Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

sigmachiev posted:

Im about midway through filling up post its and I was wondering about what I should be prioritizing in terms of unlocked items. I know a couple have chimed in on this in the past but i cant for the life of me find the page(s). Anyone have advice and maybe it'd be helpful to add to the OP? Much obliged.

it's a pretty simple list: unlock the d6, then unlock all of lilith's items

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

HenryEx posted:

Have you tried the seed XXXX XXXL

Does that work? I know LABY RNTH forces the curse on all floors but, as mentioned, it's not the same.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I was just asking, really

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

sigmachiev posted:

Im about midway through filling up post its and I was wondering about what I should be prioritizing in terms of unlocked items. I know a couple have chimed in on this in the past but i cant for the life of me find the page(s). Anyone have advice and maybe it'd be helpful to add to the OP? Much obliged.

I've been looking for a list too but my personal experiences point to these as being the best albeit not necessarily the easiest unlocks to get:

Utility:

Blank Card (Cathedral with Eden)
Rune Bag (Cathedral with Lilith)
D6 (Cathedral with ???)
Fate (Chest with ???)
Bomb Bag (Cathedral with Cain)
The Nail (Boss Rush with Azazel)
Store Credit (Chest with Lazarus)
Pandora's Box(Dark Room with Lazarus)

Damage:
Mom's Knife (Sheol with Isaac)
Curved Horn (Dark Room with Judas)
Abbadon (Dark room with Azazel)

Survivability:
Kiss of the Serpent (Sheol with Lilith)
Maw of the Void(Hush with Azazel)
Satanic Bible (Cathedral with Azazel)

Comedy:
Eden's Blessing (Hush with Eden)

I'd also argue for Sacrificial Knife (Cathedral with Eve) and Guillotine (Cathedral with Judas) but Guillotine can be kind of annoying to use and Sacrificial Knife is strong defensively but kind of risky to use offensively
also all the lost unlocks are very powerful but :v:

Toxxupation posted:

it's a pretty simple list: unlock the d6, then unlock all of lilith's items

Cambion Conception seems kind of not great :v:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

ohrwurm posted:

Well I just had a completely broken run. Epic fetus which was somehow amplified by ipecac, doing over 10k a hit.

Epic Fetus has some fun synergies. I had diplopa, doubled up epic fetus and then found mutant spider.

I had 6 missiles dropping one after the other. Pretty cool.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Zoness posted:

It's pretty good. Using a sacrifice room or blood bank to get Lil Brim or Dark Bum is awesome.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Even if you hate Maggy, try to at least clear the Cathedral with her, asap.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Zoness posted:

Cambion Conception can give you Succubus, Incubus, Dark Bum, and Lil Brimstone for playing blood banks, sacrifice rooms, or just getting hit normally (which, let's be real, most of us do anyway). At worst, you get a Leech or Demon Baby, which are still useful, especially if you have Box of Friends.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm not sure why I have so much trouble with ??? in Rebirth. My post it note for him is completely empty, and I'm trying to remember how I used him to great effect in the original isaac...

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Zoness posted:

it's easily one of the most powerful passives in the game, mostly by turning hp-ups into increased damage output

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also yeah it has a 4/6 chance of giving you a dark bum, and you're guaranteed to get one of dark bum, brimstone, or Incubus, the three best familiars in the game

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Eden's Blessing is cool but I'm still kinda bitter about the time it gave me a Oujia Board on the next run I did (it was with the lost)

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
To give you an idea of how dire today's Daily is, I died and I still somehow ranked 372.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Today's daily was fine, but it's yet another reminder that you shouldn't pick up Fire Mind.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Today's daily lets you do this

But also there's almost 0 soul hearts. I missed the boss rush by 5 seconds and then died in womb 2 due to a combination of no soul hearts and sucking

Fistrockbone
Nov 30, 2006

Tetracube posted:

Today's daily lets you do this

But also there's almost 0 soul hearts. I missed the boss rush by 5 seconds and then died in womb 2 due to a combination of no soul hearts and sucking

Today's daily lets you do this too:

Sacrifice room in Sheol gets you to the dark room. I had midas touch from earlier and I picked up a card against humanity. First D20 roll gave me a key bum for even more chests.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i always found the card against humanity to be the most hypocritical of all the "jokes" in binding

Cards against humanity sucks because it's just monkey cheese lol random trying to be as offensive as possible! not like me and my brilliant comedic game where fetuses, bloody vaginas, child abuse, drug addiction, and religion are mocked both endlessly and with no sense of coherence between them or throughline

i mean, seriously, I've been playing binding for going on fuckin like five years now, but every time i pick up card against humanity i suddenly remember how godawful and infantile on literally every level the setting and "humor" of the game is. it's like a cold bath into how actually wretched the aesthetic, design, and perspective it is, when i remember that those walkers are literally vaginas shooting period blood or pills are prescription narcotics or that you use your mom's used tampon as an active item because ewwwwwwwwww gross am I right?! hi-five dudes! ehehehehehehehehehehehe

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

i always found the card against humanity to be the most hypocritical of all the "jokes" in binding

Cards against humanity sucks because it's just monkey cheese lol random trying to be as offensive as possible! not like me and my brilliant comedic game where fetuses, bloody vaginas, child abuse, drug addiction, and religion are mocked both endlessly and with no sense of coherence between them or throughline

i mean, seriously, I've been playing binding for going on fuckin like five years now, but every time i pick up card against humanity i suddenly remember how godawful and infantile on literally every level the setting and "humor" of the game is. it's like a cold bath into how actually wretched the aesthetic, design, and perspective it is, when i remember that those walkers are literally vaginas shooting period blood or pills are prescription narcotics or that you use your mom's used tampon as an active item because ewwwwwwwwww gross am I right?! hi-five dudes! ehehehehehehehehehehehe

You think the card Cards Against Humanity is mocking the game instead of celebrating it? Unless Edmund has said otherwise, that seems like the type of game he'd enjoy. It's not entirely out of line with CAH's humor when the CAH actually sold people a box full of poo poo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i mean it fills the room you're in full of poo poo, to me it always seemed like a pretty cut-and-dry "this game is super lovely" criticism/passive-aggressive complaint

Also, the box of poo poo thing was like two years ago, and binding came out in...what, 2009?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Toxxupation posted:

i mean it fills the room you're in full of poo poo, to me it always seemed like a pretty cut-and-dry "this game is super lovely" criticism/passive-aggressive complaint

Also, the box of poo poo thing was like two years ago, and binding came out in...what, 2009?

The "card against humanity" was a rebirth addition though.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
But Rebirth came out one year ago, which is when the card came into being.

Edit: damnit.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Einwand posted:

The "card against humanity" was a rebirth addition though.

it wasn't in wrath? i coulda fuckin sworn that i used it before rebirth

huh, well maybe it's not meant to be an insult, i dunno

take it back then

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Unlocked the lost, beat boss rush, mom's heart, Isaac & blue baby on the first try. Figure I should see how a Satan run would go. Get my poo poo handed to me for hours straight, can't piece together anything. Find nine lives in basement 1 and say "gently caress it, this is the last one then I'll go do something else". loving claw out a lamb kill fighting room to room like trench warfare.

Decide to give greed mode a shot, beat it on the first try. This loving game.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Toxxupation posted:

it wasn't in wrath? i coulda fuckin sworn that i used it before rebirth

huh, well maybe it's not meant to be an insult, i dunno

take it back then

All of the diamond backed cards/runes were added in Rebirth or Afterbirth.

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
PJAR
LXNP

Brimstone in the first devil room, Mom's knife in the Depths II devil room, and then Tech X in the boss rush.
Brimstone circles followed by a barrage of knives. :getin:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Finishing up the post-it of all the Hush kills, and 1 or 2 Mega Satans. Had a fun game when I started with 20/20 and some damage ups, flight, epic fetus and strange attractor. It was like a smart bomb, with creatures attracted to the crosshair. Every boss only took one shot except Hush and The Lamb. Lamb managed to survive about 3, but Hush was a hard-rear end who almost wore me down.

This makes up for me wasting 2 chaos cards in earlier games. First, you can't kill both Hush forms with one shot from below like I heard you used to be able to (or I hosed it up?) and second, don't fire it at Ultra Greed when he's hanging at the very start because it passes under him. :argh: My own fault, obviously.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Toxxupation posted:

Ed likes CAH to the point of his wife and him making their own cards.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If Edmund didn't want us to hate Maggie, he should probably stop giving her such horrible dailies.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Toxxupation posted:

Hahahaha look at how stupid you are

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Finally unlocked Keeper on a breaking Cain run that included Proptosis, Godhead, and Explosivo. Following several false starts as Cain; I thought he had more damage than he does to start with.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Well, that was the worst daily I've ever played. Or any run at all. Died in the Womb I, with the only damage or tear up being Dead Eye. I can't believe I lasted as long as I did.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
This is only tangentially related to Isaac, but I burned out on it a bit after getting 1001% and decided to give Our Darker Purpose a try as it's clearly inspired by Isaac in many ways. It's fun, but at the same time I can't shake the feeling that it's like playing Isaac with only the weakest items and on pre-buffed Hard mode (i.e. with barely any drops). Almost all the items are rather minor, flat bonuses or just... not very useful or not strong enough. Like, "+25% damage when down to 25% health", or "+10% range", or "Heal 2% for every 5 enemies killed". Thanks, I guess? It's a lot harder too. I may have to call it quits after beating Chapter 2 (equivalent of beating Mom's Heart) cause I haven't been able to make any progress into chapter 3 at all despite putting decent hours into it and it's getting repetitive. The progression in terms of your character build/abilities is not significant enough within a single run.

edit: Yes, an Azazel Mom's Knife/Ipecac run is just what I needed after ODP.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 18, 2015

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I just had a pretty fun run with the blank card and abundance:

After using all my keys:

The aftermath:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Glare Seethe posted:

This is only tangentially related to Isaac, but I burned out on it a bit after getting 1001% and decided to give Our Darker Purpose a try as it's clearly inspired by Isaac in many ways. It's fun, but at the same time I can't shake the feeling that it's like playing Isaac with only the weakest items and on pre-buffed Hard mode (i.e. with barely any drops). Almost all the items are rather minor, flat bonuses or just... not very useful or not strong enough. Like, "+25% damage when down to 25% health", or "+10% range", or "Heal 2% for every 5 enemies killed". Thanks, I guess? It's a lot harder too. I may have to call it quits after beating Chapter 2 (equivalent of beating Mom's Heart) cause I haven't been able to make any progress into chapter 3 at all despite putting decent hours into it and it's getting repetitive. The progression in terms of your character build/abilities is not significant enough within a single run.

edit: Yes, an Azazel Mom's Knife/Ipecac run is just what I needed after ODP.

The game has some seriously anemic bonuses. For all my grouch with Isaac, it at least more often than not keeps you somewhat strong and fast.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Isaac would not be fun if there wasn't a large set of items that fundamentally change how you play and interact so oddly.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Damage in this game is weird. I had the mark, the pact, the pentagram, brimstone, maw of the void, succumbed, synth oil, cat o nine tails, and tech .5 and died to hush's flies because they took 2 or 3 brimstone blasts to kill. You'd have thought I'd be doing more damage than that.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Seeing this made me decide I needed to unlock Blank Card! And boy did I unlock it. Got a Ipecac start with a poo poo load of damage and found Cricket's Head, Guppy's Head, and Succubus and basically rolled through the game + getting boss rush. Then part way through the womb? Found Epic Fetus. That let me get my Hush kill on him. :haw:

On another note, nothing more heart breaking than dying on the Lost with a great run due to my own negligence. Found out Glass Cannon + Dimensional Baby + Epic Fetus + Technology = nothing survives. On my way to Mom on an XL floor I get War as my first boss, somehow lose my Holy Mantel...and walk into a loving fire and die. :negative:

This was my reaction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI6VXlNRrI0

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Every time I see a sacrifice room in a daily run, I use it. And no, it has never worked out for me. Maybe next time will be worth it!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm itching for a new Isaac-like, but Our Darker Purpose isn't it. I like the concept of unlocking permanent stat bonuses over runs, but I feel like it would take dozens of frustrating hours just to feel like base Isaac. And Nuclear Throne is way too fast paced for me. I'm hoping Enter the Gungeon is going to be what I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm itching for a new Isaac-like, but Our Darker Purpose isn't it. I like the concept of unlocking permanent stat bonuses over runs, but I feel like it would take dozens of frustrating hours just to feel like base Isaac. And Nuclear Throne is way too fast paced for me. I'm hoping Enter the Gungeon is going to be what I'm looking for.

Hi yes are you me? Because this is exactly how I feel about these games.

Our Darker Purpose seems interesting at first but after the novelty of it being "inspired" by Binding of Isaac wears off, it's really just not that good of a game. When you are playing Isaac as ??? or Maggie or Lazarus on Hard to get some unlocks or something and you suddenly realize that you've slogged your way through to Depths II and all you've gotten is like range ups and health ups, it starts to feel like a chore and kind of sours your experience. That's how Our Darker Purpose is just all of the time, but it's also harder and less charming and less familiar than Isaac.

I really can't recommend it other than to serve as a method to make you appreciate Rebirth more.