Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

All the talk of season 1 got me thinking the DVD of it would be perfect for my mom for christmas. She loves thrillers and murder mystery and crime shows, this'll be right up her alley.

I gave my mom season one for her birthday on sale from Amazon for $10, but the regular price is only $15.

I fully intend on borrowing it from her. I think BBT does the commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Aphrodite posted:

It's not like Patrick Wilson is ever going to look like Keith Carradine either.

Maybe not "look like" but goddamn did he have his vocalizations and mannerisms down perfectly. His performance was really drat good this season.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I'm thinking Patrick Wilson, Kirsten Dunst, and Bokeem Woodbine should all win awards.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Stairmaster posted:

too bad it was based off a real story...

I didn't see anyone asking for verification on this but what story is this based off of? Please tell me this isn't just a "It says it's a true story right at the beginning of the show!" type thing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

frenton posted:

I didn't see anyone asking for verification on this but what story is this based off of? Please tell me this isn't just a "It says it's a true story right at the beginning of the show!" type thing.

That was, in fact, the joke.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

regy rusty's actually full of poo poo and deliberately ignoring the great UFO abduction in '79

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm smart heh

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

frenton posted:

I'm smart heh

Smarter than that Japanese chick who froze to death looking for the money from the movie...

In deference to Poe's Law, yes I have the internet and it's not a real story.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like the thought that someone would look for the buried cash and not think "but how would they know that part is true in the first place if they didn't find it".

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

centaurtainment posted:

Smarter than that Japanese chick who froze to death looking for the money from the movie...

In deference to Poe's Law, yes I have the internet and it's not a real story.
The movie based on the false story that recently came out is pretty good but yeah, they took some huge liberties compared to what actually happened in that too.

The only reason the story originally started is because a cop she asked for directions made it up.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 18, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Noah Hawley has said that because of the "true story" conceit a season of Fargo will always be a couple of years behind the actual date.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

On the theme of veteran/non-veteran, are there other characters on the show who were likely veterans but it wasn't stated directly? It may be inferred when comparing characters who have the cool competence, instead of excessive bluster.

My guesses (my apologies if their statuses were stated on the show):

Veterans:
Bear
Older blue uniformed cop at Sioux Falls
Kitchen Bros (maybe from an Israeli war?)

Not Veterans:
Buffalo guy
Dodd
Brad Garrett

I'm not sure about Mike, but I lean towards no.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

centaurtainment posted:

Martin Freeman's fluctuates in quality in the first season. Seems like a hard accent for a lot of actors to pull off consistently; that the Coen Bros got all of the participants in Fargo: The Movie to do theirs so well is part of why that film works to the degree that it does.

some of that was due to a lot of local actors being cast as minor roles in the film. frances mcdormand said she spent a lot of time talking to the two stripper characters (who are mn natives) to make sure she was saying things correctly. and the coens are from here, which I'm sure helped. the show is being filmed in like, alberta though, and while there is some overlap with the canadian accent, it certainly isn't a substitute for the real thing

basically what im saying is that noah hawley should hire me as a technical advisor. no dammit, don't put any pine trees in any gerhardt or fargo scenes, it's all pancake-flat farm fields out there! grumble grumble

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Illinois Smith posted:

The movie based on the false story that recently came out is pretty good but yeah, they took some huge liberties compared to what actually happened in that too.

The only reason the story originally started is because a cop she asked for directions made it up.

I love that that's an actual movie that exists. What a world we live in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's pretty ballsy to end a season with a real, no kidding entire-episode epilogue/denouement. Even though I suspected that's what the finale would be (since we'd already seen the Massacre at Sioux Falls) it still impressed the poo poo out of me.

Just absolutely top notch head to toe. Better than season 1 even.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

precision posted:

It's pretty ballsy to end a season with a real, no kidding entire-episode epilogue/denouement. Even though I suspected that's what the finale would be (since we'd already seen the Massacre at Sioux Falls) it still impressed the poo poo out of me.
Isn't that something a lot of shows are doing now though? Put the season's biggest action scene / plot developments in the second-to-last episode, then have the finale deal with the fallout from it. It just stands out more here because the seasons are self-contained.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Illinois Smith posted:

holy poo poo how have i not heard of this movie???? this looks amazing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Illinois Smith posted:

Isn't that something a lot of shows are doing now though? Put the season's biggest action scene / plot developments in the second-to-last episode, then have the finale deal with the fallout from it. It just stands out more here because the seasons are self-contained.

Yeah, I guess it's because you just knew that episode was the end of the story. When other shows do it (like Game of Thrones) it's not so ballsy because you know it's coming back.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

You can stream it on Amazon Prime!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The second half gets slightly bogged down with indie movie bullshit but the woman from Pacific Rim is really good in the main role.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Whoa I'm totally going to!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Did not know that, thanks. Been wanting to watch that flick.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

precision posted:

Just absolutely top notch head to toe. Better than season 1 even.

I think Ed getting murdered counts as more than an epilogue

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Did everyone in the story get close to the exact karma coming to them? That's rare...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MrBuddyLee posted:

Did everyone in the story get close to the exact karma coming to them? That's rare...

Simone didn't deserve what she got. Neither did the South Dakota cops if you count them as characters.

Also, Betsy and Hank?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Steve2911 posted:

Simone didn't deserve what she got.

Going against your crime syndicate/family is an absolute reason to get got. Deserves got nothing to do with it.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

jfood posted:

Going against your crime syndicate/family is an absolute reason to get got. Deserves got nothing to do with it.

Snitches get stitches. She got Adriana'd hard and deserved it for sure.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

jfood posted:

Deserves got nothing to do with it.

:clint:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Do we feel sympathetic for Ed?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Simone deserved getting shot quietly in the woods. She went against her family and wasn't even discreet about it. If Dodd had been the one to figure it out (okay, that's a stretch) her death would've been way worse.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

centaurtainment posted:

Snitches get stitches. She got Adriana'd hard and deserved it for sure.

Awful.

The thing Simone did wrong is being born into a bad family full of bad people.

stev fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 19, 2015

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Tears don't get shed for a mafia princess who fails at the game.

She didn't go to the police, she went to a serial killer. Bear was far more kind than he needed to be.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yes they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Steve2911 posted:

Awful.

The thing Simone did wrong is being born into a bad family full of bad people.

John Wayne Gacy got beaten as a child, so he definitely didn't deserve to be punished for his crimes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Reminds me of the people who (Breaking Bad) called for Jesse to be killed horribly after telling the cops everything.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Yes, lining up your entire family to be executed by the mob is just like reporting them to the police.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

imo simone and charlie didn't "deserve" their eventual fates. neither of them seemed to have an interest in the family business aside from vague notions of family loyalty and being brought up in that environment. and as dumb youths, they really just became collateral damage in a mess they didn't create or ask for

now that i think about it, i feel like bear is either an unsympathetic or a tragic character, depending on how you look at it. tragic if you consider him a soft-hearted guy who only does what he does because he feels trapped in it (cf. his talking about Charlie maybe going legit). unsympathetic if you consider him to be a person of some conscience who didn't make the effort to get himself or his kid out of crime.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I definitely found Bear to be both sympathetic and tragic. He also delivered my favorite line of the season "We'll be together again. On high." Gave me chills.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

sout posted:

Do we feel sympathetic for Ed?

A little. Most of his misdeeds were misguided acts of self-defense. The road to hell is paved with good intentions though.

Steve2911 posted:

Simone didn't deserve what she got. Neither did the South Dakota cops if you count them as characters.

Also, Betsy and Hank?

The South Dakota cops manipulated 2 bumpkins into a situation that would probably kill them and they were downright aggressive with their tactics to that end, their deaths were poetic to that regard. Poetic may not be the same as deserved though.

Hank did end up surviving an assault rifle round at close range no worse for wear (and Ed bled out in a meat locker next to the other cows) while Betsy's arc revolved around Schrodinger's drug, an arc that resolved in her favor even though giving this shotgun-wielding firebrand a fighting chance might not affect the final outcome, just the spirit of it. In comparison though Peggy will survive, she's become a literal prisoner when her biggest fear was being a metaphorical one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The thing about the flying suacer in ep 9 is that no one will ever talk about it with each other. Like, all the gearhardt gang is gone, so bear can never have a beer and talk about it with someone, plus he is dead.

And lou isn't going to tal;k to any of them again, except peggy but he doesn't know she saw them.

Hanzee will never talk about it same as bear wouldn't, and because he's starting a new life.

• Locked thread