Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You'll be glad to know that Paper Jam follows the Sticker Star edict of "use as many traditional SMB characters and as few original characters as possible".

When I say I like TTYD it's because I like seeing bob-ombs with jobs and them doing generally goofy poo poo like the launch to the moon. It also had Puni's and those weird twilight dudes as well as mixing new designs into Toads and whatnot where Mario RPG had Toads in towns (and one in a volcano) and everything else Mario-related felt like a cameo at best.

I'm not asking for a "everything is original" or "Nothing is original" stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

When I say I like TTYD it's because I like seeing bob-ombs with jobs and them doing generally goofy poo poo like the launch to the moon. It also had Puni's and those weird twilight dudes as well as mixing new designs into Toads and whatnot where Mario RPG had Toads in towns (and one in a volcano) and everything else Mario-related felt like a cameo at best.

I'm not asking for a "everything is original" or "Nothing is original" stance.

I think that was just a joke on his part. Also a warning for anyone expecting too much out of Paper Jam.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

epitasis posted:

can i put nintendont on the same external as all my wii u games

Why would you want to do that when you can just keep it on the same SD card as all your other homebrew poo poo?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I like Paper Mario 64 more than TTYD simply because it did not have the terrible Puni dungeon.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Not a Children posted:

I like Paper Mario 64 more than TTYD simply because it did not have the terrible Puni dungeon.

The punis and their forest and their tree all own and are waaay better than Twilight Town or The Search For That Dumbass Bob-omb General

Alsoo PM64 has Flower Fields

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Oh god I completely forgot Flower Fields

Welp, that's it, SMRPG wins by default

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I never beat paper mario 64 but I got to the final boss and imo the worst parts of thousand year door were way worse than the worst parts of pm64. The general white hunt was just awful tedious padding and the backtracking around in the creepy steeple was really grating. I don't even remember much of flower fields except not liking the boss and I don't remember if shy guy's toybox was good or bad but I don't remember PM64 having much in the way of huge backtracking parts like thousand year door had

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The only bad area in SMRPG is Land's End and it's just kind of boring

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

raditts posted:

Why would you want to do that when you can just keep it on the same SD card as all your other homebrew poo poo?

i dont got an sd card reader

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

hey, droppin' in to say Super Mario RPG is a really good video game :)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Bowser's Inside Story is the best, OK cya.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

epitasis posted:

i dont got an sd card reader

How did you do the soft mod without an sd card reader? If you haven't done the soft mod yet, you're gonna need one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like Mario RPG more because of its soundtrack. I can't even remember any good tracks from Paper Mario.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like Mario RPG more because of its soundtrack. I can't even remember any good tracks from Paper Mario.

What the gently caress

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
super mario rpg is almost the worst in the entire "series". all of the paper Mario games are better except super paper mario and sticker star

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

What the gently caress

how many non-boss tracks do you remember

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It's kind of crazy that I can enjoy Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario, and Super Mario RPG all from the comfort and warmth of my own bed on these cold winter nights thanks to the Wii U Gamepad

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
pay your electricity bill and use your heater

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You'll be glad to know that Paper Jam follows the Sticker Star edict of "use as many traditional SMB characters and as few original characters as possible".

Why can't they just make a good Paper Mario game?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Sticker Star and now Paper Jam have made me go back and appreciate Super :smith:

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
So I haven't seen it mentioned yet, Best Buy's selling Nintendo funbux cards for 10% off, and has a buy one, get one 40% off offer on Nintendo-published games.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Looper posted:

how many non-boss tracks do you remember

Lots. The TTYD soundtrack is one of the best of all time

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Regardless, simply going off how many songs you remember is a terrible judge of quality.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aurora posted:

Sticker Star and now Paper Jam have made me go back and appreciate Super :smith:

Its not bad is it?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Honestly I never thought it was bad, I just liked PM as the RPG system it was rather than the platformer/rpg thing Super was.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Lots. The TTYD soundtrack is one of the best of all time

Wrong game

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

fozzy fosbourne posted:

You can get both Bayonetta 1 and 2 on the eshop and if you buy 1 first than 2 is discounted so they end up being $60 total.
Really? Cool, I'll have to try buying them that way.

Do they take up a lot of space on the hard-drive? If so, can I uninstall them and re-download them later without having to pay for them again?

Zonekeeper posted:

This also works the other way, though I'm not sure why you'd buy them in the opposite order.
To be honest, I already own Bayonetta 1 on PS3, but from what I've read, the PS3 version was not really well optimized (I finished the game, but I remember it had some pretty bad load times here and there), so I'd like to play through the original again with some improved visuals/load times.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Do they take up a lot of space on the hard-drive? If so, can I uninstall them and re-download them later without having to pay for them again?

Yes and yes

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aurora posted:

Honestly I never thought it was bad, I just liked PM as the RPG system it was rather than the platformer/rpg thing Super was.

At least Super Paper Mario still has terrific writing and music, even if the gameplay is meh.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Looper posted:

Wrong game

The Toad Town music i remember being good.

E: I think i can still remember the shy guys toy box jingle in the bacj of my mind, like a long repressed memory

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Maybe I'm a broken human being, but I'll never get why people like TTYD that much. Its padding is awful, and almost every chapter makes you go back and forth all the time. It's like Flower Fields from the original, but more linear. There's a door, but who has the key? Right, the guy at the beginning of the chapter! Oh, but his key is bent. Maybe another guy at the beginning can fix it! It's insanely charming, but holy poo poo it would benefit from being shorter.
Mario RPG was weird, but at least you were constantly moving forward.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

It had an rear end in a top hat baby Yoshi as a sidekick. That's why.

E: And I liked the Luigi subplot and his sidekicks hating him.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

TTYD's presentation and fights as a whole are a lot more stellar.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Valatar posted:

So I haven't seen it mentioned yet, Best Buy's selling Nintendo funbux cards for 10% off, and has a buy one, get one 40% off offer on Nintendo-published games.

Oh nice. Gamers Club Unlocked probably stacks with this, FYI (For Ya'lls Infomation.) Why didn't autocorrect do anything to Infomation? What is that?

I guess I'll finally pick up Super Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World, even though Christmas shopping has me super loving broke and I'll catch an earful for spending money I don't have but hey credit cards. Last time I stacked sales with GCU, it was applied last, so... (60+(50*.6))*.8 is... Still like $70 before tax. gently caress. Almost like a BOGO, I guess.

Edit: sale ends tomorrow, 12/19. Also, in case anyone else is getting Yoshi's Woolly World and doesn't have GCU, they will price match it to Target's current $34.99 before discounts.

enojy fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 18, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I have really enjoyed all of the Mario RPGs I've played (even Sticker Star/Partners in Time)

Maybe I have low standards or something

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Partners in Time is the only one I've completed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

I have really enjoyed all of the Mario RPGs I've played (even Sticker Star/Partners in Time)

Maybe I have low standards or something

Same, except I never played Sticker Star

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Superstar Saga was one of my childhood favorites, but I could never find a copy of Partners in time until I got it online last year. Just was really underwhelming. Didnt even finish the game, maybe i should go back and do that. Idk, having items as all the special moves instead of powers with special points felt really lame, and the world was just a level selecter and was all disjointed

I didnt like it, never played any of the other handheld Mario RPGs, but Im getting Paper Jam. Im gonna cry if it disappoints me again.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Geno Woods had the catchiest music out of all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ratbert90 posted:

Geno Woods had the catchiest music out of all of them.

kiss my grits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ1f6BEkn_g

• Locked thread