Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Finally got one of the $35 Kindle Fires delivered - should I be rooting this? I'm not the most pleased with being unable to awful app, youtube app, etc on it. Any suggestion on a straightforward guide of what to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
This should be what you want.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mastershakeman posted:

Finally got one of the $35 Kindle Fires delivered - should I be rooting this? I'm not the most pleased with being unable to awful app, youtube app, etc on it. Any suggestion on a straightforward guide of what to do?

Yeah, as DemonMage said, no need to root. Just run that batch file from that XDA tutorial (after making sure your drivers are good) and get the Google Play store on the Fire. I personally was surprised at how well the tablet performs, despite the price (which I think is also worth it at its normal $50 price point).

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

teagone posted:

Yeah, as DemonMage said, no need to root. Just run that batch file from that XDA tutorial (after making sure your drivers are good) and get the Google Play store on the Fire. I personally was surprised at how well the tablet performs, despite the price (which I think is also worth it at its normal $50 price point).

I rooted to clear out a bunch of the system apps to make more room on the insanely small main storage. And to be able to use an app called GL to SD(only one i found that works) to ghost KOTOR to a SD card. I seriously can't remember any tech being as amazingly good as this thing for 35 mcchickens.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah the $35 fire tablet plays Hearthstone only a little bit worse than my Nexus 7 2013. Of course it doesn't look as nice since the screen isn't as high resolution, but it's still very impressive for the price. I imagine Amazon's taking a small hit on the units so they can sell advertising on the lock screens and be assured you'll buy some stuff from them.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a Fire for $50 at Best Buy the other day for a relative. There were none on the floor, and at customer service the guy said they had a shitload in back "but weren't allowed to put them out yet". So I'm guessing Best Buy will have them on sale very soon for less than $50.

Edit: just saw the Best Buy ad that's coming out tomorrow. It doesn't list prices, but says "Fire tablets on sale - regular price $49.99-$99.99" and in the fine print says "minimum discount $20" - so I'm guessing it'll be on sale for $29.99 this week?

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 12, 2015

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

teagone posted:

Yep, it worked great.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

dissss posted:

Such as?
Lenovo Tab 2, Xperia Z2/Z4, Kindle Fires, ZenPad, Galaxy Note and Tab Pro, plus lots from lovely no-name manufacturers like Kobo and Dragon Touch

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Yep you're right, thanks

Comic books are 1.53:1 which makes 1.6:1 (16:10) the best choice to read them. There are still plenty of tablets sporting that ratio. gently caress 4:3 and gently caress the iPad :colbert:

Actually 4:3 is the best because you can read two pages at once like a real comic.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I also just got my $35 Fire, is there an easy way to use my usb wireless mouse with it? Do I just need an OTG cable? I haven't rooted it yet but can.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is there much of a difference between a Kindle Fire HDX and the new 8? Just from looking at the specs it seems like I'd be getting an addition camera and microSD storage but I'm not sure that's worth $130 to me.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How good is Amazon with providing stock OTA updates for their Fire tablets? Like are Fire tablets from 3 years ago still getting updated to the latest version of Fire OS, or are they abandoned?

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 17, 2015

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Looking for a recommendation for a tablet! Comics, pdfs, web browsing, and that's pretty much it. Maybe gaming/movies for travel but it's not that important. Nice screen res is a plus. I'm thinking something relatively cheap (< $200). Maybe the Galaxy Tab Pro?

Virtue fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 18, 2015

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
With a relatively low budget, is there any particular reason I shouldn't get an Asus ZenPad S 8? Another option is the regular ZenPad 10. The increased size might be better as we'll be using it at home, but since we will be mostly using it for e-mail and browsing (and not for video) I guess the 4:3 display on the S 8 is the better choice here in favor of screen size?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Virtue posted:

I'm thinking something relatively cheap (< $200).
Nexus 7 2013 can be found pretty cheap on eBay and such and still works well. It's probably done with getting updates though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sioux posted:

With a relatively low budget, is there any particular reason I shouldn't get an Asus ZenPad S 8? Another option is the regular ZenPad 10. The increased size might be better as we'll be using it at home, but since we will be mostly using it for e-mail and browsing (and not for video) I guess the 4:3 display on the S 8 is the better choice here in favor of screen size?

I picked up an s 8 earlier this month and I love it. The only (arguable) downside is rooting is kind of a bitch and there isn't much of a development scene for it so nobody is putting out custom ROMs, if that kind of thing matters to you at all.

It's nice and lightweight and the screen is gorgeous.

Virtue posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a tablet! Comics, pdfs, web browsing, and that's pretty much it. Maybe gaming/movies for travel but it's not that important. Nice screen res is a plus. I'm thinking something relatively cheap (< $200). Maybe the Galaxy Tab Pro?

This is literally all I do with my tablet, the screen is great for reading comic books.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 18, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Sioux posted:

The Zenpad 10 only has a 1280x800 screen, which would be pretty low for a 10" tablet. The Zenpad S 8 has decent reviews (and 3x the pixels of the 10) and has been on sale on Amazon lately for $160 for the lower spec'd version. 4:3 was a turnoff for me, but that's subjective. The Dell Venue 8 7840 has been occasionally on sale for below $200 at the Dell Outlet, but you have to watch deal sites like a hawk. The OLED screen is amazing though and my biggest complaint with mine is the thin bezels which make it somewhat hard to hold (a case helps).

Tunga posted:

Nexus 7 2013 can be found pretty cheap on eBay and such and still works well. It's probably done with getting updates though.

The N7 2013 was a great tablet in 2013, but it's 30 months old at this point and I wouldn't trust anything you'd find on eBay to last for very long. Something like the Zenpad S 8 can be found brand new for $160 at the moment and is much better spec'd (better screen, processor that's twice as fast, etc.) and comes with an actual warranty. Also, an 7" tablet is probably too small for comics and PDF's as well.

EugeneJ posted:

How good is Amazon with providing stock OTA updates for their Fire tablets? Like are Fire tablets from 3 years ago still getting updated to the latest version of Fire OS, or are they abandoned?

I haven't kept up with them really recently, but they were terrible with updates for the first few years. The first couple generations never got a single significant software update.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The N7 2013 was a great tablet in 2013, but it's 30 months old at this point and I wouldn't trust anything you'd find on eBay to last for very long.
I meant new ones, you can still find them. Though I live in the UK so everything I buy has a warranty and this may not be good advice if you live in the Land Of Freedom where consumer laws are terrible.

Having said that, your other points may be correct for that usage and that ZenPad thing doesn't look like a bad deal. Shield tablet is another reasonable option but probably out of budget.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

At $199 you can get a new Nvidia Shield Tablet K1.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

JayKay posted:

At $199 you can get a new Nvidia Shield Tablet K1.

Hm I need to look into this. I thought it was just a steam streaming tool but I guess that wasn't the whole story.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Having got the Kindle Fire for £35 and rooting it then putting a new launcher on it it makes a drat good 7 inch tablet for that much cash.

Plus I get to get some of that money back from Amazon I have funneled to them

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Since 2013 N7 was mentioned as a decent reader but this specific deal hasn't, here's $130 for 2013 N7 tablet + qi stand + dock.
http://store.asus.com/us/item/201512AM030002117

Straight from Asus USA, and apparently neither refurbed nor reboxed. Good price on a good (older) nexus.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

sweart gliwere posted:

Since 2013 N7 was mentioned as a decent reader but this specific deal hasn't, here's $130 for 2013 N7 tablet + qi stand + dock.
http://store.asus.com/us/item/201512AM030002117

Straight from Asus USA, and apparently neither refurbed nor reboxed. Good price on a good (older) nexus.

It might be refurb, only a 90-Day warranty.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

When you say the N7 won't get anymore updates does that mean it won't be able to run newer versions of android? How big of a deal is this?

I looked at the Nvidia shield but after a bit of googling people are speculating about another model being released sometime next year. Any truth to that?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

There's a very good chance of a new Shield being released for 2016 at some point.

And the Nexus 2013 is 2.5 years old at this point. Google only says 2 or 3 years of update support I think, so we might get Android 7 but I wouldn't count on it. It's a great device, but it's old by technology standards. I just wish there was a good Nexus successor for it (larger is fine but the N9 is very meh).

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Maybe I'll sit and wait then. Or impulse buy the $50 fire.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Virtue posted:

Maybe I'll sit and wait then. Or impulse buy the $50 fire.

It's only $50. All reviews indicate it's worth $50

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

GoodBee posted:

It's only $50. All reviews indicate it's worth $50

But what if it goes on saaaaaaaaaaaaaale?!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Virtue posted:

But what if it goes on saaaaaaaaaaaaaale?!

Then it's definitely worth $35?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Honestly if you wait long enough, everything's going to have a replacement. The Shield is a good buy as is, particularly if you like gaming, so don't worry about a 2016 replacement.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DemonMage posted:

There's a very good chance of a new Shield being released for 2016 at some point.

And the Nexus 2013 is 2.5 years old at this point. Google only says 2 or 3 years of update support I think, so we might get Android 7 but I wouldn't count on it. It's a great device, but it's old by technology standards. I just wish there was a good Nexus successor for it (larger is fine but the N9 is very meh).

Google says 18 months is the minimum you should expect updates. Anything beyond that is icing. I wouldn't expect a Nexus 7 to get Android N, though it's not impossible.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I just got a Kindle Fire, the budget, 7" screen model. It's really good but I have one major issue with it: it doesn't remember my reading speed between sessions, so I can't check ahead of time how long it's gonna take me to read a chapter. Is there any way to get it to remember? I poked around all the options and found nothing so I imagine not but maybe someone knows something :ohdear:

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

What seems to be the consensus choice for a good Android tablet with a screen larger that 8 inches? I'm on the road a lot and I was looking for something that's good for reading and some media consumption. I was thinking about getting a PIxel C but it's a bit pricy for what you get. Thoughts?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Shield K1 is like 99% of being Nexus 7 2015, nVidia has been pretty good about keeping things fairly stock and getting updates out.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The K1 looks like a fantastic deal for 199$ (or €). My only question is that if I can use all the streaming features with a xbox360 pad instead of nvidia's one.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The Shield K1 is getting the Marshmellow OTA right now. Nvidia says that Shield Tablets Wifi/LTE should be getting Marshmellow early 2016.

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011
I have a Shield K1 and it is exactly what I was looking for coming from a Nexus 7 2012(!). It is 95% stock android for those who like that and NVIDIA's additions are pretty unobtrusive. It's a hell of a deal for $200, considering I paid way more for my Nexus 7 when it came out.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Wait, why did you pay way more for you Nexus 7? The 2012 launched at $200 for the 8GB or $250 for the 16. And then it dropped to $200 for the 16 when the 32GB was released for $250.

I mean the Shield K1 is a solid tablet from all reports, it really is almost a Nexus successor.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Just installed the Fire OS 5 developer preview on my Fire HD 6 because I got sick of waiting. Seems to work great except for the camera; the first time I opened the app it looked fine, but after I took my first picture, the rear camera is now massively underexposed in still mode. Front camera works as expected, as does the rear camera in video mode. Anyone else installed the DP on their HD 6 and noticed this? The camera is pretty terrible anyway so it's not like this is ruining my experience or anything, but it's very strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone got a recommendation for a 10" tablet? I was looking at getting the Lenovo TAB 2 for my mother since her Nexus 10 is giving out. Trying to keep it under $200 and this was about the best I found.