance of a good game.

Huh.

Well, the famous 1.1 version of the TOS (that essentially said refunds if the full game isn't out by the end of Nov 2014) was up 8/29/13. Their current one 1.2 was up on 2/1/15.
Again, calling bullshit on the refund request, and now you've got a new point to argue that you clearly fall under the 1.1 TOS...

https://web.archive.org/web/20141102060551/https://robertsspaceindustries.com/tos

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nobody is saying they didn't land on a planet. What they're saying is that the entire demonstration is intentionally crafted in such a way that it appears to be more advanced than it really is. This is based on the following arguments:

- The size of the planet was only 1000km, which is smaller than a moon.
- There were no planetary effects on the ship. No atmospheric effects, no gravitational effects, nothing at all. In other words there was no transition from space to planet.
- The only portion that the player interacted with had been previously shown and is hand crafted.
- You can clearly see the transition between the hand crafted portion and the procedurally generated portion.
- As per this post a lot of the effects used intentionally obfuscated some of problems.
- The demonstration was done in the editor and not the actual engine.

Now I am not a programmer, graphics engineer, level designer, or anything else. I'm just some rear end in a top hat on a keyboard. But my understanding is that, from a technical perspective, what was demonstrated there was not terribly revolutionary. It was essentially a 1000km sphere with some pretty effects applied to the surface and a hand crafted level put on one part of it. Within the confines of the game it was basically a big space station floating in space, and not necessarily representative of the type of tech one has seen in Elite or NMS.

In other words it was basically the same as doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDhJkF0AmQs

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySqCfpnR0Ck

When backers are instead interpreting it to mean that this is around the corner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEln23kDJxw

I told you this. Yesterday. Right after the stream. And it took me a single watch of the stream to spot the bullshit and call "smoke & mirrors" bullshit.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Amarcarts posted:

Merry Christmas

:five::five::five::five::five:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Fractal Wave posted:

Don't put the idea in the chairman's head. He'll insist that our computer run a full simulation starting from the big bang before rendering each planet to ensure realism.

Also, what happened to the pending Dr. Smart blog, it appears to have been removed http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/12/star-citizen-the-hundred-million-dollar-lie/

People kept asking me for the drat password thinking it was finished.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I'm going to throw my $0.02 behind CRoberts not being a criminal but instead being incompetent.

If you chip in another 0.03$ cents i no someone whom knows someone that can hook you up with some sweeeeet .jpeg's. You in ?? :thumbsup:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Someone should take photos of the planets in E:D and post them as "leaked" jpegs of upcoming content.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Chris Roberts is making the game he wants to play. He just doesn't play it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

jaegerx posted:

I think that might have been the most damning thing so far. A lot of Star Citizen stuff is pretty esoteric. But them loving up on a livestream and it being saved forever is something pretty much anyone can understand as: these people are nuts / this is going thermonuke.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

RunAndGun posted:

Huh.

Well, the famous 1.1 version of the TOS (that essentially said refunds if the full game isn't out by the end of Nov 2014) was up 8/29/13. Their current one 1.2 was up on 2/1/15.
Again, calling bullshit on the refund request, and now you've got a new point to argue that you clearly fall under the 1.1 TOS...

https://web.archive.org/web/20141102060551/https://robertsspaceindustries.com/tos

He doesn't. As long as he accessed the game after that, and agreed to the current ToS, he's farked.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Amarcarts posted:

Merry Christmas

Holy poo poo.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Strangest Finch posted:

So another uniformed-layman question, how much effort is that sort of fix for the people actually coding things compared to, say, adding a new ship into the game? I guess I'm curious if they simply haven't thought to do it or if this is another instance of their priorities being totally hosed.

It's a lot of work. Multiplayer programming is a specific discipline; not unlike graphics, AI etc. And through an MMO into the mix, and you're pretty much in alchemy territory.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

I told you this. Yesterday. Right after the stream. And it took me a single watch of the stream to spot the bullshit and call "smoke & mirrors" bullshit.

Oh I agree, and since I don't have a background in graphics or programming it took me awhile to really understand what you meant. Thanks for the clarification.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

D_Smart posted:

As long as you are a client, all packets get broadcast. If they wanted to, they could optimize it so that packets are handled based on location, distance etc. It cuts down tremendously on the amount of packets you have to send. Especially in instances whereby you have some packets which have to be "guarantee send" flag in the TCP or UDP package.

The fact that they have so much crap to send/receive, is precisely one of the reasons why they can't have many clients on the server.

Hey careful, you're verging on territory I'm actually familiar with.

Not sure how you're going to localize on location, especially if they're planning to toss this into a remote network.

Also you'll never have any sort of ack from udp. As in, it's not even designed to do that. Send and forget.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

jaegerx posted:

Chris deals only in purity and perfection, those few minutes playing 2.0 cost him 5 ablutions.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh I agree, and since I don't have a background in graphics or programming it took me awhile to really understand what you meant. Thanks for the clarification.

No worries. I wish I had more time to do a detailed write-up. But after going through 15 pages, it looks like a bunch of smart folks, coupled with this gem over at ED, rose to the occasion.

Seriously, this was nothing other than them wanting to show something new, substantial, eye-popping, in order to wind up the backers and raise money. Considering they appear to have made less than $500K, I don't think it worked.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Amarcarts posted:

Merry Christmas

Holy poo poo. Is this real life? Shut down the 'Verse boys, it's done. It's done.

:vince:

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Amarcarts posted:

Merry Christmas

Kubrick, Tarantino, Spielberg, Amarcarts.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Amarcarts posted:

Merry Christmas

I am dead. The pubes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

OhDearGodNo posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:
As long as you are a client, all packets get broadcast. If they wanted to, they could optimize it so that packets are handled based on location, distance etc. It cuts down tremendously on the amount of packets you have to send. Especially in instances whereby you have some packets which have to be "guarantee send" flag in the TCP or UDP package.

The fact that they have so much crap to send/receive, is precisely one of the reasons why they can't have many clients on the server.
Hey careful, you're verging on territory I'm actually familiar with.

Not sure how you're going to localize on location, especially if they're planning to toss this into a remote network.

Also you'll never have any sort of ack from udp. As in, it's not even designed to do that. Send and forget.

Being familiar doesn't mean you know more than someone (that would be me) who has written multiplayer games and entire network stacks.

And I don't know what you're going on about. I never said anything about an "ack".

And yes, you can localize on location by doing a range check on the client position and not sending any packets to any client outside of that range. I've done it. It's rudimentary. And every middleware lib (ReplicaNet, RakNet etc) help you do it. e.g. in one of my games, any client outside of a 100km range doesn't get any info about any client outside that range; only from other clients within that "bubble".

Also..

http://ithare.com/64-network-dos-and-donts-for-game-engines-part-iv-great-tcp-vs-udp-debate/

http://www.jenkinssoftware.com/raknet/manual/introduction.html

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Omi-Polari posted:

I think that might have been the most damning thing so far. A lot of Star Citizen stuff is pretty esoteric. But them loving up on a livestream and it being saved forever is something pretty much anyone can understand as: these people are nuts / this is going thermonuke.

Yeah, that's definitely 'the emperor has no clothes' moment. I thought for awhile that they might pull something together, but with that performance, I'm not really so sure. He's obviously been obsessing over his magnum opus Squadron 42 and hasn't even looked at the PTU recently, which is ironic because that's really the thing everyone cares about. The cultists can say whatever they want, they don't give two flying fucks about Squadron 42 or A-List Actors or Mo-Cap. They just want to play pretend in space, with exploration, pirating, etc. As for Chris' competence, you don't have to be good at the game you are making. It goes beyond that. He looked like he didn't even play a game in a decade (like it or not, that is important. If you haven't played any games in awhile, how are you going to know what works and what doesn't?) He didn't know how to fix his computer and revealed his password on the livestream. He also didn't know where to go (and what ships were spawnable), didn't even like the UI or chat, which showed he hadn't even looked at it before it launched. What exactly is he doing then? The only answer is Squadron 42.

And I think that's where you have the fundamental problems. The cultists want a persistent universe (which isn't even close to coming together. It is instanced and only supports 16 players. And that's without the massive bugs and crashes). Roberts wants to make a digitally interactive movie as well as this free and open game. Or maybe he really doesn't. Maybe he just cares about Squadron 42, since he can't shut the gently caress up about it and you can beat someone to death with the script. But he is also insanely jealous and wants his game to be the best thing ever, which is why he's throwing in planet generation only because ED has it. SC has no game systems in, no plan or design document on how to add them. Nobody knows what each ship is really worth since they are incredibly buggy and broken. With all that poo poo, plus Chris trying to play 2.0, I don't know how they are going to release anything.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah, that's definitely 'the emperor has no clothes' moment. I thought for awhile that they might pull something together, but with that performance, I'm not really so sure. He's obviously been obsessing over his magnum opus Squadron 42 and hasn't even looked at the PTU recently, which is ironic because that's really the thing everyone cares about. The cultists can say whatever they want, they don't give two flying fucks about Squadron 42 or A-List Actors or Mo-Cap. They just want to play pretend in space, with exploration, pirating, etc. As for Chris' competence, you don't have to be good at the game you are making. It goes beyond that. He looked like he didn't even play a game in a decade (like it or not, that is important. If you haven't played any games in awhile, how are you going to know what works and what doesn't?) He didn't know how to fix his computer and revealed his password on the livestream. He also didn't know where to go (and what ships were spawnable), didn't even like the UI or chat, which showed he hadn't even looked at it before it launched. What exactly is he doing then? The only answer is Squadron 42.

And I think that's where you have the fundamental problems. The cultists want a persistent universe (which isn't even close to coming together. It is instanced and only supports 16 players. And that's without the massive bugs and crashes). Roberts wants to make a digitally interactive movie as well as this free and open game. Or maybe he really doesn't. Maybe he just cares about Squadron 42, since he can't shut the gently caress up about it and you can beat someone to death with the script. But he is also insanely jealous and wants his game to be the best thing ever, which is why he's throwing in planet generation only because ED has it. SC has no game systems in, no plan or design document on how to add them. Nobody knows what each ship is really worth since they are incredibly buggy and broken. With all that poo poo, plus Chris trying to play 2.0, I don't know how they are going to release anything.

They aren't.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Derek I know it's hard but not everyone is as amazingly brilliant as you. Some of us down here are mere mortals, try to understand.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I can't believe the game is going to be delayed another two weeks because Chris is going to put everyone and their mother on making a new chat interface. But for serious ED could kill this just by adding little features that Chris needs to copy to keep up with it.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I think as we get closer to the end of this whole thing we will see them dropping prices on poo poo to try and get people to give moar.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SerCypher posted:

Derek I know it's hard but not everyone is as amazingly brilliant as you. Some of us down here are mere mortals, try to understand.

It's not about that, really. I was just making a point that if I had enough time last night to discuss/describe it in less than 20K words, it would all have been clear then. :(

To be honest, I'm just very disappointed that, to this day, they continue to pull poo poo like this. The amount of crap they've hyped, shown, deprecated, is about as much as they have left.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

D_Smart posted:

They aren't.

I was about 80/20 they were going to release something, but after that disaster of a live stream and adding even more feature creep that is somehow going to work with the currently buggy mess...yeah. The multiplayer portion is never going to come out (at least a shadow of what he promised) or remain basically what 2.0 is with a few bells and whistles added on. Because god knows what he is telling the designers after he saw it. I can't even imagine how much poo poo he wants redone.

Squadron 42....I am not sure. That's Roberts' baby and even with Rome burning I think he might try to release it in some fashion. Even if he makes it a choose your own adventure game or hires a graphic artist to make it an interactive comic book or leaves the motion capture woefully unfinished. Hell, he might just make into a loving audio book. People will see his 'genius' no matter what. Unless he is just that incompetent and he's screaming at people to rework something while the development gulag is on fire. So I'm still torn on that.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jst0rm posted:

I think as we get closer to the end of this whole thing we will see them dropping prices on poo poo to try and get people to give moar.

That will be a quick way to piss off a lot of the backers who paid big $$ for 'limited' stuff. It would be amazing to see.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I think we will get squadron 42 but it'll be a smaller edition than promised. Probably if we're lucky 6 hours of actual gameplay with 20 hours of mocap.

There's no way we ever get the PU.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Dapper Dan posted:

I was about 80/20 they were going to release something, but after that disaster of a live stream and adding even more feature creep that is somehow going to work with the currently buggy mess...yeah. The multiplayer portion is never going to come out (at least a shadow of what he promised) or remain basically what 2.0 is with a few bells and whistles added on. Because god knows what he is telling the designers after he saw it. I can't even imagine how much poo poo he wants redone.

Squadron 42....I am not sure. That's Roberts' baby and even with Rome burning I think he might try to release it in some fashion. Even if he makes it a choose your own adventure game or hires a graphic artist to make it an interactive comic book or leaves the motion capture woefully unfinished. Hell, he might just make into a loving audio book. People will see his 'genius' no matter what. Unless he is just that incompetent and he's screaming at people to rework something while the development gulag is on fire. So I'm still torn on that.

I'm guessing that he basically pulls everyone who's left at CIG into finishing his baby Squadron 42 at the expense of the game people actually care about with the logic of 'We'll earn enough money selling Squadron 42 to finish Star Citizen'.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

drat Dirty Ape posted:

That will be a quick way to piss off a lot of the backers who paid big $$ for 'limited' stuff. It would be amazing to see.

I know. Its going to be so much fun :)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Also if Sandi is one of my wingmen I'm gonna frag her right away just like I did maniac. It'll probably break the story because there's no way she would let herself get written off in episode 1

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I think you could argue he's both :v:.

In all seriousness, I definitely think that the probability that CIG is doing some shady/potentially illegal acts is very high. At the very least, there appears to have been mismanagement of funds and a bunch of customer rights violations. Even if Roberts isn't actively trying to scam people, if his company is breaking the law it puts his character into question.

That said, the live stream proves that if nothing else, Roberts is ignorant of his own product (and therefore incompetent). He genuinely seemed lost. My immediate question after watching that was if he's been creating this game for 3 4 5 years, how did he not know the UI was terrible? How did he not see all the bugs/crashes coming? Why can't he get the game working for more that 3 minutes?

Of greater concern is the lack of concern backers have upon seeing this travesty. I know, sunk cost fallacy and all that but surely this should give them cause for concern. Alas.

I'm looking forward to seeing CIG reap what it's sown but I can't help but feel bad for the backers. No matter how this ends, they are getting poo poo on.

Edit: vvvv Oh that poor fool :smith:.

Nyeehg fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xa7lb/please_tell_me_sc_isnt_going_to_adopt_a_payment/

:rolleyes:

• Locked thread