Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Grand Moff Hissa there is in a Professor X hover chair because his legs got eaten or melted or something when he and Trioculus decided to take a break from their hunt for the glove of Darth Vader so they could go and poach endangered wildlife on a planet they happened to be passing.

Right. So, the thing that really kicked off the EU in the 1990s was Tim Zahn's Heir to the Empire / Thrawn trilogy. However, the man who probably had the biggest impact on what the EU looked liked in the decade was a guy called Kevin J. Anderson, who wrote several novels and comics but also had a fair amount of influence as an editor and contributor to the reference books that defined a lot of the EU at a time when it was the only new Star Wars there was.

One of his most notorious novels, in many ways the apotheosis of every cliché about the Star Wars EU in the Bantam Spectra era, was Darksaber. Yes. Darksaber. In this novel, we meet Durga the Hutt. He schemes to steal the Death Star plans and build his own superweapon in the asteroid field from ESB - the Darksaber. Because it's shaped like a giant lighsaber. Except he's evil, so it's called the Darksaber. When the New Republic finds out, they send a strike team commanded by General Crix Madine (one of the officers who briefed the Rebels on the planned attack on the Death Star in ROTJ) to investigate and sabotage the station. He is captured and shot dead (he is, in fact, the first named movie character to be killed off in an EU story). Only it's a massive shaggy dog story because the space jellyfish Durga is using to build the thing are incompetent, and as soon as he tries to pilot it out of the asteroid field the main gun fails and it gets smashed to pieces. All this happens independently of anything the heroes actually do.

Meanwhile, Luke is accompanying his girlfriend du jour, Callista (who is the disembodied mind of an Old Republic Jedi that Luke fell in love with while she was trapped in the computer core of another Imperial superweapon called the Eye of Palpatine for 30 years reincarnated in the body of one of Luke's Jedi students) to locations from the movies where he felt a strong connection to the Force to help her re-establish her own lost Force sensitivity. He takes her to Hoth, where he escaped the wampa cave and saw Obi-Wan's spirit telling him to go and train with Yoda, when they find a party there to hunt wampas. Suddenly, they're attacked by a massive horde of wampas, who are under the command of the one Luke dismembered back in Episode V, which has apparently been waiting all this time to take revenge.

There's a third plot where one of Anderson's other recurring characters, Admiral Daala (Grand Moff Tarkin's ex-girlfriend, who is supposed to be a military genius but is actually brain-damaged) tries to use her fleet to attack Luke's Jedi academy, only for his students to use some kind of Force amplifying technique to Force push a dozen orbiting star destroyers to the far side of the system. There's some other stuff but it's pretty dull by comparison.

And people wonder why Disney wanted rid of this stuff. :v:

Oh, Darksaber. You so cray. So many memories came flooding back as I read that recap.

Wasn't Daala actually shown to have made her way up the ranks due to....um, sexy times?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

redbackground posted:

Wasn't Daala actually shown to have made her way up the ranks due to....um, sexy times?

I'm always surprised at how often that trope shows up in nerd fiction. It shows a very sad idea of... well, pretty much everything about women and the world we live in.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Darth Traya best Darth 24/7 :dealwithit:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Isn't she the one who's entire gimmick is saying "Star Wars' basic concepts suck and if you believe in them you're stupid"?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If it's the one from KOTOR II then no.

I don't remember her Darth name.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Darth Traya is Kreia, and yeah, she's pretty dumb.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Kreia is the only good Sith, besides the Emperor.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't read a whole lot of EU stuff, thankfully, but I did read the Tales of the Bounty Hunters anthology book, where we learn that IG-88 was actually multiple droids and they eventually uploaded their consciousness into the second Death Star intending to take over the galaxy. Good thing there's no way the Rebellion could blow another one up!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Well, if you enjoy all that crazy EU stuff, we have the old thread archived here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3296954

Or you can check out my archive of at least my stuff, and I think I'm gonna get around to updating it with the others soon: http://libraryforlorn.blogspot.ca/

Really, the only things most people wanted kept were Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn. Because so much of the EU ended up batshit.

Like the evil alien warlord who took an acid bath whenever he touched a human, then when he got really excited he popped his boner, but at the same time Luke was searching for his mother with some weirdo Force hippie chick, and Leia decided that the definition of "diplomacy" was to blow the poo poo out of anything...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Thrawn was good. Keep Thrawn.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'll agree to that if the stupid "I can study a couple pieces of art and suddenly understand that species military tactics" bit gets dropped.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wouldn't mind if they made Shadows of the Empire a movie, just... take some of the creepy/embarrassing poo poo out of it. If they really go through with all the Boba Fett and Rogue 1 and Yoda movies, it's probably pretty possible.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'll agree to that if the stupid "I can study a couple pieces of art and suddenly understand that species military tactics" bit gets dropped.

Fully agreed, if we can keep those tractor beam operator scenes. Shake on it?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Which tractor beam operator scenes? Is that the part where Luke fires a torpedo into a tractor beam thats sucking his X-wing in? Was that the Thrawn Trilogy?

I barely remember this poo poo, I read these books like... 15 years ago?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Which tractor beam operator scenes? Is that the part where Luke fires a torpedo into a tractor beam thats sucking his X-wing in? Was that the Thrawn Trilogy?

I barely remember this poo poo, I read these books like... 15 years ago?

from the wiki:

quote:

During his campaign against the New Republic, a tractor beam operator, Cris Pieterson, aboard the Chimaera was responsible for allowing Luke Skywalker to escape capture. Thrawn investigated the incident and found a defiant Pieterson disrespectfully refusing to claim responsibility for the incident, referring Thrawn to his commanding ensign. Thrawn summarily had the man executed at his post in a rather brutal fashion by Rukh, and informed the ensign that he was free to train the next replacement.

On the other hand, when Skywalker escaped a similar trap again, he rewarded the new tractor beam operator, Rejlii Mithel, with a promotion to Lieutenant because the man had employed creative thinking in his attempt to capture Skywalker. In addition, Thrawn encouraged his senior officers to express their own ideas and gave them reasoned consideration rather than ignore any outside ideas, as many an Imperial commander had done during the height of the Empire. The sharp contrast between Thrawn's style and that of megalomaniac and sadistic Imperial leaders heightened Thrawn's ability to lead.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Small note: Pellaeon was cool too, as an old-school military man, and goes from Old Republic to Empire to I believe the New Republic. His sympathetic portrayal seems worthwhile since it's silly to just say something as big as The Empire is a structure only of outright evil people. He has beliefs and responsibilities that make him Imperial, but he's pragmatic and free-thinking enough (possibly some of Thrawn's influence) to not want to repeat old mistakes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Small note: Pellaeon was cool too, as an old-school military man, and goes from Old Republic to Empire to I believe the New Republic. His sympathetic portrayal seems worthwhile since it's silly to just say something as big as The Empire is a structure only of outright evil people. He has beliefs and responsibilities that make him Imperial, but he's pragmatic and free-thinking enough (possibly some of Thrawn's influence) to not want to repeat old mistakes.
I think by the end of whatever mass of EU stuff I had read, Pallaeon was my favorite. Agreed on your points there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

Oh, Darksaber. You so cray. So many memories came flooding back as I read that recap.

Daala eventually becomes the head of state in the New Republic.

This is a bit like Heydrich surviving the Second World War and becoming prime minister of the United Kingdom in the 1980s after spending the preceding 20 years leading an one and off guerilla war against it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't she the one who's entire gimmick is saying "Star Wars' basic concepts suck and if you believe in them you're stupid"?

Haha, no. That's not what she was saying at all.

Okay, it's like this. Traya is Sith Yoda. No matter what you choose to do, she tries to make you feel bad about it. And how do most people react when they're constantly needled by Sith Gramma? They get angry. A Sith's power comes from emotion, and anger is the quickest way to get results, as Yoda said. Kreia doesn't care what you believe, as long as you do it with passion. That is the only way you can save the galaxy from the REAL threat, the MMO Meanace hey dawg I heard you like MMOs and Star Wars right so we put a Star War in your MMO so you can Star War while you MMO.:v:*

Uh, getting back on track...

No matter what you do in KOTOR 2 Darth Traya wins, because at that point you (the player) are, as a result of her training, a powerful Sith who does what they want and doesn't give a crap what anyone else thinks about it. She only cares about results, not your precious feels, and now your guy gets results instead of (just) feeling sad about murdering a planet.

I mean, from a certain point of view.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Kreia is the only good Sith, besides the Emperor.

This guy. This guy gets it.

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah he was pretty good.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah. He was all right too.

*I hate it when they ruin a perfectly good single player game series by turning it into an MMO. it all started with Ultima... not virtuous, EA. Not virtuous.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

By the way there's a huge old SW omni sale on. There was a broader one day sale on Monday, I got the Thrawn trilogy comicization for like 3 bucks.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If they're part of the sale, the old Marvel comics, the old newspaper strips, and Dark Empire are Squizzle-endorsed Best Reads.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Squizzle posted:

If they're part of the sale, the old Marvel comics, the old newspaper strips, and Dark Empire are Squizzle-endorsed Best Reads.

But get the omnibus fir the marvel comics. They are nearly half the price as the singles. Unless the singles have some benefit I don't know about.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

But get the omnibus fir the marvel comics. They are nearly half the price as the singles. Unless the singles have some benefit I don't know about.

Not digitally, but in print, the singles are easier to rub all over your own naked body, or mine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is the recolouring in the Marvel omnibuses especially bad? I think I've seen some samples that didn't look great but I'm not sure whether they were from the omni.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is the recolouring in the Marvel omnibuses especially bad? I think I've seen some samples that didn't look great but I'm not sure whether they were from the omni.

No, the giant rabbit is supposed to be green.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Discendo Vox posted:

I like the whole idea of the Chiss. A whole race of militarists that are obsessed with defense. I also liked his second Pellereon, sort of a Bismarkian character. He also showed that the empire did have people who just felt like they were doing their duty rather than all being evil. I'd say Piet in the original trilogy was as close as we got.

I do not want to turn this into a big spoilery discussion about The Force Awakens, but did anything at all from Shattered Empire appear in it? I didn't see a single hint of it unless Rey's parents are the pilots from it

I am also curious on how many spin offs we are going to see from it as well. I know Dark Horse would publish a comic that told you the important back story of everyone down to the Gonk Droid.

Oh and Daala, yea, it is heavily implied that she got to where she was because she was banging the boss, but they do have a decent amount of implication that once she did get Tarkin's attention, he saw that she was actually brilliant and should have been promoted.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I do not want to turn this into a big spoilery discussion about The Force Awakens, but did anything at all from Shattered Empire appear in it? I didn't see a single hint of it unless Rey's parents are the pilots from it

The pilots are Poe's parents.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Carteret posted:

The pilots are Poe's parents.

Ah, i should have realized that. That's fine really.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I am also curious on how many spin offs we are going to see from it as well. I know Dark Horse would publish a comic that told you the important back story of everyone down to the Gonk Droid.

Nah, Dark Horse wouldn't have done that. That was more the province of the Bantam Spectra short story anthologies, Star Wars Insider magazine articles and the West End RPG campaign guides.

However, I am given to understand that they might be published a book which looks at the backstory of some of the background alien characters who appear in TFA.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nah, Dark Horse wouldn't have done that. That was more the province of the Bantam Spectra short story anthologies, Star Wars Insider magazine articles and the West End RPG campaign guides.

However, I am given to understand that they might be published a book which looks at the backstory of some of the background alien characters who appear in TFA.

I could have sworn I'd seen SW comics that were all about minor background characters. But you're right the books did that all the time.

They did publish a lot of extreme background comics, like the stories about the Ancient Sith and stuff. I remember all those Sith Lords tombs you rob in the KOTOR games being from DHC Star Wars books.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

twistedmentat posted:

I could have sworn I'd seen SW comics that were all about minor background characters. But you're right the books did that all the time.

They did publish a lot of extreme background comics, like the stories about the Ancient Sith and stuff. I remember all those Sith Lords tombs you rob in the KOTOR games being from DHC Star Wars books.

Yeah, those comics weren't too bad, actually. Especially the Jedi Master who was literally a floating brain in a jar.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

As someone who spent the last 6 weeks reading every single Dark Horse Star Wars comic ever published, I can tell you there's a lot less stupid poo poo than there is in the EU novels. And most the dumbass stuff from the 90s is at least charmingly janky, which is more than can be said from the novels of the same time - I'm looking at you, Kevin J Anderson.

Dark Empire is still pretty awful though.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

zoux posted:

So I'm thinking Lenlil Yu should just go ahead and take over the regular ongoing.

Good news then. He's doing the third arc of Star Wars.

Also looks like Kanan ends on issue 12.

Edit: found the tweet from Greg Weisman.

https://twitter.com/greg_weisman/status/676974154562826241

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 20, 2015

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

cptn_dr posted:

Dark Empire is still pretty awful though.

...You're alright in my book.
:hfive:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

...You're alright in my book.
:hfive:

I've been introducing my friends to the fun that is Spliffy-P, Dank Lord of the Sith.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 20, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It'd be nice if Star Wars could take the approach almost every other franchise has taken with different mediums and just say that a particular show or comic is its own continuity with no impact on anything. The Ninja Turtles have been doing fine with that ruleset.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

cptn_dr posted:

I've been introducing my friends to the fun that is Spliffy-P.

Have a higher quality version of him then!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Have a higher quality version of him then!

Christmas came early this year!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cptn_dr posted:

Christmas came early this year!

Life Day. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak posted:

It'd be nice if Star Wars could take the approach almost every other franchise has taken with different mediums and just say that a particular show or comic is its own continuity with no impact on anything. The Ninja Turtles have been doing fine with that ruleset.

Where do TMNT rank on the monthly sales chart? Not number one? I think Star Wars should just keep doing what it's doing.